Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
yeah i agree that he's also at fault for the run game not being utilized. but his mistakes are so correctable. the issues raised just don't warrant the guy getting fired imo.
If poor coaching and the team falling apart against sub .500 teams and division rivals isn't a reason to fire a coach, what is?

I mean, come on. As much as Steelers fans loved to criticize Faneca, he really did make the night and day difference he was expected to. Last year D'Brickashaw Ferguson blamed his woes on having to cover Adrian Clarke's ***. As it turns out, that was apparently true.

All of the additions the Jets made this past offseason fell into either one of two categories.

1. Improvements. Damien Woody, Calvin Pace, Brett Favre (yes, Favre was an improvement over what we had last year).
2. Drastic Improvements. Alan Faneca and Kris Jenkins.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
1. Improvements. Damien Woody, Calvin Pace, Brett Favre (yes, Favre was an improvement over what we had last year).
But he wasn't an improvement over what the Dolphins had this year. Favre is more of a reason you aren't in the playoffs than the coach. His play over the last 5 games was horrible. Something like 2 TDs and 9 INTs in that span. And you guys certainly didn't play any real hard opponents in those games.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Mangini I don't think should have been fired. The biggest mistake the jets made was getting brett favre hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:25 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack27 View Post
Mangini I don't think should have been fired. The biggest mistake the jets made was getting brett favre hands down.
apparently, considering they guy they had on their roster until that trade happened and didn't have to give up prime draft picks to get just beat the Jets in their own house to win the division.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
But he wasn't an improvement over what the Dolphins had this year.
But that just makes it worse. Kind of a "look what Pennington can do under a better coaching staff" kind of thing. Because the Dolphins don't exactly have Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin at WR if you know what i mean.

I'm not saying Favre isn't at fault too, but Mangini had to go.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Favre sucked. Straight up sucked. He should be fired also....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
apparently, considering they guy they had on their roster until that trade happened and didn't have to give up prime draft picks to get just beat the Jets in their own house to win the division.
I really couldn't stop laughing when the Jets lost last night. Good for Chad Pennington, always thought he was getting the shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not clear that this wasn't the best move for the Jets. They want to find the right guy who's leading them to where they want to be and if Mangini wasn't felt to be the guy, then fine.

But I don't think he deserved to be fired, at least looking from the outside in. That team had a pretty strong turnaround this year.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
I'm not clear that this wasn't the best move for the Jets. They want to find the right guy who's leading them to where they want to be and if Mangini wasn't felt to be the guy, then fine.

But I don't think he deserved to be fired, at least looking from the outside in. That team had a pretty strong turnaround this year.
They lost to Oakland, San Francisco and Seattle. After the win against Tennessee that had them pegged as a possible Superbowl team, they only won one game and that was due one of the biggest flukes you're ever going to see. And that game was against Buffalo, who was in last place in the AFCE.

The Jets turned it around. And then they turned it back.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
Favre sucked. Straight up sucked. He should be fired also....
I agree... He just looked lost, and uninterested this season, especially the end stretch. You guys got him to lead the ship, while he seemed to just be content on being the passenger while someone else led. I think he was a much better fit in GB. They will always love him there. Here in NY we have so many super stars so for us, the area isn't in awe of him. And quite frankly seeing him consistantly now, I have to say he is the most over hyped QB I ever seen. I still can't believe you guys went from 8-3 superbowl talk to this mess.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:03 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Funny how little things like an offensive scheme and wide receiver play can change a QB's success from how it was in 2007 to how it was in 2008. I don't have any doubts that Favre would've had another 30+ TD and 3500 yard season in Green Bay.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
I have a terrible feeling, and this is the first time I have said this about any team.

Spags to the Jets.
i would love that. but i would be interested to see how Kris Jenkins, David Harris, Calvin Pace, and Vernon Gholston adapt to the 4-3. Yes Jenkins has already ran it but he had his best season arguably in the 3-4. Gholston is a question mark in any D. But our 2 best LBs may not be fit to this D.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:09 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bill Cowher (HC) Josh McDaniels (OC) and Romeo Crennel (DC) for the WIN!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Funny how little things like an offensive scheme and wide receiver play can change a QB's success from how it was in 2007 to how it was in 2008. I don't have any doubts that Favre would've had another 30+ TD and 3500 yard season in Green Bay.
And this right here is why I'm not in favor of getting rid of Favre. In fact, I'd say the Jets are better off drafting a wide receiver after that turd of a season Laveranues Coles had. Now I know why Coles was so upset was Chad was dumped. He needs to have those floaters Chad threw when he was here.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:11 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Gholston is best suited for DE in a 4-3, preferrably on the weakside, though he played effectively on the strongside at Ohio State. He's strong enough, it's just a question of want to. Pace quite obviously thrives in a 3-4 and struggles in a 4-3. New York would need a 3 technique DT to play next to Jenkins, and they'd have a load of DEs with Ellis, Gholston, Thomas, and Pace - though they'd be best putting Pace at SLB.

This is kinda getting ahead of things though, I have a feeling Spanguolo is gonna wind up in Detroit.

And as far as Cowher goes, it really doesn't seem like he's gonna coach anywhere this year.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
i would love that. but i would be interested to see how Kris Jenkins, David Harris, Calvin Pace, and Vernon Gholston adapt to the 4-3. Yes Jenkins has already ran it but he had his best season arguably in the 3-4. Gholston is a question mark in any D. But our 2 best LBs may not be fit to this D.
I'd be more worried about Harris and Pace than Jenkins and Gholston. I look at it this way. If the Jets want to switch back to the 4-3, IMO they need to bring back Jonathan Vilma.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Gholston is best suited for DE in a 4-3, preferrably on the weakside, though he played effectively on the strongside at Ohio State. He's strong enough, it's just a question of want to. Pace quite obviously thrives in a 3-4 and struggles in a 4-3. New York would need a 3 technique DT to play next to Jenkins, and they'd have a load of DEs with Ellis, Gholston, Thomas, and Pace - though they'd be best putting Pace at SLB.

This is kinda getting ahead of things though, I have a feeling Spanguolo is gonna wind up in Detroit.

And as far as Cowher goes, it really doesn't seem like he's gonna coach anywhere this year.

If Spanguolo wound up with the Jets, I'd guess Calvn Pace would fill the role Mathias Kiwanuka was before Osi got hurt. But just the same, if I'm Spanguolo, I'd staying right where I am for the time being and pick my shot.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Favre really got a lot worse as the season went on. The only Jet game I really watched all of was the game against my team. The way they called plays in that game was almost like they were scared of Favre going crazy. They seemed to play it really conservative with him from what I saw.

I just don't get it now. You knew what you were getting when you traded for him. Doesn't make sense that they trade for him then play an offensive scheme to pretty much hold him back.

Quote:
If Spanguolo wound up with the Jets, I'd guess Calvn Pace would fill the role Mathias Kiwanuka was before Osi got hurt. But just the same, if I'm Spanguolo, I'd staying right where I am for the time being and pick my shot.
I think he would be a bad hire considering all the money they spent to bring in guys to run the 3-4.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd be more worried about Harris and Pace than Jenkins and Gholston. I look at it this way. If the Jets want to switch back to the 4-3, IMO they need to bring back Jonathan Vilma.
thats who i meant by our best 2 LBs. Do you think HArris could play the 4-3 MLB spot
Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jinx would be absolutely fine in the 4-3. Gholston would probably be better in the 4-3 to be quite frank. Harris is a question mark but I think he could be alright. Pace is a big question mark because he didn't seem to click till he was in the 3-4, same goes for Thomas though he isn't exactly a stud in the 3-4. Serviceable though. Kenyon Coleman probably doesn't have a good fit, Ellis stays outside at end presumably with Thomas and some of our other guys. Mosely moves inside, not sure what happens with DeVito. We'd definitely need a guy to start next to Jenkins inside, figure out what the best fit for Harris is and find somebody to start by him. Not sure who starts at WLB, and Pace I presume is SLB but not sure I like that fit too much.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I just don't get it now. You knew what you were getting when you traded for him. Doesn't make sense that they trade for him then play an offensive scheme to pretty much hold him back.
Because this is the Jets we're talking about here.

Quote:
I think he would be a bad hire considering all the money they spent to bring in guys to run the 3-4.
Well, think of it this way.

Move Gholston and Thomas to RDE, move Calvin Pace to SLB, trade David Harris to Baltimore, likely for a first rounder and bring back Vilma and there you go, conversion back to the 4-3.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
thats who i meant by our best 2 LBs. Do you think HArris could play the 4-3 MLB spot
Nope. If the Jets move back to the 4-3, I thinkhe's gonna have to be traded to a team like Arizona or Baltimore.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because this is the Jets we're talking about here.

Well, think of it this way.

Move Gholston and Thomas to RDE, move Calvin Pace to SLB, trade David Harris to Baltimore, likely for a first rounder and bring back Vilma and there you go, conversion back to the 4-3.
Highly doubt they get Vilma back, and Calvin Pace was a bust until Arizona started running a little 3-4.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Highly doubt they get Vilma back, and Calvin Pace was a bust until Arizona started running a little 3-4.
Yep, but that was Arizona and Spags knows what to do with guys like Calvin Pace.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Yep, but that was Arizona and Spags knows what to do with guys like Calvin Pace.
And what is that exactly?