Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:09 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

#1 - Franchise QB (Or if none available - BPA)

#20 - BPA

Very simple, when you have so many needs, targetting specific positions will only hurt you (exception being QB).
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best Case

Draft a LT and a DE and sign Matt Cassell

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the decider13 View Post
Unless there is a "Can't miss" quarterback like peyton manning in the draft, I would take the best lineman available. Runningbacks have short shelf lives, and an amazing line can make decent runningbacks and quarterbacks look great. See: New York Giants
I guess Eli Manning (#1 pick) is decent.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:55 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

When rebuilding I think it is always smart to have at least a 3 year plan. That said, I think they have to get a franchise QB, but i'm not sure it has to be this year. If I am rebuilding a team, i'm signing a veteran QB. I'll target a more permanent replacement in the following years so in the first year I'd try to solidify their OL and D first.

Optimally I think they should try to trade out of the top pick but I doubt that happens so i'll go with what I got.

First things first, Hire Mike Shanahan. He is a proven winner and should be able to instill that culture in Detroit.

Next I'd sign a WCO vet like Chris Simms, Brett Favre or Jeff Garcia. I know either is a long term answer but there will be some FA QB's coming available in the future that could be a long term answer.

Now, FA I target some guys to help turn the corner. I want young hungry guys that need a shot. To go along with Ernie Simms I'd grab Karlos Dansby. He won't command huge money and will be outstanding for the price.

Next thing i'm doing is grabbing some DL. Albert Haynesworth and Chris Canty would be my FA aquistions there. I'd keep an eye on Peppers and Suggs as well, trying to get one if I could but you don't want to tie up too much money in one area when rebuilding.

Now, i'd target some CB and S help. I like Leigh Bodden but he needs some help. Bryant McFadden and Jabari Greer are some young guys that shouldn't be overly expensive that we can lure in with our new coach.

now comes the draft. I think the OL and DL are the way to go when rebuilding a team. Since we have some DL movement already i'll focus on adding to the offensive side of the ball.

1. Andre Smith, OT Bama (The best OT prospect protecting my vet's back side...)

20. Duke Robinson, OG, OU (The best OG prospect ready to plow the way for huge yardage)

33. Alex Mack, C, Cal (Someone has to drop out of the 1st round, Right? He probably won't be there but for fun sakes i'll take a stroke of luck and say he drops to them here)

64. Phil Loadholt, OT, OU (I couldn't resist.. If we are going to rebuild the lion's OL then let's do it right, shall we? Move Jeff Backus to OG and we are golden on the OL.

83 Jasper Brinkley, ILB, SC ( Sims, Brinkley, Dansby, not bad)

97 Michael Hamlin, S, Clemson (what a present in this pick! Mcfadden and Bodden as CB's with Greer and Hamlin back there, not bad)

129 Graham Harrel, QB, Texas Tech (Project QB, but could be really good with time to throw. This years Colt Brennan)

161 Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly-SLO (Could be the Colston of this draft)

193 Javorski Lane, FB, Texas A&M (285 lb's of love plowing the way for Kevin Smith. I'll take it!)
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They have picks 1 and 20 AND 33. That's three picks of guys who they will have put a first round grade on. I think the best bet is to fill 3 of the most important positions a team has: QB, LT, and DE. Take Matthew Stafford #1 overall and BPA at 20 and 33, putting a premium on DEs and OTs on their draftboard so it's more likely that one is taken with those two picks. MLB and CB are big candidates too.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsagan77 View Post
When rebuilding I think it is always smart to have at least a 3 year plan. That said, I think they have to get a franchise QB, but i'm not sure it has to be this year. If I am rebuilding a team, i'm signing a veteran QB. I'll target a more permanent replacement in the following years so in the first year I'd try to solidify their OL and D first.

Optimally I think they should try to trade out of the top pick but I doubt that happens so i'll go with what I got.

First things first, Hire Mike Shanahan. He is a proven winner and should be able to instill that culture in Detroit.

Next I'd sign a WCO vet like Chris Simms, Brett Favre or Jeff Garcia. I know either is a long term answer but there will be some FA QB's coming available in the future that could be a long term answer.

Now, FA I target some guys to help turn the corner. I want young hungry guys that need a shot. To go along with Ernie Simms I'd grab Karlos Dansby. He won't command huge money and will be outstanding for the price.

Next thing i'm doing is grabbing some DL. Albert Haynesworth and Chris Canty would be my FA aquistions there. I'd keep an eye on Peppers and Suggs as well, trying to get one if I could but you don't want to tie up too much money in one area when rebuilding.

Now, i'd target some CB and S help. I like Leigh Bodden but he needs some help. Bryant McFadden and Jabari Greer are some young guys that shouldn't be overly expensive that we can lure in with our new coach.

now comes the draft. I think the OL and DL are the way to go when rebuilding a team. Since we have some DL movement already i'll focus on adding to the offensive side of the ball.

1. Andre Smith, OT Bama (The best OT prospect protecting my vet's back side...)

20. Duke Robinson, OG, OU (The best OG prospect ready to plow the way for huge yardage)

33. Alex Mack, C, Cal (Someone has to drop out of the 1st round, Right? He probably won't be there but for fun sakes i'll take a stroke of luck and say he drops to them here)

64. Phil Loadholt, OT, OU (I couldn't resist.. If we are going to rebuild the lion's OL then let's do it right, shall we? Move Jeff Backus to OG and we are golden on the OL.

83 Jasper Brinkley, ILB, SC ( Sims, Brinkley, Dansby, not bad)

97 Michael Hamlin, S, Clemson (what a present in this pick! Mcfadden and Bodden as CB's with Greer and Hamlin back there, not bad)

129 Graham Harrel, QB, Texas Tech (Project QB, but could be really good with time to throw. This years Colt Brennan)

161 Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly-SLO (Could be the Colston of this draft)

193 Javorski Lane, FB, Texas A&M (285 lb's of love plowing the way for Kevin Smith. I'll take it!)
Switch Brinkley and Barden.. and take out Lane and put in McCall or Sutherland.

Javorski Lane is 285lbs of piss poor attitude and crybaby on the sidelines.

You already have Gosder Cherilus, don't waste a pick on Loadholt.

Grab a DT or DE there.

And if you're still a cover 2 I think you'd be better off with a guy like Scott McKillop than Jasper Brinkley.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:07 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I once was high on Jasper Brinkley, but he's clearly too stiff to play in the NFL IMO, and I watch every USC game I can. I'd take him in the third at the earliest.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 PM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

My bad, forgot about Gosder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Switch Brinkley and Barden.. and take out Lane and put in McCall or Sutherland.

Javorski Lane is 285lbs of piss poor attitude and crybaby on the sidelines.

You already have Gosder Cherilus, don't waste a pick on Loadholt.

Grab a DT or DE there.

And if you're still a cover 2 I think you'd be better off with a guy like Scott McKillop than Jasper Brinkley.
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that you've got to build your trenches, Culpepper or Orlovsky aren't terrible options for one or two seasons and in that time you can build a pretty solid line.

I think they should go LT, DE and then BPA, their franchise is so terrible, they can pretty much draft anywhere and get an upgrade.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:38 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFL GM's know what serves a team best. They show it on draft day year after year. All you have to do is look at the last 15 years of drafting to understand that it all starts with the QB position.
Ryan and Flacco show clearly what it means if you find a franchise QB, your franchise becomes an immediate contender. Miami and St. Louis passed on Ryan, Miami got extremely lucky to find its QB in FA and prospered, however their long term prognosis isn't as bright as Atlanta's as Pennington may not be around much longer and is hardly a QB who looks like he can win a SB. St. Louis passed on Ryan and anybody can see the results.
It doesn't matter if one flops here and there, if you get one that is good, your set for a decade and maybe even longer. Playoff teams change every year but the teams with franchise QB's are there almost every year.
Fans can say this or that position, but in the end team's GM's have shown over the last 15 years that QB is the position they chose to build around.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 01-03-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 AM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I guess Eli Manning (#1 pick) is decent.
Yes...because #1 pick defines how good a player is?

BTW thank you for ignoring my other point about decent running backs. I guess having the best rushing attack with a three running back commitee of decent backs isn't worth mentioning.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Last edited by the decider13 : 01-04-2009 at 03:41 AM.
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:54 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For building an offense from scratch: LT + QB

I don't really believe in first round RBs. I'd rather build a ridiculously good line and grab a RB in the middle rounds. Giant holes make better running backs than excellent running skills.

For the Lions: LT, DE, MLB or LT, DE, NT

I'd hand the keys to the franchise to Drew Stanton...unless Mark Sanchez comes out. If he were available with the later first round pick, I'd grab him. If Stanton doesn't even show promise in a full season of starting, the Lions will have a top 5 pick for a QB next year.

No matter what, it's not getting done in a year. That franchise needs to build for about 4 years.

Last edited by Monomach : 01-04-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LMAO at the guy saying to spend their first FOUR picks on offensive linemen. That'll turn out well, 4 rookie linemen...

If I were the Lions heres how I do things...

1. Stafford
20. Mack
33. Beckwith

Get the C to QB connection out of the way right away. These two guys can be like Peyton and Saturday.

Then they get a real inside linebacker with some talent. Paris Lenon is the least instinctive starting inside linebacker Ive seen this year. Dizon is like 210 pounds and might as well be playing special teams. I'm assuming Beckwith is a BPA here though because thats the route they should go with.

With the rest of their picks... BPA obviously...

Free Agency, get what they can. Lets be real, no one wants to go to Detroit unless they're offering more than market price at this point. Even before this year that has been the case. What big name free agents have signed with the Lions recently? No one? They're all the old cast-offs from other Tampa-2 teams on defense and on offense they are all scrubs that were cut or drafted by the Lions.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote