Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Russ Grimm Not a Hot HC Candidate?

Why is Grimm not getting any love from any of these teams looking for a HC? I don't get it. The man's resume speaks for itself, I think he'd do a great job as a HC, yet not even 1 interview? Really? Not even 1?

Is there something they know that we don't? What gives?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:56 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe it's just a simple oversight. That or his name is being overshadowed by all the big names flying around being fired etc. Personally i could imagine that the broncos and the lions have looked at him. He would be ideal for the Lions he is a hard nosed guy, amazing Oline insight (What the lions need).
Personally for me though i dont see him as a head coach, not yet any way, maybe move him up the ranks to an OC but the man has been an Oline coach since he was a tight ends coach in the mid 90's. Some teams who are in dire need of a turnaround may not be willing to take a chance on a decade long Oline coach over people who have experience as OC's DC's and HC's. I would love to see him get what he deserves, hes been one of the most unsung coaches of the past decade.
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
Maybe it's just a simple oversight. That or his name is being overshadowed by all the big names flying around being fired etc. Personally i could imagine that the broncos and the lions have looked at him. He would be ideal for the Lions he is a hard nosed guy, amazing Oline insight (What the lions need).
Personally for me though i dont see him as a head coach, not yet any way, maybe move him up the ranks to an OC but the man has been an Oline coach since he was a tight ends coach in the mid 90's. Some teams who are in dire need of a turnaround may not be willing to take a chance on a decade long Oline coach over people who have experience as OC's DC's and HC's. I would love to see him get what he deserves, hes been one of the most unsung coaches of the past decade.
a good HC doesn't necessarily need to be a great X and O guy. i think thats one of the bigger misconceptions of the position. guys like Cowher, Schotty, even to a lesser extent (way less) Mike Singletary were never guys who wowed you with their Xs and Os.

HC is all about personality and accountability. the team takes on the personality of its HC, and to an extent, its qb. always. HCs need to motivate and establish an identity to their team, and the coordinators do the coordinating.

I think Grimm would do an excellent job as a HC, even if he's not a great X and O guy. he surely knows to hire the right people around him, with all his experience in the league and his interactions with quality coaches in Pittsburgh.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why him and not countless other people that are just as qualified? He was a hot name a few years ago, if he wasn't going to get a job then (especially with the Steelers and Redskins) I don't see why he would now.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
a good HC doesn't necessarily need to be a great X and O guy. i think thats one of the bigger misconceptions of the position. guys like Cowher, Schotty, even to a lesser extent (way less) Mike Singletary were never guys who wowed you with their Xs and Os.

HC is all about personality and accountability. the team takes on the personality of its HC, and to an extent, its qb. always. HCs need to motivate and establish an identity to their team, and the coordinators do the coordinating.

I think Grimm would do an excellent job as a HC, even if he's not a great X and O guy. he surely knows to hire the right people around him, with all his experience in the league and his interactions with quality coaches in Pittsburgh.
very fair, point. I think he would struggle if he were to go to a very poor franchise with his inexperience at the position. I would like to see the Jets and the Broncos take a look at him, I think he could work wonders in Denver.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Why him and not countless other people that are just as qualified? He was a hot name a few years ago, if he wasn't going to get a job then (especially with the Steelers and Redskins) I don't see why he would now.
im not saying there aren't other guys qualified, i just don't get why this guy wasn't given a chance though.

its one thing to not get a job, but not even an interview? even when he interviewed for the Pitt job, not many other teams were knocking on his door to interview him. im just curious as to why thats the case.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For some reason O-Line coaches get stereotyped as to not being good head coaches apparentley is the reason Grimm hasn't been getting serious consideration.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe he doesn't interview well. Maybe he's not very smart. Maybe there's a bias against fat people (well, not maybe, there IS a bias against fat people).

But there are other people with lots of hires that haven't gotten jobs (Ron Rivera, Rex Ryan, Norm Chow). I don't really know the rhyme or reason, but Russ Grimm isn't a guy that's screaming out to me that he deserves a HC job.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

thats true, there are a lot of guys who've been getting snubbed.

i would love Ryan to become the Giants DC if Spags leaves, but thats not gonna happen.

I really want to see Norm Chow get a chance.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

Quote:
thats true, there are a lot of guys who've been getting snubbed.

i would love Ryan to become the Giants DC if Spags leaves, but thats not gonna happen.

I really want to see Norm Chow get a chance.
Norm Chow will be fine as long as he is your QB's coach and nothing else. he did an awful job as tennessees OC he called such predictable and unimaginable plays. trust me you dont want him
Old 01-02-2009, 07:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Norm Chow will be fine as long as he is your QB's coach and nothing else. he did an awful job as tennessees OC he called such predictable and unimaginable plays. trust me you dont want him
are you sure it wasn't just Vince Young sucking ass?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

Quote:
are you sure it wasn't just Vince Young sucking ass?
LOL vince young sucking ass never helps anyone, but his playcalling was very predictable and unimaginative. the defense were never uncomfortable when they faced us they never found themselves on there toes. He is a very good QB's coach but as an OC he was a royal faliure with the titans. Still wish we had taken Jay Cutler back then and not Vince Young. Lets see, VY can scramble but will never be an elite passer, JC can scramble and can and is sometimes an elite QB...still confuses me
Old 01-02-2009, 07:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
LOL vince young sucking ass never helps anyone, but his playcalling was very predictable and unimaginative. the defense were never uncomfortable when they faced us they never found themselves on there toes. He is a very good QB's coach but as an OC he was a royal faliure with the titans. Still wish we had taken Jay Cutler back then and not Vince Young. Lets see, VY can scramble but will never be an elite passer, JC can scramble and can and is sometimes an elite QB...still confuses me
im surprised you guys haven't run any wildcat with Young this year.

maybe saving that for the playoffs?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

Quote:
im surprised you guys haven't run any wildcat with Young this year.

maybe saving that for the playoffs?
it would be nice but the problem is he may end up crying. I think we have some potential to run the wildcat i mean young is a 6ft 5 deep threat, lendale white is...**** but servicable and chris johnson is incredibly dangerous with the football so yeh i would love to see it but not unless we are behind late in the game or quite far ahead late in the game, id be anxious to see it pulled off. but if kansas can send tyler thigpen deep we sure as hell can send VY deep
Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
it would be nice but the problem is he may end up crying. I think we have some potential to run the wildcat i mean young is a 6ft 5 deep threat, lendale white is...**** but servicable and chris johnson is incredibly dangerous with the football so yeh i would love to see it but not unless we are behind late in the game or quite far ahead late in the game, id be anxious to see it pulled off. but if kansas can send tyler thigpen deep we sure as hell can send VY deep
use him as one of the "RBs" in the formation.

screw it, might as well get something out of him.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

Quote:
use him as one of the "RBs" in the formation.

screw it, might as well get something out of him.
thats like drawing blood from a stone....he did pretty poorly against a load of second stringers in indy. I would like to see us do something with or $50 million man instead of having him sit on the sideline with the inevitable fact he will never be elite hanging over every fans head. Id love to see us bring in a rookie QB to compete this offseason in the second or third round hopefuly kick him up the ass and get him working
Old 01-02-2009, 07:53 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maybe there's a bias against fat people (well, not maybe, there IS a bias against fat people).
To be a head football coach? I don't think so

Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

It took Charlie Weis forever to get a head coaching job, he needed to have surgery just to get it, ditto Romeo Crennel. Mike Holmgren wasn't fat when he started out, and Maryland and Kansas aren't exactly hot coaching jobs.

You've got me on Andy Reid though.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bill Parcels and Mangini arent exactly thin either

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
For some reason O-Line coaches get stereotyped as to not being good head coaches apparentley is the reason Grimm hasn't been getting serious consideration.
Tony Sparano and Tom Cable say hi.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
To be a head football coach? I don't think so

Weis is such a fat ass.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maybe there's a bias against fat people (well, not maybe, there IS a bias against fat people).
job.
As there should be when it comes to sports. I wouldn't want a fat man being the one that has to tell my players to run that extra mile or stay in shape in the off season.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Grimm is the guy I have been wanting for the Niners OC since last year.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:39 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Position coaches don't usually make that jump directly to HC without at least being a proven coordinator first.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 AM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

The Cards are still in the playoffs.

I bet if/when they lose, he'll be getting more talk.
skinzzfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote