Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:49 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Season in Review

Well, in general it was a complete waste. Carson getting hurt sure destroyed things. The offensive line was playing horrible for a bulk of the season, they did improve and it was nice to see Collins grow.

However, as a unit I have to say I am very pleased with the defense. They kept us in some games with that awful offense and they were really by far the strength of this team (not saying much but still). We saw some young guys finally living up to their potential on the defensive end. Hall was one of the best players on the team all year, Chinny has potential to be a pro bowler and soon... He's a monster. Brandon Johnson is a stud, hopefully they find a way to keep him on the field next year. Dhani Jones might be ancient but he was very steady this year and really helped the defense as a whole I think. Peko is a monster, I will say I'm disappointed in our ends performance this year. Zimmer really brought to the table what this defense needed.

It's no consolation prize as we should've never been to this point but for the guys to keep fighting at the end of the season says something to me and it's good for heading into next season. They are pro athletes, they're paid to care but we all know that's not always the case but they went out there and played like they were going for the playoffs.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was an even more injury plagued season than usual.
We need to focus on linebacker and DE to get pass rush in round one.

I am confident enough in Collins that we can look in round 2-4 for OT.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was also impressed with the fact that despite the injuries that just destroyed the defense, the replacements did a good job. That would've never happened with Breshnahan. There were a couple hiccups in there but generally the defense sustained quality play throughout the season. They were put in bad spots all year because of how awful the offense was.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like that these guys played with the fire they did. They knew playing hard now meant a chance to play next year. Guys like Crocker, and Brandon Johnson all played their guts out the last few weeks of a lost season. Makes me think Zim has gotten full control of this defense.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

And do you all realize that in the second half of the season we had a WINNING record?

4-3-1... Go figure.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Hey, it shows that we didnt deserve to be on the front page poll of worst franchises. We dont win often, but at least our owners havent gotten up and left us.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 12-28-2008, 09:19 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Hey, it shows that we didnt deserve to be on the front page poll of worst franchises. We dont win often, but at least our owners havent gotten up and left us.
I kinda wish our owner would leave us though...and we could get a new owner!
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was not in attendance for a game that we lost this year! only made it to three but still.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

19th scoring defense
12th total defense

This defense could actually be in the GOOD category next season. Zimmer is the man, I'm just impressed with the adjustments he made when we lost all that talent due to injuries. I don't care how bad the offenses we played were, if that was against a Breshnahan defense they still would've got their points.... The guy had no ability to adjust but Zimmer does.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
I was not in attendance for a game that we lost this year! only made it to three but still.
quick solution: Go to more games then.

Zim is gonna have this defense at such a high level next year if we get him some pass rushers. Look what we did with nearly 0 pass rush.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:

Zim is gonna have this defense at such a high level next year if we get him some pass rushers. Look what we did with nearly 0 pass rush.
You're not kidding, 2nd worst team at getting to the passer yet 15th best in pass defense. Good job by the secondary.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I will be next year. This year has been way too busy for me.

I really liked how players such as Domata Peko, Pat Sims, Leon Hall, Ndukwe, Brandon Johnson, Keith Rivers, and Chris Crocker have all either emerged as talented players or continued to progress to levels we all knew they could attain. Domata Peko and Leon Hall have especially become stalwarts on this defense. They have been the two most impressive players on this unit the entire year. Leon stepped up tremendously in the absence of JJ and he proved that he can be a #1 CB in this league even if he isn't an elite athlete like JJ is.

Keith Rivers and Pat Sims both played very well this season. It's a shame Rivers didn't get to play a full season but he really progressed nicely which gives me enough confidence to say he could be a GREAT WLB in the future. Sims played just as good as any rookie DT out there and may quiet those who were proponents of moving up to get Sedrick Ellis/Glenn Dorsey in this past year's draft. He has barely scratched the surface as far as his potential is concerned and he could be part of a great duo of DTs alongside Peko.

I think the jury is still out on Marvin White but Chinedum Ndukwe proved once again he could be an All-Pro in the very near future and that last season wasn't just a fluke. He was injured a good amount but when he played he was our biggest playmaker. Chris Crocker has come in and played very well proving that he should be resigned by this team. I am personally not sold on him as a starting safety but I think he can be a big help to Chinny and Marvin which would allow us to let DJax go(finally).

Brandon Johnson has been a fantastic pick up from the offseason. Ever since he stepped on the field in camp he has been impressive and it's almost a shame we couldn't find a spot on the field for him because of Rivers(though its a good problem to have). He should definitely be resigned and given even more playing time next year because he is awesome. Dhani Jones has also been pretty darn good this year too. Though he's probably not in our future plans I really respect him for what he's done this year. He's provided great leadership for a young defense in desperate need of just that.

Enough ranting but this defense was pretty darn good and surpassed many of our expectations. I don't think it would be much of a stretch to say that the unit is not really complete yet either which is VERY encouraging. Mike Zimmer has proven to be a fantastic hire. If our offense had shown some semblance of its former self, we'd have been in the playoff discussion.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will post much more after the Missouri-Northwestern game, but I believe Cedric Benson deserves some mention. Benson along with Chris Crocker were both good midseason pickups.

Benson's on the field performance speaks for itself, with a very strong finish to the season. However, more importantly is how he turned himself around and perhaps resurrected his career. He was a model citizen in Cincinnati, in the locker room, and apparently developed great chemistry with teammates. He proved himself worthy of a contract extension and I'll be happy to see him back in stripes. A good sign for the future of his team. Once thought to be done, after being drafted 4th Overall in just 2005, he flashed the talent that warranted that pick while displaying none of the qualities that lost him his job in Chicago. A great pick-up and I feel comfortable with him as the future of our RB spot.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
I will post much more after the Missouri-Northwestern game, but I believe Cedric Benson deserves some mention. Benson along with Chris Crocker were both good midseason pickups.

Benson's on the field performance speaks for itself, with a very strong finish to the season. However, more importantly is how he turned himself around and perhaps resurrected his career. He was a model citizen in Cincinnati, in the locker room, and apparently developed great chemistry with teammates. He proved himself worthy of a contract extension and I'll be happy to see him back in stripes. A good sign for the future of his team. Once thought to be done, after being drafted 4th Overall in just 2005, he flashed the talent that warranted that pick while displaying none of the qualities that lost him his job in Chicago. A great pick-up and I feel comfortable with him as the future of our RB spot.
I agree Pudge and totally forgot to mention him. I still think we should draft a RB but it wouldn't need to be until later unless a big time player falls into our laps. They could let Perry walk then draft a RB to complement Benson.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
I agree Pudge and totally forgot to mention him. I still think we should draft a RB but it wouldn't need to be until later unless a big time player falls into our laps. They could let Perry walk then draft a RB to complement Benson.
I agree, but only if one falls into our laps. This team has has it's success with smashmouth running. With that being said, Shonn Greene in the 3rd works for me, as does Andre Brown in the 5th. I don't feel the need to create a "Smash n' Dash" type tandem and I find that two power backs can be just as effective, perhaps more effective in terms of wearing down defensive fronts. Now, if CJ Spiller is there in the 3rd with a little luck, I can't say no to that.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:28 AM    (permalink
MooshooGawd
Rookie

MooshooGawd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It is odd that we've had the most injured team in the NFL the past few seasons. Is that bad luck or is there something wrong with their strength and conditioning program?
MooshooGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooshooGawd View Post
It is odd that we've had the most injured team in the NFL the past few seasons. Is that bad luck or is there something wrong with their strength and conditioning program?
I assumed it was Marvin overworking the little talent we actually have. But I have no idea tbh.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote