Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC South Division Forum

NFC South Division Forum Discuss the NFC South

Old 12-31-2008, 02:47 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would agree Gross is better than Clabo.

But I think Blalock is better than Sears.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:51 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Last year Sears was rock solid in the run game, both straight up and on pulls. He made a couple mental mistakes, but that's all. At the same time, I remember us beating Blalock a couple times.

This year, I'd say even because I haven't noticed either (good thing).

Hence why I give Sears the advantage, but it's close. Sears would be more of a standout if he wasn't sandwiched between 2 mediocre and undersized run blockers (Penn and Faine).

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry for the double post. I didn't feel like editing my last one.

All-NFC South Team.

QB Drew Brees
RB DeAngelo Williams (sorry Turner)
FB Ovie Mughelli
WR Steve Smith
WR Roddy White
TE Alex Smith
LT Jordan Gross
LG Justin Blalock
C Jeff Faine
RG Davin Joseph
RT Jeff Otah

DE John Abraham
DE Julius Peppers
DT Jonathan Babineaux
DT Jovan Haye (i dont know how he was this year. this is mostly off of last year I guess)
OLB Derrick Brooks
MLB Jon Beason
OLB Thomas Davis
CB Chris Gamble
CB Ronde Barber (jk. its Ken Lucas i guess)
SS Chris Harris
FS Tanard Jackson

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:59 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
That's perfectly fair if you're holding out judgment for another season. I'll give you that chance and say "let's wait another year", because I'm extremely confident that Bryant will continue his improvement.
Thanks for giving me that chance ;)

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 12-31-2008, 02:59 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haye was below-average this year. Babineaux looked much better from what I saw.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Haye was below-average this year. Babineaux looked much better from what I saw.
Babs was easily the best DT in the NFC South this season. He was one of the better ones in the NFL too, but his breakout season was very quiet. I hope we can get a big body next to him.

I didn't know who to put for the 2nd DT. Not too many outstanding candidates. I thought about Sedrick Ellis...

Old 12-31-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Oh my bad I didn't look at the other DT so I thought you left him off the list. I was shocked....

Ellis is right in Haye territory. IDK.....

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-31-2008, 03:40 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Yeah. The NFC S doesn't look too good at the DT position anymore (Coleman, Jenkins, Sapp :()

Old 12-31-2008, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

What the hell?

Falcons fans are trying to use "consistency" from White over Bryant?

http://www.nfl.com/players/roddywhit...s?id=WHI472686

Two good years make you consistent?

Maybe we are all overrating our players.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

2 out of 4 seasons...He didn't come in and dominate right away, but there are only a few receivers who do that (Moss, Boldin, Fitzgerald).

Since the magical 3rd year breakout season, he has not disappointed.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB- Drew Brees, Saints...Easy choice. Matt Ryan is very good and will get to the point where he is at or above Brees' level, but Brees is amazing right now.
RB- Michael Turner, Falcons...DeAngelo Williams is very good, but Michael Turner carried the Falcons and has something that Williams does not- the ability to tote the rock 30 times a game, every game.
FB- Ovie Mughelli, Falcons...Pure run blocker who punishes defenders.
WR- Steve Smith, Panthers...Pound for pound the best receiver in the league. If he was 6'0" or taller he would be the best. Period.
WR- Roddy White, Falcons...Very productive in a run oriented offense. Great, maybe amazing, talent.
TE- Jeremy Shockey, Saints...Not extremely productive, but had twice the receptions of any other NFC South tight end, despite missing four games.
LT- Donald Penn, Bucs...A better fit on the left side than the right due to his pass protection skills. John Abraham makes him look silly, but he does that to everyone.
LG- Justin Blalock, Falcons...Mauler at the guard position who can also get to the second level of the defense.
C- Jeff Faine, Bucs...Not many other options. Faine is a high quality, although not elite, center.
RG- Davin Joseph, Bucs...It was either him or Aaron Sears. Went with Joseph due to already playing the position.
RT- Jordan Gross,Panthers...Had to get him on the line somewhere. Better on the right side than Penn due to Penn's struggles in the running game.

LE- Julius Peppers, Panthers...Great athlete with size. More suited for the left side than Abraham due to his size and that he played the position for the majority for his pro career.
NT- Grady Jackson, Falcons...Not many other options, but Grady still clogs the run and gets a lot of penetration in the run and pass game.
UT- John Babineaux, Falcons...Great penetrator from the three technique position. Great pursuit, burst, and explosion.
RE- John Abraham, Falcons...The best pure pass rusher in the league when healthy.
SLB- John Beason, Panthers...Natural middle linebacker, but his speed makes him more fit for the strong side than Ruud.
MLB- Barrett Ruud, Bucs...Tackle machine at middle linebacker.
WLB- Thomas Davis, Panthers...Speed on the weakside. I like it.
CB- Chris Gamble, Panthers...Good play was rewarded with a huge contract.
CB- Ken Lucas, Panthers...Not many other options.
SS- Lawyer Milloy, Falcons...Despite his age, he still gets the job done. Lots of range for an older player, and is a force against the run. Contemplated putting Erik Coleman here.
FS- Tanard Jackson, Bucs...Slightly ahead of Erik Coleman, who was excellent this season.

P- Michael Koenan, Falcons...Least punt return yardage allowed in a regular season in National Football League history.
K- Jason Elam, Falcons...Was 29 of 31 kicking on the year with a long of 50. John Kasey was 28 of 31 kicking on the year with a long of 50. Advantage Elam.

KR- Clifton Smith, Bucs...Tons of production. Great vision. Right ahead of Jerious Norwood.
PR- Reggie Bush, Saints...I selected him over Clifton Smith due to Smith lacking break away speed, something Bush has no problem with.

Most offensive players on my All NFC South team-
1. Atlanta Falcons (4)...I'd say this is accurate. Best offense in the NFC South.
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3)...Not very accurate. The offensive line gives them a boost.
t-3. Carolina Panthers (2)...Accurate. The third best offense in the south.
t-3. New Orleans Saints (2)...Not accurate at all. Arguably the best offense in the league, not just the National Football Conference. But they turn the ball over and lack a running game. I would say they are number two.

Most Defensive Players on my All NFC South Team-
1. Carolina Panthers (5)...Accurate. They finished strong and the Bucs did not, so I would give them the edge there.
2. Atlanta Falcons (4)...Should be number three. The strong defensive line puts them here.
3. Tampa Bay (2)...Should be number two. Solid team defense, not individual defense.
4. New Orleans Saints (0)...Yeah. Accurate.

Most Special Teams Players on my All NFC South Team-
1. Atlanta Falcons (2)...Accurate. Amazing punt unit that allowed less than 50 return yards on the season, great kicker in Jason Elam, great kick returner in Jerious Norwood. Harry Douglas improved our punt return unit significantly. Slacking kickoff team.
t-2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1)...Should probably be the clear cut number two. Great kick and punt return man in Clifton Smith, although he lacks break away speed.
t-2. New Orleans Saints (1)...Reggie Bush got the job done, but he is hurt too often.
4. Carolina Panthers (0)...Good kicking game, lackluster return men.

Most Players on my All NFC South Team-
1. Atlanta Falcons (10)...Eh. With special teams included this is probably accurate.
2. Carolina Panthers (7)...Probably accurate due to their lack of special teams prowess.
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6)...Yeah, third in the conference, third in this ranking.
4. New Orleans Saints (3)...Fourth in conference, fourth in this ranking.

Most non-special teams players on my All NFC South team-
1. Atlanta Falcons (8)...Should probably be tied with Carolina.
2. Carolina Panthers (7)...Should be tied for first. Maybe first clear cut, but I think they have less glaring weaknesses and the Falcons have more standout players.
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5)...Correct, although their offensive line inflated their offensive prowess a bit.
4. New Orleans Saints (2)...Correct, although their offense is great just due to Drew Brees.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 12-31-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

That's probably the best unit I've seen in this thread. Only glaring mishap is Milloy over Phillips.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's probably the best unit I've seen in this thread. Only glaring mishap is Milloy over Phillips.
I would also probably put Sears over Blalock. But good list. Job well done
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
I would also probably put Sears over Blalock. But good list. Job well done
I like Blalock in this one. He has had 8 penalties (5 false starts, 3 holding) but has let up 3 sacks. He has played a huge role in Turner averaging 4.9 yards a carry to the left sideline and 5.6 yards a carry to the left side. Sears has had 6 penalties and let up 4.5 sacks.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
I like Blalock in this one. He has had 8 penalties (5 false starts, 3 holding) but has let up 3 sacks. He has played a huge role in Turner averaging 4.9 yards a carry to the left sideline and 5.6 yards a carry to the left side. Sears has had 6 penalties and let up 4.5 sacks.
Why even bother trying to convince Buc fans that Blalock is better than Sears. You have no chance of swaying our opinions just as we have little chance of swaying yours.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Yeah. Its close, but I am just putting my preference out there.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
4.5 sacks? I don't remember one of them....I wish they kept film of each one...

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2009, 03:58 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Antonio over Roddy? You guys kill me.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Antonio over Roddy? You guys kill me.
Just make sure you don't drop the f-bomb. The other f-bomb.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Just make sure you don't drop the f-bomb. The other f-bomb.
Would it involve some kind of indigestion or burping of some kind as well?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Would it involve some kind of indigestion or burping of some kind as well?
Perhaps.

Just seems that more straight people are concerned with *** sex than **** themselves.

ironic.

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 01-03-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
RB- Michael Turner, Falcons...DeAngelo Williams is very good, but Michael Turner carried the Falcons and has something that Williams does not- the ability to tote the rock 30 times a game, every game.
While I don't want to set off another "Bryant vs. White" battle, I will note that Williams certainly could have handled that type of workload if necessary. It just wasn't necessary with a player like Stewart behind him on the depth chart.

It should also be noted that Turner only had 30+ carries on three occassions. Outside of those games, his attempts were right around Williams' range.

Williams averaged one more yard-per-carry than Turner, Williams scored one more touchdown than Turner, Turner had two lost fumbles on the season while Williams had zero, and Turner had zero receiving touchdowns on the season while Williams had two.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

QB: Drew Brees
RB: Michael Turner
FB: Ovie Mughelli
WR: Roddy White
WR: Steve Smith
TE: none worth mentioning
LT: Jammal Brown
LG: Justin Blalock
C: Jeff Faine
RG: Jahri Evans
RT: Jeff Otah

DE: John Abraham
DT: Jonathan Babineaux
NT: Maake Kemoeatu
DE: Julius Peppers
SLB: Jon Beason
MLB: Barrett Ruud
WLB: Thomas Davis
SS: Jermaine Phillips
FS: Tanard Jackson
CB: Chris Gamble
CB: Chris Houston
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:59 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
While I don't want to set off another "Bryant vs. White" battle, I will note that Williams certainly could have handled that type of workload if necessary. It just wasn't necessary with a player like Stewart behind him on the depth chart.

It should also be noted that Turner only had 30+ carries on three occassions. Outside of those games, his attempts were right around Williams' range.

Williams averaged one more yard-per-carry than Turner, Williams scored one more touchdown than Turner, Turner had two lost fumbles on the season while Williams had zero, and Turner had zero receiving touchdowns on the season while Williams had two.
This is all I have to say about this.

Williams could not handle 373 carries.

And people obviously agree with me because Turner was an easy pick for the AP All Pro team.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Williams is like a 10x better RB than Turner, but I'd take Turner on my team every time. Williams is inconsistent, while Turner will always give your team a fighting chance.

In 2 years, gimme Stewart over both.

sig by BoneKrusher