Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Well obviously Chud would be the top choice, but he isn't in the running anymore, that's why I didn't mention him. Out of the realistic options, I'd say Scherer and Pease would be my top 2.
If we are trying to be realistic, none of these guys are getting the job.

Randy's just throwing the media bone. He isn't gonna drop who his choice is to the media or who he's seriously talking to. He's just giving them the names of guys that faxed in resumes.

Randy is notorious for saying nothing to the media, you think he suddenly is gonna allow the name of the real OC candidate to be dropped on them?

We are talking candidates for fun but I seriously doubt the OC is in the names listed.

That's not Randy's MO.

Plus I think we are aiming a little higher then the names currently on the list.
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stop making it suspenseful joey....you really think the hire will come out of nowhere?

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

My understanding is that we will be getting a guy that is somewhere between a Koetter and a Chuck Long.

The only names mentioned from before that are still in it are Long and Prease.

I couldnt venture to guess who the guy is but Randy is doing fnal interviews as we speak and it should be public next week.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:48 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's what I figured when I read your comment. No clue who it could be though. Tough to imagine Randy just settling on some mediocre candidate, cuz his ass is on the line if we get Nix v2. I don't expect some big marquee name, but I think he's got someone with a lot of experience, a "sure thing" who we know we can rely on to develop players and get a consistent offense. I'm guessing whoever he hires will be a QB coach as well because that position is vacant. Long makes sense, but there's probably some Long clones out there that are flying under the radar.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
That's what I figured when I read your comment. No clue who it could be though. Tough to imagine Randy just settling on some mediocre candidate, cuz his ass is on the line if we get Nix v2. I don't expect some big marquee name, but I think he's got someone with a lot of experience, a "sure thing" who we know we can rely on to develop players and get a consistent offense. I'm guessing whoever he hires will be a QB coach as well because that position is vacant. Long makes sense, but there's probably some Long clones out there that are flying under the radar.
I get the feeling hes looking for a Jason Garrett (pre-dallas cowboy days) type.

Im expecting to see an NFL position coach (likely QB) who is middle aged with a fair amount of experience and considered by many to be a bright offensive mind. Also thinking ull see some collegiate level success somewhere in his backaround.

I cant think of his name right now. but Im expecting it to be along the lines of the Dolphins coach that was previously at Arkansas and brought that wildcat package to the NFL.

Some one like him. He had success at Arkansas. He is inventive with his offense and he hs NFL pro-set experience.

I dont think hes the guy because the wildcat is too gimmicky for Randy, Im just saying, itll be around those lines.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
I get the feeling hes looking for a Jason Garrett (pre-dallas cowboy days) type.

Im expecting to see an NFL position coach (likely QB) who is middle aged with a fair amount of experience and considered by many to be a bright offensive mind. Also thinking ull see some collegiate level success somewhere in his backaround.

I cant think of his name right now. but Im expecting it to be along the lines of the Dolphins coach that was previously at Arkansas and brought that wildcat package to the NFL.

Some one like him. He had success at Arkansas. He is inventive with his offense and he hs NFL pro-set experience.

I dont think hes the guy because the wildcat is too gimmicky for Randy, Im just saying, itll be around those lines.
I don't think he's looking for the up-and-coming type. I think that's too bold and risky for a guy like Randy, lol.

Here's my guess for criteria, in point form:

- Former QB/QB Coach at some level
- Over 45 yo
- College playcalling experience (over 3 years)
- NFL position coach ATM
- Favors the pro style
- Hands-on coach in development

We'll see....I'm really excited/nervous about this. I haven't even though about Randle, Massie, Campbell and then the longshots we might get.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-15-2009, 11:30 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

9,000th post

Old 01-16-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

His thumbs are crossing over....goddamit Graig get the ******* U right....

I wish my gloves were sticky and fresh like that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-16-2009, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3838916

Please make this happen Randy Shannon!
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Wow, whoever makes decisions over there at BC has NO ******* CLUE what they think they're doing. Putting their own stubborn feelings over Ws.....really pathetic. Now they lost both offensive heads....g'bye.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 PM    (permalink
tolnaballa
Rookie

tolnaballa smells like sex panther.tolnaballa smells like sex panther.

I just seen an article that Oklahoma State is going after our Defensive Coordinator Bill Young.
tolnaballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolnaballa View Post
I just seen an article that Oklahoma State is going after our Defensive Coordinator Bill Young.
Not enough info out there yet.

but the money is worrying.

Wait and see mode.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not enough info out there yet.

but the money is worrying.

Wait and see mode.
Just a lot of smoke regarding the whole situation.

He has confirmed to the Miami Herald that he is considering the offer from Okie State, says his wife is from there. Also, it's his alma mater.

No word on a replacement if he does indeed leave.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:29 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Just a lot of smoke regarding the whole situation.

He has confirmed to the Miami Herald that he is considering the offer from Okie State, says his wife is from there. Also, it's his alma mater.

No word on a replacement if he does indeed leave.
Not as worried about the defense as I am the offense.

We could just find a solid old school cover 2 DC and be fine (Maybe even better off but I've always had a cover 2 bias)

But with the amount of talent we are building on defense, we just need to have a guy that has the right coverages lined up and we should be able to stop alot of people.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

I don't like the instability, but it wouldn't be a heartbreaking loss. I can't see him turning down 700K to go to his hometown/alma mater. Then again, South Florida is a nice place to be just before retirement, just ask Bill Parcells.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-20-2009, 12:41 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Since when have you see a human being turn down a chance to double his salary?

Hearing Young would help us find a replacement before he leaves.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:13 AM    (permalink
tolnaballa
Rookie

tolnaballa smells like sex panther.tolnaballa smells like sex panther.

Hearing that our top canidate for defensive coordinator is Georgia's defensive coordinator, Willie Martinez. He played defensive back for the U back in the early 80's.

I have a question for you recruiting junkies. Does Prep School signees go into our team rankings? I thought they did, but I was just making sure. Looking at the signees we have, Brandon Washington and Jermaine Johnson both 4 star o line. Plus could be adding to more prep lineman in Massie and Campbell. Hate to see it not help our ratings out.

Last edited by tolnaballa : 01-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.
tolnaballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolnaballa View Post
Hearing that our top canidate for defensive coordinator is Georgia's defensive coordinator, Willie Martinez. He played defensive back for the U back in the early 80's.

I have a question for you recruiting junkies. Does Prep School signees go into our team rankings? I thought they did, but I was just making sure. Looking at the signees we have, Brandon Washington and Jermaine Johnson both 4 star o line. Plus could be adding to more prep lineman in Massie and Campbell. Hate to see it not help our ratings out.
Every new recruit helps the rankings. Prep and JUCO included.

Willie Martinez was just a name brought up by the Herald. Haven't heard anything with him but pure speculation.

What I have heard is that Bill Young will help find his replacement before he leaves and that worst case scenario, JJ has gotta TT to agree to do it for a year until we have a case to really find a good fit next offseason.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

What's TT?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-20-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Tommy Tubberville
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Hokie_Pokie08
Rookie

Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.

It's official. Bill Young to OK State. Who you guys going to grab to replace him?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:32 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie_Pokie08 View Post
It's official. Bill Young to OK State. Who you guys going to grab to replace him?
Too early to tell.

UGA DC Willie Martinez
UF Co-DC Charlie Strong

those names have been mentioned but are nothing more then rumors at this point.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:34 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tommy Tubberville

I said his name about a month ago when he got fired, I personally would take him over Young any day

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Hokie_Pokie08
Rookie

Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Too early to tell.

UGA DC Willie Martinez
UF Co-DC Charlie Strong

those names have been mentioned but are nothing more then rumors at this point.
Strong would be an excellent choice, but I think he is due for a HC job here before long. Would picking someone that would be another band-aid selection really help y'all out?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Randy Shannon told reporters today if he doesn't get one of his top candidates, he is just going to run the defense himself and probably promote Mike Barrow to Co-DC