Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpads24
Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
THis is a great day in the Raider Nation.

That's why I hate raider fans
they've got nothing else going for them, atleast allow them to have that. :P
:P QFT

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Windy
All-Pro

Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.

i'm a raider fan and just because turner sucked with us doesnt mean he's going to suck with san diego. he had no control over the locker room at all.
just look at our offense when he coached and then look at our offense this year. big difference.
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City Big Gamer Uno
i'm a raider fan and just because turner sucked with us doesnt mean he's going to suck with san diego. he had no control over the locker room at all.
just look at our offense when he coached and then look at our offense this year. big difference.
That's true. People forget that the Oakland offense was functional with Turner. Jordan had 1000 yards rushing and led all runningbacks in receptions. Moss had a 1000 yard season. Porter had a 900 yard season. Kerry Collins is terrible, but he still put up over 3500 yards and had 20 touchdowns.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is what I am thinking; how many coaches have won recently with Al Davis' Raiders? How many coaches have succeeded under Dan Snyder? Even Joe Gibbs has been struggling. So I am not sure you can really label Norv Turner a bad coach, based on struggles, in two horrible situations.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej
Why did I keep on hearing Turner's name mentioned for all these jobs? Why was he such a hot commodity?
I have been asking myself the same thing I believe this is his last chance if he can't win with this talent he is done as a HC.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
kevin148

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
While I agree that Norv just seems like one of those guys who should stay a coordinator, you've gotta admit that with his knowledge on offense and with the weapons he has available (on both sides of the ball) it's gonna be nearly impossible for him to not succeed in SD.
The fact that he previously worked as an offensive coordinator in San Diego doesn't hurt either. People that are expecting the Norv Turner as head coach in Oakland will be sorely dissapointed. The differences between San Diego and Oakland couldn't be more stark.
It's not Singletary I was thinking about...but what about Ron Rivera ? this guy was all the rage during the first 10 weeks of the season, then they make the S.B. and lose. The season ends and what 6 H.C. jobs become availble....the dust settles they all get filled and Rivera still stays in Chicago ?? what gives ?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
While I agree that Norv just seems like one of those guys who should stay a coordinator, you've gotta admit that with his knowledge on offense and with the weapons he has available (on both sides of the ball) it's gonna be nearly impossible for him to not succeed in SD.
The fact that he previously worked as an offensive coordinator in San Diego doesn't hurt either. People that are expecting the Norv Turner as head coach in Oakland will be sorely dissapointed. The differences between San Diego and Oakland couldn't be more stark.
It's not Singletary I was thinking about...but what about Ron Rivera ? this guy was all the rage during the first 10 weeks of the season, then they make the S.B. and lose. The season ends and what 6 H.C. jobs become availble....the dust settles they all get filled and Rivera still stays in Chicago ?? what gives ?
A couple of reasons I think.

1)The only jobs still available after the Superbowl were Dallas and San Diego. The other 4 teams could have waited for him, but teams rarely do.

2)The elite status of the Bears defense is primarily attributed to Lovie, and rightfully so.

3)Rivera has been on record stating that his defense will run the cover 2. For the two jobs available, that would have required a shift in organizational philosophy and some personel.

4)There are many reports that Rivera is a bad interview and comes off as a dick. I've heard from numerous Bears fans that he doesn't come off that well in person either. He's a very fiery personality and again, the two jobs available went to coaches that are percieved to be much more docile and controllable.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
papa burgundy
Rookie

papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.

This sounds oddly too familiar with the whole Mooch fired-Erickson hired drama with the Niners in 03. A well liked players coach fired for lack of aggression and a spat with the GM for a guy who has been a mediocre head coach who seems even more laid back in his approach and is a good friend with the GM? Not to mention they hired arguably one of the worst defensive coordinators in the league. I can't even be mad at Norv for being a **** sucker and yanking the Niners chain around for the past month with all this coaching stuff. I can only stop and laugh at the Chargers from going from one of the best coaching staffs in Cameron-Phillips-Marty to one of the worst in Norv and Ted friggin Cottrell. If I was a Chargers fan I'd be praying to God that a team can win a championship on pure talent and hope the coach won't interfere with that.
papa burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Bohleive hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What a joke. Now AJ Smith has his pawn. They will not win a superbowl with Norv.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea! There offense was tougher to stop than Seattle's I think last year and they lost there Offensive Coordinator!

Eric Church - Homeboy
http://youtu.be/wx-dUsh6OT8
HawkeyeFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
papa burgundy
Rookie

papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16_SFfan_80
A move that set back two teams. Alex Smith now has his third offensive coordinator in three years.
He'll have his 3rd offensive coordinator but Nolan already said he'd hire a guy who knows the system(which will probably be WR coach Jerry Sullivan). The only thing that hurts him is he'll get less QB "tutoriness" from Turner.
papa burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is just HILARIOUS!!!! Norv???!!!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
ZRO
Rookie

ZRO could make a wolverine purr.ZRO could make a wolverine purr.ZRO could make a wolverine purr.ZRO could make a wolverine purr.ZRO could make a wolverine purr.ZRO could make a wolverine purr.

How does this scrub keep getting jobs? Unbelievable.

San Diego is wasting the most talented team in the league on Norval f'n Turner.
ZRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wow, was all of this seriously over the hiring of Ted Cottrell?
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:33 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're just going to have to see how it works out. I know lots of Charger fans are going to be dissapointed with this hire, but the player personnel on the team is still good enough to succeed. If the team underachieves again, then the players should be held accountable. The good thing that can be taken away from the hire is it will help Rivers, especially if another target can be found for him in the draft. The long term success of the franchise is tied directly into Rivers's continue development.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was expecting them to hire a defensive minded guy as their HC.

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I terribel hire by the Chargers b/c he has never been a winner and I don't remeber Cotrell running a 3-4 defense

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
dazuck

Bad move by the Chargers.

Turner has ZERO control over the lockeroom. You know why the players were so happy? It's because they knew 'Uncle Norv' just came to town and they can get away with doing anything they want. Unless Norv puts his foot down, problems will arise later.

Though Norv is great with running backs, making average ones monsters (LaMont Jordan and Frank Gore) So one can only wonder what he could do with LT. I think they could pull it off, but somebody has to step up and be the authority figure that Norv isn't.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is the same feeling we thought when we hired Mike, just gave it sometime who knows what can happen in the NFL these days.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:37 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the move. Norv will help develop Rivers, which was critical, and Norv was probably amenable to having a 3-4 defense in place. The defense was going to be fine, so getting a good offensive guy made some sense. Adding Rivera gives further depth to the coaching staff, since Cottrell has been away for a year (and wasn't all that effective in Minnesota).
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
WildDude
All-Pro

WildDude hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

eh dont like it too much... he'll fail hes just one of those guys tha no matter wha team is there hes a lock to fail... a 7-9 record is in the books u heard it here first, he gets WAYYY too many oppurtunties mg how can they not hire Ron Rivera or Mike Singletary
WildDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
How does this scrub keep getting jobs? Unbelievable.

San Diego is wasting the most talented team in the league on Norval f'n Turner.
Got to agree, just a panic decision by Spanos and Smith. They'll never see the playoffs next year. :roll:
Old 02-21-2007, 03:46 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Here is what I am thinking; how many coaches have won recently with Al Davis' Raiders? How many coaches have succeeded under Dan Snyder? Even Joe Gibbs has been struggling. So I am not sure you can really label Norv Turner a bad coach, based on struggles, in two horrible situations.
So hiring Wade Phillips instead of Caldwell, Singletary or Rivera was stupid, but hiring Norv Turner instead of these guys isn't?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
Quote:
So hiring Wade Phillips instead of Caldwell, Singletary or Rivera was stupid, but hiring Norv Turner instead of these guys isn't?
No, the Chargers should have hired one of those three. That said; I understand the rationale, for the Chargers. Norv Turner will retain the same offense, defense, as the last regime, allowing a 14-2 team to not have to learn a new system. The rationale, with Phillips, to me was a power move by Jerry Jones to re-assert himself into control. I think, unless Norv really does well, he's keeping the seat warm for Bill Cowher, next year.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
Quote:
No, the Chargers should have hired one of those three. That said; I understand the rationale, for the Chargers. Norv Turner will retain the same offense, defense, as the last regime, allowing a 14-2 team to not have to learn a new system. The rationale, with Phillips, to me was a power move by Jerry Jones to re-assert himself into control. I think, unless Norv really does well, he's keeping the seat warm for Bill Cowher, next year.
I stronlgy disagree.. Phillips was hired to make our defense better, we have the talent but we didn't have the right coaching last year.. Phillips bring a defense that can use this talent properly.. Our offense was dinamite all year long under Sparano, and now Garrett could help Romo.. So the problem was to fix our defense and to make players like Spears, Canty, Carpenter, Burnett all step up. We were very bad in december because of our defense.. And Phillips was the best guy avaible to make our 3-4 better..
On the other hand we can say the Chargers' move was made by AJ Smith to re-assert himself into control and bring in his team his old buddy Ted Cotrell? AJ has never shown appreciation for Marty Schotteneimer..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote