Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Jacksonville Jaguars Team Forum

Jacksonville Jaguars Team Forum Discuss the Jaguars

Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 PM    (permalink
DjBuddaH

I'm old but new to the site (hence my low post count and old sig...I still miss Stroud), but was wondering if some of you agree with the pick posted for our pick on the Mock on the main page of draftcountdown.com? I'm not saying it was a horribly wrong pick (everyone is entitled to their opinion), just wanted some insight on what others thought.

I'll open by posting what i think and others can join in...it's called a conversation.

First off if you haven't seen the pick here it is.

Quote:
8 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: JEREMY MACLIN, WR, MISSOURI

Scouting Report
All things being equal the Jaguars would probably prefer a left tackle here but with Eugene Monroe, Anre Smith and Jason Smith already gone they might have to turn their attention elsewhere rather than reach for Michael Oher. Despite investing a lot of resources in wideouts over the years Jacksonville could still use a playmaker in the passing game and Jeremy Maclin would be a very intriguing possibility. A dynamic playmaker who is a threat to score every time he touches the ball, Maclin would give the Jags offense a new vertical dimension and serve as a stark contrast to guys like Matt Jones, Reggie Williams and Jerry Porter. Maclin is an even better prospect than former #9 overall pick Ted Ginn, Jr. was coming out of college and there really isn't as much separating him and Michael Crabtree as some might think. As I mentioned Jacksonville also has issues along the offensive line and in addition to being ravaged by injuries in 2008 they have also lost confidence in Khalif Barnes and might be inclined to bring in a replacement. Also keep in mind that Jack Del Rio is a Southern Cal alum and fellow Trojan Rey Maualuga could be a nice replacement for Mike Peterson at middle linebacker once he is inevitably sent packing this offseason.
I understand the whole "if the top 3 OT's are off the board, there's no point in reaching, so take the BPA". That's perfectly fine. I personally don't think that Maclin would be the next BPA, but that's all opinion. The part that probably annoys me more than anything is the last 2 sentences.

The part about us losing confidence in Khalif is opinionated, which yet again...no problem. But Khalif isn't going to be resigned by the Jags, so with him leaving and his replacement (Richard Collier) becoming an amputee after an off-field incident, the Jags have NO LT. Absolutely no one. Reaching at this point would be welcome if they don't take a LT in the FA (free agency). So "might be inclined to bring in the replacement" turns into...."has to bring in a LT or won't have a functional OL".

The last sentence irk's me to the point of return. I may be biased because I don't think Jack Del Rio would draft a player just because of his alma mater, but to say he will replace Mike Peterson is the biggest oversight to anyone who knows about the Jags roster. Daryl Smith has been playing the MLB position over the past 3 seasons, when Mike Peterson has been injured. He's actually started more games in the past 3 seasons at MLB than Mike Peterson has. Then Mike Peterson celebrated a sack while we were losing to the Bengals this past season, and JDR had had enough. He benched Peterson, and made Daryl Smith the MLB for the rest of the season and eventually telling Mike Peterson he wasn't going to play here again. Luck have it that Daryl Smith hit the IR late in the season, so by default Mike Peterson was playing the MLB position. And everyone forgot about Daryl Smith.

So in case you happen to make a Mock Draft....please do not draft a MLB or OLB for that matter. Daryl Smith is only 26 as of right now. Our OLB's Clint Ingram (only 25 years old) and Justin Durant (only 23 years old) are very good for the defense we run. We have a very young LB squad and LB should not even be looked at in the first round.

The Jags GM, Gene Smith, and owner, Wayne Weaver, have both implied that we will be going BPA. Granted it is a mock, the Jag's will likely trade back which was also implied by Weaver. This years draft is deep all over and with the supposed "release" of a few UFA's, the Jags will likely use their high draft pick to trade back and stockpile draft picks while literally going BPA every single round. If that means a QB is at the top of their draft board when it is our time to pick, the Jags will likely fish around looking for trades rather than just accept the fact they don't need that guy and take the next. It is the true meaning of drafting BPA.

Sorry for ranting.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:41 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.

for future reference, we post almost exclusively in the team discussion thread, not sure why but that is why things are done.

I digress...

The only guy worth BPA if all the OT's are gone is Malcolm Jenkins and I doubt he would be available. As Vic always says, trade down and recoup the value.
garrard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:20 PM    (permalink
DjBuddaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrard9 View Post
for future reference, we post almost exclusively in the team discussion thread, not sure why but that is why things are done.

I digress...

The only guy worth BPA if all the OT's are gone is Malcolm Jenkins and I doubt he would be available. As Vic always says, trade down and recoup the value.

I believe the same about Malcolm Jenkins being the BPA if he's available, but even then I wouldn't hate it if the Jags backed up a few spots.

Sorry, I guess I'll start posting in the 1st thread then. Just figured if there were different topics that were going to be discussed, didn't want to clutter 1 thread. But I'll just start posting in the opening thread. Just out of curiosity is it a bandwidth thing or something that's just always been?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, this thread is fine. The old rule about one thread was silly.

I think it's looking like BAP and need will coalesce at LT. I'm totally fine with that. Also, I'm allergic to the concept of yet another WR, but if Reggie and Jerry go, why not?

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
DjBuddaH

I'd be fine if a LT fell to us and was at the top of our draft board as well. If he is a pick or two behind the top of our draft board then I'd still be ok to pull the trigger.

On the WR bit, I don't see Porter leaving just yet. He was injured the majority of last season and wasn't able to build a relationship well enough with Garrard. Reggie is gone which he actually will be missed for his blocking skills, but he never developed as a WR from the college level and that was his ultimate downfall. If that's the case our WR corp still wouldn't be too shabby (Jones, Porter, Northcutt, Walker, Williamson). I'd be fine with those as long as we get David some better pass-protection.

And with that being said, the trenches are the biggest need for the Jags. Grabbing a WR in the 1st would be the equivalent of becoming the Detroit Lions. They were drafting BPA without using any form of need at all. I'd say when it's the Jags selection we look at the next 3 players atop our board and see if we like anyone. If we like 2 of the 3 guys, then attempt to trade back a spot or two. If we don't like any of them and are targetting a guy projected around the 20th pick trade back and stockpile draft picks. This years draft is loaded with talent compared to what is projected for next years draft.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBuddaH View Post
I'd be fine if a LT fell to us and was at the top of our draft board as well. If he is a pick or two behind the top of our draft board then I'd still be ok to pull the trigger.

On the WR bit, I don't see Porter leaving just yet. He was injured the majority of last season and wasn't able to build a relationship well enough with Garrard. Reggie is gone which he actually will be missed for his blocking skills, but he never developed as a WR from the college level and that was his ultimate downfall. If that's the case our WR corp still wouldn't be too shabby (Jones, Porter, Northcutt, Walker, Williamson). I'd be fine with those as long as we get David some better pass-protection.

And with that being said, the trenches are the biggest need for the Jags. Grabbing a WR in the 1st would be the equivalent of becoming the Detroit Lions. They were drafting BPA without using any form of need at all. I'd say when it's the Jags selection we look at the next 3 players atop our board and see if we like anyone. If we like 2 of the 3 guys, then attempt to trade back a spot or two. If we don't like any of them and are targetting a guy projected around the 20th pick trade back and stockpile draft picks. This years draft is loaded with talent compared to what is projected for next years draft.

once again, which you agree with, Jenkins is the only guy worth taking 8 using a BPA formula. IMO. I'll trade back a spot or two because it's obvious we need a LT. Does anybody like Philip Loadholt, a guy who could be available in Round 2?
garrard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 PM    (permalink
DjBuddaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrard9 View Post
once again, which you agree with, Jenkins is the only guy worth taking 8 using a BPA formula. IMO. I'll trade back a spot or two because it's obvious we need a LT. Does anybody like Philip Loadholt, a guy who could be available in Round 2?
He's going to be a good RT in the NLF, but doesn't have the athletic ability to hold up against pass-rushers that are usually on the left side of the field (the QB's blind-side). He gets great push off the line in the running game, and I would love to take him in the second if we landed a LT in the first. Another player would be Alex Mack in the 2nd round, if he makes it to our pick. Meester likely won't be resigned and our OL is going to have a few holes.