Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-30-2009, 04:39 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I like Kill Em All more than the Black Album...and And Justice for All prolly 2nd ahead of Ride the Lightning.

Master of Puppets is #1 no question though....Like, half my top 10 of favorite songs by them come off of that album alone.
I'd have to go...

1. AJFA
2. Master of Puppets
3. Death Magnetic
4. Kill Em All
5. Ride the Lightning

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:41 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I'd have to go...

1. AJFA
2. Master of Puppets
3. Death Magnetic
4. Kill Em All
5. Ride the Lightning
Really?

And Master of Puppets not first? You can't really go wrong with any of their first 4 albums, and I do like AJFA...but Master is just classic, like....otherworldly epic.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Really?

And Master of Puppets not first? You can't really go wrong with any of their first 4 albums, and I do like AJFA...but Master is just classic, like....otherworldly epic.
I like MoP a lot, but AJFA is otherworldly epic classic to me. Blackened, One, AJFA are 3 of my favorite songs period. To Live is to Die is awesome prog metal. I love the beat on Harvester of Sorrow. There are 2 meh songs on AJFA but the awesomeness of the other ones make up for it.

The 1st 4 tracks on MoP are pretty awesome though.

Oh and I just realized you bolded Death Magnetic. I love that new album. The songs are long and fast and it's almost like the return of AJFA. I'd have it higher but Hammet's solos kind of suck and Hetfield's singing is annoying on 1/2 the album. The songs themselves are really enjoyable though.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by etk : 01-30-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Kill Em All
2. Master of Puppets
3. ...And Justice for All
4. Ride The Lightning

after that they just made radio friendly singles

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:41 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
1. Kill Em All
2. Master of Puppets
4. Ride The Lightning

I do agree. There are a few songs sprinkled throughout their later albums that I like, but they are annoyingly bad for the most part....not really Metallica anymore.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I do agree. There are a few songs sprinkled throughout their later albums that I like, but they are annoyingly bad for the most part....not really Metallica anymore.

yes, but the albums as a whole just don't stack up

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Butch Peefington

Death Magnetic was a lot better than their albums post black. At least they tried to sound like Metallica in it. I will say I only like 2-3 of the songs and some of them are pretty bad.

Part of it can't be helped though, after all the years of belting out notes and getting wasted Hetfield's voice just isnt the same.

1. Master of Puppets
2. And Justice For All
3. Ride the Lightning
4. Kill em All
5. Black album (which i actually think is a better overall album than Kill em all, but it isnt a better METAL album & this is a metal thread)

Oh and Orion gets the nod as my favorite all time Metallica track.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1. Kill Em All
2. Master of Puppets
4. Ride The Lightning

That's how i would probably stack up as well, probably just switching 3 with 4.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
1. Kill Em All
2. Master of Puppets
4. Ride The Lightning

Radio friendly singles is a bit of an overstatement. Did they go more commercial/soft? Yes, but I'd hardly call it radio friendly.

I don't see what's not to like about DM. It's metal and radio friendly. Hardcore Metallica fans probably despise everything past AJFA, which I understand, but you have to listen with an open mind. I agree with what Butch said, except I like 5-6 songs a lot, not 2-3.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Death Magnetic saw Metallica go from awful (St Anger) to just boring. That album was them being a caricature of what they were back in the 80s. It wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was that good. The really good 80s revival is Iron Maiden, both Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death were fantastic, up to their old standards.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:14 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Say what you want about St Anger, at least the band decided to try something a bit different.

2 weeks till I see Lamb of God, In Flames, Devil Driver, 36 Crazy Fists and Blood Hound Gang, all in one day. BOOM

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:36 AM    (permalink
the dude
Rookie

the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

puppets
lightning
justice
kill em all
black album

even though i think death magnetic was much, much better than st anger, it still was very meh. I listened to it once, thought it was alright, and haven't listened to it since

orion and master of puppets are my to fav songs, but i cant decide which one i like better. kind of like the grudge and lateralus.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:44 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Death Magnetic saw Metallica go from awful (St Anger) to just boring. That album was them being a caricature of what they were back in the 80s. It wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was that good. The really good 80s revival is Iron Maiden, both Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death were fantastic, up to their old standards.
Boring in the sense that it's cliche and resembles old Metallica too much? Or the songs are actually boring?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have really disliked Metallica for a very long time but when I saw them at Bonnaroo they were fantastic. I didn't even want to go see them at all until I could hear that they were playing older stuff. They were really top notch and seemed to be enjoying themselves. I don't like Death Magnetic very much but it is good to see them stop trying to be something that they are not. I wouldn't really go out of my way to see them again but they can still really bring it live even though James' voice is not what it once was.

EDIT: it was Creeping Death into For Whom the Bell Tolls and Ride the Lightning that got me to go see them at Roo.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Last edited by themaninblack : 02-02-2009 at 03:15 PM.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:14 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QrRvLLyBOPs

This from the upcoming Guitar Hero: Metallica game. Double bass FTW.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-02-2009, 11:25 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For anyone who cares, the initial Bonnaroo lineup was just announced:

* Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
* Phish (2 shows)
* Beastie Boys
* Nine Inch Nails
* David Byrne
* Wilco
* Al Green
* Snoop Dogg
* Elvis Costello Solo
* Erykah Badu
* Paul Oakenfold
* Ben Harper and Relentless7
* The Mars Volta
* TV on the Radio
* Yeah Yeah Yeahs
* Gov't Mule
* Andrew Bird
* Band of Horses
* Merle Haggard
* MGMT
* moe.
* The Decemberists
* Girl Talk
* Bon Iver
* Béla Fleck & Toumani Diabate
* Rodrigo y Gabriela
* Galactic
* The Del McCoury band
* of Montreal
* Allen Toussaint
* Coheed & Cambria
* Booker T & the DBTs
* David Grisman Quintet
* Lucinda Williams
* Animal Collective
* Gomez
* Neko Case
* Down
* Jenny Lewis
* Santogold
* Robert Earl Keen
* Citizen Cope
* Femi Kuti and the Positive Force
* The Ting Tings
* Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3
* Kaki King
* Grizzly Bear
* King Sunny Adé
* Okkervil River
* St. Vincent
* Zac Brown Band
* Raphael Saadiq
* Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
* Crystal Castles
* Tift Merritt
* Brett Dennen
* Mike Farris and the Roseland Rhythm Revue
* Toubab Krewe
* People Under The Stairs
* Alejandro Escovedo
* Vieux Farka Touré
* Elvis Perkins in Dearland
* Cherryholmes
* Yeasayer
* Todd Snider
* Chairlift
* Portugal. The Man.
* The SteelDrivers
* Midnite
* The Knux
* The Low Anthem
* Delta Spirit
* A.A. Bondy
* The Lovell Sisters
* Alberta Cross

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not that I have anything against Bonnaroo, but thats about as far from metal as you can get.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peefs View Post
Not that I have anything against Bonnaroo, but thats about as far from metal as you can get.
its a rock/metal thread. I also didn't feel like making a new thread.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's a pretty sweet list of bands. Here is the line up for this years Coachella, the so cal's equivalent of a Bonnaroo. Rumor is the Killers won't headline the 2nd night, which of course they shouldn't...might be Bruce, who is in the area during that same time...

Old 02-02-2009, 11:32 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy crap, the Cure is still together and Amy Winehouse hasnt OD'd yet!?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:32 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Coachella's is pretty sweet this year. I'm going to make the trip out there someday.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peefs View Post
Holy crap, the Cure is still together and Amy Winehouse hasnt OD'd yet!?
April is still a ways away, I doubt she makes it!

Quote:
Coachella's is pretty sweet this year. I'm going to make the trip out there someday.
This years lineup is extra sweet from years past. I've gone to single nights, this year might be diff and I might have to attend all 3 days..thanks to the new layaway plan!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post
This years lineup is extra sweet from years past. I've gone to single nights, this year might be diff and I might have to attend all 3 days..thanks to the new layaway plan!
I am really digging Bonnaroo's lineup this year compared to the last few years and I don't even consider myself a fan of Phish or Bruce.

The thing that makes the festival for me is staying there for four days camping out and stuff. The only thing I don't really like about Coachella is the fact that it ends at a certain time each night and there aren't real late night sets. Thats really the funnest part seeing bands around the clock. NIN and TMV will be sick if they are both late nights.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post
April is still a ways away, I doubt she makes it!

i notice you on your computer making posts and not being in irc. h8'er imo

And i was looking through those set lists for the two music festivals and I know a total of like 10 of the performers.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote