Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 02-18-2007, 07:15 PM    (permalink
bucknut12
Rookie

bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I would love to have Ross, but his age is a sorta turn-off for me.
He's only 24 isn't he?
bucknut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
ftbl88

How is it going Saints fans. I am checking on a situation that has come up in some of the forums. It is uncertain wether the Eagles lose the third or the fourth in the trade between Stallworth and Simoneau. Some sources say the conditional 4th pick becomes a 3rd if the Eagles re-sign Stallworth. Others say that it becomes a third if there is a contract extension. The reason I am asking is because I am not sure if Donte is waiting until FA to re-sign and only have the Eagles losing a 4th instead of a 3rd, or if it doesn't matter anyway. Any answers that may help clarify the situation would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Stallworth was given an extension while with the Eagles, we would have got the 3rd pick from you but being that Stallworth is probably going to become a FA it becomes a 4th rounder, meaning Stallworth can even re-sign with the Eagles as a FA we would still only get a 4th because it wasn't an extension.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:47 PM    (permalink
bucknut12
Rookie

bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.

Quote:
If Stallworth was given an extension while with the Eagles, we would have got the 3rd pick from you but being that Stallworth is probably going to become a FA it becomes a 4th rounder, meaning Stallworth can even re-sign with the Eagles as a FA we would still only get a 4th because it wasn't an extension.
Loomis can't be that stupid.

I'm sure if he waited until after the FA period we should get their next years 3rd or something like that...
bucknut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:39 AM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy
I'm sure if he waited until after the FA period we should get their next years 3rd or something like that...
I heard the same thing as Flyboy.

If Stallworth doesn't re-sign with the Eagles by March 2nd (start of Free Agency Period) we only get the 4th rounder...

the indication is that the Eagles are going to let him hit the free agent market.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:42 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly. And all thoughts are of him becoming a FA.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:43 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you guys think that we should get Puz over a CB like Aaron Ross or Daymeion Hughes?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-19-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Do you guys think that we should get Puz over a CB like Aaron Ross or Daymeion Hughes?
Personally I would go with Poz, there's a reason he won a Butkus award, and was generally a great college LB. Great instincts, from what I've heard he could play the Middle.

There are some solid Corners the Saints can look at in later rounds, Jackson, Wright, Bennett, Wade..

also found this image on another forum, got a crack out of it.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
ftbl88

Thanks for the info guys, you have cleared up something that has been bothering me for a while.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Looks like Charles Grant will get the franchise tag.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771560

Quote:
Barring an unexpected breakthrough in contract negotiations, ESPN.com has learned that the New Orleans Saints will designate left defensive end Charles Grant as a franchise player before Thursday's deadline, a move that will keep him off the unrestricted free agent market.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Looks like the Saints are set to tag Charles Grant.

I was hoping that both sides would be able to come to some sort of an agreement so that we would not have to use the franchise tag on him.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-19-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw that one coming a mile away.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:58 PM    (permalink
DWhitner20
Veteran

DWhitner20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What do you guys think of Montrae Holland? I heard he's a FA and the Bills definetly need some OGs. Did he start this year or was it Mayberrys spot Jahri Evans took?
DWhitner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Dang coach Payton is the party guy.. :shock:

Old 02-19-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhitner20
What do you guys think of Montrae Holland? I heard he's a FA and the Bills definetly need some OGs. Did he start this year or was it Mayberrys spot Jahri Evans took?
Holland is a decent starter. Nothing too special. He's a great backup, though.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Looks like the Saints are set to tag Charles Grant.

I was hoping that both sides would be able to come to some sort of an agreement so that we would not have to use the franchise tag on him.
Go figure... well, it seems like another "Darren Howard" situation. :roll:

On to free agency. :|

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 AM    (permalink
LSU Man
Rookie

LSU Man hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As much as i like Grant i say we should franchise him then trade him and get what we can from him now. I think we would get at least a high second round pick.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Man
As much as i like Grant i say we should franchise him then trade him and get what we can from him now. I think we would get at least a high second round pick.
The problem with that is... if a player is franchised, a team must give up two 1st round picks as compensation. No team will be willing to give up that much.

edit: Hollis Thomas was on Sirius radio, said he was disappointed in the Saints offer.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hollis Thomas, was on sirius-radio a hour ago or so...

was discussing about the saints and FA...he said the saints gave him a offer and that it was a 'low ball one' and that he is worth more than that...

from the sounds of it, he sounded pretty disgusted with it and kept on rambling about Devner as a potential suitor.

so all in all, looks like we might need another DT for next season... :roll:
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Oh well, obviously Hollis was a contributor to the Defense.

but he is 33 years old, wears down in the second half of games, and had the asthma fiasco behind him..

I think the Saints offered him a decent contract, but if some team signs Hollis to a huge deal they will probably be disappointed.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Man
The problem with that is... if a player is franchised, a team must give up two 1st round picks as compensation. No team will be willing to give up that much.

edit: Hollis Thomas was on Sirius radio, said he was disappointed in the Saints offer.
That's not cool. We don't need to low-ball a huge contributor to our defense.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-20-2007, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints67
Hollis Thomas, was on sirius-radio a hour ago or so...

was discussing about the saints and FA...he said the saints gave him a offer and that it was a 'low ball one' and that he is worth more than that...

from the sounds of it, he sounded pretty disgusted with it and kept on rambling about Devner as a potential suitor.

so all in all, looks like we might need another DT for next season... :roll:
Of course, his definition of low-ball might not be low at all... but I figured that either we'd have to look to the free agency period for a defensive tackle or we'd draft one. Neither Thomas nor Brian Young is really all that impressive. Don't get me wrong, Thomas contributed nicely but he isn't the best out there. There are other people who could also come in and help out our defense as well as he did.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Quote:
That's not cool. We don't need to low-ball a huge contributor to our defense.
If we do lose him it will hurt, but on the same token you don't want to overpay for an aging veteran who may be on the decline. I think Hollis and his agent know this is probably going to be his last contract in the NFL, so they want to cash in on a bigger pay day.. not that I blame him a lot of players do.

but we have to remember how we got players like Hollis and Jeff Faine in the first place, through draft day trades. I have complete faith in Payton and Loomis in finding the right replacements, and improving the team. I also have a feeling they have a few things up their sleeves for free agency and the draft.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Saints slap DE Grant with franchise tag
Five-year veteran says he feels disrespected
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
By Mike Triplett
Staff writer
Defensive end Charles Grant expressed his frustration Tuesday after the Saints designated him as their franchise player.

The move requires the Saints to offer Grant a one-year contract worth $8.644 million the average of the top five players at his position. But it prevents the 28-year-old from becoming an unrestricted free agent March 2.

Grant can negotiate with other teams, but it is unlikely another team will offer a long-term deal.

The Saints have the right to match any offer Grant receives. Or, if they decide to let him go, the new team would have to compensate the Saints with two first-round draft picks.

"I still hope we can work something out," said Grant, who was hoping to either sign a long-term contract extension with the Saints or be allowed to test the free-agent waters.

He characterized the Saints' contract discussions so far as "treating me like I'm a scrub" and "trying to spit in our face."

"It's not so much being disappointed (with staying in New Orleans)," said Grant, a first-round draft pick in 2002. "I've been here five years. I love Louisiana. I love the people here. You can't get better people than here in New Orleans.

"But other teams are interested in me. If you don't think I can play the game of football, you should treat me like a man and let me go."

Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis declined to comment on the Saints' decision.

Grant's agent, William Johnson, echoed Grant's sentiments.

"Guys get disappointed about having the franchise tag," Johnson said. "I recognize it's a big number. But he's been a great representative of the Saints through thick and thin. And at the end of the day, I feel like he's earned the opportunity to get a fair market value extension from the Saints or to test free agency."

Grant had a bounce-back season in 2006 after struggling in 2005. He had 71 tackles, six sacks, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

Grant shed nearly 20 pounds in the offseason and played around 285 pounds for the first time since his rookie season. He has 36 career sacks with the Saints.

Grant said he has felt underappreciated by the Saints organization. He said Loomis told his agent a few months back that he didn't intend to use the franchise tag on him because he wasn't worth the hefty cost.

"I don't hold no grudge against the organization. But when a man tells my agent I'm not worth it, don't contradict yourself," Grant said. "The money's good. But I feel like I'm being used right now.

"You know no other guys are going to come in here and hold that left side down. I'm playing 90 percent of the snaps, year in and year out. I had my slump, but everyone has their slumps."

Whether or not they used the franchise tag, it makes sense for the Saints to hold onto Grant.

For starters, they need defensive playmakers, and they likely will try to add more in the draft and free agency. The Saints were a solid defensive team in 2006. But they ranked 31st in the NFL with 19 takeaways during the regular season, and they forced zero turnovers in two playoff games.

If the Saints were to let Grant go, they would have a hard time replacing him in free agency. The NFL's free-agent market will be extremely competitive. The salary cap climbed roughly $7 million this year to $109 million per team.

Two other top defensive ends that were scheduled to become free agents this year -- Indianapolis' Dwight Freeney and Cincinnati's Justin Smith -- also were retained with the franchise tag. New England used its franchise tag on cornerback Asante Samuel, and Chicago franchised linebacker Lance Briggs.

The Saints previously used their franchise tag on fellow defensive end Darren Howard in 2004 and 2005, never reaching a long-term extension. That relationship ended on bad terms, with Howard threatening to quit football last December if the Saints didn't let him leave in free agency.

Before Howard, the Saints used their franchise tag on defensive end Joe Johnson in 1999.

The Saints will have some other tough decisions to make in the next few weeks. They owe roughly $1 million each in bonuses to veteran receiver Joe Horn and cornerback Fred Thomas and might consider releasing both players or asking them to take pay cuts.

They also have three other starters scheduled to become unrestricted free agents March 2 -- offensive tackle Jon Stinchcomb, defensive tackle Hollis Thomas and safety Omar Stoutmire.

Most of the Saints' front office and coaching staff will be in Indianapolis this week for the National Scouting Combine, which runs from Thursday through Sunday.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

I was listening to WWL 870, Grant was on with Bobby and Kenny W. Said that he has children to take care of, and that he was offered a contract with an 8 mil signing bonus, and felt it was a backup type deal.

Wow.. I really don't like how he's handling the situation in the media. I can't see this situation turning out good. :?