Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default *** post superbowl Mcok..

Because Thav made me..

I'm really digging this one.

Some names I haven't used in a while or .. at all.

Keep: Starks, Colon, Kemo, Fox, McHugh, Kemo, Washington
Leaves: McFadden
Restructure/extend: Ward, Harrison, Miller

Fire: Larry Zierlein, OL Coach.

Hire: Stacy Searles, OL Coach (LSU 03-06, Georgia 07-current)

*TRADE*

The Bears are looking for a Big talented WR to play opposite of Devin Hester. They feel that Kyle Orton can win them games.

*1* Trade - Bears Select at #32, Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers. He's big, Quick, solid hands and talented. He's this years Limas Sweed. In the trade they send their 2nd (400) and 3rd (180) for our 1st (590).

2A) Phil Loadholt, RT, Oklahoma - 6'8 330lbs

I'm not a fan of Mack and I feel that Unger is a solid player but with little to no upside as he's a cheap Swiss-army knife.

Loadholt fixes RG and RT. Searles is training them to use a more mauler style straight ahead OL. Colon moves to RG, Loadholt takes RT. He's about as athletic as Colon, but, his arms, superior strength allow him to take edge rushers better while the duo of Colon/Loadholt will blow open holes. Colon can handle the quicker DT's and has the strength and attitude to keep the guys ahead of him out of the backfield.

2B) Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT, San Jose State - 6'5 287lbs

Gilbert flashed his extreme athleticism and strength all season long. He has closing speed and has a long lanky frame that can fill out while maintaning his speed. He could provide a rotational passrusher as a rookie.

3A) Eric Wood, C/G, Louisville - 6'4 304lbs

Eric Wood is a guy that honestly doesn't piss around. He's quick, smart and physical. He's a guy that can play inside anywhere. He can play Guard as a rookie and Challenge Kemo for that LG spot.

3B) Victor "Macho" Harris, CB, Virginia Tech - 5'11 187lbs

Harris's biggest question is his straightline speed. Which I'm sure won't be spectacular (4.49-4.58). Harris though has all the other tools that you'd dream of in a Corner. He has a firm understanding of zone. Would instantly be the best Ball skills and physical CB we have.

3C) Fenuki Tupou, OT/OG, Oregon - 6'6 328lbs

Tupou played LT in college in a spread offense. He may not be able to play there in the pro's but he certainly has the size, strength and speed to play LG, RG and RT in our offense. I still think he could be an emergency LT.

4) Lawrence Sidbury Jr., DE/OLB, Richmond - 6'3 267lbs

Sidbury has an insane burst, is built similarly to Dwight Freeney and plays like Derrick Burgess. He gives us solid depth at LB, a Special team freak and could step up for injury or spell Woodley.

5) Frantz Joseph, ILB, Florida Atlantic - 6'2 243lbs

Larry Foote will be gone in my mind.. whether Cap casualty or trade with Detroit (preferably for a 2010 2nd or 3rd). Frantz is a very similar player. I think his speed is a bit better and actually I feel he could be a 3-down LB in our scheme. He's a thumper and reliable tackler. He's also solid dropping in coverage. He provides backup and ST's ace behind Farrior/Timmons... and is the heir to Farriors throne.

6) Sammie Stroughter, WR/RS, Oregon State - 5'9 189lbs

Stroughter is immensely talented. He doesn't have great timed speed to make up for his lack of size, but his production and consistency puts him as one of my favorite targets in this class. He's an excellent Punt Returner which we're lacking and he can play the slot in the future. Victor Harris will take over Kick Returns.... Stroughter Punt returns and I think even with the lack of speed he can be a top notch returner.

7T) Khalif Mitchell, DE, East Carolina - 6'5 305lbs

This is a pure potential pick. Very few guys have this combination of size, speed and strength. He can challenge Kyle Clement for a backup spot as we usually carry 5 DE's (Keisel, Smith, Gilbert, Eason, ?). Loser heads to the PS.

7) David Johnson,FB/TE, Arkansas State - 6'2 270lbs

Johnson is a well built, physical blocking TE from Arkansas State. He's got the athleticism to be a threat receiving out of the backfield, but he's also a non-stop blocker and with some time could be a monster lead blocker.

UDFA:

Todd Boeckman, QB, Ohio State - 6'4 244lbs

Marlon Lucky, RB, Nebraska - 5'11 212lbs

Jordan Norwood, WR, Penn State - 5'9 178lbs

Jose Valdez, OT, Arkansas - 6'5 318lbs
Roger Allen, OG, Missouri Western - 6'3 322lbs
CJ Davis, OG/C, Pittsburgh - 6'2 307lbs

Terrance Knighton, NT, Temple - 6'3 324lbs
Myron Pryor, NT, Kentucky - 6'1 310lbs
Zach Potter, DE(DT), Nebraska - 6'7 288lbs
Ty Steinkuhler, DE(DT), Nebraska - 6'3 285lbs

Robert Francois, ILB, Boston College - 6'3 243lbs
Pierre Walters, DE/OLB, Eastern Illinois - 6'4 269lbs
Julius Williams, DE/OLB, Connecticut - 6'2 264lbs

Ryan Mouton, CB/RS, Hawaii - 5'9 180lbs
Woodny Turenne, CB, Louisville - 6'1 195lbs

Justin Brantly, P, Texas A&M - 6'3 223lbs
Ryan Succop, K, South Carolina - 6'2 224lbs

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

THav916 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ha, 'made' sounds so demanding. How bout strongly encouraged?

I like this draft more than your previous one. I'm not always a fan of trading down in a mock to get extra picks as I feel it's then easier to get what you want, but in theory I love trading down in real life.

Before I get to draft...why no BMac? Because he'll want too much or because they won't want to? Why resign Kemoeatu? You hoping to resign Colon to multi-year deal or tender for one year? I'm assuming (and hoping) you also have Marvel leaving? What about Essex...if he's real cheap he might be decent to bring back, but certainly wouldn't hurt if he left. I wonder about Foote as well. The way I see it, if we can cut him to save money to resign someone else, then do it. If we're not gonna do anything with that money then might as well bring him back. (It's similar to how I viewed tendering Max for 7 million...if we had the money, and weren't gonna give it to anyone else, then it didn't matter.)

To the draft...I love Mack and also like Unger but I'll agree to disagree and move past that and just evaluate what you have. I like Loadholt at RT and pushing Colon inside. I'm even fine if Loadholt woulda been the pick at the end of the 1st round w/o a trade down.

LOVE Jarron Gilbert. I probably love 3-4 DE's way more than I should and always like to try to find them. Just like last year when I saw Kendall Langford's size and frame when he was real low ranked and started to love and then he climbed and climbed, I love what I see from Gilbert. I've stated wanting a DE early and would love if it's Gilbert.

If we pass/don't get a Mack or Unger earlier, then I really hope we come away with a Wood/Luigs/Caldwell later. Wood is actually Mayock's top rated Center and I usually like what Mayock brings to the table.

You love Macho. I'm fine with him, and especially in your scenario of no BMac, it's a need pick and a solid one.

Tupou looks solid. If you hadn't made a trade down, he'd be the pick we wouldn't have. And to take it one step further, if no trade down in this scenario I'd like a Mack/Gilbert/Macho/Tupou combo OR Loadholt/Gilbert/Macho/Wood combo.

Sidbury's one of those guys that makes me wonder. I read about him on here and wonder why he's not a top 10 pick. So he obviously has some downsides. Or will rise and not be available here. I hope Bruce Davis is good, but I'm not not drafting someone because we have Bruce Davis and in my opinion you can never have too many good pass rushers. My buddy played at Richmond and graduated 2-3 years ago. I'll have to ask him about Sidbury if I get the chance.

It's funny, after my post the other day on your other mock, I thought to myself, 'The three other positions I'd add to my wish list are a thumping ILB as eventual replacement to Farrior, a true FB, and a TE that can block better than Spaeth. Frantz Joseph looks to play the part of ILB. And David Johnson might satisfy the FB and TE position in one. I know you resigned McHugh, but that's certainly not a must. I like Spaeth, but man does it seem like he gets pushed around on the line. Arians appears here to stay and loves 2/3 TE sets...it'd be nice to improve on that and from your words Johnson does that.

A kick returner would be a nice addition. And Mitchell's size and frame look like a great DE in our system. I'd be fine taking a chance on him for sure.

This mock is muuuuuch more on the same wavelength I'm thinking. Great stuff.
THav916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:01 AM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

these pretzels are making me thirsty,

also, I like this draft
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation77 View Post
these pretzels are making me thirsty
LOLOLOL!!!!!

Oh man, + rep dude, you really made me laugh.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:03 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

I was going to post this mock draft, but then realized it's more of just tinkering with Mr Stiller's from this thread. Like I said, I really like this mock draft so I'm keeping about half of it the same but putting a few personal touches on it.

Resign-Max, Bmac, Nate, Colon
Let Go-Kemoeatu, Marvel

1. Alex Mack-People really divided on Mack but I'm a big fan. He showed during Senior Bowl he can play guard in addition to center. I think he can compete in his rookie season as a starting guard and start at center whenever Hartwig is done. I don't think we have 1 above average guard on our team. Add to that the Steelers tradition at Center and Mack's my top target.
2. Jarron Gilbert-Love his frame and potential for the 3-4. I'm really worried that if he's already being projected at the end of the 2nd round, he'll continue to rise by draft day. But for now, he's here.
3A. Macho Harris-I haven't really looked at what specific CB's will go in this ballpark and fit with us so I'll keep Macho here...although seems like it could be wishful thinking for him to be available at the end of the 3rd round.
3B. Fenuki Tupou-I think we need a RT here to compete with Tony Hills and allow Colon to play guard or walk and Tupou has a nice skill set
4. Brandon Tate-He was on his way to a big season when injured. I think he could be a great 5th WR off the bat that can fill in, develop into more, run reverses, and most importantly return kicks from day 1.
5. Frantz Joseph-Loved what Mr Stiller had to say about him and an ILB of the future would fit here nicely
6. Sammie Lee Hill-Whether Hill made the team or started on the practice squad, I like what I read about him and think he could be a nice NT in our scheme.
7A. David Johnson-The Steelers could really benefit from a fullback that blocks better than Davis and a tight end that blocks better than Spaeth. From Mr Stiller's comments, perhaps Johnson can do both
7B. Jeremy Navarre-Watching Navarre this year immediately made me think he could be a nice DE for us. He's ranked low, but I really don't care, I just like everything about him. Active, strong against run, made a ton of tackles, state champion wrestler, etc. I also like Zach Potter here.

Last edited by THav916 : 02-06-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THav916 View Post
I was going to post this mock draft, but then realized it's more of just tinkering with Mr Stiller's from this thread. Like I said, I really like this mock draft so I'm keeping about half of it the same but putting a few personal touches on it.

Resign-Max, Bmac, Nate, Colon
Let Go-Kemoeatu, Marvel

1. Alex Mack-People really divided on Mack but I'm a big fan. He showed during Senior Bowl he can play guard in addition to center. I think he can compete in his rookie season as a starting guard and start at center whenever Hartwig is done. I don't think we have 1 above average guard on our team. Add to that the Steelers tradition at Center and Mack's my top target.
2. Jarron Gilbert-Love his frame and potential for the 3-4. I'm really worried that if he's already being projected at the end of the 2nd round, he'll continue to rise by draft day. But for now, he's here.
3A. Macho Harris-I haven't really looked at what specific CB's will go in this ballpark and fit with us so I'll keep Macho here...although seems like it could be wishful thinking for him to be available at the end of the 3rd round.
3B. Fenuki Tupou-I think we need a RT here to compete with Tony Hills and allow Colon to play guard or walk and Tupou has a nice skill set
4. Brandon Tate-He was on his way to a big season when injured. I think he could be a great 5th WR off the bat that can fill in, develop into more, run reverses, and most importantly return kicks from day 1.
5. Frantz Joseph-Loved what Mr Stiller had to say about him and an ILB of the future would fit here nicely
6. Sammie Lee Hill-Whether Hill made the team or started on the practice squad, I like what I read about him and think he could be a nice NT in our scheme.
7A. David Johnson-The Steelers could really benefit from a fullback that blocks better than Davis and a tight end that blocks better than Spaeth. From Mr Stiller's comments, perhaps Johnson can do both
7B. Jeremy Navarre-Watching Navarre this year immediately made me think he could be a nice DE for us. He's ranked low, but I really don't care, I just like everything about him. Active, strong against run, made a ton of tackles, state champion wrestler, etc. I also like Zach Potter here.
I was talking to a guy on another site who I consider one of the better draftniks.

He's telling me about Tony Fiammetta of Syracuse.

He's graded him as the best Run blocking FB, Best Passblocking, best Hybrid TE... 3rd or 4th best Receivers from the FB position.. He just doesn't run the ball. There's potential to but, they just don't know.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
I was talking to a guy on another site who I consider one of the better draftniks.

He's graded him as the best Run blocking FB, Best Passblocking, best Hybrid TE... 3rd or 4th best Receivers from the FB position.. He just doesn't run the ball. There's potential to but, they just don't know.
Hmm, interesting. Seems higher ranked, but as important as this position would be in our offense, I have absolutely no problem with taking a FB/TE earlier. I trust your source, although checking in at slightly under 6'0 and 246 for the Senior Bowl, I wonder if you could line him up on the line as a TE to block. Then again, a guy like this might keep Spaeth at TE2 (and lets hope he continues to work out and get stronger) and just simply replace Carey Davis and Sean McHugh as a FB1/TE3 type of guy?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Strongside
Veteran

Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

He's also great at special teams, I really like him as a prospect. I definitely want to get a FB in this draft and it seems like we have a few good ones to pick from. What round do you think Fiammetta will go? Like late 5-early 6th?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:31 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. Seems higher ranked, but as important as this position would be in our offense, I have absolutely no problem with taking a FB/TE earlier. I trust your source, although checking in at slightly under 6'0 and 246 for the Senior Bowl, I wonder if you could line him up on the line as a TE to block. Then again, a guy like this might keep Spaeth at TE2 (and lets hope he continues to work out and get stronger) and just simply replace Carey Davis and Sean McHugh as a FB1/TE3 type of guy?
Honestly.. I'd rather keep Davis around because he's a demon tackler on ST's.

McHugh I can live without, doesn't add anything really. Doesn't even play FB/TE well.

I'm thinking we gotta use our 5 on him.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:21 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

McHugh I can live without, doesn't add anything really. Doesn't even play FB/TE well.

yeah!...and who would return kicks if we lost Davis! hah! still cracks me up seein Russell and Davis returning!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:53 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:

I also like Davis on special teams and think he brings more to the table than McHugh. Although, if we took a guy like Fiammeta we'd be looking at a crowded backfield headed into training camp...

Parker
Mendenhall
Russell
Moore
Davis
Fiammetta
Logan

I realize they all might not make the team, one could take the place of the 3rd TE, some others could fall under special teams slots, but just saying, that's a lot of RB's.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I also like Davis on special teams and think he brings more to the table than McHugh. Although, if we took a guy like Fiammeta we'd be looking at a crowded backfield headed into training camp...

Parker
Mendenhall
Russell
Moore
Davis
Fiammetta
Logan

I realize they all might not make the team, one could take the place of the 3rd TE, some others could fall under special teams slots, but just saying, that's a lot of RB's.

....and doesn't Fiammetta have a history of injuries? Plus, at barely 6ft, could he line up as a TE?

Last edited by SCSteeler : 02-07-2009 at 09:34 PM.
SCSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
....and doesn't Fiammetta have a history of injuries? Plus, at barely 6ft, could he line up as a TE?
I was thinking the same thing about him lining up at TE.

Ideally, I'd love one player to replace Davis and McHugh to play a better FB, catch the ball, and be a formidable blocker as a TE2 or TE3 on the line in all of our multiple TE sets. If we're only replacing one of Davis and McHugh I'd much rather have it be McHugh since I at least think Davis excels on Special Teams. Fiammetta seems like he's more of a Davis than he is McHugh. I guess the positives of Fiammetta is that he could be a better FB and maybe not line up directly on the line, but do some other things for us like going in motion and out of the backfield. I suppose he could replace Davis at starting FB while taking McHugh's roster spot and allowing Davis to continue on special teams. We'd still be left with Spaeth as our TE2 in those big formations and he is a subpar blocker at best but he could still be a nice asset to have.

I was intrigued with David Johnson because at 6'2 250-270, he seems to fit the ideal mold I'm looking for more than Fiammetta. But it's obviously tough to expect a guy ranked that low to come in and all of a sudden do all of those things.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Don't forget Dezmond Sherrod. The 6'2 255lb TE/FB Tweener we had in camp last year.

he was impressive enough to stick around and not be cut.. That usually means something.