Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Yep. I still have hopes for Manny to become more dominant, but there is no way in hell that I'd pass on Brown/Orakpo just because we have Manny. That would be a big mistake. I'd only pass on Brown/Orakpo for one of the premier OTs and lately I've been leaning toward the OLB/passrusher anyway.
I have a couple Niners games on my computer from this past season and watching Tony Romo torch us without even a hair on his head being touched is sickening. Nothing would have made my day than seeing him get sacked a couple times because it would have rattled his cage quite a bit.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Reading comp is key you should learn. Really nice article.
wow..........
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I have a couple Niners games on my computer from this past season and watching Tony Romo torch us without even a hair on his head being touched is sickening. Nothing would have made my day than seeing him get sacked a couple times because it would have rattled his cage quite a bit.
he wasn't the only qb that was killing it, it seemed every team that was 3rd and long always seemed to execute their plays when needed.
not to ruin anyones parade but don't fsu not do well in the nfl? i was reading some article on si.com that was blasting de's from there.
i like jenkins @ 10. solves finding another corner next season or replacement for harris.
if carolina proposed j.peppers...anyone take him @ 10?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CRAP!!!

According to PFT, OLB Roderick Green has been arrested on several counts. Well, it looks like he wont be coming back. :(

Damn moron!!!
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
CRAP!!!

According to PFT, OLB Roderick Green has been arrested on several counts. Well, it looks like he wont be coming back. :(

Damn moron!!!
He's been cut twice in two years and last year only got 3.5 sacks, I dont think they really planned on bringing him back.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think we will survive without him. he had many pressures last year, but wasnt a disruptive force.
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
GMoney
Rookie

GMoney hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really hope we go and grab Terrell Suggs in FA so we can cross off the need to spend a top 10 pick on an OLB.

If we can grab Suggs, and Loadholt in the 2nd - our needs become a FS (no one worth taking at pick 10) and QB.

Sanchez then makes the most sense.

Ive read about 50 pages on various forums about Sanzchez and almost no niner fans want Sanchez.

I can not understand the logic behind this.

The arguments against Sanchez appear to be:
1. Alex Smith is our QB of the Future.
2. Alex Smith is a bust and the niners should never invest another top pick in a QB in case they make a mistake again
3. Shaun Hill deserves to start in 09
4. We have too many needs and other players will make an impact and help the niners win NOW.

The rebuttals to the above are:

1. Maybe, probably not based on what we have seen in the 3 seasons so far. You can't not take a QB simply because Alex Smith is on the roster.

2. SD is the best example of this. Fact is QB is the most important position in the game. You need to keep going to the well until you find the right one. In addition the niners wont be paying 2 QBs on the roster top 10 money. Alex will need to take a serious pay cut to stay on the team.

3. Agreed. Sanchez should sit as long as possible behind Hill. I hope Sanchez doesnt even need to take a snap all year, but the fact remains in 2010 or 2011 we will be looking for a new starting QB and wouldn't it be nice to have the guy who could have gone #1 in 2010 on your bench, with a year in the NFL and in the offensive system under his belt. Rather than taking a rookie QB in 2010 or 2011 and NEEDING that player to start right away.

In my opinion if you want a young QB to succeed in the NFL, he has a much better chance to do so if he has had a year on the bench before being called into action. You need to think about taking a QB a year or 2 before you actually NEED them to have the best liklihood of success.

4. See 3 above. If we can get an OLB in FA and a OT in round 2. We can make due with Franklin (who came on towards the end of the year) at NT and FS (Reggie Smith / Goldson / Roman / inexpensive FA).

We can't fill all the holes this year.

For the reasons above, I do not believe the 49ers can pass up the opporunity to take a franchise QB at pick 10 if Sanchez is still sitting there. It would be irresponsible to do so.
GMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:38 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMoney View Post

We can't fill all the holes this year.

For the reasons above, I do not believe the 49ers can pass up the opporunity to take a franchise QB at pick 10 if Sanchez is still sitting there. It would be irresponsible to do so.
You are right. It's unlikely that we are able to fill every single hole.

So with that in mind, why in the world would you want to spend a pick on a player that will not contribute this year, or next year? What's the difference between Sanchez, whom you'd like to groom for two or three years, and developmental guy that you can get in the later rounds? You're going to sit them both for the same amount of time, but you're going to pay one of them significantly less money.

Not to mention that there will be an Everette Brown, or B.J Raji staring you in the face at #10, guys that could come in and start right away at positions of need. And I am a HUGE fan of getting Loadholt in the second. But as someone already pointed out, banking on someone lasting till your second pick is a calculated risk. In your scenario it's very possible that we draft Sanchez and MISS Loadholt in the second. Now we have passed on an elite defensive talent, and missed our RT option in the second round. I'm perfectly fine with taking the risk on missing Loadholt in the second, but if i'm doing that i'm going to make damn sure that I get a contributor in the first round. And that is NOT Sanchez.

Not to mention, that all Shaun Hill has done is win. Why slap him in the face with a first round QB? It's much more practical to grab someone late, and put playmakers on our roster that are going to start day one.

*** Side note, this is Orakpo's highlight vid off of youtube. And after watching it, i'm convinced Everette Brown is THE guy we want if we go the passrusher route. I hope Orakpo goes early. If you watch this, he is a one move guy. Brown is definitely more polished in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZTelDHwUwY
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
He was using it on LTs and guards! He's nasty. He took over that Maryland game.
Yeah, he looks great and everything, but lets be honest. Most of those highlights were against teams from the ACC (or worse), which is not a very strong conference. I didnt watch all of the highlight reel, but has he faced any top/good/decent LT's?
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 PM    (permalink
GMoney
Rookie

Shaun Hill is a big boy and has been around the league as a 3rd stringer. I don't think you are going to hurt his ego too easily.

The reason you take Sanchez now is because he can be a FRANCHISE QB. Is a guy we take in the 4th or 5th (Harrell and the like) really ever going to be any better than Shaun Hill - NO, they won't so why bother.

Thats like saying we can fix our FS problems with a 7th rounder.

'Developmental Guys' are 'developmental' for a reason. You hope you can one day 'develop' them into some kind of contributor. You don't ever expect to base your franchise around these guys.

If you aren't taking a QB that can be an upgrade on Hill and Smith. Don't even waste your time taking one.

Question to those against choosing Sanchez: What is your QB solution for 2010 or 2011?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Question to those against choosing Sanchez: What is your QB solution for 2010 or 2011?
I'm all for drafting Stafford or Sanchez, if either is available. That aside, I believe that most of the other fans on here will tell you that A. They believe Shaun Hill will have success and still be our starting QB then, B. Alex Smith will turn his career around and be the QB we hoped he would be when we drafted him, C. If Hill and Smith fail next year, lets go ahead and draft our QB of the future then.

I have no hopes of B. happening. I have a little bit of hope of A. happening. And I will be pissed if C. happens because that would still be "wasting" a 1st round pick (as some call it) that we will have to sit whichever QB would be available and then our core of young talent is all 3 to 4 years older by that time. Not many QBs come in and start from day 1 and have great NFL careers. For those that would rather draft a guy in rounds 4, 5, or 6 and have him sit the bench, the success rates of those guys isnt very good either.

I doubt Stafford is available at 10. If Sanchez is, I grab him. Sit him a year behind Hill. Start him in 2010. Solidify the QB position. Then I'd worry about finding a RT, FS, or NT. Which I'm pretty sure there is a greater chance of finding a successful NFL player at those positions after round 1, then there is of finding a successful QB after round 1.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 PM    (permalink
GMoney
Rookie

Agreed. Agreed. and Agreed.

As a 49er fan the LAST thing I want to happen is C.

P.S. you are going to have every anti-QB advodcate on this board bringing out the 'look at Brady, Montana and Cassell' comments for your success rate of late round QB argument. Predictable.

Last edited by GMoney : 02-12-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The more i think about it, Sanchez is there at 10 we take him. We can fill the other positions later in the draft. an OT like Loadholt in the 2nd, a FS 3rd or whatever. As far as the brady, montana and cassel thing that is completely different. Brady was drafted by a team with a franchise qb, Bledsoe and started after being in the system and Bledsoe going down with an injury, and guess what else, Cassel did the same thing.
Montana was different. Walsh made a calculated risk. Walsh wanted him all along, and he fit the kind of offense that Walsh was creating. He was not stereotypical which is why he lasted on the board as long as he did. If montana had come out after the advent of the WCO montana would not last to the third. Joe is the prototypical WCO QB and now a days would be drafted accordingly
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:46 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

Quote:

P.S. you are going to have every anti-QB advodcate on this board bringing out the 'look at Brady, Montana and Cassell' comments for your success rate of late round QB argument. Predictable.
Nah, there are a lot of good, intelligent 49ers fans on this site. Some of us just disagree on which direction we should go when it comes to how our QB situation should play out.

I cant say that they are wrong in wanting to give Shaun Hill his fair shot of being our QB, but I just dont see him being able to be successful over a 16 game schedule. Thats all just based on a "feeling" I have about him. Nothing else. I cant really argue about his record during games that he has started for us.

I can say that I have no hope of Alex Smith being able to turn his career around at this point.

On the other hand, I wont be upset, puke, punch something, or want to commit suicide if we happen to draft a position other than QB at #10. We need help on the O-line and we need help rushing the passer. We need anyone else at FS other than Roman. No stud at FS to take at 10 though.

I honestly dont believe we will draft a QB at 10. I trust the powers that be will make the correct choices, and then I will probably have to have this same argument next year.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:47 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

Quote:
Shaun Hill is a big boy and has been around the league as a 3rd stringer. I don't think you are going to hurt his ego too easily.

The reason you take Sanchez now is because he can be a FRANCHISE QB. Is a guy we take in the 4th or 5th (Harrell and the like) really ever going to be any better than Shaun Hill - NO, they won't so why bother.

'Developmental Guys' are 'developmental' for a reason. You hope you can one day 'develop' them into some kind of contributor. You don't ever expect to base your franchise around these guys.

If you aren't taking a QB that can be an upgrade on Hill and Smith. Don't even waste your time taking one.

totally agree here.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:13 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, let's take a guy with 16 career college starts and let him sit and watch 16 to 32 more games from the sidelines. Great use of that #10 pick. Hey GMoney, how predictable was that statement?

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If one more new Niner fan pops up advocating we draft a QB at ten I am going to find a small child and punch it right in the suck hole.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:15 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
I do not believe the 49ers can pass up the opporunity to take a franchise QB at pick 10 if Sanchez is still sitting there. It would be irresponsible to do so.
God I'm so sick of this argument. Than go tell the Cheifs fans to take Sanchez. Or the Jaguars, or the Rams, or the Seahawks, or the Bengals.

First, what the hell is a "franchise QB"? One that is paid a lot? One that wins? one that is drafted high? Give me a standard of some sort.

Just remember, Alex Smith was a "franchise QB" once as well. We couldn't afford to pass that one up either right?

No one busts more often than a "franchise QB" and they honestly aren't required for a team to win either. That's why i don't want one.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
God I'm so sick of this argument. Than go tell the Cheifs fans to take Sanchez. Or the Jaguars, or the Rams, or the Seahawks, or the Bengals.
Totally agree. I'm sick of having the 'golden rule' chanted at me, if it's true then Sanchez is gone by our pick.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post

So with that in mind, why in the world would you want to spend a pick on a player that will not contribute this year, or next year? What's the difference between Sanchez, whom you'd like to groom for two or three years, and developmental guy that you can get in the later rounds? You're going to sit them both for the same amount of time, but you're going to pay one of them significantly less money.

Not to mention that there will be an Everette Brown, or B.J Raji staring you in the face at #10, guys that could come in and start right away at positions of need. And I am a HUGE fan of getting Loadholt in the second. But as someone already pointed out, banking on someone lasting till your second pick is a calculated risk. In your scenario it's very possible that we draft Sanchez and MISS Loadholt in the second. Now we have passed on an elite defensive talent, and missed our RT option in the second round. I'm perfectly fine with taking the risk on missing Loadholt in the second, but if i'm doing that i'm going to make damn sure that I get a contributor in the first round. And that is NOT Sanchez.

Not to mention, that all Shaun Hill has done is win. Why slap him in the face with a first round QB? It's much more practical to grab someone late, and put playmakers on our roster that are going to start day one.

*** Side note, this is Orakpo's highlight vid off of youtube. And after watching it, i'm convinced Everette Brown is THE guy we want if we go the passrusher route. I hope Orakpo goes early. If you watch this, he is a one move guy. Brown is definitely more polished in my opinion.

It seems as if Orakpo just uses his athleticism to get by tackles which we all know won't work as well with the big boys.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What exactly defines a "franchise QB"? I mean there has to be something tangible because everyone that thinks the 49ers are going to draft Sanchez obviously knows that he is a "franchise QB"
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post

Thanks for posting the vid. It shows me a couple things:

1) Orakpo is a speedy cat who i somewhat of a one trick pony. He does have great athletic ability sand will do well as a 3/4 OLB in the NFL. He may just not be a star. Personally, if you look at highlight videos, Dan Cody was just as impressive to me but he ended up being a bust. I included a vid below that doesn't do him too much justice, but many of you whom follow the draft process remember some of his QB mashing sacks where he flew in seemingly from nowhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqLxEyZrLGY

2) More importantly, if my first point is true about Orakpo, then those of you on this "Loadholt in the 2nd" bandwagon need to jump off. Did you see how many times he absolutely got tooled by an undersized, athletic DE (Orakpo) in just the Texas game? WOW! Scary. IMO he has prototype size but no lateral movement and would do no better than Snyder for us next year at RT.

If the Niners Draft and obtain a couple FA's, it's very possible that they could fill all their wholes in the offseason, or at least the most glaring ones (OT, Pass Rush, NT, FS, QBOTF, RB2).

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

anyone who's name isn't alex smith.
why not use a high draft pick on bradford next season? other qb's in next year like jevean snead, colt mcoy, or tim heller from western michigan are going to be there next year. there is no need or hurry. hill is a solid guy, let him play.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm on record for not being huge on Sanchez and I feel that overdrafting him at 10 and letting him develop for the next 1-2 years would not have a huge edge over drafting one of the many more polished (3-4 year starters) that will be available in the 1st Round next year.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Sanchez could be a franchise quarterback. I am not disagreeing with you.

Many believed that Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McCown, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman.... You get my point.

Why risk the 10th overall pick, and pay that kind of money, to a guy who's had a handful of collegiate starts and plays at the position that has a high rate for busts.

And your thought that we shouldn't draft a quarterback unless he's going to be the best one on our roster is absurd. So is saying "i know there are great examples that prove me wrong, but ... don't use them against me" oops, you worded it as "P.S. you are going to have every anti-QB advodcate on this board bringing out the 'look at Brady, Montana and Cassell' comments for your success rate of late round QB argument. Predictable."

Sound the same to me.

But to be fair, I won't use Brady, Montana, or Cassel.

Marc Bulger
David Garrard
Jake Delhomme
Matt Hasselbeck
Jeff Garcia
Matt Schaub
Kurt Warner
Trent Edwards

You can absolutely draft a quarterback not in the first round, and still get a quality guy.

There is an article you should read: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...bust_than.html
The author, J.M. Pressley looked at quarterbacks drafted from 1985-2005.

Long story short, after reading that, you can't tell me drafting a quarterback in the first round is the best option.

Especially for our team. A team that is going to be a run the ball, stop the run type of team.

What is MY plan to address the quarterback situation? Simple. It goes like so: Alex Smith restructures his contract and stays with the team. We draft a quarterback in April to bring in and learn the system from Jimmy Raye and Johnson. Alex and Shaun compete in training camp and a starter is named sooner rather than later.

For the next two seasons we would have stability at the position with the same three guys on the roster, and we would have a fair chance to evaluate Alex vs. Shaun, and see how our rook has developed.

I'm sure your scenario is very similar. The problem is you are not leaving room for the possibility that Sanchez will bust. And as this Pressley guy shows, it's more likely Sanchez is Tim Couch, than Matt Ryan.

Last edited by king2am : 02-13-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: correcting a year
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote