Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
This past season the Steelers totaled 506passing attempts, 3,607 yards passing, 19 passing TD's, 460 rushing attempts 1,690 yards rushing, 16 rushing TD's. During the entire season, including the playoffs, the Steelers only had a 100 yard rusher 4 times.

The Giants also had more passing attempts, yards and TD's than rushing in 2007.

Yeah, you really ended the discussion. :D

But despite the irrefutable facts I posted, you'll probably just be stubborn and cling to the stereotype that passing is secondary in the NFL. And there will still be other posters acting as if nobody sticks to this stereotype despite posts like the one I quoted. No biggie, people don't like it when you notice things they weren't perceptive enough to.
Do u understand that Run First teams CAN pass? no one says passing is irrelevant. The Steelers are a run first team. The Giants are a run first team. What do u think do they rely on?

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This past season the Steelers totaled 506passing attempts, 3,607 yards passing, 19 passing TD's, 460 rushing attempts 1,690 yards rushing, 16 rushing TD's. During the entire season, including the playoffs, the Steelers only had a 100 yard rusher 4 times.

The Giants also had more passing attempts, yards and TD's than rushing in 2007.
That stat is so irrelevant. Most teams get more yardage, attempts and usually touchdowns through the air than through the ground, comparing both is like compare apples and oranges.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglez.Fan View Post
And if you say the Steelers couldn't run very well, they were more of a passing team that is also wrong.
It is? See the facts I posted above. Maybe it's just me, but when a team passes it more than runs it and has more passing TD's, I consider them a 'passing team' more than a 'running team'.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It is? See the facts I posted above. Maybe it's just me, but when a team passes it more than runs it and has more passing TD's, I consider them a 'passing team' more than a 'running team'.
OMGZ STATS!!!!! Show me a ******* team that doesnt have more passing TDs than Rushing TDs...

Old 02-15-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
i was being facetious
Touche....
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider View Post
That stat is so irrelevant. Most teams get more yardage, attempts and usually touchdowns through the air than through the ground, comparing both is like compare apples and oranges.
If most teams are passing it more and scoring more through the air, that kind of backs up my point: It takes more than a good defense and run game to win in today's NFL. A lot of fans and media are still stuck in that old mindset.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
OMGZ STATS!!!!! Show me a ******* team that doesnt have more passing TDs than Rushing TDs...
Ah yes: The original "It's only stats!!1!" argument. How creative. Gaining yards and scoring TD's actually matter in the games. But keep telling yourself it's only stats.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

yes, but that doesnt define a run first team.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ah yes: The original "It's only stats!!1!" argument. How creative. Gaining yards and scoring TD's actually matter in the games. But keep telling yourself it's only stats.
if you think the Giants won the Super Bowl and get there based on the passing game, you're nuts. Our running game and defense won it for us, and the D obviously won it for the Steelers this year, that D was dominant.

Just a quote from one Tom Brady for you: "Only 17 points? haha, ok Plaxico..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

The Steelers and Giants have invested huge amounts of money and high draft picks in their QB's and pass catchers. The Giants gave up multiple draft picks to move up ad get the QB they wanted in 2004. Whatever you want to label their offenses, it's undeniable they take passing the ball very seriously.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:40 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Steelers and Giants have invested huge amounts of money and high draft picks in their QB's and pass catchers. The Giants gave up multiple draft picks to move up ad get the QB they wanted in 2004. Whatever you want to label their offenses, it's undeniable they take passing the ball very seriously.
well no ****, no team doesn't take passing seriously. But for the most part, we're a running team.
even still, everyone knows it takes balance to win, this topic is kind of...obvious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
if you think the Giants won the Super Bowl and get there based on the passing game, you're nuts. Our running game and defense won it for us, and the D obviously won it for the Steelers this year, that D was dominant.

Just a quote from one Tom Brady for you: "Only 17 points? haha, ok Plaxico..."
You're trying to twist my argument. I never said anyone did ajnything based only on passing. I am stating that passing matters more than many people give it credit. You aare backing up my point by saying they won with running and defense. Both of the Giants TD's in the Super Bowl were passing TD's and they didn't even run for 100 yards as a team in the game. But, I'm sure you'll hold on to that misconception and tell me I'm wrong no matter how many facts I throw out.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

seriously? in an era people say that its a "Passing League" ur trying to tell us, passing is useful? nice!

btw the Patriots had a rushing TD in the Superbowl. Pats = Running team?

Old 02-15-2009, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If most teams are passing it more and scoring more through the air, that kind of backs up my point: It takes more than a good defense and run game to win in today's NFL. A lot of fans and media are still stuck in that old mindset.
Of course it takes more! You need a good passing game in order to compliment your running game. You won't get 4 or 5 yards every single play. Some teams are more consistent doing it, but not every drive in every game will you get 8 first downs rushing. You need to pass the ball to keep the defense on their heels and keep them from sticking to 8 in the box all the time.

I'm not a fan of showing stats, but since you love them I'll show you some.

Top 5 passing teams:
New Orleans Saints
Arizona Cardinals - P
Denver Broncos
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts - P

Top 5 rushing teams:
New York Giants - P
Atlanta Falcons - P
Carolina Panthers - P
Baltimore Ravens - P
Minnesota Vikings - P

the P means they made the playoffs.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
iBoldin
Veteran

iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You aare backing up my point by saying they won with running and defense.
No, he's not backing up your point then. Your point is that it takes more then running the ball and playing defense. You just contradicted your entire "argument" by saying the Giants got to the Super Bowl with running and defense.

And it's are, not aare.
iBoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:28 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is kind of pointless, it takes more than any one thing. You have to be able to do everything consistently. But history has shown that being able to run the ball and stop teams is more effective long term and in the playoffs. It's like pitching in baseball, your defense tends to be more consistent than your offense in big game situations. Same thing with running the ball where conditions like wind and temperature don't affect things. It also takes alot of the nervousness out of a game by running it, throwing involved more thinking and deciding while running is more on instincts and physical play which lessens the chances of mistakes in big games. It's not a fact, its just what history has pointed too and teams who have been able to do these things have been more successful than those who can't.

With all that said, if there is anything thats more important on a football team its QB play, and thats doesnt necessarily having anything to do with throwing the ball for lots of yards.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Throwing = Scoring.

Scoring = Winning.

Throwing = Winning.
But you have to prevent the other team from scoring, too, which is why teams run the ball. It runs the clock out, but probably more importantly, it is safer than passing.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
lol.

"teams have to be good at stuff to win."

is this really the statement being discussed? that a team needs to occasionally throw to win?

god i hate the offseason.
Aww, we're not winning anything for a while then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:12 AM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually the key to winning is scoring more points than the other team
Old 02-16-2009, 12:16 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
Actually the key to winning is scoring more points than the other team
What will they think of next!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Last 2 superbowl winners- New York Giants and Pitsburgh Steelers(defensive and running teams)
Last 2 superbowl losers- New England Patriots and Arizona Cardinals(passing teams)

End of discussion
If you watched any games this season... the Steelers were not a Running team.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
lol.

"teams have to be good at stuff to win."

is this really the statement being discussed? that a team needs to occasionally throw to win?

god i hate the offseason.
What, you don't like metafootball?

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

It's funny to me that many fans seem ok with a mediocre QB starting for their team. They seem to think the key to the NFL is all building a great team around a QB and then the QB just needs to avoid mistakes. That's wrong. Having a quality starting QB who can makes bad teams into good teams and good teams into great teams. What's really puzzling is San Francisco fans who are ok with Shaun Hill as the starter. Those fans are either young or have short memories. The only times the 49ers have been relevant was when they had great QB's. Those same fans will tell you that the 49ers just need a QB who 'won't lose games' and they can win with defense and handing the ball to Gore...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
If you watched any games this season... the Steelers were not a Running team.
In the playoffs we kicked it off running a good amount.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So you're all telling me that I can't sum up all of football strategy into one universal overarching sentence?
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote