Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting choices. I might not agree with them all but I wouldnt be disappointed if that was the draft the Niners had.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75
Wow Dan you make me laugh. Reading your stupidity always puts a smile on my face.
Did you ever think that excluding Rice, Owens and the others you mentioned, that every WR we had was worse than Stokes which is the ONLY reason as to why he looked good???

Sorry but if you dont think Stokes sucked, then you my friend are the true idiot and moron.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:08 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Did you ever think that excluding Rice, Owens and the others you mentioned, that every WR we had was worse than Stokes which is the ONLY reason as to why he looked good???

Sorry but if you dont think Stokes sucked, then you my friend are the true idiot and moron.

I need only mention the fact that he had more catches than 49er All-Time Great Freddie Soloman and only 5 fewer catches than John Taylor. He was far from an amazing WR but the numbers he put up while being behind the likes of Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, and Terrell Owens, I feel should be commended. Unfortunately, most blindly say "he sucked" because the 49ers traded up for him.

Last edited by phlysac : 02-19-2009 at 12:24 AM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac
I need only mention the fact that he had more catches than 49er All-Time Great Freddie Soloman and only 5 fewer catches than John Taylor. He was far from an amazing WR but the numbers he put up while being behind the likes of Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, and Terrell Owens, I feel should be commended. Unfortunately, most blindly say "he sucked" because the 49ers traded up for him.
Did anyone ever think that the reason why he even put up solid numbers was because of al those other guys??? With the rest being covered, obviously Stokes is going to catch more passes than he normally would.

And Stokes was outplayed badly by Tai Streets back in 2002. How sad is that? Bottom line is this - if you, menardo or anyne else thinks that Stokes was good or whatever, go ahead but I think that he SUCKED period.

Dont like my opinion??? Well, I dont really give a ****!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:26 AM    (permalink
FrankGore
Rookie

FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
I'm not expecting anything out of Spencer. He wasn't even very good when healthy. Other teams used to throw on him at will. I don't think he'll make the team next year.
Spencer hasn't been thrown on "at will" in quite some time...not sure when you're thinking of. He's a very good nickel/dime CB and can start in a pinch.
FrankGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:11 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Did anyone ever think that the reason why he even put up solid numbers was because of al those other guys??? With the rest being covered, obviously Stokes is going to catch more passes than he normally would.

And Stokes was outplayed badly by Tai Streets back in 2002. How sad is that? Bottom line is this - if you, menardo or anyne else thinks that Stokes was good or whatever, go ahead but I think that he SUCKED period.

Dont like my opinion??? Well, I dont really give a ****!!!
If you don't give a "****"! then quit arguing about it.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGore View Post
Spencer hasn't been thrown on "at will" in quite some time...not sure when you're thinking of. He's a very good nickel/dime CB and can start in a pinch.
Ugh. He's not "very good." Strickland is better than him and I don't think Strickland is "very good" either.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Every top player has been franchised or re-signed by their respective team. FA is going to suck this year. UGH.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:01 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Every top player has been franchised or re-signed by their respective team. FA is going to suck this year. UGH.
i know, i'm pissed. almost every player that i wanted the niners to actually make a play for has already been locked up
Old 02-19-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
FrankGore
Rookie

FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Ugh. He's not "very good." Strickland is better than him and I don't think Strickland is "very good" either.
As a NICKEL OR DIME corner (which is what I said), yes he is...I'm not sure what you really expect out of your 3rd or 4th corner but he's been far from a problem for this team. And Donald Strickland is a fine depth corner too. It's all relative. I would not start either one but if they have to come in and cover the other team's 3rd, 4th or 5th guys, I don't see them at a disadvantage.

If there's been problems with our coverage, it's been that our guys play too far off (including Clements and Harris), our pass rush is inconsistent and our safety help absolutely blows. The corners aren't the problem here.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:53 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
i know, i'm pissed. almost every player that i wanted the niners to actually make a play for has already been locked up
It could be a blessing in disguise. It truly is a depiction of how important it is to succeed in the draft because relying on FA signings just isn't a reliable method for long term success.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Since O.J., Suggs and Dansby have been franchised, here's my new FA wishlist -

FB Leonard Weaver (SEA)
OT Max Starks (PIT)
OT Khalif Barnes (JAX)
CB Dunta Robinson (HOU)
Cross Max Starks and Dunta Robinson off your list.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3919394
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6269456.html
Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My FA wishlist

FB Tony Richardson

Projected signing- 2 years, 3 million

-He's worked in Raye's offense before and is a punishing run blocker. He's always been around good running games. In KC, Minnesota last year, and the Jets this year, wherever he goes theres a good running game. I dont think its a coincedence. He's 37 but if we can draft a guy in the 7th for Richardson to groom over a year or 2 while he paves the way for the short-term, it can be well worth it.

RT Khalif Barnes

Projected signing- 4 years, 15 million

-Also a good run blocker. He's proven he isn't a LT with a mediocre performance this year so we may be able to get somewhat of a discount, as opposed to someone like Carey who may be able to get LT money.

NT Jovan Haye

Projected signing- 2 years, 2 million

-Just some NT depth. I still think we'll make it a priority in the draft if Raji is available but we cant go into the draft with only Franklin on the roster. It'll make us desperate.

FS Eugene Wilson

Projected signing- 3 years, 5 million

Some depth in the FS position. I have a hard time seeing a rookie making any impact. I think Wilson will compete with Reggie Smith or Dashon Goldson for the FS position. We can still add a top FS prospect but it gives us some flexibility.

I think this would be a good FA period. It wouldn't break the bank but we'd get 2 solid starters on offense and 2 solid backups on defense.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Oh no poor Dan.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
NT Jovan Haye

-Just some NT depth. I still think we'll make it a priority in the draft if Raji is available but we cant go into the draft with only Franklin on the roster. It'll make us desperate.

FS Eugene Wilson

Some depth in the FS position. I have a hard time seeing a rookie making any impact. I think Wilson will compete with Reggie Smith or Dashon Goldson for the FS position. We can still add a top FS prospect but it gives us some flexibility.

I think this would be a good FA period. It wouldn't break the bank but we'd get 2 solid starters on offense and 2 solid backups on defense.
Haye isn't a NT Wilson MIGHT be ok. Atleast he would be a true FS.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
My FA wishlist

FB Tony Richardson

Projected signing- 2 years, 3 million

-He's worked in Raye's offense before and is a punishing run blocker. He's always been around good running games. In KC, Minnesota last year, and the Jets this year, wherever he goes theres a good running game. I dont think its a coincedence. He's 37 but if we can draft a guy in the 7th for Richardson to groom over a year or 2 while he paves the way for the short-term, it can be well worth it.

RT Khalif Barnes

Projected signing- 4 years, 15 million

-Also a good run blocker. He's proven he isn't a LT with a mediocre performance this year so we may be able to get somewhat of a discount, as opposed to someone like Carey who may be able to get LT money.

NT Jovan Haye

FS Eugene Wilson

I agree 100% with Richardson and Barnes.

as for Haye... I don't think the 49ers want "depth" at NT. Fields and Sopoaga have been that behind Franklin. I feel the only way to address the NT position is to acquire someone that will make Franklin the "depth"

as for Wilson... FS is OBVIOUSLY a need position and I feel he's a viable option but I think the Pats will want to keep him. Also, don't forget about the addition of Jimmy Williams.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

fa list:
ot - mark tauscher
wr - hank baskett ( we will see if sf resigns johnson however )
dt - rocky bernard
fs - jermaine phillips

i feel tausher could play on right side for cheap and would be an upgrade over sims, jennings and snyder.
baskett is young and has played decent could also cost pennies to come to sf.
bernard may not be 3-4 dt, but you can't deny his production.
phillips is solid safety and he is a hell of a lot better than both lewis's and roman.

draft
1. bj raji - ot
2. larry english - de/olb
3. jermiah johnson - rb
4. trimane goddard - fs
5. xaiver fulton - ot
6. mike reilly - qb
7. kory sperry - te
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Getting Larry English in the 2nd would be awesome. It looks pretty doubtful though. And we'd have to pass on Brown/Orakpo in hopes of landing English in the second. That is a giant risk.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75
Oh no poor Dan.
I highly doubt it but have we ever agreed on anything??? Every player I want, you dont want and vice versa.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
fa list:
ot - mark tauscher
wr - hank baskett ( we will see if sf resigns johnson however )
dt - rocky bernard
fs - jermaine phillips

i feel tausher could play on right side for cheap and would be an upgrade over sims, jennings and snyder.
baskett is young and has played decent could also cost pennies to come to sf.
bernard may not be 3-4 dt, but you can't deny his production.
phillips is solid safety and he is a hell of a lot better than both lewis's and roman.

draft
1. bj raji - ot
2. larry english - de/olb
3. jermiah johnson - rb
4. trimane goddard - fs
5. xaiver fulton - ot
6. mike reilly - qb
7. kory sperry - te
Bernard isn't a 3-4 DE. Phillips is also a SS so that really wouldn't do much.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

With all our free agent targets getting scooped up, do you guys think we should strongly consider a move back in the first round to try and pick up another 2nd rounder or more? Looks like we might need an extra day one pick to get all our holes filled at RT/FS/OLB. Maybe I'm just overreacting a little bit though.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe it should be a scenario they look at, depending on who is available at 10 on Draft Day. If they don't feel that there is a Top 10 caliber pick, then they should indeed trade down.

That's how Scotty Mac likes to work the Draft. They grade guys by round, and if there isn't a worthy pick in that round, then they will trade down.

A couple years ago, they had Staley as the last 1st Round talent (out of only 22 players with 1st Round grades I believe) on their board and when he slid a few spots further, they aggressively traded up to nab him.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
FrankGore
Rookie

The thing with the free safeties is I don't feel like there's any in the draft that would be a lock to be a huge upgrade over Goldson, Smith, Williams or whatever other young guy we decide to play there. It almost feels wrong to spend a round 2 pick on someone like Rashad Johnson because he's just going to be another young guy thrown into the mix...he could be a little better than what we've got, but he's still going to be battling for the job. I say we might as well just cut Roman and open it up to competition between the young guys. SOMEONE should be able to play a decent centerfield for us. McCloughan basically implied the same thing today.

Outside of that, I feel like we could still nab a RT in free agency in Khalif Barnes or Ray Willis. That leaves us looking for a pass rusher, possibly a NT, a RB, and later on a ILB, WR, OT depth...which we have plenty of picks for.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Dolphins re-signed OT Vernon Carey today so scratch another player off the list and am I the only one who thinks that the contract Gross signed was cheaper than what he would have received in the open market?

Anyway, here's out own FA's -

QB J.T. O’Sullivan
QB Jamie Martin
RB DeShaun Foster
RB Zak Keasey (restricted)
WR Bryant Johnson
TE Billy Bajema
TE Sean Ryan
OT Damane Duckett
DT Ronald Fields
OLB Roderick Green
ILB Takeo Spikes
CB Donald Strickland
CB Allen Rossum

I'm hoping we re-sign Johnson, Bajema, Fields, Spikes, Strickland and Rossum. Most should be pretty cheap to keep especially with other veterans available in FA for some of the positions. The rest I would let leave.

Here's my updated FA wishlist -

FB Leonard Weaver (SEA)
RT Ray Willis (SEA)

Thats pretty much it. I switched from Barnes to Willis because I think that Willis will be cheaper and yes, he is a UFA. I'm also not happy with Barnes off the field so unless Willis did something off the field too, he's my top choice to play RT.

I dont see us going after DE Igor Oshlansky (SD) or ILB Channing Crowder (MIA) even though I wouldnt mind either one.

Thoughts???
Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Thoughts???
Ummm...You can never have enough guys named Willis?

:)
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote