Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Manning agrees to restructure contract

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer
February 21, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Peyton Manning has agreed to restructure his contract with the Indianapolis Colts to save the team nearly $8 million in salary cap space.

The Super Bowl MVP was to receive a $10 million roster bonus during the offseason but by converting the money into a regular signing bonus, the Colts can prorate that amount over the remaining four years of his deal. That saves Indianapolis space under the cap, which is $109 million.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These roster bonuses are so clever. They are now put there to insure you are still healthy and playing instead of just giving to them as regular signing bonuses originally. From Peyton's side what the hell does he care if the 10 milllion in his pocket is a roster bonus or signing bonus. Its still 10 mil in his account.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good for Indy.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Good for Indy.
I wonder if they will lock up Freeney now or still have him play tagged?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Good for Indy.
I wonder if they will lock up Freeney now or still have him play tagged?
I think they had to do this just to tag Freeney. I don't think they were under enough money to even carry the franchise figure.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Peyton isnt even in the top 3 for highest paid QB's. He easily could be if he wanted to.

Im pretty sure that he would take a pay cut just to help his team. If Tom Moore ever retires, they should just hire Payton, while hes the QB to do it.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
kevin148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
These roster bonuses are so clever. They are now put there to insure you are still healthy and playing instead of just giving to them as regular signing bonuses originally. From Peyton's side what the hell does he care if the 10 milllion in his pocket is a roster bonus or signing bonus. Its still 10 mil in his account.
I don't believe the Colts have to claim signing bonuses against the cap.
It's all crap anyways...since NFL Contracts aren't guarenteed...players
look more to the signing bonus than incentive bonuses and overall contract "value".

in the end Peyton isn't going to be filing for foodstams anytime soon
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its not like he needed all that 10 mil he makes, But good team jesture

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

not surprising at all.
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Pretty much. The Eagles have been doing this for years, and teams are just starting to catch on. We were actually talking about this in the thread that had the top salaries in 2006 by position. Manning's base salary the first three years was only $1 million, but he had $10 milion roster bonuses. This year in the contract, his base salary jumps way up and puts his cap hit at around $17 million. So just convert all that salary and roster bonus to signing bonus, which gets prorated over the life on the contract. It actually gives Manning more guaranteed money than before.

The only way this could possibly hurt the Colts is if Manning's play greatly drops off in the next few years or he starts getting plagued with injuries. Neither is likely to happen.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfaithful
Its not like he needed all that 10 mil he makes, But good team jesture
You obviously don't understand how the salary cap works or what restructuring means.

JUST SO NOBODY ELSE GETS CONFUSED, RESTRUCTURING DOES NOT MEAN THE SAME THING AS TAKING A PAY CUT. THEY ARE JUST TAKING HIS BASE SALARY AND ROSTER BONUS AND CONVERTING IT TO SIGNING BONUS
Old 02-21-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hasn't his whole profile done a 180. I used to hate him, thinking him an ugly nerd but since his tv ads I now see he has a personality and I actually like the guy. It doesn't surprise me he's done something for the team

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan
Hasn't his whole profile done a 180. I used to hate him, thinking him an ugly nerd but since his tv ads I now see he has a personality and I actually like the guy. It doesn't surprise me he's done something for the team
Again, this has nothing to do with a player doing something for his team. What player wouldn't want to convert unguaranteed salary and roster bonuses into guaranteed signing bonus?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Quote:
Again, this has nothing to do with a player doing something for his team. What player wouldn't want to convert unguaranteed salary and roster bonuses into guaranteed signing bonus?
Yes I know he's still gettin his $$$ but it also frees up money in the cap. Its a win - win for all at indy is my point.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I know he's still gettin his $$$ but it also frees up money in the cap. Its a win - win for all at indy is my point.
That's the point that I've been trying to emphasize. It's not that Manning (or any player - I'm not trying to pick on Peyton) is doing something noble or righteous for his team. He's getting just as much out of it as they are.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, if I'm reading this right he was going to get 10 million dollars this offseason, so there would be no chance in hell he'd miss out on it. It was virtually guaranteed money that he agreed to smeer out over 4 seasons, so even though he still gets it, he DOES help out his team right now with the cap situation.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

That was a smart move by Indy, hey needed the space i they planned on keeping Freeny.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Colts were in a quandry, tagging Freeney was simply a temporary thing as much stated in this thread and the Freeney Tagged one. I think that Freeney being signed long-term is the first thing that will be addressed with this. Also, I believe this clears up some space so the Colts could actually, you know, SIGN draft picks which is usually encouraged after drafting players.

Other players that Indianapolis might look at to sign long-term, who are FAs soon, would be Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders. Those were two of the key components in the playoffs this season for them. The Colts usually don't pursue many top-dollar FAs (like there are many left as of now) with the last two offseasons bringing in Corey Simon late and Adam Vinatieri.

Also I read in the Colts thread that Robert Mathis' deal was also restructured to help out Indy.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is what team guys and great people do, Ed Reed should take a look at this and learn since he wants AD back so bad and is willing to sound off against the team that just made him the highest paid safety.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, if I'm reading this right he was going to get 10 million dollars this offseason, so there would be no chance in hell he'd miss out on it. It was virtually guaranteed money that he agreed to smeer out over 4 seasons, so even though he still gets it, he DOES help out his team right now with the cap situation.
Yeah I was just going to add in, that Manning still gets his money, but he will no longer be getting it all at the same time. Restructuring usually spreads out your money and in some cases backloads your contracts which could potentially screw your teams salary cap in the future.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

very team oreiented and the Colts will be much better for his sacrfice

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He isn't making a 'sacrifice,' rather, he gets the same amount of money via a different conduit. One that is used by a multitude of teams, as a loop-hole in the salary cap.

Besides I am trying to remember if everyone praised Michael Vick, for doing this exact thing LAST YEAR, hmmm....
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It is a sacrifice on the players behalf because of the interest from the 10 million that he'd lose out on for those 4 years. Also, if say Vick who restructered was released next season wouldn't he loose out on some of the money?
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Think of restructuring as updating a contract. Don't think of it like a pay cut which is a loss of money.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01
Think of restructuring as updating a contract. Don't think of it like a pay cut which is a loss of money.

It helps the team, for sure, but some people are acting as if Peyton Manning is being self-less and sacrificing monetarily. That simply isn't the case.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote