Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-17-2009, 09:17 AM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

hannah73 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default What if they can't dump Cassel?

What if they can't dump Cassel?

That would be a disaster.

Maybe they would have been better off getting a 3rd round comp pick for him.

I mean, he's not going to sign anything with a lower signing bonus than his 14M franchise fee, I'd think. That alone makes him kind of a gamble/expensive for another team.
hannah73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Vikings/Lions/Buccs offered him a contract in the neighborhood of 3 years with a 10 million signing bonus I think he would take it. The money would be close (guaranteed) and the long term potential would be much greater, plus he would be the starter.

I doubt any athlete gives up the opportunity to be The Guy while earning roughly the same money, if not more. My guess is Detroit. They could give up the Cowboys #20 overall and will have turned Roy Williams into a potential franchise QB and pick #82 overall and still go into the draft with pick #1, 33, and 65.

It is risky, but there are at least 4 teams that need a QB (Vikes, Lions, Buccs, 49ers) and several more that can't feel they are 100% set at the position (Bears, Rams, Chiefs, Titans). Could the tag backfire? Sure, but I really don't see any scenario where the Pats don't get a Schaub like offer of two second round picks.

33. Lions
34. Chiefs
35. Rams
43. 49ers
49. Bears
50. Buccaneers
62. Titans (though I think the Titans would have to offer a #1 this year or next to make it work - and I doubt they're willing to give up on VY this year.)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 02-17-2009 at 09:46 AM.
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It won't backfire... Worst case, they have Cassel for 2009 and are more limited in how they proceed with free agency.
________
Glass Pipe

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:47 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 PM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
It won't backfire... Worst case, they have Cassel for 2009 and are more limited in how they proceed with free agency.
Keeping him in 2009 would be a disaster cap wise.

Then they'd get nothing for him the following year, unless they're willing to franchise him again at 15M or so.

It was risky franchising him. They'd get a 3rd comp without the franchise. They're gambling that for the higher pick.

I suppose there's a chance Brady doesn't come back right away, but if he's out for long I think the season will be pretty much lost anyway.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:08 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

11-5 without him this year, and that was with the early season 'growing pains' Cassel faced. I like the chances with him starting from the get go, and doubt his staying would prevent the team from signing draft picks. It really won't be a big issue, imo.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:44 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And the chances of trading Cassel are somewhat slim right now considering what the teams that were candidates have done so far, or are likely to do...
________
Blondelicious

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

HellonEarth84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

detroit, KC... who else ?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well how much cap room do the Pats have left?

Also What if Tom doesn't click right away? at least you have your Franchise Tagged Qb waiting, so your season doesn't tank.

Don' forget they can trade him during the season.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

They screwed up by franchising him.

He thinks he's worth big money and won't accept a trade to a team which doesn't offer it.

He's a one year wonder...10M / 3 years sounds about right...maybe more with incentives.

Instead the pat(sies) are giving him 15M in one year? And expect to trade him? Don't think so.

The Pats are the Pats(ies) on this one. BB screwed up big time.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah73 View Post
They screwed up by franchising him.

He thinks he's worth big money and won't accept a trade to a team which doesn't offer it.

He's a one year wonder...10M / 3 years sounds about right...maybe more with incentives.

Instead the pat(sies) are giving him 15M in one year? And expect to trade him? Don't think so.

The Pats are the Pats(ies) on this one. BB screwed up big time.
I'm sorry, but this post is ********.

Cassel has never said anything like that. He's made the league minimum - of course he signed that $14m tender. He doesn't have much choice other than to go to a new team if the Pats trade him, and whatever contract that new team offers him will surely be worth more than $14m guaranteed.

Belichick really screwed up by making sure they didn't lose a 26-year old 6'5 240lb QB with an arm, legs, and moxie who won 11 games and posted good stats for absolutely nothing... Real ****-up on Bill's part...

And if it turns out they don't trade him (doubtful that he'll be in NE this Summer), so what? They've got just enough cap room and draft picks to get the job done in 2009. The only real negative to come out of having his contract is that it restricts their ability to negotiate new contracts for other players.
________
JellyGirly

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this post is ********.

Cassel has never said anything like that. He's made the league minimum - of course he signed that $14m tender. He doesn't have much choice other than to go to a new team if the Pats trade him, and whatever contract that new team offers him will surely be worth more than $14m guaranteed.

Belichick really screwed up by making sure they didn't lose a 26-year old 6'5 240lb QB with an arm, legs, and moxie who won 11 games and posted good stats for absolutely nothing... Real ****-up on Bill's part...

And if it turns out they don't trade him (doubtful that he'll be in NE this Summer), so what? They've got just enough cap room and draft picks to get the job done in 2009. The only real negative to come out of having his contract is that it restricts their ability to negotiate new contracts for other players.

Well Cassel gets 14M for doing nothing but sitting on a bench. A new team is going to have to up the ante A LOT to sign him. Something like 30M / 4 years with 15M guaranteed. If he doesn't get that, why sign? He could sign that deal next year AFTER collecting 14M for doing nothing.

And no team wants to pay him that. Let alone trade a pick to pay him that. So that's that.

It's a screw up because it ties up huge money in a bench warmer, nice season though he had. If they had just let him walk they'd get a 3rd comp for him and not have to waste 14M on him.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

$30m/4 years is nothing for a QB (he'll get a lot more than that)... Cassel just wants a secure team to go to, which isn't a big deal considering the teams that are candidates to trade for him.

All of the Pats' needs are cheap fixes, and they have a number of draft picks. They're hurting themselves far less by having Cassel on the roster next year than they would if he wasn't around and they got nothing in return for him.

And I don't think you understand how comp picks work, this isn't baseball. Even so, he'll be a free agent eventually.

I don't know where you get that backup jive from. The dude is the consensus #1 off-season option at QB.
________
Chrystal live

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 PM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

Quote:
$30m/4 years is nothing for a QB (he'll get a lot more than that)... Cassel just wants a secure team to go to, which isn't a big deal considering the teams that are candidates to trade for him.

All of the Pats' needs are cheap fixes, and they have a number of draft picks. They're hurting themselves far less by having Cassel on the roster next year than they would if he wasn't around and they got nothing in return for him.

And I don't think you understand how comp picks work, this isn't baseball. Even so, he'll be a free agent eventually.

I don't know where you get that backup jive from. The dude is the consensus #1 off-season option at QB.

Why do you say I don't understand comp picks? If they didn't sign him and he signs elsewhere, they'd likely get a 3rd round comp pick. Is that not right?

Consensus #1 option...well we'll see. Doesn't seem to be too much interest in teh consensus #1 option as of yet.

He's a backup on the Pats if all things work out well. I suppose if Brady is still injured, he's not, but then the season is questionable, in my opinion. Pretty much lost if Brady doesn't play at some point. Might as well play O'Connel for 1/20th the money and have the cap room.

That contract is cheap...for a PROVEN QB, which Cassel apparently is NOT, at least in teh eyes of potential trade partners. How do we know? Because they are not ponying up the dough for our one year wonder, that's how.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah73 View Post
Why do you say I don't understand comp picks? If they didn't sign him and he signs elsewhere, they'd likely get a 3rd round comp pick. Is that not right?
No. There are innumerable variables to the comp pick process. Aside from the fact that it'd be stupid to "take the comp pick" anyway. It's basically a 4th round pick. The Pats can easily get a 2nd at worst for Cassel.

Quote:
Consensus #1 option...well we'll see. Doesn't seem to be too much interest in teh consensus #1 option as of yet.
It's not "we'll see" it's now, it's fact. Not all the teams that are interested can afford him, but he's definitely the best QB available. Teams like Detroit also are going to carefully weigh their options.

Quote:
He's a backup on the Pats if all things work out well. I suppose if Brady is still injured, he's not, but then the season is questionable, in my opinion. Pretty much lost if Brady doesn't play at some point. Might as well play O'Connel for 1/20th the money and have the cap room.
How is the season in question if Brady's not starting and Cassel is? They won 11 games last year, and are only going to be better whether Cassel or Brady is the QB...

Quote:
That contract is cheap...for a PROVEN QB, which Cassel apparently is NOT, at least in teh eyes of potential trade partners. How do we know? Because they are not ponying up the dough for our one year wonder, that's how.
News flash: Free agency just started today. I feel sad for you.
________
Park Royal 1 Condos Prathumnak Pattaya

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:57 AM.