Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:48 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellonEarth84 View Post
Steelers are set at QB, RB, WR, S, NT, TE

Team Needs: OT, OG, OC, DE, possibly LB and CB in the later rounds.

Fenuki Tupou - Run Blocking OT. Huge guy. Could be what the Steelers need for goal line situations.

Chris Baker - NT/DE - Rotational guy, could possibly start in a couple years. Experienced in the 3-4. Insurance for Hampton, and could also give the big guy some much needed time to breathe on the bench.

Cody Brown - OLB - Harrison is 30 years old. Take a shot on Brown in round 3 if he's still around, let him sit and learn for a couple years, and could eventually be a starter opposite of Woodley.
apparently Bruce Davis is really coming along and will be harrisons replacement

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellonEarth84 View Post
Steelers are set at QB, RB, WR, S, NT, TE

Team Needs: OT, OG, OC, DE, possibly LB and CB in the later rounds.

Fenuki Tupou - Run Blocking OT. Huge guy. Could be what the Steelers need for goal line situations.

Chris Baker - NT/DE - Rotational guy, could possibly start in a couple years. Experienced in the 3-4. Insurance for Hampton, and could also give the big guy some much needed time to breathe on the bench.

Cody Brown - OLB - Harrison is 30 years old. Take a shot on Brown in round 3 if he's still around, let him sit and learn for a couple years, and could eventually be a starter opposite of Woodley.
Set at WR/NT?

Hampton is still one of the better NT's but he's aging and he's not as dominant. Chris Hoke is solid as a rotational DE/NT... But It's certainly a place to look up. I don't think Baker is a NT because he's better set as a 3-tech.

WR We may lose Nate Washington and we're only 4 deep at WR as it is.

Right now we have:

Santonio Holmes
Hines Ward
Nate Washington - Free Agent, could leave
Limas Sweed - Unproven
Martin Nance - Unproven Practice Squad.

if a guy like Harvin is at 32, I'm running the card to the podium.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 AM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

THav916 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Set at WR/NT?

Hampton is still one of the better NT's but he's aging and he's not as dominant. Chris Hoke is solid as a rotational DE/NT... But It's certainly a place to look up. I don't think Baker is a NT because he's better set as a 3-tech.

Right now we have:

Santonio Holmes
Hines Ward
Limas Sweed - Unproven

Out of curiosity, IF we resign Nate, do you still 'run the card to the podium' with Percy's name on it?

In either scenario, let's assume Harvin is gone, who do you turn to next?
THav916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Set at WR/NT?

Right now we have:

Santonio Holmes
Hines Ward
Limas Sweed - Unproven

I would rather have DHB at 32 over Harvin. That is JMO though.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I would rather have DHB at 32 over Harvin. That is JMO though.
Why?

Holmes and Sweed are a great pair of 1/2's

I think I'd have Sweed at the 1, Holmes at the 2.

DHB is a 2 with 1 potential?

Why not get a slot receiver? DHB is not a punt returner either.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THav916 View Post
Out of curiosity, IF we resign Nate, do you still 'run the card to the podium' with Percy's name on it?

In either scenario, let's assume Harvin is gone, who do you turn to next?
If Washington comes back? no. I'd still be tempted.

If Harvin is gone?

Loadholt, Sean Smith, DJ Moore, Aaron Maybin, Trade down for a 2+3, Jarron Gilbert.

No paticular order.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
If Washington comes back? no. I'd still be tempted.

If Harvin is gone?

Loadholt, Sean Smith, DJ Moore, Aaron Maybin, Trade down for a 2+3, Jarron Gilbert.

No paticular order.
Fair enough. What we do in March will certainly dictate April's draft.

I love Harvin, but I don't love him as much for the Steelers and just think we need other positions more. But I won't complain about Harvin because I think he'll be gone anyway, and if he is there at 32 he's definitely fallen and talented.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

I'm holding out hope that we resign Max, BMac and Nate. With that in mind my group of first round targets are all found on either side of the line. I'll throw in the fact that I never mind going with best player available and maybe I'll think harder who I'd like to fall, but it's always tough to project who 'should go 17th but might fall to 32nd' than it is including guys mostly slotted between 25 and 40. It's another reason I hope this board doesn't turn into a Percy Harvin debate because there's a good chance he won't even be available. Anyway, my targets are...

Alex Mack-My #1 choice
Max Unger-My #2 choice-I just think Mack and Unger are too solid and too perfect of what we need to pass if available.

Phil Loadholt-Top reasonable RT

The following four DE's are mentioned anywhere from about 15th to 80th, but I could see a guy like Gilbert rising just as much as I could see a guy like Jackson falling, so I'm just kinda putting them all into a group. If a guy like Hood ends up not looking like a 3-4 DE then I'd of course drop him from the list. But for now, these are the four.

Tyson Jackson
Ziggy Hood
Fili Moala
Jarron Gilbert

Ron Brace-Pure NT would also be an option

Last edited by THav916 : 02-09-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.

1. Alex Mack C California
2. Max Unger OL Oregon
3. Tyson Jackson DE LSU
4. Eben Britton OT Arizona
5. Duke Robinson G Oklahoma
6. William Beatty OT Connecticut

I'd be happy with any of those 6 at #32, specifically Max Unger, who if you remember was in the 20's of all the mocks last year..so it's not like value isn't there. Same with Duke Robinson. This is one draft where our needs won't have to be a reach pick. All these guys are BPA material.
Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt View Post
2. Max Unger OL Oregon
3. Tyson Jackson DE LSU

I'd be happy with any of those 6 at #32, specifically Max Unger, who if you remember was in the 20's of all the mocks last year..so it's not like value isn't there. Same with Duke Robinson. This is one draft where our needs won't have to be a reach pick. All these guys are BPA material.
Ugh..

of those I'd eventually get over taking Mack.

Unger is a jack of all trades, great of none. Sure he'd be solid, but he's not going to be "All-world" which is not worth a first as an interior lineman. Especially with Levitre/Wood avail later.

Tyson Jackson is terrible. How is he supposed to hold up as a 3-4 DE when he doesn't do **** 1 on 1 against a RT in a 4-3? You've complained about Gilbert in one who was much more productive, actually faced double teams, and actually has upside. Jackson, if anyones lucky, could be someday nearly as good as marcus spears.. but he's not near the run stopper that Spears is.

Eben Britton sure dropped quick.. supposed 5-10 pick, declares, everyone realizes how flawed he is and he's not a solid run blocker and he's more of a finesse RT. Where does he fit? The Coaching staff chooses to use Starks and Colon. A first round on a backup RT?

Ugh Duke Robinson. The definition of terrible. He's fat, overweight, terrible technique. The dude has twice been destroyed for huge national games. He hasn't improved. He's not a fit for the scheme either. Round 3? I'd think about it.

William Beatty is 2 years away from having the strength to be a starting LT with Run blocking abilities. He'd be great in the first round to play as the 3rd TE.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Ugh..

of those I'd eventually get over taking Mack.

Unger is a jack of all trades, great of none. Sure he'd be solid, but he's not going to be "All-world" which is not worth a first as an interior lineman. Especially with Levitre/Wood avail later.

Tyson Jackson is terrible. How is he supposed to hold up as a 3-4 DE when he doesn't do **** 1 on 1 against a RT in a 4-3? You've complained about Gilbert in one who was much more productive, actually faced double teams, and actually has upside. Jackson, if anyones lucky, could be someday nearly as good as marcus spears.. but he's not near the run stopper that Spears is.

Eben Britton sure dropped quick.. supposed 5-10 pick, declares, everyone realizes how flawed he is and he's not a solid run blocker and he's more of a finesse RT. Where does he fit? The Coaching staff chooses to use Starks and Colon. A first round on a backup RT?

Ugh Duke Robinson. The definition of terrible. He's fat, overweight, terrible technique. The dude has twice been destroyed for huge national games. He hasn't improved. He's not a fit for the scheme either. Round 3? I'd think about it.

William Beatty is 2 years away from having the strength to be a starting LT with Run blocking abilities. He'd be great in the first round to play as the 3rd TE.
lol you bash Duke Robinson for getting destroyed, but draft Phil Loadholt in your mock after being dominated over and over again in the Senior Bowl, specifically in the endzone letting up a safety sack for a Touchdown in a matter of 2 seconds.

You trade away our first round pick (only round we've had success in lately) for more picks to compete with the contracts of 2010 in Ward, Harrison, Miller, Hampton, Keisel, Reed, Clark, etc. If trading, it would be up to get our guy (see Polamalu, Holmes). Poor insight here.

Max Unger's versatility could allow the Steelers to move Offensive Lineman around for a better fit and utilize later draft picks in other areas. Just a thought. :) This guy would be around for years. That's definitely not what we want on this OL.

So you expect Tyson Jackson to rush the passer and collect sacks in the 3-4, is that what you're saying? lol I'll just shake my head on this one.

Only part of your post that made sense is Britton. I'll take it into account next time.
Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Strongside
Veteran

Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
(only round we've had success in lately)
wat. I'm pretty sure Woodley, Spaeth, ***, Sepulveda before his injury were pretty successful. The change from college to NFL doesn't happen instantaneously very often, and especially not in 2-7 rounds.

I agree with you about Duke and Unger both being pretty good choices in the first round, I think Stiller is totally right about Jackson. Where did he say anything about Tyson collecting sacks? He's saying he's not strong enough to play in our 3-4, which is right.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
2. Max Unger OL Oregon
3. Tyson Jackson DE LSU

Good list dude. I always get a kick outta people completely bashing a mock draft on here like they're a professional scout. Real life GM's have trouble analyzing players let alone people here on the message board. Mack and Unger are also my two top targets. Not a big fan of Duke Robinson and not sure what to think of the others, but I completely agree with the list in terms of six reasonable candidates at positions of need that we'll be in the market for.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
lol you bash Duke Robinson for getting destroyed, but draft Phil Loadholt in your mock after being dominated over and over again in the Senior Bowl, specifically in the endzone letting up a safety sack for a Touchdown in a matter of 2 seconds.

You trade away our first round pick (only round we've had success in lately) for more picks to compete with the contracts of 2010 in Ward, Harrison, Miller, Hampton, Keisel, Reed, Clark, etc. If trading, it would be up to get our guy (see Polamalu, Holmes). Poor insight here.

Max Unger's versatility could allow the Steelers to move Offensive Lineman around for a better fit and utilize later draft picks in other areas. Just a thought. :) This guy would be around for years. That's definitely not what we want on this OL.

So you expect Tyson Jackson to rush the passer and collect sacks in the 3-4, is that what you're saying? lol I'll just shake my head on this one.

Only part of your post that made sense is Britton. I'll take it into account next time.

So, because we draft well in round 1 we shouldn't trade down and add multiple guys in a deep draft at the top?

Unger could let them move guys around, and he's not as good as Wood/Mack. He'll be decent at any position, but, not great, and I'll pass with that.

As for Jackson... sacks are a plus... but I expect a guy thats going to play in a 2-gap scheme be able to not get dominated by 1 OT.

Loadholt actually looked in shape, and has a lot more potential. Duke Robinson is downright terrible.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
So, because we draft well in round 1 we shouldn't trade down and add multiple guys in a deep draft at the top?

Unger could let them move guys around, and he's not as good as Wood/Mack. He'll be decent at any position, but, not great, and I'll pass with that.

As for Jackson... sacks are a plus... but I expect a guy thats going to play in a 2-gap scheme be able to not get dominated by 1 OT.

Loadholt actually looked in shape, and has a lot more potential. Duke Robinson is downright terrible.
Dude, I agree a lot, but why should anyone else even bother postingon here? You act like there's only one answer to everything. I took a look back at recent years and noticed you thought LaMarr Woodley was horrible and we'd be better off passing on him and drafting a guy like Tim Shaw late. Last year you said no way Matt Forte was worth a 1st round pick. I don't even care but just sayin I think you should tone it down with your spectacular analysis.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:30 AM    (permalink
Palmer26
Rookie

Palmer26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1st round:
1. DE Jarron Gilbert (San Jose St)
2. C Alex Mack (Cal)
3. CB Sean Smith (Utah)

2nd round:
1. OG Kraig Urbik
2. OT Phil Loadholt (Oklahoma)
3. CB Victor Harris (Va Tech)
4. NT Ron Brace (Boston College)

3rd round:
1. S David Bruton
2. OG Herman Johnson
3. C Eric Wood

Needless to say, you can see the positions I want addressed early: O-line, D-line CB.
Palmer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:39 AM    (permalink
savedbygrace89
Rookie

savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default I like your list

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
No O-lineman grade out as a first for you? If that's the case I'm guessing we trade up or down to draft one after ignoring it last year. That said it's a quality list and I'd love to see Harris in a Steelers uni next year.

As for Harvin his speed and moves with the ball is sick but he's still a Gator WR and that scares me LOL
I dont want a Gator reciever unless he has been in the league for 4 or so years and has proven himself. Gator recievers are kind of like the Ohio State Buckeyes, you never know when they might show up to play in big games
savedbygrace89 is offline   Reply With Quote