Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

granted, I dont get to see these guys in practice but I would be a little disapointed if all we do to address the WR corps this year is draft a guy on day one. But who knows, maybe we'll take a flyer on a veteran with something to prove. It would be nice however to have a receiver 6'3 or taller one of these years. When you think about it, we haven't had a big, physical, reliable target since Keyshawn.

Plax anyone? (only kidding)
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he wouldn't have to move. and he's already familiar with the night club scene in the area. perfect fit for everyone!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

okay123 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i agree with everyone else that it isn't worth it to get housh... too much money and we need a #1, not another #2.

i'm thinking at this point we should trade up to get maclin if he falls to the teens. and since tanny seems to love to trade up to get his guy on draft day, i don't think it's out of the realm of possibility (assuming he likes maclin, or wants to get a top WR). if we don't get maclin, i think we should trade back into the 25ish range to grab nicks.
okay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okay123 View Post
i'm thinking at this point we should trade up to get maclin if he falls to the teens. and since tanny seems to love to trade up to get his guy on draft day, i don't think it's out of the realm of possibility (assuming he likes maclin, or wants to get a top WR). if we don't get maclin, i think we should trade back into the 25ish range to grab nicks.
I wouldn't mind a trade up using the Jets third given their recent track record with that round. However, at the moment, the three people I'm hoping the Jets get one of in the first round are Maclin, DHB and Kenny Britt and I'm fairly certain one or two of them will be there at #17. If the Jets don't trade up, I'd probably be happier if the Jets traded up in the second to get the safety their have highest on their board.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:51 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Maclin, DHB, Britt, and Nicks are all guys I really like. At 17 I hope Maclin or DHB are there. If not I would like to trade down to the lower 20s and grab Britt or Nicks.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
Maclin, DHB, Britt, and Nicks are all guys I really like. At 17 I hope Maclin or DHB are there. If not I would like to trade down to the lower 20s and grab Britt or Nicks.
I'd be afraid to trade down for Britt. I look at who's picking and I wonder if Britt would be taken 18th if the Jets traded down.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I'd be afraid to trade down for Britt. I look at who's picking and I wonder if Britt would be taken 18th if the Jets traded down.
You may be right. I wonder if the bears are high on him. As long as we get 1 of those 4 I think I would be pretty happy.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

okay123 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
i don't think britt will go anywhere higher than mid 20s, so i'm not worried about that and would be willing to trade back and take that small risk. and even if he is taken when we trade back, i would be fine with nicks.

also, regarding DHB, watch out for him being the 1st WR off the board to the raiders now that seattle will most likely not take crabtree because they signed housh. would that be crazy or what (although i know it's not likely)?
okay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okay123 View Post
i don't think britt will go anywhere higher than mid 20s, so i'm not worried about that and would be willing to trade back and take that small risk. and even if he is taken when we trade back, i would be fine with nicks.

also, regarding DHB, watch out for him being the 1st WR off the board to the raiders now that seattle will most likely not take crabtree because they signed housh. would that be crazy or what (although i know it's not likely)?
I still think Crickett's point on the Bears is pretty good, Britt fits what they need really well. Nicks would probably be a better pick for them, though.

With the Raiders, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Harvin a long look at 7 as an off the wall pick. Seems like the kind of thing Al Davis might do.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bart Scott's trying to recruit all the Ravens players (minus Ray Ray). Look at our leader go...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Bart Scott's trying to recruit all the Ravens players (minus Ray Ray). Look at our leader go...
Good to hear, but I heard Leonhard left town aaaaaaaaand its unlikely that Samari Rolle or Chris McAlister would be willing to accept the nickel role they'd have on the Jets roster. :(
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Good to hear, but I heard Leonhard left town aaaaaaaaand its unlikely that Samari Rolle or Chris McAlister would be willing to accept the nickel role they'd have on the Jets roster. :(
Have we heard anything new on Leonhard? Are there any other FA Safeties that we like? Mike Brown is a FA, and has a bad history with injuries but if healthy he was a heck of a player. He may look to sign a short term deal with incentives to prove himself. If he has anything left he may be a decent gamble.

Last edited by jmess15 : 03-03-2009 at 07:10 AM.
jmess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I still think Crickett's point on the Bears is pretty good, Britt fits what they need really well. Nicks would probably be a better pick for them, though.

With the Raiders, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Harvin a long look at 7 as an off the wall pick. Seems like the kind of thing Al Davis might do.
I think if Britt is on the board at 17 and all the other guys are gone, there is no choice but to take him. A trade down always sounds promising, but you obviously run the risk of losing out on the guy you want. I think Britt makes perfect sense for the bears considering they still have a young qb. With a nice pass catching tight end already in place, it would make perfect sense to have a big wr that has shown that he can adjust to poorly thrown balls in college.

As for Harvin at 7, not very likely. However, the fact that it seems like even an outside possibility to anyone just shows how crazy Al Davis has become. I actually think it is more likely that Al wolud fall in love with DHB and reach for him.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:38 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jets signed Leonhard

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/03/leon...gns-with-jets/
Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Begin the chant. RE-CEI-VER! RE-CEI-VER! RE-CEI-VER!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Warpig
Rookie

Warpig hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What's the deal on Lowery? First they were high on him now he's riding pine. What's the scoop on Elam and Eric Smith too? Seems like Elam makes plays when he's in the lineup. I'm just trying to figure out the depth chart. Hopefully you Jets fans can enlighten me to the thoughts in New York on those players.

Oh! And what is the feeling on Brett Ratliff? Does he have a legit chance at the starting gig? From what I've seen and heard, he looked great in preseason (yeah...I know...preseason).
Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpig View Post
What's the deal on Lowery? First they were high on him now he's riding pine. What's the scoop on Elam and Eric Smith too? Seems like Elam makes plays when he's in the lineup. I'm just trying to figure out the depth chart. Hopefully you Jets fans can enlighten me to the thoughts in New York on those players.

Oh! And what is the feeling on Brett Ratliff? Does he have a legit chance at the starting gig? From what I've seen and heard, he looked great in preseason (yeah...I know...preseason).
Really, I think Ratliff has more of a chance to start than the other two.

Eric Smith is awful and Elam will make a nice back-up. I think Lowery got too hard of a time for being a rookie 4th rounder. I don't see why he can't be the nickel.

I'd like to see how much Jim Leonhard got though. Hopefully he decided to come to the Jets because of the Ryan/Scott influence more so than a fat contract. Saddening that we probably won't be drafting a Safety now, but oh well. Still might happen...
Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rex Ryan is really adding some good talent from his ravens ties. It really shows how much respect players have for him. When he first came over and everyone talked about the possibility of players from the Ravens coming over because of how much players love playing for Ryan, I thought it was overblown, now I really believe that Ryan is a guy that can lead without being too much of a hard ass.

If Ryan can get anything out of Gholston this year, I nominate him for messiah.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpig View Post

Elam is a free agent, Smith like Anthony Schliegal was one of Mangini's wastes of a third round pick and yes, Ratliff probably has a shot to be the starter. Lowry looked very good at times, but could (and was) upgraded over. Give him some time and I think he can be counted on as the answer for #2 starter. JMO though.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Oh wow. In case it ends up being false I won't say what I saw the terms of the contract might be, but if that's true, then it looks like we might still take a Safety after all...
Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's interesting. I can still dig taking a safety, Chip Vaughn could be a fantastic guy to develop some as opposed to more of a play now guy like Chung and Delmas and we wouldn't have to move up for him.

I'm ready for us to bring a wideout into play.

Also think they're just going to give everybody a shot to start at QB and let the best guy play.

Looks like we might not sign Ivy so Lowery would then get a shot to play nickel which I think he absolutely deserves.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow our secondary has studs and is really deep. I don't see a weakness. Leonhard and Rhodes are going to dominate back there (with Smith and Elam providing great depth). We all know Revis is the definition of shutdown and with Sheppard on the other side, QBs don't really have any one to pick on. I hope Lowery is given a shot to play nickle with Poteat, Coleman, and maybe a draft pick battling for playing time.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

I'm starting to worry that I'm setting myself up for disappointment in the draft. There was a time I would have been okay with a myriad of different positions in the first round such as a safety or inside linebacker, but as those positions were filled in free agency, suddenly I only want the Jets to draft a wide receiver in the first round.

:(
Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

its about that time I get back involved into the draft countdown....

Jim Leonhard- Great pick up and his value is unbelieveable. I cannot wait to see him in coverage and as stated before, really gives us depth at both safety positions and can now fully allow us to stop the deep pass. Also, allows us to now possibly send Kerry Rhodes in for a blitz like he used to do back in 06 when he was first emerging. Great move and cannot wait to see the little white boy rip sh!t up.

Bart Scott- The "Madbacker" is a perfect signing. Finally allows us to have two intimidating inside Linebackers and we can officially attack LB's with a blitz from both the outside as well as the inside. He is great in coverage and really adds a physical sense to this defense. And finally we have a bunch of criminals on this team rather then the typical "Tanginiables". A little tenacity never hurt and this boy will add that aswell as a pop in the team. I cannot wait to see him and David Harris in the middle. Going to really allow Calvin Pace to do some damage so that he wont have to cover every play and I cannot wait to see LB core go down.

Lito Sheppard- Great addition to the team. Pro-bowler is enough said on why he is a great addition. We all know that him and Sheldon Brown were once one of the scariest cornerback groups in the NFL and then they got Asante. So I cannot wait to see him up against Revis becuase they compliment eachother. Though Lito may give up the big play once in a while, Kerry can pick that up now that he has a safety alongside him. Great speed aswell as play making ability. For what the trade is worth, great value. Yes, a lot of you are complaining about the Conditional Pick, but if he can take this defense to be a top 5 defense in the NFL, ill give up a third or second for it. He is gonna be 28 very soon and still has tread on his tires. I think it was a trade that was well worth it and its going to be a great fit to move Lowery and Poteat to the third and fourth corner backs to make an extremely solid Nickel Defense.

Would love to see my jewish bretherine Igor Olshansky get signed because he is a big mamma jamma and played in the 3-4 in San Diego and I feel is a great fit. Big mean guy that can fill a great need for us and then allows a little more room for Gholston to grow into a situational pass rusher which I still this is in sight. While he didn't see a lot of playing time, he is only going to be 23/24 (not to sure which one), which is incredibly young and I think Rex Ryan is going to make this kid someone to be afraid of. All I can say is F#*K Tangiables, its all about the Rex in your play and ill be ecstatic with 7 sacks from Gholston this season.

Which takes me to the draft....

1. Its going to depend on what happens with Crabtree. If Crabtree falls, I think Maclin will feel the same value. I think if we have to trade up 3 or 4 picks to get Maclin, we should do it. If not I wouldn't mind trading back to draft Hakeem Nicks becuase I strongly believe he is the most NFL ready and may not put up blazing times or strength or anything like that but the boy can do one thing great, and thats play football. I wouldn't mind any of those picks.

2. If Sanchez is within reach, I'd consider trading up. He is the only guy in this draft (besides Stafford) that I would want for a QB. I think Josh Freeman is really big boom/bust potential and I think he is more of an athlete then a QB. While some people aren't so hot on the USC QB's, this guy has great arm strength, gets comfy in the pocket, and has solid touch. I think Stafford i the best QB, but if Sanchez is sitting at 11 or 12, i'd trade up because we gotta go somewhere and I don't feel a lot of people are ready to put all their eggs into the Kellen Clemens basket. Sanchez has played in the limelight and I think he can do it considering its that pro offense so I would strongly consider him if he is there. Also, there is a lot of depth at receiver in this draft I can see us going after Kenny Britt (speedy guy) or possibly trading back up for a guy like Hakeem Nicks, I wouldn't mind either of those moves. But if Sanchez is there, I think we gotta pull the trigger.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Good write up. You nailed everything with FA, and I also agree with you about the draft. I'm pretty much open for anything with the draft as long as a WR is taken with the 1st or 2nd pick. With that other pick I think we could focus on multiple positions and it would be okay.

RD1 -
As much as I would love taking DHB, I can't say I'd be mad with the following 2 players: Tyson Jackson DE or Mark Sanchez QB.

RD 2 -
This all depends on what we do with the first. If we don't take a WR with our first pick, then we have to get one here. I think we should trade up to take Hakeem Nicks or Kenny Britt. If we do go with a WR in RD 1 then I wouldn't mind any of these guys: Patrick Chung S, Darius Butler CB, William Moore S, Ron Brace NT, Nate Davis QB, or Jarron Gilbert DE.