Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,854
Reputation: 58084
Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Anyone who watched the team can tell you that Hill is easily better than JP right now.
True story.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:30 AM    (permalink
OneToughGame
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 739
Reputation: 4321
OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
True story.
Very true.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
too bad the Sea hawks are starting Hasselback and not Whitehorsest (sp)They are gonna loose any ways .
OneToughGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:17 AM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,104
Reputation: 436488
XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Peterson is also the best 4-3 OLB in the league while Redding is a barely above average DT. The Lions have gotten the better end of two trades in the past year, now, as opposed the 0 in the decade before that.

Peterson is the best pass rushing 4-3 OLB in the leage. Against the run he doesnt wrap up and is constantly out of position. His pass coverage is below average as well. I like him but he is way overrated, he made pro-bowls based on his sack total and nothing more.

Leroy Hill is a much better LB than Peterson is. Having Mebane, Cole, Redding and Bryant rotating at DT should free up Tatupu and Hill to make more plays like Tubbs did in 2005.
__________________
XxXdragonXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:10 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 4,655
Reputation: 731181
Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

he's worlds better than dizon, nece, and paris lenon. plus redding was a bit dinged last year and was pretty much exposed as a fraud for his contract. we gave up 2,754 yards rushing last year......172.1 per game. i know that not all of those were pitches to the outside. redding can be good though provided he's a complimentary piece to a talented defense.

32. Detroit 404.4 yards/game 2754 172.1 rushing per game 3716 232.3 passing per game 517 32.3 pts/game
__________________
SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:37 AM    (permalink
OneToughGame
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 739
Reputation: 4321
OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.OneToughGame is so money.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
he's worlds better than dizon, nece, and paris lenon. plus redding was a bit dinged last year and was pretty much exposed as a fraud for his contract. we gave up 2,754 yards rushing last year......172.1 per game. i know that not all of those were pitches to the outside. redding can be good though provided he's a complimentary piece to a talented defense.

32. Detroit 404.4 yards/game 2754 172.1 rushing per game 3716 232.3 passing per game 517 32.3 pts/game
I think he'll do well in the Seahawks defense.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
too bad the Sea hawks are starting Hasselback and not Whitehorsest (sp)They are gonna loose any ways .
OneToughGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:25 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 4,013
Reputation: 323867
abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

In this thread: Seahawks fans in denial. Face it, the highest the Lions have ranked in run defense since Redding was drafted was 15th and that was obviously because of Shaun Rogers because look what happened without him last year. The Lions had one of the worst run defenses in the history of the NFL last season. Redding is mediocre at best while Peterson is almost Pro Bowl caliber at worst.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 03-15-2009 at 08:59 AM.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,104
Reputation: 436488
XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
In this thread: Seahawks fans in denial. Face it, the highest the Lions have ranked in run defense since Redding was drafted was 15th and that was obviously because of Shaun Rogers because look what happened without him last year. The Lions had one of the worst run defenses in the history of the NFL last season. Redding is mediocre at best while Peterson is almost Pro Bowl caliber at worst.

Ive been saying Peterson is nothing but a pass rusher for a year now and that Hill is a better LBer. Peterson didnt deserve to be anywhere near the pro-bowl last year, he only had 5 sacks, and getting to the QB is all he does well. He had a great year in 2006, a good year in 2007 and a very mediocre year last year. He's turning 31 in July and this move saves us 4 mill in cap money this year. We got Redding and a 5th for a guy we were going to cut anyway.

Redding might not be all that great, but how can you really judge him with the "talent" he had around him in Detroit? He was the only guy on that line that commanded any sort of attention from opposing OL's. In Seattle he'll be rotating with Mebane, Cole and Bryant. He'll have Tatupu and Hill at LB and Kerney at DE.

Basically what the Lions just did was trade their only decent run stopper for a LBer that is terrible against the run. Unless something else is done, prepare to see an even worse run D for the Lions. They improved their pass rush though.
__________________
XxXdragonXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:40 PM    (permalink
lionsfan81
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 243
Reputation: 295
lionsfan81 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.lionsfan81 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX View Post
Redding might not be all that great, but how can you really judge him with the "talent" he had around him in Detroit? He was the only guy on that line that commanded any sort of attention from opposing OL's. In Seattle he'll be rotating with Mebane, Cole and Bryant. He'll have Tatupu and Hill at LB and Kerney at DE.

Basically what the Lions just did was trade their only decent run stopper for a LBer that is terrible against the run. Unless something else is done, prepare to see an even worse run D for the Lions. They improved their pass rush though.
Well with the "talent" Shaun Rogers had around him he would still dominate opponents, something Redding didn't do except one season. Redding was average every season but 1 when he took over for an injured Rogers and got 8 sacks and a fat contract. Then he went back to an average player, but now is overpaid. If you really think he's an answer at DT you're very wrong. He could be a great 3-4 DE if you ask me though.

But only decent run stopper? I hope you weren't talking about Redding because that is not what he's good at. He can penetrate up into the backfield, but easily gets washed out of plays and misses tackles in the backfield.

And don't you find it a big odd that one of the worst defenses in the NFL on the worst team in NFL History would trade away the only defensive line player who commands attention as you say?? Clearly he was someone we were looking to get rid of and upgrade as he was one of the reasons for us giving up huge rushing yardage.
lionsfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,320
Reputation: 950956
Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsfan81 View Post
And don't you find it a big odd that one of the worst defenses in the NFL on the worst team in NFL History would trade away the only defensive line player who commands attention as you say??
I know, its wierd. But they still traded him. And now, Shaun Rogers is a Cleveland Brown.


:D
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:58 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,039
Reputation: 114301
PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughGame View Post
I think he'll do well in the Seahawks defense.
Ok, but he isn't exactly the typical 4-3 DT. He is on the light side and isn't really good vs. the run. Plus his contract would make it hard for you guys to have him as a rotation player.
__________________
PACKmanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 12,091
Reputation: 180444
thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
Ok, but he isn't exactly the typical 4-3 DT. He is on the light side and isn't really good vs. the run. Plus his contract would make it hard for you guys to have him as a rotation player.
I believe they restructured his contract. But in any case, this could give them some versatility, possibly playing him inside as well as outside, and even as a 3-4 DE in their nickel set. Who really knows.
__________________
Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Sonics
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:14 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,104
Reputation: 436488
XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsfan81 View Post
Well with the "talent" Shaun Rogers had around him he would still dominate opponents, something Redding didn't do except one season. Redding was average every season but 1 when he took over for an injured Rogers and got 8 sacks and a fat contract. Then he went back to an average player, but now is overpaid. If you really think he's an answer at DT you're very wrong. He could be a great 3-4 DE if you ask me though.

But only decent run stopper? I hope you weren't talking about Redding because that is not what he's good at. He can penetrate up into the backfield, but easily gets washed out of plays and misses tackles in the backfield.

And don't you find it a big odd that one of the worst defenses in the NFL on the worst team in NFL History would trade away the only defensive line player who commands attention as you say?? Clearly he was someone we were looking to get rid of and upgrade as he was one of the reasons for us giving up huge rushing yardage.

I didnt say Redding was great vs the run, I said decent, but he's better than anything else the Lions have currently. From everything Ive seen and read, he was the guy getting double teamed last year. He's more of a replacement for Rocky Bernard, a pass rushing DT who is "decent" vs the run. Decent being not terrible but not amazing either. All of the Lions DTs are undersized, IMO what Redding needs is someone beside him that will take the double teams and free him up to make plays. He will have that in Seattle.


This isnt a blockbuster deal for either team. The Lions are probably looking to pick up fatty to play NT and decided to unload Redding's contract and have Cody take his place. The Seahawks were looking to unload Peterson's contract and his poor play against the run and picked up a decent player to fill out their 4 man DT rotation, plus a draft pick. Peterson will likely be replaced by D.D. Lewis. Lewis was a starter on the Seahawks 2005 superbowl defense and did a good job in spot duty last year.
__________________

Last edited by XxXdragonXxX : 03-15-2009 at 05:21 PM.
XxXdragonXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:24 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MetLife, Clink x4, MetLife
Posts: 12,069
Reputation: 1519571
gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
In this thread: Seahawks fans in denial. Face it, the highest the Lions have ranked in run defense since Redding was drafted was 15th and that was obviously because of Shaun Rogers because look what happened without him last year. The Lions had one of the worst run defenses in the history of the NFL last season. Redding is mediocre at best while Peterson is almost Pro Bowl caliber at worst.
Watch games. Seahawks fans are in denial about what? They've been whining about JP all season and speculating him being released all offseason. He's not a bad player, but he's by no means the player he's thought of right now. Everyone's bringing up "oh Cory Redding sucks because the Lions defense sucked." Did you see Seattle's D last year? lol. And I don't even care about Redding. He's just icing on the cake. This move is a good one if it's JP for a 5th straight up.

The Pro Bowl is a joke. The phrase "pro bowl-caliber" means nothing because the pro bowl is a popularity and reputation contest.

Peterson was going to be cut. Instead, they got a 5th and a player (Redding re-structured) for him. And the move saved them $4.6 mil in cap space now and took away an expensive aging contract for the future. There's no debate- that's a great move any way you look at it.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,012
Reputation: 1096
Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.
Default

Seahags got fleeced lol.
__________________
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:59 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 4,013
Reputation: 323867
abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX View Post
I didnt say Redding was great vs the run, I said decent, but he's better than anything else the Lions have currently.
And being the best run stopper on the Lions is like being the coolest person at an anime convention, it isn't much of an accomplishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc
Watch games. Seahawks fans are in denial about what? They've been whining about JP all season and speculating him being released all offseason. He's not a bad player, but he's by no means the player he's thought of right now. Everyone's bringing up "oh Cory Redding sucks because the Lions defense sucked." Did you see Seattle's D last year? lol. And I don't even care about Redding. He's just icing on the cake. This move is a good one if it's JP for a 5th straight up.

The Pro Bowl is a joke. The phrase "pro bowl-caliber" means nothing because the pro bowl is a popularity and reputation contest.
I have watched plenty of Seahawks games over the past 3 years, at least 15 or so full games, and before that I watched every one of Peterson's games as a 49ers. He is much better than you give him credit for, especially against the pass. For his entire career he has been one of the best, if not the best, coverage linebacker in the league and one of the best pass rushing linebackers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc
Peterson was going to be cut. Instead, they got a 5th and a player (Redding re-structured) for him. And the move saved them $4.6 mil in cap space now and took away an expensive aging contract for the future. There's no debate- that's a great move any way you look at it.
Everyone is acting like Redding is some young guy with loads of potential or something. He isn't. He is only two years younger than Peterson and we have already seen him at his best and he wasn't even that great.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MetLife, Clink x4, MetLife
Posts: 12,069
Reputation: 1519571
gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
And being the best run stopper on the Lions is like being the coolest person at an anime convention, it isn't much of an accomplishment.



I have watched plenty of Seahawks games over the past 3 years, at least 15 or so full games, and before that I watched every one of Peterson's games as a 49ers. He is much better than you give him credit for, especially against the pass. For his entire career he has been one of the best, if not the best, coverage linebacker in the league and one of the best pass rushing linebackers.



Everyone is acting like Redding is some young guy with loads of potential or something. He isn't. He is only two years younger than Peterson and we have already seen him at his best and he wasn't even that great.
A 28-year old down lineman is completely different than a 30-year old outside LB who relies heavily on his athleticism. Some DL can play into their late 30s and not lose much whereas athletic LBs will lose speed and decline more drastically quickly. I'll admit I don't really have huge hopes for Redding, nor do I know what type of player he'll be.

Peterson's decline began slowly in 2007. In 2008 it started to really show. It will continue. This is inevitable. He was a GREAT player for the Niners and Seahawks. Now he's a declining OLB who will add a quality pass rusher but be a liability against the run. Still, is he better than any other options at SLB for the Lions? Absolutely.

Everyone wants to declare a winner with each trade- and time will ultimately tell. But I think, in this deal, both teams benefited. Neither got fleeced, and neither won. Seems like a good deal for both teams...
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:22 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 249
Reputation: 1238
I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.
Default

I think it's more addition by subtraction for both teams.
I KNOW IT ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.