Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
I really like the Peterson signing plus it got rid of Cory Redding ... He was just avg imo and for the top 5 DT $ he was gettting paid he needed to dominate. Just proof of another Millen mistake the new regime is being forced to deal with and get rid of to build a solid foundation.

This Culter thing will not go away ... we'll see this week if he reports to Denver for workouts. Since Curry likely will not be our #1 what if McDaniels wants Stafford as his new pet project so we draft him and trade for Cutler, swap our #2's and we get Rey Maulauluga with Denver's #12 pick?

That would be sick, Cutler as the Pro Bowl QB (only 25 yrs old!) and SLB Peterson, MLB Maulauluga, WLB Sims as the core of the D ... whoa, that is an upgrade!
Does anbody else feel like McDaniels type of QB would be more of an accuracy/good decision guy more so then a gun slinger? I think this is where he'd rather have Cassell than Cutler and, IMO, he might rate Sanchez and Bradford higher than Cutler because he's a better system fit.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanchez isn't a great decision maker. I think people believe that notion because he doesn't do anything else really great, except play for USC.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Who cares, you take the guy who you think is going to have the largest impact.

I'd do that, you don't get the chance to add an elite passer, and pass protector that often. Jerry isn't that young either, and will not be the impact player that someone like Smith or Oher could be.

Guys need to stop worrying about trying to plug needs on an 0-16 team, and just get the biggest impact players available at any position that isn't Calvin Johnson.

There will be other guys like Jerry every draft, you will have a shot at a top 5 type OT prospect at 20, either of these guys could be at the top of draft boards in a draft with less OT talent.
Great point.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Backus is better than any LT picked at 20 or after at least in 2009. Probably not 2010 and beyond but 2009 definitley. Rookie versus a guy with 100 starts. LG this year, LT next year, QB with Stafford and sit Stafford in 2009. No way we are good in 2009 no matter who we take number 1, so we need the QB of the future. Pick 20,33,65 and 82 should be BPA at defense or guard. Most likely defense.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
Backus is better than any LT picked at 20 or after at least in 2009. Probably not 2010 and beyond but 2009 definitley. Rookie versus a guy with 100 starts. LG this year, LT next year, QB with Stafford and sit Stafford in 2009. No way we are good in 2009 no matter who we take number 1, so we need the QB of the future. Pick 20,33,65 and 82 should be BPA at defense or guard. Most likely defense.
I disagree, in the past there have been impact rookies at LT that were picked after #20. Off the top of my head there was Marcus McNeil, Tony Ugoh, and Sam Baker(though Baker was injured for part of the year). IMO, there is a chance that an impact LT will be available at #20 based on the depth of this years class of LT following last yrs deep class.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

next year will have trent williams, russell okung, and whatever jason smith 2.0 jumps out from behind the bushes. it's getting to be as bad as running backs.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick View Post
I disagree, in the past there have been impact rookies at LT that were picked after #20. Off the top of my head there was Marcus McNeil, Tony Ugoh, and Sam Baker(though Baker was injured for part of the year). IMO, there is a chance that an impact LT will be available at #20 based on the depth of this years class of LT following last yrs deep class.
There are more hits than misses in the 20-60 range or those players play Right Tackle. Pick 20-Pick 35, we probably won't find anyone better than Backus for the 2009 season. We would get a more impactful defender, and we really really need defense especially if we go Stafford with pick 1.

Sam Baker-maybe better than Backus, injury and Matt Ryan
Duane Brown-not better IMO
Joe Staley-Niners gave up more sacks, will be better but not as a rookie, played RT as a rookie
Tony Ugoh-better than Backus, but with Peyton Manning quick release and command of O who knows.
Winston Justice-no
Jeremy Trueblood-no Right Tackle
Charles Spencer-no, now a guard
Eric Winston- Right Tackle,no
Michael Roos-yes but Titans struggled early during rebuilding
Khalif Barnes-yes
Marcus McNeil-yes, after 60 very rare
Vernon Carey-Right Tackle, 1-15 as left tackle
Jacob Rogers-no
George Foster(pick 20)- no, Right Tackle, former Lion
Kwame Harris-no
Jon Stinccomb-no, Right Tackle
Marc Colombo-no Right Tackle
Mike Pearson-no
Chester Pitts-no
Langston Walker-RT
Maurice Williams-no, now a guard
Matt Light-yes
Stockare McDougle-pick 20, no Right Tackle, former Lionn
Chris McIntosh-no
Marvel Smith-yes
Chad Clifton-yes
Adrian Klemm-no
Todd Wade-no, Right Tackle now
LJ Shelton-no
Aaron Gibson-no, pick 27, former Lion
Chris Terry-no
Jon Jansen-yes but a Right Tackle
Mo Collins-no
Victor Riley-no
Anthony Clement-no, now a Right Tackle
Todd Weiner-no, Right Tackle
Ross Verba-no, good guard with GB
Juan Roque-no, moved to guard, former Lion
Adam Meadows-no
Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
There are more hits than misses in the 20-60 range or those players play Right Tackle. Pick 20-Pick 35, we probably won't find anyone better than Backus for the 2009 season. We would get a more impactful defender, and we really really need defense especially if we go Stafford with pick 1.

Sam Baker-maybe better than Backus, injury and Matt Ryan
Duane Brown-not better IMO
Joe Staley-Niners gave up more sacks, will be better but not as a rookie, played RT as a rookie
Tony Ugoh-better than Backus, but with Peyton Manning quick release and command of O who knows.
Winston Justice-no
Jeremy Trueblood-no Right Tackle
Charles Spencer-no, now a guard
Eric Winston- Right Tackle,no
Michael Roos-yes but Titans struggled early during rebuilding
Khalif Barnes-yes
Marcus McNeil-yes, after 60 very rare
Vernon Carey-Right Tackle, 1-15 as left tackle
Jacob Rogers-no
George Foster(pick 20)- no, Right Tackle, former Lion
Kwame Harris-no
Jon Stinccomb-no, Right Tackle
Marc Colombo-no Right Tackle
Mike Pearson-no
Chester Pitts-no
Langston Walker-RT
Maurice Williams-no, now a guard
Matt Light-yes
Stockare McDougle-pick 20, no Right Tackle, former Lionn
Chris McIntosh-no
Marvel Smith-yes
Chad Clifton-yes
Adrian Klemm-no
Todd Wade-no, Right Tackle now
LJ Shelton-no
Aaron Gibson-no, pick 27, former Lion
Chris Terry-no
Jon Jansen-yes but a Right Tackle
Mo Collins-no
Victor Riley-no
Anthony Clement-no, now a Right Tackle
Todd Weiner-no, Right Tackle
Ross Verba-no, good guard with GB
Juan Roque-no, moved to guard, former Lion
Adam Meadows-no
Great research, though I would argue that a lot of these guys were not drafted as LTs. My point was simply that there is a chance, though it might be slight, that if we drafted a LT at #20 or #33 that they'd be better than Backus. IMO, if Oher is available at 20 then he'd be an upgrade over Backus at LT. Others would argue that Andre Smith, Britton, and Beatty would all be upgrades.

I guess the true argument for this scenario will have to wait until draft day to see who is available.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick View Post
Great research, though I would argue that a lot of these guys were not drafted as LTs. My point was simply that there is a chance, though it might be slight, that if we drafted a LT at #20 or #33 that they'd be better than Backus. IMO, if Oher is available at 20 then he'd be an upgrade over Backus at LT. Others would argue that Andre Smith, Britton, and Beatty would all be upgrades.

I guess the true argument for this scenario will have to wait until draft day to see who is available.
I'd say Andre Smith would be the only one that has a chance in 2009 but that guy has a bunch of other issues. Just my hunch though. I think Smith will be gone by 20, but as you said we'll see on draft day. Britton is a Right Tackle. Beatty and Oher overtime should be better than Backus, but I just see Backus being better in 2009. Nothing will really help if Stafford is sitting the bench because Culpepper and his slow release won't be doing our Left Tackle any favors.

Backus isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He's average. And even if we take a stud LT, Backus would probably be our LG starting. So if he's a problem we still won't get rid of him. He's not great but not terrible IMO. Bull rush gets him and he hasn't been consistent recently, but the guy has 100 starts in a row for a reason and the new staff said they liked him. I can take one more year of him. Of course, I want a stud defender in 2010 too though, so then again we will have take Oline sometime.

I just really want an impact defender. If we take a LT at 20, maybe we could trade Backus for some sort of defender since its already a total rebuild.