Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-14-2009, 11:09 AM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

im also hearing rumors about us possibly picking up samari rolle because he recently asked for baltimore to release him but he would be our nickel back so idk if he would wanna do that and idk if we would wanna pay him good money

also barton signed back with mangini
Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvilma51 View Post
im also hearing rumors about us possibly picking up samari rolle because he recently asked for baltimore to release him but he would be our nickel back so idk if he would wanna do that and idk if we would wanna pay him good money

also barton signed back with mangini
I don't get why all these guys keep following Mangini to the Browns. It seemed like the team didn't really like him. Is it more because these guys don't have other offers or perhaps because the reports that the majority of the team disliking Mangini were overstated?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I don't get why all these guys keep following Mangini to the Browns. It seemed like the team didn't really like him. Is it more because these guys don't have other offers or perhaps because the reports that the majority of the team disliking Mangini were overstated?
I'd say it was a little of both. For instance, Jenkins seemed like he really liked Mangini in an interview I read. Probably one of the anonymous team sources (Coles? Baker?) that ******* and moaned a lot made Mangini seem worse than he was.

Still happy with Ryan though, and it doesn't seem Mangini is making friends with everyone there (Rodgers). The big difference between the guys following Mangini and the guys following Rex is that the guys following Mangini are considerably lower quality than a few of the ex-Ravens we've brought in. Because of that, the mediocre free agents he's bringing in have a much better opportunity to start in Cleveland than they would elsewhere, IMO, which has to be an appeal for them.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:16 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I'd say it was a little of both. For instance, Jenkins seemed like he really liked Mangini in an interview I read. Probably one of the anonymous team sources (Coles? Baker?) that ******* and moaned a lot made Mangini seem worse than he was.

Still happy with Ryan though, and it doesn't seem Mangini is making friends with everyone there (Rodgers). The big difference between the guys following Mangini and the guys following Rex is that the guys following Mangini are considerably lower quality than a few of the ex-Ravens we've brought in. Because of that, the mediocre free agents he's bringing in have a much better opportunity to start in Cleveland than they would elsewhere, IMO, which has to be an appeal for them.
Just to clear it up, I was by no means suggesting that I want Mangini back or that I am disappointed with Rex's job in free agency. I am just surprised that actually decent/good players like Moseley and Barton would follow mangini. Poteat and Bowens make complete sense because they are fringe players who know they have found their niche with mangini.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Just to clear it up, I was by no means suggesting that I want Mangini back or that I am disappointed with Rex's job in free agency. I am just surprised that actually decent/good players like Moseley and Barton would follow mangini. Poteat and Bowens make complete sense because they are fringe players who know they have found their niche with mangini.
I think its money, familiarity with the system and opporunity for more playing time that is bringing them to Cleveland. Not having to learn a system when going to a new team is a big help because a guy can compete right away.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I figured. What I meant to say is what jmess said only I think he may have said it a little more clearly. I do think Mangini was liked a little better than we think also, I just wanted it to be clear that when I said in my previous post that I wasn't implying that I want him back.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:53 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I was just looking at Glenn Dorsey and Chris Long's statistics and I was wondering why everyone thinks of Gholston as a bust but not those two? And I know I never saw anything good out of either of them when I saw them play, and I'd have my doubts that they freed up anyone else since no one around them really put up the stats. So that was just interesting to me. IMO, I'd feel as though the person that saw extensive playing time and didn't produce would be more of a "bust" than the person riding the bench behind the vets. It'd be like bashing the QB that sat behind a vet all season. Can't blame him for having capable starters higher on the depth chart. That's how I see it anyway.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:00 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I don't even recall him being on the field last year. He has been criticized all this year for being lazy, having a bad work effort, and not giving it 100%, much of what I have heard has been well deserved.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
I don't even recall him being on the field last year. He has been criticized all this year for being lazy, having a bad work effort, and not giving it 100%, much of what I have heard has been well deserved.
That first part there sort of goes in with what I said, but as for being lazy and bad work ethic, can you show me where you saw this? All I've heard was that he's been working hard and just was having a difficult time grasping all of the responsibilities that were required of him and making the transition to OLB.

Oh and looking elsewhere... I found it interesting that a good deal of Jets fans are calling for DHB, Britt, or Tyson Jackson. I guess I just always go against the grain...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:41 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
That first part there sort of goes in with what I said, but as for being lazy and bad work ethic, can you show me where you saw this? All I've heard was that he's been working hard and just was having a difficult time grasping all of the responsibilities that were required of him and making the transition to OLB.

Oh and looking elsewhere... I found it interesting that a good deal of Jets fans are calling for DHB, Britt, or Tyson Jackson. I guess I just always go against the grain...
That's most of what I've seen also, I hope it's true at least. I think we're all interested to see what he's going to be able to do with new coaching and a new scheme. Hopefully he can more than salvage his career.

And a lot are calling for Nicks as well...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post

I'm not sure that I heard that either. I think it was more of Mangini's not liking what he saw in practice and not thinking Gholston was ready to be on the field. Regardless of that, I still saw no reason they couldnt have put him in on DE on passing situations more than the hand full of times they did last year. I thought it was another case of Mangini's stubborn philosophy coming back to bite him/us.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

What are everyone's thoughts on perhaps moving up or down this year to grab someone we're looking at? After all of the needs we've filled in free agency, I'd be fine with moving up, but with the serious need for some depth/youth in a lot of areas I'd be more than alright with moving down also. Everything that we've done seems to have us set up to well to move up, though, and without too many needs I wonder if we do.

Moving up with just our second rounder gives us 1330 points (950+380) via the old trading chart. That pick can move us to somewhere between 9 (1350) and 10 (1300) on the chart, not exactly sure how much it's used that way anymore though. If we're looking for a QB or a WR that can get us ahead of the 49ers to grab somebody. Our third rounder would give us a total of 1160 (950+210) getting us just a little more than we would need to get to 13 (1150) but not quite enough for 12 (1200). That moves us ahead of the Texans for a WR maybe but I'm not sure they go in that direction so I don't see much of a point in that unless somebody falls that other teams are going after. And for fun if we go all in with both of those picks we can get up between 6 and 7, but probably land around 7. Doubt we want to be stuck with that kind of contract though.

Moving up with our second and our third would get us up a decent amount. Our second and third added together give us 590 points, exactly the same value as pick #32. So if we happened to go QB early we could get our WR in the late first depending on who we wanted. Perhaps Britt or Nicks would be around, Maclin would probably be long gone as would Heyward-Bey. Maybe Harvin if we're looking for speed but I'm unsure on him. The second and the fourth only gets us to 45, so could work if we're making a move for a guy like Jarron Gilbert but I'm not sure any WR there would be worth that.

On the flip side, moving down is another option obviously. To pick up just a third we could move down to 21 or 22, with 21 and Philly's third being worth a little more than our pick and 22 and Minny's third being with a little less. To grab a second we'd have to move a little farther, to around the Giants selection at 29. Philly at 28 is another option but they don't have a second in that range.

Sorry for going a little nuts there, and I know it's really simplistic, but just something to think about in the case we end up doing some moving and shaking come draft day.

Is it also pretty clear to everyone that we're probably going to have to end up ignoring either QB or WR unless we make some sort of move to get back into the end of the first round, or perhaps the early second (which seems unlikely though we have done it before)? Does anybody see a way that we can realistically address both positions well, or are we probably just going to go with the youngsters in one spot or another?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have no problem trading up at all. Getting Sanchez at 17, then trading back into round 1 later for a WR would be my dream scenario

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...d_private.html

Oh boy.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Well hopefully if he's talking about us looking at CB and LB that he's also overstating their interest in Freeman.

...Hopefully. :(
Old 03-15-2009, 03:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Well hopefully if he's talking about us looking at CB and LB that he's also overstating their interest in Freeman.

That's what I'm hoping. Crickett's post and yours summed up my feelings very nicely.

Either of you guys have thoughts on us moving up/down?
Old 03-15-2009, 04:01 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:

Keep in mind the Jets may be overstating their interest in Freeman. Don;t forget clubs intentionally give out bad signals leading up to the draft. I think its best to pay no mind to most of that stuff as we can't decipher whats real until draft day.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
Keep in mind the Jets may be overstating their interest in Freeman. Don;t forget clubs intentionally give out bad signals leading up to the draft. I think its best to pay no mind to most of that stuff as we can't decipher whats real until draft day.
True, but when there's even a slight chance of Josh Freeman on our team, there's a problem.

As for trading up and down... I'm fine with either. I'd only want to trade up if it was for Sanchez, and only if it was outside the first nine picks. If we were to trade down, well, obviously a WR. I don't know why, but I don't particularly like the history of our pick.

Of course, it bothers me that I see so many potential busts as first rounders in this draft, so part of me just would like us to trade out of the first altogether.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:01 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

This guy seems like a tool to me, so it's cool to see how Ryan reacts with him. He seems like such a genuine person.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

More Cutler stuff...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11919325

sounds like he is either angling for a contract or a trade
Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Just read elsewhere that Rex is real interested in Marques Murrell, a guy I believe is currently on our practice squad, I'm assuming using him as a pass rusher. I think Mangini tried to use him as an ILB, but not sure. In any case, I think it'd make sense to put him at OLB. But ANYWAYS, I decided to look up some stuff about him and he actually put up gaudy stats (D1-AA, but still) and was actually the more touted prospect on App State of the DE tandem he created with Jason Hunter (which is a guy I liked back in the... I think '05 draft). And I guess his brother played for us back in the day so he might have a real tie to the time. Here's some info on him:

Quote:
An incredibly productive player with good blood lines: brother, Adrian, played 10 seasons in the NFL with the New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals, Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys. Murrell was: a candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award given to the top defensive player in NCAA Division I-AA football, a 2006 1-AA All-America Team, named to first-team All-America selection by The Sports Network and ranks among ASU’s all-time leaders with 55 career sacks, 59 tackles for loss and 18 forced fumbles proving that last year’s All-America campaign was not entirely the result of playing opposite another All-America defensive end in Jason Hunter. Also the first player in ASU’s long line of standout defensive linemen to lead the squad in sacks three-straight seasons adding 15 pounds to his six-foot-two frame in the offseaon combining speed and power to frustrate offensive tackles and get to the quarterback or ball carrier.
2005: Consensus first-team All-American, first-team all-Southern Conference selection, placed ninth in voting for Buck Buchanan Award, and led the SoCon in sacks (13) and tackles for loss (26.5)tied with teammate Jason Hunter for ASU single-season sack record.
Murre llwas one of just three players to rank among the top 10 nationally in sacks (13; t-9th), tackles for loss (26.5; 5th) and forced fumbles (7; 3rd)and led Mountaineers in forced fumbles (7), quarterback hurries (8) and fumble recoveries, he even came up with perhaps the biggest play in Mountaineer history when he stripped Northern Iowa quarterback Eric Sanders of the ball in the fourth quarter of the 2005 national championship game, Hunter scooped up the fumble for what turned out to be the winning touchdown of the Apps’ 21-16 triumph had eight tackles, 3.5 for loss, 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and two QB hurries in the triumph over EKU and seven tackles, 2.5 for loss and a sack in 30-3 rout of nationally ranked Coastal Carolina all three of his tackles at The Citadel were behind the line of scrimmage (including two sacks) also returned a fumble 89 yards for a touchdown versus the Bulldogs, en route to SoCon Defensive Player of the Week accolades he was named I-AA.org National Weekly All-Star for efforts in title game.
2004: Earned first-team all-SoCon honors from the league’s media and second-team plaudits from the coaches and led the conference with 7.0 sacks and ranked third in the league with 12.5 tackles for loss on the season recorded at least one stop behind the line of scrimmage in eight of 11 games and turned in his best stretch of the season versus three-straight top-five opponents, combining for 19 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss and three sacks in wins over No. 2 Furman and No. 5 Wofford and had a sack, forced fumble and two quarterback hurries in thrilling 30-29 triumph over No. 2 Furman in his best performance he recorded a career-high 2.5 TFL and forced a fumble in 38-17 rout over Wofford.
2003: Played in all 11 games, mostly on special teams posting12 tackles, including four for loss with 1.5 sacks as well as a forced a fumble against Chattanooga and had his first quarterback sack versus Hawaii.
And a video:

Might just be a case of Mangini using another guy improperly. Might just be that we have the next James Harrison on our hands...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:42 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Speaking of random dudes on the team, a guy I liked last year when he played in one of the last gamed of the season, was Jason Trusnik. He always seemed to be near the ball and stopping guys just short of where they needed to get.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:49 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
And I guess his brother played for us back in the day so he might have a real tie to the time. Here's some info on him:

Hey..."back in the day" wasn't that long ago..lol...his brother did have 2 1,000 yard seasons and is the guy Curtis replaced at tailback.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

So I had this horrible dream. We somehow traded up to the second overall pick. Everyone was pumped and for some reason I thought we were taking Curry, but anyway the selection came in and we took... Brandon Tate. We weren't at Radio City Music Hall though, we were in some library/grocery store where apparently a lot of the draft picks were. Everyone was laughing and Tate who was there stormed out crying. He was complaining about how this was going to be his legacy and everyone was going to be bashing him (the guy looked more like Ty Lawson though). Then it cut to his coach peeing on a statue (but it wasn't his coach, it was Heihachi) talking about all the rigors he put his players through at 6 am, but then he slipped and hit his head on the stairs. Then it cut to a promo for Tekken 6. And then I woke up.

...So now I'm all worried. :(