Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to update, from what I can find, the Pats would be able to fit Peppers under the cap, not long ago I did a pretty big break down of the projected contract numbers of what the Panthers would've offered Peppers. It rounded out to somewhere between 8 and 11 mill per year if he was paid higher than Jared Allen was by Minnesota.

NE is currently, somewhere around about 25 million under the cap and will likely need about 5 million in the war chest for the mid year injury FA pick ups and around another 10 mill or so to sign all their draft picks, one first and three seconds is an expensive prospect.

That would leave about 10 million to play with which may or may not be enough considering they have some high ranking team members they ought to resign.

More and more I look into this trade rumor, I can't see it happening any time soon.

That being said there has been an update to the situation:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal..._peppers_talk/ is reporting:

Quote:
A league source confirmed the Patriots' interest in Peppers but could not confirm details of a possible deal. Efforts to reach Peppers's agent, Carl Carey, were unsuccessful.
In other words, someone with in an NFL mail room said he heard something or the patriots GM said he didn't want to be directly quoted. Take it with a grain of salt

Last edited by BlindSite : 03-17-2009 at 09:09 AM.
BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Just to update, from what I can find, the Pats would be able to fit Peppers under the cap, not long ago I did a pretty big break down of the projected contract numbers of what the Panthers would've offered Peppers. It rounded out to somewhere between 8 and 11 mill per year if he was paid higher than Jared Allen was by Minnesota.

NE is currently, somewhere around about 25 million under the cap and will likely need about 5 million in the war chest for the mid year injury FA pick ups and around another 10 mill or so to sign all their draft picks, one first and three seconds is an expensive prospect.

That would leave about 10 million to play with which may or may not be enough considering they have some high ranking team members they ought to resign.

More and more I look into this trade rumor, I can't see it happening any time soon.
That is true, but if the trade were to go down for just #34 overall, then they would have only 2 2nd round picks, and would have gotten rid of the highest of the 3, so that would save some money.

I don't see this going down anytime soon (assuming it does), could very well drag out to draft day, if it happens at all.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carucci reporting it will happen, Schefter reporting it won't happen.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
Carucci reporting it will happen, Schefter reporting it won't happen.
I would tend to believe Schefter over Carucci.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
No he doesn't. Peppers can drop back and cover, Osi cannot do this. They're completely different beasts athletically.
Didn't say they weren't. Peppers is an all time athlete. One of the best in the history of the game. I would still take Osi to be a linebacker.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its going down, ESPN is reporting it, if they just spread rumors and BS idk what to believe :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:25 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like the Patriots and Peppers are defiantly talking. I find it hard to believe that the Panthers aren't in on it at least a bit as well, even if they aren't supposed to be.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

they can't 'talk' until he signs the tender, i thought.
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Per Schefter, 99.9% chance Peppers doesn't end up in New England, but called Jason Taylor to the Patriots "realistic" (which also makes much more sense from a financial perspective and considering Belichick loves Jason Taylor and he's a close friend of Tom Brady.) Additionally, New England likes to pick up players who have played well against them in the past. Jason Taylor played better against New England than pretty much anyone on defense during his time in Miami.

Also, just a note on Peppers - he can negotiate with anyone, but Carolina can't talk to New England until Peppers signs.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

oh ok. so right now the agent is doing the talking and carolina is doing nothing sorta
Quote:
Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Can't think that the Panthers are ignorant of the possibility and haven't at least put out a signal.

I don't know about this one. If you look at it from a "is this actually going to happen" perspective, there's compelling arguments either way. If we end up working something out with Peppers contractually, I can't see us not ending up with him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carolina is denying it because they're in violation of league rules if they don't deny it...

The Panthers typically do a great job of holding their cards tight to their chest. Not much ever leaks out of that front office.
________
Sexy_Goddess4Uxx

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 08:11 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Report on Yahoo! sports that New England is in face the one AFC team that Peppers had listed when he gave his 4 teams he would want to be traded to. Kind of assumed at this point, but just saw it and figured I'd throw it out there.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Last edited by Bigburt63 : 03-17-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Bigburt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why do people think Peppers can't cover? Everytime I've ever seen him drop back, he looked so fluid and natural, it was scary.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Why do people think Peppers can't cover? Everytime I've ever seen him drop back, he looked so fluid and natural, it was scary.
Lack of time watching him play, nearly everyone saying that are fans of an AFC team. Carolina get very little if any prime time exposure and usually have the early game.

Updates:

Adam Schefter:
Source: http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...er_99_per.html
Important bit:
Quote:
"That trade is not gonna happen. ... Julius Peppers will not be a New England Patriot next season," Schefter said on Boston sports radio station WEEI this morning
When asked how sure he was that Peppers would not be with the Patriots next year, he answered "99.9 percent sure".
List update, which is apparently news to the rest of the NFL, although I've been saying it for months which is that there's two teams on his list he'd want to play for in the Dallas Cowboys (who don't have a lot of picks) and the New England Patriots who're known and 2 unknown NFC teams.

Clayton also denies the trade rumor:
Link http://community.nesn.com/blogs/nesn...7/3734320.aspx

Important bit
Quote:
"If you believe the Panthers will trade franchise defensive end Julius Peppers to the Patriots for just the 34th pick in the 2009 draft, you probably buy the idea that the Dow Jones will be back at 11,000 by the end of the week," Clayton wrote.
Clayton said that while the Patriots may have been in discussions with Peppers and his agent, they have not contacted the Panthers.
"Just call this the first stage of what might be a game between the Patriots and Panthers that could play out over the next month," Clayton said.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote