Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clayton struggles terribly in pass pro and special teams, something that Scotty Mac wants out of one guy, not the combo of Clayton and Robinson.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:11 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Nor do I because I dont have a TV, so ha!
Touché, touché.

-------

Someone mentioned a page or so back about how much impact Sing and Scotty would have on the draft/player selection. There's a good piece here on differences in scouting philosophy and the relationship between coaches and scouts in the Walsh/Modern eras.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

1. mark sanchez / michael crabtree / michael oher
this better be the only 3 guys sitting there that sf is thinking about.
e.brown looks short but he could be alright just don't know since p.haralson plays his spot
orakapo won't be there
a.smith looks sluggish
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandwagonPunditry
Someone mentioned a page or so back about how much impact Sing and Scotty would have on the draft/player selection. There's a good piece here on differences in scouting philosophy and the relationship between coaches and scouts in the Walsh/Modern eras.
I just read that article as it was linked on PFT. It's a good article and the 49ers signed WR Brandon Jones without the imput of the coaches.

Personally, I prefer the way Walsh had everything setup but thats just me.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This was on the Maiocco blog and when I read it my first reaction was "for ****'s sake let it be true!" haha

Quote:
Q: What options do the 49ers have if they wait until the middle rounds - 3, 4 or 5 - to get a quarterback to develop?

Rang: The one I like that I think is kind of a hidden gem is Stephen McGee from Texas A&M. (Former Packers coach Mike Sherman, currently at Texas A&M) and (49ers GM) Scot McCloughan have their history together.
My brain might explode from homerism if they take McGee. Doubly, if they also snag Goodson, who's coming in for a visit.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:33 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

who has sf visited with & planning on meeting with prior to draft?
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
who has sf visited with & planning on meeting with prior to draft?
From what I can find, the following have/will visit:

Michael Oher
BJ Raji
Michael Crabtree
Arian Foster
Rey Maualuga
Josh Freeman
Mark Sanchez
Gregory Toler
Larry English
Brandon Gibson
Mike Goodson

That's all I could see.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

mac25fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You can add Don Carey CB to that list.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...%20and%20Q%26A
mac25fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac25fan View Post
You can add Don Carey CB to that list.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...%20and%20Q%26A
That also says Kory Sheets is coming in, too.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is who I've read...

Mark Sanchez - QB - USC
Josh Freeman - QB - Kansas State
Nate Davis - QB - Ball State
Mike Reilly - QB - Central Washington

Andre Brown - RB - North Carolina State
Mike Goodson - RB - Texas A&M
Kory Sheets - RB - Purdue
Arian Foster - RB - Tennessee

Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech
Brandon Gibson - WR - Washington State

Andre Smith - OT - Alabama
Michael Oher - OT - Mississippi

B.J. Raji - NT - Boston College

Jarron Gilbert - DE - San Jose State
Pannel Egboh - DE - Stanford

Aaron Maybin - OLB - Penn State
Larry English - OLB - Northern Illinois

Rey Maualuga - ILB - USC

Don Carey - CB - Norfolk State
Greg Toler - CB - St. Paul's College

Last edited by phlysac : 04-09-2009 at 02:11 AM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Raji?

Maybe old news here, but it appears that Brtuce is staying for another yr. as WR

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2...ar-with-49ers/

Great news for Josh Morgan, he's Morgan's mentor. Morgan was an underrated mid-rd. steal IMO as a possession receiver, really lit it up in the early p/o last season but tapered off in the 2nd half. This is why he needs guidance from Issac & his position coach. Also signals they won't be going WR until later rds. this draft too.

Any word on B.J. Raji's visit to Santa Clara yesterday (tues)? I know there are concerns about his failed drug test for pot while at BC & a disputed failed Combine test. ESPN said yesterday that the official results from the Combine on who failed the piss test won't be released until April 20th, which made me lol when I heard it.... a list of players testing positive for THC released on 4-20, get it I took a lot of crap elsewhere when I said that Raji will drop like a stone if he is one of those listed, & he will b/c that means he failed 2 test over 2 yrs, he knew he would be tested at the Combine, & with his history he didn't stop using whacky-tobakky, could cost him millions of $. Still he's the top-ranked NT for the now chic & trendy 3-4 defense in the NFL, Sapoaga/Franklin isn't the answer for them & last yr's no. 1 Kentwan Balmer never really cracked the starting lineup, so....

The question is how concerned will McCloghan & Singletary (an ordained Baptist minister btw) about failed drug tests? Another dirty test will cost him 4 games in the NFL, so there's that risk, he will be some team's #1 pick -- bet on it -- so to hell with the criticisms about #10 being too early to take Raji, if the 9ers need him he has to go then, & with soooooo much $ wrapped up in a #1 pick they can't afford to have their NT miss any games. It's a puzzler -- I admit it.

My take on Raji is to draft him, or if they go another direction in the 1st rd. take his BC team mate Ron Brace later who's ranked 3rd at DT behind Raji & Peria Jerry at #1. Brace is listed as versatile enough to be the 2-gapper in a 3-4 without the character concerns. Any way you slice the 9ers have to address d-line in this draft, stop that steady stream of retreads (KGB, Andre Carter, etc) at the DE opposite their best defensive player last yr Justin Smith with someone who can actually, you know, get to the passer & play the run effectively too.

I live in San Jose btw & get the regional NFL games every Sunday, & for the last 2 yrs. it's been a comedy of errors with the 9ers. Martzball was a great screaming failure & JT O'Sullivan fumbled more than Trent Dilfer did, hard to believe but it happened, & their offense still needs a lot of work, but I know you sell tickets with offense & win with defense. Former defensive guru Singletary I think knows it too, I think that's the way they're going.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...-in-draft.html

Add Nate Davis and Andre Smith to the list of visiting players.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I love William Moore but is SS really that high of a priority now that the team has Michael Lewis, Reggie Smith and Jimmy Williams at that position?
I think he'd be capable of playing FS. Patrick Chung and Delmas should also be available.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember reading somewhere that out of all the visits last year, the only player we drafted was Josh Morgan.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
I think he'd be capable of playing FS. Patrick Chung and Delmas should also be available.
Capable? Absolutely. But because of the lack of playmaking that has come from the FS position for so many years I would much prefer a FS that resembles a ball-hawking CB than an in-the-box SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that out of all the visits last year, the only player we drafted was Josh Morgan.
True. But the 49ers drafted so late last year that they couldn't really bring in a guy that was "guaranteed" to be there. Plus, bringing a guy in sometimes removes a player from a "wish list". It'll be much more likely that the 1st round pick visted this year than was the case last year.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the amount of potential options to trade back, the Niners I'm sure are bringing in prospects that they won't draft to create smokescreens.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:26 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I think that they are bringing in all the potential #10 picks to make the most informed decision and the rest are just follow ups so they have the whole picture on a player (like bringing in Mike Goodson, for example).

Old 04-09-2009, 02:10 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Yerah, Maiocco mentioned the possibility that Goodson, Foster, and Sheets may have been brought in to get a better feel for their "character concerns".

Updated my above post regarding visits to add Aaron Maybin...
Old 04-09-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How many of us really want us to draft Maybin?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Maybin: Do Not Want
Old 04-09-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Aaron Maybin

Yay - 0
Nay - 2

Old 04-09-2009, 01:44 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do NOT want Maybin.

I'd rather take a guy in the 2nd because there isn't that much drop off, but the price is a lot cheaper.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

I don't get the Maybin hate. Many would have no problem with Orakpo or Brown at #10 and I believe Maybin is a much better 3-4 OLB prospect than either of those two guys.

Last edited by phlysac : 04-09-2009 at 01:50 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:08 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I don't get the Maybin hate. Many would have no problem with Orakpo or Brown at #10 and I believe Maybin is a much better 3-4 OLB prospect than either of those two guys.
Well there you go.. you might be the only one who believes that.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I'd rather take a guy in the 2nd because there isn't that much drop off, but the price is a lot cheaper.
I was of that opinion as well but due to the lack of rush ends in this year's draft I am incresingly concerned that potential 3-4 OLBs...

Brian Orakpo
Everette Brown
Aaron Maybin
Clay Matthews
Michael Johnson
Connor Barwin
Larry English
Lawrence Sidbury

will all be off the board at #43.