Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And I laugh. Just like I laughed when I read that Antonio Bryant is better than Roddy White.

Silly Cane.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Nah.

Javon Ringer was pretty good last year, yeah?

When a player is a pounder and lacks a lot of big plays his average is lower. Explosive backs may not be as consistently good, but average more yards per attempt.
Javon Ringer just got a lot of carries. He tapered off big-time in the second half. Jonathan Dwyer averaged 6.98 yards per carry. He must be a real speed demon. Shonn Greene averaged 6.03 yards per carry. Ringer and Evans were the only two backs in the top 10 in the nation (carries-wise) to average less than 4.8 yards per carry.

Try again.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And I laugh. Just like I laughed when I read that Antonio Bryant is better than Roddy White.

Silly Cane.
What's to laugh about?
(in no order)
Graig Cooper
Javarris James
Mike James
Lamar Miller
Damien Berry
Lee Chambers
Darren Evans

And Bryant is better than White. It's obviously very close and the 2 have different strengths/weaknesses, but Bryant has slightly more ability and a slightly more impressive year last year (considering environment).

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:16 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Javon Ringer just got a lot of carries. He tapered off big-time in the second half. Jonathan Dwyer averaged 6.98 yards per carry. He must be a real speed demon. Shonn Greene averaged 6.03 yards per carry. Ringer and Evans were the only two backs in the top 10 in the nation (carries-wise) to average less than 4.8 yards per carry.

Try again.
Like always, a punk.

I said a pounder who is not explosive.

Maybe you don't watch games, pretty sure you do not, but Dwyer was very, very explosive last season.

Greene one of the best backs in college football, he also had at least one twenty yard run in eight games.

His average in games without a twenty yard run was significantly lower.

Evans is a pounder. He will be, once again, more productive than any back on Michigan's roster. And he will do it splitting carries.

Let's not rehash this garbage arguement.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:17 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
What's to laugh about?
(in no order)
Graig Cooper
Javarris James
Mike James
Lamar Miller
Damien Berry
Lee Chambers
Darren Evans

And Bryant is better than White. It's obviously very close and the 2 have different strengths/weaknesses, but Bryant has slightly more ability and a slightly more impressive year last year (considering environment).
No.

Really, no.

Evans would be, at worst, third at UM after his season last year. Had Bryce Brown came to UM then fourth at worst. Again, I think he is better than any back on that roster, because he's shown it. They haven't.

And Cooper's 4.9 yard per carry is just so amazing. Funny that is the main selling point over Evans.

And the Bryant over White thing is just funny.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No.

Really, no.

Evans would be, at worst, third at UM after his season last year. Had Bryce Brown came to UM then fourth at worst. Again, I think he is better than any back on that roster, because he's shown it. They haven't.

And Cooper's 4.9 yard per carry is just so amazing. Funny that is the main selling point over Evans.

And the Bryant over White thing is just funny.
Based on talent he would be 7th. Based on on-field production he would be first, obviously, but there are different factors that contribute to rushing statistics.

I really don't care about these statistics. Cooper has game-breaking ability. He needs run more decisively, and if he does he will dominate all year. If he doesn't, he'll still be slightly less mediocre than Evans.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like always, a punk.

I said a pounder who is not explosive.
So basically, a slow **** with no speed or agility?

Quote:
Maybe you don't watch games, pretty sure you do not, but Dwyer was very, very explosive last season.
Right, just because I don't agree with you, it means that I don't watch games.

Quote:
Greene one of the best backs in college football
According to you, so was Darren Evans. So he has no excuses.

Quote:
His average in games without a twenty yard run was significantly lower.
Okay? So we should punish him for breaking big runs? Makes sense. Let's take Evans' big runs away too. Greene still wins.

Quote:
Evans is a pounder.
So, again, he has no speed or agility? I'm assuming that's your definition since guys like Beanie Wells, Shonn Greene, Jon Dwyer, Gartrell Johnson etc... all smoked Evans' ypc average. But no, they can't be "pounders". What does pounder mean for you? Run into the pile, fall forward and get three yards?

Quote:
He will be, once again, more productive than any back on Michigan's roster.
A) Because that's what the original argument was. Sweet attempt at trolling.
B) Want to bet that Brandon Minor has a higher ypc than Evans?

Quote:
Let's not rehash this garbage arguement.
It's "garbage" to you because your ******** argument gets blown the **** out of water every time we do this. All I hear are excuses for why Evans sucks. Evans has one of the bottom 5 ypc averages out of the top 50 in carries from last year, and at least one of those is a QB.

Any dumb **** can run into a pile and not make plays.

Oh, and since speed backs are the only ones who ever make big plays, why is Reggie Bush's pro ypc at 3.7?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
And Cooper's 4.9 yard per carry is just so amazing.
Um, five yards per carry is around average for a starting RB. 4.4? Way under the average.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Based on talent he would be 7th. Based on on-field production he would be first, obviously, but there are different factors that contribute to rushing statistics.

I really don't care about these statistics. Cooper has game-breaking ability. He needs run more decisively, and if he does he will dominate all year. If he doesn't, he'll still be slightly less mediocre than Evans.
Cooper was more mediocre than Evans last season.

For a gamebreaker, Cooper is a very average open field back. He doesn't make a ton of big plays for a guy with his supposed skill set.

I don't see much special about Cooper. Not that I see much special about Evans, but he has been more productive and valuable to his team. Evans is an above average power back who has produced very nicely, Cooper is an above average quick back who has not.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:36 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
So basically, a slow **** with no speed or agility?

Right, just because I don't agree with you, it means that I don't watch games.

Dwyer was explosive, that's not very debatable.

According to you, so was Darren Evans. So he has no excuses.

Greene was top 5, Evans top 25. Big difference.

Okay? So we should punish him for breaking big runs? Makes sense. Let's take Evans' big runs away too. Greene still wins.

No ****. Reading comprehension helps. I'm saying big plays bump yard per carry averages. Evans lack of big plays and his YPC go hand in hand. He is a consistent runner.

So, again, he has no speed or agility? I'm assuming that's your definition since guys like Beanie Wells, Shonn Greene, Jon Dwyer, Gartrell Johnson etc... all smoked Evans' ypc average. But no, they can't be "pounders". What does pounder mean for you? Run into the pile, fall forward and get three yards?

He has decent straight line speed, little agility.

Again, comparing three top ten backs to Evans. I never said he is or was in their league. And yes, all three are more adept at creating big plays.

Johnson is the only player on the list who is not explosive, and he played inferior competition. 5.3 yard per carry against that competition is about right for a power back. Evans played BC twice, FSU, GT, UM, etc..

A) Because that's what the original argument was. Sweet attempt at trolling.
B) Want to bet that Brandon Minor has a higher ypc than Evans?

I'd bet he has more yards and touchdowns.

It's "garbage" to you because your ******** argument gets blown the **** out of water every time we do this. All I hear are excuses for why Evans sucks. Evans has one of the bottom 5 ypc averages out of the top 50 in carries from last year, and at least one of those is a QB.

People always get mad when losing arguements.

I have stats, you have nothing.

Any dumb **** can run into a pile and not make plays.

Oh, and since speed backs are the only ones who ever make big plays, why is Reggie Bush's pro ypc at 3.7?
I said explosive backs. Reggie Bush has not been an explosive runner.

Please, stop. You're horrible at this and I'm leaving.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Evans has one of the bottom 5 ypc averages out of the top 50 in carries from last year, and at least one of those is a QB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans' boyfriend
I have stats, you have nothing
Still waiting for an explanation on that one...

What ******* stats do you have? Every important stat shows that Evans is nothing more than a run-of-the-mill running back. And of course Evans will get more yards than Minor, since he's going to get a ****load more carries. However, I'll take the ypc bet, unless you're too chicken **** to take it.

I'm assuming you also think Javon Ringer had a better year than Shonn Greene? I mean, he had more carries and more touchdowns, so championship, right?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Don't argue stats with Sniper. That's his bread and butter.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-07-2009, 06:49 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Still waiting for an explanation on that one...

What ******* stats do you have? Every important stat shows that Evans is nothing more than a run-of-the-mill running back. And of course Evans will get more yards than Minor, since he's going to get a ****load more carries. However, I'll take the ypc bet, unless you're too chicken **** to take it.

I'm assuming you also think Javon Ringer had a better year than Shonn Greene? I mean, he had more carries and more touchdowns, so championship, right?
Stats like yards and touchdowns. Not important at all! Lol.

As for Ringer and Greene...

Evans had 33% more yards than Cooper, 55% more touchdowns, 40% more carries.

Ringer had 12% less yards than Greene, 9% more touchdowns, 21% more carries.

Not a good comparison.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Can we stop this arguement please?

We all know Evans is just another guy. You could take 2-3 backs from any roster in college, plus them into Evans role last year and get the same results.

Why do we even talk to BF on this one? H is convinced getting alot of carries means your a great back.
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Yards and TDs are important, but they're not always the best reflection of a player. Any college back can get 1,265 yards on 287 carries. For the last ******* time, 4.4 yards per carry, for a collegiate starter, sucks. I don't care how you spin it, it sucks. With TDs, anyone who gets it as much as Evans does in the red zone can score 11 TDs.

Look at Evans' touchdowns...

ECU- 3 yards
Furman- 3 yards
Georgia Tech- 8 yards
UNC- 10 yards
Nebraska- 1 yard, 19 yards
W. Kentucky- 1 yard, 2 yards
BC- No TDs
FSU- No TDs
Maryland- 1 yard
Miami- No TDs
Duke- No TDs
Virginia- No TDs
BC- 10 yards
Cincinnati- 6 yards

Look at that...Not a single Darren Evans TD came from outside the red zone, and all but one came from 10 yards or closer. Over half of his touchdowns came from five yards or closer. I'm sorry, that's not impressive. If you really think that's good, you must also believe that Jehuu Caulcrick, he of the 21 TDs, was the Big 10's best back in 2007.

Evans had the third most carries in the country in the red zone with 74. It's very easy to see why he had 11 TDs. Of the top 10 players for red zone carries, he had the fewest touchdowns.

Last edited by Sniper : 04-07-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Yards and TDs are important, but they're not always the best reflection of a player. Any college back can get 1,265 yards on 287 carries. For the last ******* time, 4.4 yards per carry, for a collegiate starter, sucks. I don't care how you spin it, it sucks. With TDs, anyone who gets it as much as Evans does in the red zone can score 11 TDs.

Look at Evans' touchdowns...

ECU- 3 yards
Furman- 3 yards
Georgia Tech- 8 yards
UNC- 10 yards
Nebraska- 1 yard, 19 yards
W. Kentucky- 1 yard, 2 yards
BC- No TDs
FSU- No TDs
Maryland- 1 yard
Miami- No TDs
Duke- No TDs
Virginia- No TDs
BC- 10 yards
Cincinnati- 6 yards

Look at that...Not a single Darren Evans TD came from outside the red zone, and all but one came from 10 yards or closer. Over half of his touchdowns came from five yards or closer. I'm sorry, that's not impressive. If you really think that's good, you must also believe that Jehuu Caulcrick, he of the 21 TDs, was the Big 10's best back in 2007.

Evans had the third most carries in the country in the red zone with 74. It's very easy to see why he had 11 TDs. Of the top 10 players for red zone carries, he had the fewest touchdowns.
I've never said he was an amazing, or great, runningback. He is a good runningback who does what he does well. He is a tough player who picks up tough yards and wears down defenses. He isn't shifty, he doesn't make big plays. Because of that he will never be a dynamic talent.

But he does what he does well, and that is why he was a vital part of our offense and vital to us winning the ACC. And the fans love him as well, because of how he plays. Believe me, I'm called a Darren Evans hater on Rivals for saying RW and DW are more talented.

But calling a guy like Evans, who put up big numbers as a freshman against a tough defensive schedule, average is false.

Can we stop this arguement?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:47 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
I've never said he was an amazing, or great, runningback. He is a good runningback who does what he does well. He is a tough player who picks up tough yards and wears down defenses. He isn't shifty, he doesn't make big plays. Because of that he will never be a dynamic talent.

But he does what he does well, and that is why he was a vital part of our offense and vital to us winning the ACC. And the fans love him as well, because of how he plays. Believe me, I'm called a Darren Evans hater on Rivals for saying RW and DW are more talented.

But calling a guy like Evans, who put up big numbers as a freshman against a tough defensive schedule, average is false.

Can we stop this arguement?
Isn't that the very definition of average?
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
Isn't that the very definition of average?
No.

He does certain things very well, but top talents at runningback have to be able to make big plays. He doesn't do that.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 AM    (permalink
vatech=accdomination
All-Pro

vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Darren Evans needs a restraining order against this thread.

FULL INBOX +REP TO SEND MESSAGE.....
vatech=accdomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Ryan Williams had a 80-yard touchdown run in our first scrimmage. :)

Eddie Whitley is the next great Virginia Tech. cornerback.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:50 PM    (permalink
vatech=accdomination
All-Pro

vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I have been psyched about Eddie Whitley since I saw him last summer, he reminds me alot of Brandon Flowers.

williams had 8 carries for 122 yards, subtract the 80 yard run and he was still averaging 6 ypc against a bud foster coached defense.

FULL INBOX +REP TO SEND MESSAGE.....
vatech=accdomination is offline   Reply With Quote