Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly if your freaking out over it and situations like these, your probably not the guy to be taking the last shot...And that's not a knock on you, but only one guy can take the last shot, maybe your the guy who sets up the guy who makes the GW shot, you have to know your role and play it.

Maybe your the guy who should be making the clean pick to free a guy up, or the key assist to get him in a good position, if that's not your forte to be making GW shots or whatever in the clutch don't force it...It's really mostly a mental thing, you need to have the mentality that if your going to be "the guy" then visualize what you want to happen and play it over in your head, confidence is big in the clutch.

After awhile MJ was so confident at the end of games, being unsure of yourself won't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If by now you haven't realized if you're able to be clutch or not, you're probably screwed. You can be a very good performer, all game long, but like it has been mentioned before, most of the time it's an instinct and want to succeed that you're just born with.

It's all natural. The second you try thinking of ways to make it any different, you will fail.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Call Bill Buckner; I hear he has some tips.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is 100% in your head. If you know in your head that you are going to make the game winning play, you will.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:08 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somse View Post
Don't be afraid of failure. Don't think "what if I miss this shot". Change your mindset to "I'm going to take this shot". Don't worry about the result. Either you miss and learn from it/improve or you hit it and win.
Omar Vizquel has a .985 fielding percentage. I read his book and he said that when fielding a ball he wouldn't think "I better not make an error." he would think "I'm going to make this play". You can't doubt yourself. Because when you do succeed you feel it's lucky. I'm pretty much repeating what everyone has said though.

Oh, and another thing. I was a pitcher in high school and I never had the overpowering fastball or the huge breaking ball or had great accuracy (I guess I did everything pretty well though). Sophomore year my JV pitching coach told me a lot of things but I only really remember one of them, and it went along the lines of this:

"When you step onto the rubber you have to have the mentality that you're going to strikeout everybody. You have to think you're the ****. No matter who gets into the box you have to know you're going to strike him out. You've got to have that bulldog mentality."

So whenever I stepped onto the rubber from then on I would challenge every batter. That year I had like a 2.7ish ERA. Junior year I hurt my shoulder and had like a 3.3 ERA.

Senior year my coach thought I sucked and wouldn't put me in. One game I had to come out of the bullpen to face the best team in the league's 3-4-5 hitters with 0 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd and we were winning 1-0 in the 6th. My pitching coach made the switch because my head coach wouldn't do it because he didn't want to put me in. He made a big scene and everything. I came in and challenged their 3 best hitters and retired all three without giving up a run. I finished the year with a 3-0 record and a 2.14 ERA.

No one ever thought I was good but I was confident I was as good as anyone else. I ended up writing a lot more than I was intending on.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyColtScout View Post
Please don't just say prep and practice. Sometimes no matter how much you prepare, you can be put into a new/unforseen situation.

Sometimes, I do well in the cluth and sometimes I don't.

I want to hear what some of you have done in sports situations to help you succeed in high pressure situations.

Any tips for me?

How do you shake yourself and get that pressure/anxiety of failure out of your head?
I just assume I'm the best person out there. This isn't exactly the clutch, but it has to do with the same thing. My sophomore year of high school, I got moved up to varsity because the starting QB got hurt. I was moved up the tuesday before the game. So I had 3 days of practice on varsity. The QB who started the game got hurt, so I had to go in. I wasn't the slightest bit nervous, even though there were 12-15k people at the game(it was against our rivals.) I wasn't nervous because I didn't give a damn what anyone but my teammates thought of how I did. The pressure on me didn't change whether I was playing peewee football or d1 football. My teammates and I were the only ones who mattered, I couldn't let anyone else down and I couldn't win the game for anyone else.

So my advice? **** the fans, just worry about you.

Something that I think Chuck Noll said has really stuck with me, "Being nervous is the sign of the unprepared."
Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's all psychology. Some of it is just in you, some of it you can create. Confidence is the biggest thing. If you are confident in you ability to get the job done, you won't let nerves affect you.

I drag race and when I get in the finals, I need that right mix of fear of losing but at the same time the confidence that I won't to keep me on top of my game. Really helps me to lock down and focus.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Improve clutch? Easy. Go into the hyperbolic time chamber!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

pre-game visualization.

and practice in similar situations. honestly, being emotional is the worst for any particular situation, being calculating and methodical is much more viable.

i know, i ride a bike, critical moments where you have to chase down a breakway thats rapidly escaping or in the final 1000m where you're basically in a lead-out dogfight to determine who wins... it's all about having a plan and reacting naturally, what helps is practice in such situations... why do you think football teams practice 2 minute drills... being able to pull a david tyree every time is highly unlikely... but having good hands and concentration will help you go far.

knowing your limitations is the best advice, any good coach will know these too.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote