Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.
Default Best Player Available?

As we move closer to d-day, it appears the defensive players that may be targeted by Miami may not be available at #25. At this point, what happens? Obviously a trade down would be the best choice, but if that option is not available, then what happens? I have been a proponent of best player available in all of my posts.

Some realistic names that may be there:
Brandon Pettigrew
Eben Britton
Knowshon Moreno

None are at "need" positions, but all are guys who are going to be very good players in this league. I think Pettigrew could be a stud in our system and if you put him and Fasano in a 2 TE set with Brown in the backfield, there should be no one they can't run on. Britton looks like he can be a nice RT for a long time and Moreno is an extremely talented back (despite the poor 40 times lately). He plays much faster and is a hard runner.

Keep this in mind guys. Reaching for a need pick could potentially leave one or more of these guys on the board. Myself, I would take one of them before reaching for a Brace, Barwin, English, etc....
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Personally, I'd rather trade up for Rey Maualuga. He is the best pick IMO for us. He ahs slipped some and if we can give up our 4th to move up into the 20 range and get him, I think that's what we need to do.

We can get back another 5th/6th rounder by then trading the displaced Akin Ayodele.

Failng that, trade back for a team moving up to get Britton, Pettigrew or Moreno and target English, Smith, Brace or Britt.
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Despite Maualuga fitting in very well in Miami's d, I would not trade up to get him. I really feel that there are too many holes to fill and that 4th rd pick could get us someone who can play for this team. I also don't think there is anyway you would get a pick for Ayodele. I really think that outside of trading down (which is the best option), best player available is the way to go.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Travis Daniels got us a 7th last year. After the good year Ayodele had for us, I'm sure he could at least get a late round pick.

I think this team has alot of holes as well. But your arguement over it sucks.

How can you saw we have too many holes to give up a 4th rounder to move up for an impact LB that we need. But in the same post think we have the luxury of wasting a 1st rounder on a 3rd RB (Moreno) or a 3rd OT (Britton) or a 2nd TE (Pettigrew)?

Your logic makes zero sense. I'd rather see them trade up for a position of need then to sit there and take a player that is gonna ride the bench for a few years because we are deep at that spot.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
Travis Daniels got us a 7th last year. After the good year Ayodele had for us, I'm sure he could at least get a late round pick.

I think this team has alot of holes as well. But your arguement over it sucks.

How can you saw we have too many holes to give up a 4th rounder to move up for an impact LB that we need. But in the same post think we have the luxury of wasting a 1st rounder on a 3rd RB (Moreno) or a 3rd OT (Britton) or a 2nd TE (Pettigrew)?

Your logic makes zero sense. I'd rather see them trade up for a position of need then to sit there and take a player that is gonna ride the bench for a few years because we are deep at that spot.
Are you really that much of an a$$hole? Seriously..

You post on this board as if you know everything and you have consistently shown that you don't.

Travis Daniels is not a 30 yr old slow ILB. He is a 26 yr old who played a premium position that a desperate team needed to fill and they got a #7, not a #5 or #6. There are plenty of ILB's available that are the equal of Ayodele .

My argument (By the way, I spelled it correctly) is that they are not one player away. FACT. That they could get a quality player in the 4th round. FACT. That taking the best player regardless of position could get them a very good player regardless of position. FACT.

Look at all of the good teams in this league. They do not draft for need. You wind up reaching for players in the hopes of helping a need and wind up hurting other spots. Depth is needed everywhere.

You consistently overvalue every Miami player in every post. Look back last yr when you were basically caling Satele the next Dwight Stevenson and you come on now and post on how he sucked. How Justin Smiley is the Almighty at LG. Give me a break, man. I am done posting to any of your stuff any more. It just isn't worth tryign to argue with someone who thinks he knows everything and doesn't know s#!t.....
Old 04-09-2009, 01:50 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Are you really that much of an a$$hole? Seriously..

You post on this board as if you know everything and you have consistently shown that you don't.

Travis Daniels is not a 30 yr old slow ILB. He is a 26 yr old who played a premium position that a desperate team needed to fill and they got a #7, not a #5 or #6. There are plenty of ILB's available that are the equal of Ayodele .

My argument (By the way, I spelled it correctly) is that they are not one player away. FACT. That they could get a quality player in the 4th round. FACT. That taking the best player regardless of position could get them a very good player regardless of position. FACT.

Look at all of the good teams in this league. They do not draft for need. You wind up reaching for players in the hopes of helping a need and wind up hurting other spots. Depth is needed everywhere.

You consistently overvalue every Miami player in every post. Look back last yr when you were basically caling Satele the next Dwight Stevenson and you come on now and post on how he sucked. How Justin Smiley is the Almighty at LG. Give me a break, man. I am done posting to any of your stuff any more. It just isn't worth tryign to argue with someone who thinks he knows everything and doesn't know s#!t.....
Hi. Welcome to the boards. If u wanna join the discussion, do so. But save the ranting, raving, whining, name calling and pissy mood for children. I dont have time for it.

BTW...Last year, NE (best team in the league) drafted for need. Took a LB 1st and 2 CBs later. Wake up a smell the roses, teams draft for needs. Name me a team that drafted a 3rd RB in round 1.

Let me ask how this, since when do you see a team use 2 1st round pick at OT (one being number 1 overall), pay both those guys among the top 10 at the position at ages 24 and 28 and then go use another 1st rounder on a Backup OT? That sure sounds like what u are saying when u bring up Eben Britton. U really think thats what good teams do? Really?

Good teams know how to allocate resources, and that means not drafting a 3rd OT or 3rd RB in round 1.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Hi. Welcome to the boards. If u wanna join the discussion, do so. But save the ranting, raving, whining, name calling and pissy mood for children. I dont have time for it.

BTW...Last year, NE (best team in the league) drafted for need. Took a LB 1st and 2 CBs later. Wake up a smell the roses, teams draft for needs. Name me a team that drafted a 3rd RB in round 1.

Let me ask how this, since when do you see a team use 2 1st round pick at OT (one being number 1 overall), pay both those guys among the top 10 at the position at ages 24 and 28 and then go use another 1st rounder on a Backup OT? That sure sounds like what u are saying when u bring up Eben Britton. U really think thats what good teams do? Really?

Good teams know how to allocate resources, and that means not drafting a 3rd OT or 3rd RB in round 1.
Apparently, you do have time for it. Since it seems you are always finding ways to post and insult people after you consistently get proven wrong.

The great part about these boards is that it is an open discussion, not an insult-filled barrage. Not to mention, all the old posts are archived so basically everyone can see how many times people have been wrong.

So I suggest to look back at a lot of the old topics from the past and see just how often you have been incorrect or conveniently "changed your opinion" about everything. Should be entertaining.

By the way, name a better player on the board than Jared Mayo at #10 last yr for NE to take. Oh wait, he just happened to be the best player AND he filled a need. Wow!

Also, is it possible that drafting a RB in rd 1 could give the team the option to get rid of 30+ yr old RB's who are declining and in the NFL drug program? Or give the team an option when their main RB comes up for a contract at the end of next yr? Hmmm.....

What about an OT who could be there in case they decide to move their current RT who may be better suited for LG anyway? Or maybe for trades down the road? Hmmm.....

But wait, they should take a NT who in most yrs would be a 3rd rd pick (at best) and will probably end up a journeyman player because it fills a need. Or they should trade up and give up other picks (which is why this team has been so sh!tty the last few yrs) and try to fill a need for a player (Maualuga, who I think is very good by the way) who will not put them over the top. If Maualuga is there along with some of the other guys, we are not having this discussion. He would fill a need and be among the best available player so the pick makes sense. You do not trade up for him.

The only way the need may work is if they are one player away. They are not... They need more depth across the board. Good teams are deep and don't reach for players. Look at the Colts when they drafted Anthony Gonzalez and Dallas Clark when they already had Harrison, Wayne and Pollard playing at the top of their games and they desperately needed defense. Why? Because they knew the day would come when those guys would be gone. Now Harrison and Pollard are memories and they have stars ready to replace them.

Maybe it is time for you to open your eyes and see that unless the need player they draft is close to or as good as the best player available, that they should pass on him. It almost always turns out to be the best move..

Last edited by Quagmire : 04-10-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
What about an OT who could be there in case they decide to move their current RT who may be better suited for LG anyway? Or maybe for trades down the road? Hmmm.....
So now we are drafting a people in the 1st round so we can trade them later or trade a a Pro Bowl LT or our RT who we just signed to a huge contract a month ago?

Let's grasp at more straws shall we?

They didn't make Vernon Carey one of the highest paid tackles, to move him to LG where we are already have Smiley signed for big money. Use some common logic there man.

BTW....if you thought Jared Mayo was BPA last year at number 10 overall, your on something. He was a fast riser but nobody thought he was worth a top 10 pick. Hindsight is 20/20 and your rising his value in your mind because of how he played, but at the time he was drafted, he was not viewed as worthy of a top 10 pick.

BTW...you can get over your rants about me being wrong and all that bullcrap. I don't give a **** and neither does anyone else on here. Let's makes you look pathetic to keep up with it over and over.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
So now we are drafting a people in the 1st round so we can trade them later or trade a a Pro Bowl LT or our RT who we just signed to a huge contract a month ago?

Let's grasp at more straws shall we?

They didn't make Vernon Carey one of the highest paid tackles, to move him to LG where we are already have Smiley signed for big money. Use some common logic there man.

BTW....if you thought Jared Mayo was BPA last year at number 10 overall, your on something. He was a fast riser but nobody thought he was worth a top 10 pick. Hindsight is 20/20 and your rising his value in your mind because of how he played, but at the time he was drafted, he was not viewed as worthy of a top 10 pick.

BTW...you can get over your rants about me being wrong and all that bullcrap. I don't give a **** and neither does anyone else on here. Let's makes you look pathetic to keep up with it over and over.
If they were to draft Britton, he would be the starting RT here within 2 yrs. They would move Carey to G. I guarantee it.

Find one person last yr who thought NE reached at #10 with Mayo. Who were people expecting them to draft at #10? He flew up draft boards last offseason.

If you think Smiley is going to be here long term with his injury history and contract, you are crazy. Players get cut in this league. He suffered a big time injury last yr. Lets make sure he recovers....

Trust me, I think plenty of people on here are tired of the way you talk down to everyone with your "expertise". The forums are for open discussion, not for your know it all attitude. Look at the way you answer posts against the way most of the others do. Its ridiculous.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
If they were to draft Britton, he would be the starting RT here within 2 yrs. They would move Carey to G. I guarantee it.

Find one person last yr who thought NE reached at #10 with Mayo. Who were people expecting them to draft at #10? He flew up draft boards last offseason.

If you think Smiley is going to be here long term with his injury history and contract, you are crazy. Players get cut in this league. He suffered a big time injury last yr. Lets make sure he recovers....

Trust me, I think plenty of people on here are tired of the way you talk down to everyone with your "expertise". The forums are for open discussion, not for your know it all attitude. Look at the way you answer posts against the way most of the others do. Its ridiculous.
Great another one with the attitude comments. Obviously you didn't hear me last time so let me make it clear. I DONT GIVE A **** HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT MY ATTITUDE OR POSTS. Deal with it and let's have a discussion or block me, simple as that. Most on these boards have no problem getting past the way I post and getting the the info, why can't you?

BTW.....I love how you changed your opinion on Jared Mayo now. Last post he was the BPA for the Pats, now your ok with "he wasnt a reach". 2 different things there buddy.

BTW..he wasn't considered a reach because he went to the Pats and they know what they are doing so they get the benefit of the doubt. If the Lions picked him at that spot, it would have been ripped left and right by everyone. He was not viewed as a top 10 pick last year.

So now we are taking our 1st round pick to sit him for 2 years so we can then cut our high priced LG, move our high priced RT to LG where his contract would be insanely huge and then insert Britton at RT. Get real dude, there are too many holes on our roster for that kind of luxury. The team that do that are teams with zero holes on their roster, not teams with holes all over the place. Teams draft for needs in round 1, plain and simple. 1st rounders make too much money to sit on the bench and wait a couple years. The BPA idea is all well and good in theory, but rarely is it practiced for real by NFL teams. Hence why guys like Brady Quinn fall, because no one needs them.

I'd rather reach for Sean Smith or Larry English then to draft Eben Britton. And I promise you the Dolphins are thinking the same way.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:35 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Great another one with the attitude comments. Obviously you didn't hear me last time so let me make it clear. I DONT GIVE A **** HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT MY ATTITUDE OR POSTS. Deal with it and let's have a discussion or block me, simple as that. Most on these boards have no problem getting past the way I post and getting the the info, why can't you?

BTW.....I love how you changed your opinion on Jared Mayo now. Last post he was the BPA for the Pats, now your ok with "he wasnt a reach". 2 different things there buddy.

BTW..he wasn't considered a reach because he went to the Pats and they know what they are doing so they get the benefit of the doubt. If the Lions picked him at that spot, it would have been ripped left and right by everyone. He was not viewed as a top 10 pick last year.

So now we are taking our 1st round pick to sit him for 2 years so we can then cut our high priced LG, move our high priced RT to LG where his contract would be insanely huge and then insert Britton at RT. Get real dude, there are too many holes on our roster for that kind of luxury. The team that do that are teams with zero holes on their roster, not teams with holes all over the place. Teams draft for needs in round 1, plain and simple. 1st rounders make too much money to sit on the bench and wait a couple years. The BPA idea is all well and good in theory, but rarely is it practiced for real by NFL teams. Hence why guys like Brady Quinn fall, because no one needs them.

I'd rather reach for Sean Smith or Larry English then to draft Eben Britton. And I promise you the Dolphins are thinking the same way.
I agree, we don't need Britton. And even if he was there, I doubt he will be the best player available at least not by much.

Joey I also agree we need Maualuga in the worst way man. I say do whatever we need to to get up and get him! I would also be fine staying pat and taking Sean Smith if it would cost too much for Rey, but it sure would be nice to have him!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:

Who changed his opinion on Mayo? Stated the same thing both times. Apparently, reading is not your strong point. Too busy churning out insults and incorrect information.

Did I not point out the Colts as an example of team who did not draft for need and are better for it?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Who changed his opinion on Mayo? Stated the same thing both times. Apparently, reading is not your strong point. Too busy churning out insults and incorrect information.

Did I not point out the Colts as an example of team who did not draft for need and are better for it?
Stating Mayo is the BPA and stating he was "not a reach" are two different things. You can draft someone that isn't the BPA and have it not be a reach.

BTW...maybe you need reading comprehension if you think I'm the one throwing insults. I've repeatedly told you to get over this **** already and you insist on continuing so I'm just gonna ignore you.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Stating Mayo is the BPA and stating he was "not a reach" are two different things. You can draft someone that isn't the BPA and have it not be a reach.

BTW...maybe you need reading comprehension if you think I'm the one throwing insults. I've repeatedly told you to get over this **** already and you insist on continuing so I'm just gonna ignore you.
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=ar...7-8c0598721ee2

Great article on how Polian picked Reggie Wayne despite the "need" for defense..... Amazing what quality GM's in this league do...
Old 04-23-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
GhostDeini
Rookie

GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini

F Rey M., this guy has no instincts and takes terrible angles. USC is becoming bust central. Now if Michael Johnson or Vontae Davis are there at 25, Miami Dolphins need to jump all over them. I'd hate for them to still be on the board and teams like Ravens picking them. They always end up with a rare talent that somehow slips. Dolphins need to start doing that.
GhostDeini is offline   Reply With Quote