Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 04-25-2009, 06:19 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.
Thumbs up Larry English

I was surprised by the pick at first, but after recovering from the initial shock I found I actually like the pick. When I go down the list of our needs I see that there weren't any safeties or DL worth the pick, Maualuga has some character concerns which we all know AJ hates and we signed Burnett anyway, it has been proven time and time again that you can get an excellent RB in the mid-rounds, Oher doesn't seem like an AJ pick and a good RT can be had later as well.

Pass rushers are always hard to come by and our pass rush was terrible last year, albeit Merriman was gone. AJ is constantly looking towards the future so selecting English really signals to me that what Kevin Acee has been saying all along about us not resigning Merriman has been confirmed. He is one of my favorite players, but when we also have the contracts of Rivers, McNeill and Jackson expiring somebody is probably not coming back. I'm not saying I like the fact Merriman's tenure may be coming to a close, but at least AJ has the foresight to cover all his bases.

I personally really like what English brings to the table. He isn't a freak like Shawne, but is tenacious, powerful and knows how to get to the QB. He really reminds me of Lamar Woodley and I think we're getting a stud.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:33 PM    (permalink
SDSupaChargers
Rookie

SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm gonna agree with most of the analysts and say that it was a solid pick, but not a great pick. I like Larry English and think that getting an OLB makes sense, but I have two issues with the pick: 1) Michael Oher was still on the board and 2) it was a bit of a reach and trading down to pick up a second or an additional third would have been very advantageous. With that said English is a big, powerful OLB who will help strengthen our pass rush significantly. Some have even said that he is in a Shawne Merriman mold.

In responding to some of the rest of your post, I really think we need to make it a HUGE priority to resign Merriman. He is a one of a kind athlete and the fire he brings to our defense is priceless. Lacking his leadership and passion were just as much of an issue last year as lacking his pass rush. Merriman is this D's equivalence of Seau, and we need him around. I would say that besides Philip Rivers he is our most important player.

Couple of more points back on English, in the case that we do lose Merriman it is essential that we have someone who can step in and maintain our pass rush. Also it will be great having him to back up Shawne and Shaun, giving us a great 3-man pass rush from our OLBs.

For the rest of the draft I really hope we trade into the second to get William Moore, S, Missouri or even possibly DE Jarron Gilbert, SJSU, but that probably won't happen. I think that we need a SS though and that needs to be a priority. Also, I'd like to see a RB at some point. I doubt we are going to be able to keep LT and Sproles long term so we need to start grooming someone now. It would be great to add a NT late as well as OL depth. I think we're good at ILB, and we definitely don't need anymore mid/late round ILBs (Waters, Siler, Dobbins). Lets see how this thing plays out!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:17 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSupaChargers View Post
I'm gonna agree with most of the analysts and say that it was a solid pick, but not a great pick. I like Larry English and think that getting an OLB makes sense, but I have two issues with the pick: 1) Michael Oher was still on the board and 2) it was a bit of a reach and trading down to pick up a second or an additional third would have been very advantageous. With that said English is a big, powerful OLB who will help strengthen our pass rush significantly. Some have even said that he is in a Shawne Merriman mold.

In responding to some of the rest of your post, I really think we need to make it a HUGE priority to resign Merriman. He is a one of a kind athlete and the fire he brings to our defense is priceless. Lacking his leadership and passion were just as much of an issue last year as lacking his pass rush. Merriman is this D's equivalence of Seau, and we need him around. I would say that besides Philip Rivers he is our most important player.

Couple of more points back on English, in the case that we do lose Merriman it is essential that we have someone who can step in and maintain our pass rush. Also it will be great having him to back up Shawne and Shaun, giving us a great 3-man pass rush from our OLBs.

For the rest of the draft I really hope we trade into the second to get William Moore, S, Missouri or even possibly DE Jarron Gilbert, SJSU, but that probably won't happen. I think that we need a SS though and that needs to be a priority. Also, I'd like to see a RB at some point. I doubt we are going to be able to keep LT and Sproles long term so we need to start grooming someone now. It would be great to add a NT late as well as OL depth. I think we're good at ILB, and we definitely don't need anymore mid/late round ILBs (Waters, Siler, Dobbins). Lets see how this thing plays out!
I agree with you, English was definitely a solid but unspectacular pick. I personally really hope we resign Merriman too, everything seems to point towards the contrary though. I'm hoping Rashad Johnson or Gilbert falls to us in the 3rd, but one thing I've learned about the draft is very rarely do they actually draft who I'm hoping for when they do fall haha.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:50 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am with yall about us needing to resign Merriman, a leader on the defense. Looking up about English doesn't make me hate the pick. I was more excited that we didn't go runningback.

There was so many other holes we needed to fill though :|

Last edited by bantx : 04-25-2009 at 11:34 PM.
bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:37 PM    (permalink
SDSupaChargers
Rookie

SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensiveback23 View Post
I agree with you, English was definitely a solid but unspectacular pick. I personally really hope we resign Merriman too, everything seems to point towards the contrary though. I'm hoping Rashad Johnson or Gilbert falls to us in the 3rd, but one thing I've learned about the draft is very rarely do they actually draft who I'm hoping for when they do fall haha.
I would love for Gilbert to fall to us. That would be my dream scenario, and it's definitely a possibility. I really feel that DE was our biggest and most immediate need going into the draft. However, if he does not fall there are still a ton of great players like there. I doubt we take Rashad Johnson because he is definitely a FS prospect and we have that in Weddle. More likely at S I feel would be someone like Chip Vaughn out of Wake Forest. There also are some great RT prospects left. My two favorites are Gerald Cadogan and T.J. Lang. I feel both could compete with and probably start over Clary this season. Any way you look at it I can't wait until tomorrow when we will more than just one pick, and we'll be adding several new Chargers to the team.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate this pick, because I think English could beast for the Chargers opposite Merriman. He is a real football player and I think he has "it" to be a great pass rusher, even if the measurables aren't great.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:13 AM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSupaChargers View Post
I would love for Gilbert to fall to us. That would be my dream scenario, and it's definitely a possibility. I really feel that DE was our biggest and most immediate need going into the draft. However, if he does not fall there are still a ton of great players like there. I doubt we take Rashad Johnson because he is definitely a FS prospect and we have that in Weddle. More likely at S I feel would be someone like Chip Vaughn out of Wake Forest. There also are some great RT prospects left. My two favorites are Gerald Cadogan and T.J. Lang. I feel both could compete with and probably start over Clary this season. Any way you look at it I can't wait until tomorrow when we will more than just one pick, and we'll be adding several new Chargers to the team.
Good call on Lang, I forgot about him. He is a great fit because he can play RT to push Clary inside, or else start at RG. I can't help seeing the similarities he shares with Dielman due to his tenacious play, size and I believe also being a former DT. Another Dielman on the line would just be nuts lol.

I would be happy with Vaughn too, but I have always been enamored with the thought of having two free safeties back there to finally fix the up the middle pass D. I haven't ever seen Weddle as a true FS though.

I don't think we need any more ILB's, but if we draft one in the 4th, or later, I hope it is Darry Beckwith due to his cover skills. I'm not sold on Burnett being the answer until he shows it. I think a WR gets picked at some point too since our top 3 are FA at the end of the season. It's definitely going to be nice to have more than one pick tomorrow though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo
I hate this pick, because I think English could beast for the Chargers opposite Merriman. He is a real football player and I think he has "it" to be a great pass rusher, even if the measurables aren't great.
Forgive me Geo, but are you a Colts fan?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensiveback23 View Post
Forgive me Geo, but are you a Colts fan?
Guilty as charged. :)
Old 04-26-2009, 10:41 AM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

As the smoke has started to clear, I'm a bit happier about the pick. I still would've preferred Oher, but it seems this is a very high "character guy". My only question is whether he's athletic enough to make the transition from small college to the pros. But at least you know you're going to get effort.

And as mediocre as the Chargers draft may appear to me, at least it hasn't been the disaster that is happening in Oakland and Denver. Thank God for Al Davis.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im just imagining the rotation we're going to have with Merriman, Phillips, and English.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Chargers | Police and courts: LB Shaun Phillips
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:14:42 -0700
Kevin Acee, of The San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers OLB Shaun Phillips was cited for misdemeanor battery over the weekend. A security guard at the Ivy Hotel in San Diego said Phillips hit him in the face on the rooftop bar. A police spokeswoman said there was a brawl at the bar that precipitated the incident, but noted Chargers players were not involved in the fight. According to police, it is the second time this month Phillips was involved in a battery case. On April 11, a security guard at Stingaree said Phillips punched and choked him. Phillips was named as a suspect in that case. He has not, however, been arrested or cited. Phillips said he did not have anything to do with the incident at the Ivy.
A.J. Smith is ahead of the curve.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was getting ready to post that I didn't understand the pick then but I do now.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn AJ is a smart man I guess ;)
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
Damn AJ is a smart man I guess ;)
It's hardly the first time Phillips has gotten into trouble for kicking someone's ass either, I believe it's the...3rd? At least it was a man this time.

Yay happy to see Geo, BOE, and Ginn on the Chargers' forum.

Norv went into a little detail about the use of English the other day: While he's in he will be an OLB along with Merriman, while Phillips will get moved around in some exotic packages. I think it will really work because Phillips' is probably the quickest of the 3 off the snap, especially with his hand on the ground. If nothing else, a rotation ensures our pass rush won't be entirely gassed by the 4th quarter. Norv also mentioned that he will be given to Ron Rivera and "let loose" which is always fun to hear.

Edit: What does this pick mean for Jyles Tucker and Anwan Applewhite? Although they clearly are behind English, both of them have shown flashes of playmaking skills as 3-4 OLBs and it would be a shame to see them lose all their snaps.

In the sense that this was overall a pretty weak draft, it's impossible to complain about a blue chip pass rusher, especially after watching borderline insane amounts of film/interviews of the guy. *whistles nonchalantly.

I can't say I'm entirely over passing on Michael Oher, but our biggest weakness last year by far was an inability to pressure the QB and it's been proven quite a bit lately that you can never have too many pass rushers.
Apparently Jeromey Clary has gained a bunch of weight and has been looking good this offseason, and not playing next to a broken-down Goff anymore should help him out as well, but I have to see it on the field before I'm really convinced.

Last edited by CC.SD : 04-30-2009 at 06:10 PM.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post

Edit: What does this pick mean for Jyles Tucker and Anwan Applewhite? Although they clearly are behind English, both of them have shown flashes of playmaking skills as 3-4 OLBs and it would be a shame to see them lose all their snaps.
I think Tucker had a golden opportunity last year and could not capitalize on it. Granted he was injured for a little while, is still young and still transitioning to OLB. Nonetheless, he didn't show enough to garner the trust of management in case Merriman or Phillips goes down, which is a likely scenario seeing as both have missed plenty of time due to injury. Some analyst said that Phillips and Tucker both showed they are only "guys" without Merriman. I don't agree with this, but it is also not entirely off the mark. I think Tucker was rushed a little too fast and had expectations that were too high after ending the previous season hot. He is still pretty raw and needs more time to develop. Because of this, I think drafting English will actually help him. He won't have the same responsibilities, will have more opportunity to develop and will also be fresher when he comes into games.

As far as Applewhite, I don't think he even really had a chance to make the team with Merriman coming back. While he is a fairly good athlete, he didn't impress very much last year. He was lost in coverage and barely provided a push.

With all that said, it is going to be a great season if our pass rush returns to its previously great levels. I think Shawne's return alone would have been enough, but adding English to the mix brings back nostalgic memories of the former Merriman/Foley/Phillips pass rush trio. Merriman's presence will free up Phillips and Castillo again to hopefully wreak the havoc of previous years. I'm really excited to see what having him him across from English will mean for the rook. English was the center of attention at all time's for opposing offenses in college, so I'm anxious to see how he fairs in constant one on one match-ups in the NFL. Also having Phillips in a rover role at times with the attention being focused on the outside is also going to be really exciting for the interior push.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 AM    (permalink
bolts2388
Rookie

bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bolts2388 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ron Rivera Interview on XX1090am Sports Radio.
04/29/09

LINK

Imagine the defensive schemes with the return of Shawne Merriman along with Shaun Phillips and #1 pick Larry English. The Chargers defensive coordinator discussed how he envisions improving the pass rush this year.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

I think we all liked Tucker's potential, but he just didn't show that he could finish, and that seems to be English's forte. Oh, well. A depth move. Not bad, but not too sexy, either.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHulka View Post
I think we all liked Tucker's potential, but he just didn't show that he could finish, and that seems to be English's forte. Oh, well. A depth move. Not bad, but not too sexy, either.
I donno, I think it might not have been our biggest need but IMO pass rushers are always teh sexy when the QB goes down or throws a pick.

Also; Last offseason there was a whole lot of buzz about the packages RR was developing featuring Merriman, Phillips, and...Tucker.

Obviously when Tucker failed to step up (not to mention SM's injury putting a kibosh on the whole thing), they moved on, but clearly didn't get those packages out of their system. English is here to finish the job.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:37 AM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default If AJ Hit the jackpot again

middle of the first round pass rushers are good value, its such a coveted commodity...many people thought it was a reach, but its excellent leverage with Merriman....and a high level replacement.

No one will ever replace Merriman, but English can be an adequate replacement down the road, while he learns the NFL game the next year or two with Lights Out still a Charger.

I would have liked Oher better, but Clarey can be anotheryear stop gap before a talented young mauler gets added to the mix. You can find legit starters late in round 1 for RT types.

Its easier to get RT types than Pass Rushers....so AJ went with the tougher to find commodity.
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote