Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

all about production and he hasn't brought it to the table

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if he can improve his hands i think he can be a poor mans bernard berrian but will never be worth the #7 pick
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:19 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden
What is most of your feeling's on Braylon Edwards, the other receiver taken very high in that draft?
I can't believe he couldn't corral that hail mary pass for a touchdown. He juggled the ball like TO, but I don't remember who they were playing, but it was bad :shock:
It was against pittsburgh which makes it about 5,000 times worse, but the ball was tipped to him, and his momentum was taking him away from the ball, and his one foot was out of bounds anyways, it really wasn't his fault, frye through the ball way out of bounds and jurevicius made a hell of an effort to swat it back to where there was any chance of it being caught.

EDIT : another game I was at, and it was the most depressing game I have ever left, there were like 5,000 Steelers fans, and I wanted to deck some of them... They were being ass holes pregame, then shut up until our team had a meltdown in the 4th quarter.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:12 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbikowski_9
I think coming into is third year and with TJ's cannon arm he might come good, he will be much better suited to the slot and can excell if he can ajust to the ball better.
Why? He could not catch Brad Johnson's catchable floaters. Why would he be better at catching balls with more zip on them?

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:47 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden
What is most of your feeling's on Braylon Edwards, the other receiver taken very high in that draft?
Leading up to and at the time of the 2005 Draft, I said that the San Francisco 49ers should have taken Edwards over Alex Smith. Reasoning was that Edwards, over a 3-year period, would rank much closer to the best wide receiver prospect than Smith would to the best quarterback prospect. The 49ers had neither, and the theoretical potential of having to "settle" with Edwards wouldn't be near as bad as it would with Smith because of the critical importance of the quarterback position. And history has given us clear examples of successful franchises where they selected the franchise wide receiver a year or two before the franchise quarterback, allowing the WR time to understand the game which gives the young QB a viable option to depend on once he steps in.

When you're as bad as the 49ers were, the restoration process well extends beyond the year's class and in that case was at least 3 years' worth; the entire basis for that scenario is acquiring the best player available (BPA) as the complete deficiency in talent can't direct otherwise.

And right now, looking at the 2005-2007 draft class, I'd put Edwards behind only Calvin Johnson as the top WR prospect even though Edwards has some mouthing off and underperformance issues at the moment (no one would have ranked Marques Colston higher than Edwards at the time of). Meanwhile Smith wouldn't even make the Top 5 in quarterback prospects thanks to the top tiers of the 2006 and 2007 quarterback classes.

The 49ers could have made out with Braylon Edwards and Matt Leinart in consecutive years, instead they settled with Alex Smith and Vernon Davis. At least the Mike Nolan hire was the best move the franchise made in years.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He Still Has A Chance To Bring Ressurct His Carrer

Baltimore: 7-4
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Here's why he sucks. I, an out of shape comedian with the atheletic skills of a gerbil, could catch more passes than him.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:24 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
The 49ers could have made out with Braylon Edwards and Matt Leinart in consecutive years, instead they settled with Alex Smith and Vernon Davis. At least the Mike Nolan hire was the best move the franchise made in years.
I dont think you can look at it like that. At 05, the best pick was to get QB Smith.

Going into that season, the only other options at QB were

Cody Pickett- a 7th round pick
Tim Rattay- a 7th round pick
Ken Dorsey- a 7th round pick

None of those are guys you want starting 16 games a season. We tried that, and it got us a number 1 pick. Pickett is already out of the league and the other 2 are career backups.

Smith was the best QB in that class, and the 49ers needed a franchise QB. It looks good in hindsight, but you cant go into a season without a clear option at the quaterback position. I doubt nolan was planning the 06 draft at that time, thinking he would need a QB.

Also, i recall nolan saying he liked cutler the best. So it would have been cutler over leinart. Frankly, id like cutler over alex smith right now. However, I dont see what the problem with smith/davis is anyways. I think it will be a fine duo.

Also, i understand the BPA. I like that method. But he wanted to build the franchise, and you cant build a franchise with a WR.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 02-25-2007 at 10:27 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say he's getting close to bust status. He is getting open, mainly because of how fast he is, but his catching is horrible. If he can greatly improve his catching then maybe he will turn into a solid player, but if not he will be a huge bust.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

He has already passed bust status. If he rebounds, it will be one of the best comebacks I've maybe ever seen out of a prospect.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 02-25-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bust status? The guy hasn't even played his third year in the league, when receivers have been known to flourish.

It's not as if the guy was polished coming out of college, on top of that.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is what happens when you draft on forty times

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
Bust status? The guy hasn't even played his third year in the league, when receivers have been known to flourish.
Have fun waiting for Williamson to "flourish" in his third season.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I didn't feel right letting Troy get off so easy with my previous post. So here goes. Hope I don't miss anything:

He has a terrible attitude and is lazy. His rookie season he got benched for pulling himself out of practice without telling coaches; he was in Tice's doghouse for the rest of the year. This year he sulked and cried about returning kicks. You could read his body language and tell he wasn't going 100%. He had a poor attitude after he was demoted, and Childress said so himself. He had such a poor attitude and play so pisspoor, that Childress deactivated him the week 17 in what was basically an exhibition game; a game that would have been nice to get him some experience.

He cannot adjust to the football. He is clumsy, uncoordinated. I could walk through my local park and see kids playing flag football who are more polished than Williamson.

This season the ball hit many different body parts of his wall trying to make a catch. A ball bounced off his face mask while trying to make a catch, of his helmet, his shoulder, his chest, etc etc. He doesn't just have a case of the dropsies, he literally embarrasses himself when trying to catch the ball.

He is a stick figure. He is one of the weakest players in the NFL. If he does happen to catch the ball, God forbid, he goes down at the slightest of contact. He is terrible getting off of the line. He probably couldn't beat the jam of any given high school cornerback.

Terrible route runner. He runs sloppy routes and rounds off his routes. He has good straight line speed but that's about it; he isn't that fast when he has to make cuts. Terrible body control. He gets going and can't stop.

Hope this helps.
Funny, accurate, and sad. It's bad enough when you get a guy who tries and can't catch but when you get a guy with poor attitude and gets benched by 2 different H.C.'s well....thenyou know you've invested way to much.
I still hope his attitude and work ethic get turned around by him....cuz he's the only one who can change his game....but with every passing week during the season I saw his effort level drop game by game...to the point where he was benched a good deal at the end of the season.
Right now it's just wishful thinking on my part that he can be productive.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:26 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Leading up to and at the time of the 2005 Draft, I said that the San Francisco 49ers should have taken Edwards over Alex Smith. Reasoning was that Edwards, over a 3-year period, would rank much closer to the best wide receiver prospect than Smith would to the best quarterback prospect. The 49ers had neither, and the theoretical potential of having to "settle" with Edwards wouldn't be near as bad as it would with Smith because of the critical importance of the quarterback position. And history has given us clear examples of successful franchises where they selected the franchise wide receiver a year or two before the franchise quarterback, allowing the WR time to understand the game which gives the young QB a viable option to depend on once he steps in.

When you're as bad as the 49ers were, the restoration process well extends beyond the year's class and in that case was at least 3 years' worth; the entire basis for that scenario is acquiring the best player available (BPA) as the complete deficiency in talent can't direct otherwise.

And right now, looking at the 2005-2007 draft class, I'd put Edwards behind only Calvin Johnson as the top WR prospect even though Edwards has some mouthing off and underperformance issues at the moment (no one would have ranked Marques Colston higher than Edwards at the time of). Meanwhile Smith wouldn't even make the Top 5 in quarterback prospects thanks to the top tiers of the 2006 and 2007 quarterback classes.

You have no idea how many times I've pondered this exact same scenario.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote