Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-01-2009, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Minor League Football

I didn't put this in the Fantasy Section because it's NOT a 'draft players' sort of thing. Anyway...

Let's presume the NFL creates a 'Minor League' of sorts to play a fall schedule. 32 teams, each an affiliate of an NFL franchise. The players are pretty much the fringe- undrafted players, players formerly from other leagues like the CFL, AFL, and elsewhere... maybe even a handful of free agents who can't get a place on an actual NFL roster (though there will be a limit to the number of players on any given team that have more than three years experience in the NFL or this minor league.)

Now let's presume the lot of you are given the chance of establishing a franchise in this league. Not a city with an active NFL presence though- and Los Angeles is beyond consideration. Everything else goes though.

So this thread basically involves you- assuming ANYBODY is interested- picking a city/town and name, along with the NFL franchise you are 'affiliated' with. Other options are the uniform colors you chose for the team in question- heck, you can design the entire uni if you so choose.

NOTE: Presume every NFL franchise can afford the minor league affiliate- whether by real cheap budgets or by sufficient income. This is imaginary after all.
Zycho32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think theres a league in talks of being some what of a Farm League for the NFL. I dunno if it's going through but after I complete my two at ISU I'm gonna be looking to continue no doubt and this would most definitely help me out.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 PM    (permalink
vatech=accdomination
All-Pro

vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are a couple that were in the works, I know one was looking into my area before the season got cancelled

FULL INBOX +REP TO SEND MESSAGE.....

Last edited by vatech=accdomination : 05-01-2009 at 12:43 PM.
vatech=accdomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
I think theres a league in talks of being some what of a Farm League for the NFL. I dunno if it's going through but after I complete my two at ISU I'm gonna be looking to continue no doubt and this would most definitely help me out.

If it doesn't happen, come up and play in Canada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatech=accdomination View Post
There are a couple that were in the works, I know one was looking into my area before the season got cancelled
Really? Why or how exactly did they all die prematurely?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:53 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
If it doesn't happen, come up and play in Canada :)
haha believe it or not.. that's one of my goals.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zycho32 View Post
Really? Why or how exactly did they all die prematurely?
The season was canceled cuz of the economy IIRC. Fringe sports like minor league football and such really rely on bored people with extra money to spend. Same thing happened to the Arena league, and in the next year or two it'll probably happen to the warm weather NHL franchises if they're not careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
vatech=accdomination
All-Pro

vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vatech=accdomination is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.ungleague.com/
This was the more recent one coming to VA

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Ame...ootball_League
This was where Bryan Randall was going to play

Those were the ones I knew about, both were cancelled due to the economy.

FULL INBOX +REP TO SEND MESSAGE.....
vatech=accdomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think college is the minor leagues

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah. a minor league system would basicly kill the sec. A whole bunch of players would come out as soon as they could. Now they know it would kill their career, then it would prolly be a good career move since they are able to train full time(besides that they will get paid anyway).

I think there is enough money and high placed people that will protect college football from that.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:17 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

I'm just gonna put together a Minor League Championship team..

QB - Quincy Carter
HB - He Hate Me
WILDCAT - Jared Lorenzen
OL - Who cares
DE - Hunter Cantwell, since he knows what the QB is thinking.
LB - Jared Lorenzen
K - Mark Sanchez, since he's Mexican and all.

wOOT1!!!11 Chaaaaampionshhhiiip!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Yeah, about the only way the Minors could survive without getting into a futile war against college football is to have the same restrictions that the NFL does; three years minimum in college football.

Some 'adjustments' may have to be made for players who pretty much CAN'T get into college football to begin with, but all in all it needs to have the same NFL standards of conduct. This pretty much ensures the talent levels are kept rather low in order to keep costs down to a manageable level.

As for economics, the 'objective' of such a league would have to be a combonation of two options;

1. Market in areas well beyond the realm of present NFL franchises. A cheap Minor Franchise might be small enough for some cities in the 'voids' to take in.

2. Find an affilate city close to the actual NFL franchise you are affiliated to. These teams would get a 'ripple effect' of interest in fan bases now that they have underdog prospects they can watch and comb over like the die hards they are in order to find the next diamonds to star on the Big Name franchises. This would probably allow Minor Franchises to exist in places like Texas or California or New York.

But above all- they HAVE to be cheap. They won't be like the USFL, which was a competing league that originally played in the spring. Of course, everybody knows what happened when teams went away from their original battle plan.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The average football career is around 4 years... minor leagues work well for baseball because players can stay there for the course of their entire career with stints in the majors, up until they retire and a baseball player's shelf life is much longer than a football player's. A minor league NFL would not work, because one their wouldn't be all too many fans, there would be no point when the NFL draft comes why would a team need another 56 men on the roster, and then all the minor leaguers need to be paid as well, if anything the roster sizes should increase a bit but thats it.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
The average football career is around 4 years... minor leagues work well for baseball because players can stay there for the course of their entire career with stints in the majors, up until they retire and a baseball player's shelf life is much longer than a football player's. A minor league NFL would not work, because one their wouldn't be all too many fans, there would be no point when the NFL draft comes why would a team need another 56 men on the roster, and then all the minor leaguers need to be paid as well, if anything the roster sizes should increase a bit but thats it.
A few points to make about your comments;

1. The longetivity 'average' is rather skewed when comparing baseball to football because of the available jobs. Baseball has multiple levels of Minor Leagues for a player to advance through. This allows for LOTS of Draft Rounds and available space for players to have careers that can stretch for a decade or longer without reaching the majors. Football doesn't have a Minor League system to speak of, and jobs are rabidly fought for at many opportunities, which leads to many players dismissed after a few years or less due to insufficient talent or performance. If you added the number of available jobs via Minor Leagues, that longetivity would increase.

2. It probably would take a while for actual fan bases to develop. Again, this dictates a real small budget to compensate for initially small returns. But you're underestimating places that currently do not have saturated or even tested markets for sports venues. Put a team in a place that is practically DEVOID of other sports venues, and gaining fans wouldn't be as hard.

3. The NFL Draft wouldn't be changed- or I should say, shouldn't be changed. After the initial 7 rounds, all teams pretty much sign whatever UDFA are available. The only difference would be the quantity of those signed. Put this way; after the first few years, the number of UDFA would still be dramatically decreased due to a fairly stabilized roster.

4. Of course players would be paid in the Minors. The difference would be they'd have to be paid on a lesser scale than their NFL Counterparts, perhaps similar to what Baseball does. The main difference being the people added to the Minors wouldn't be able to negotiate major bonuses because they would've been drafted in the Draft to begin with if their talent level were good enough. Something on the scale of what AFL players were earning, or perhaps less?