Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
Thats funny, when they wore those uniforms most people hated them and wanted them to go back to the 1968 Jets style unis which Parcells brought back
Those are so much better than the Titan uni's. At least that uniform looks like the Jets.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself....
Why would I be ashamed of myself? I pride myself on being a Jets fan. I live amongst Philadelphia fans and hear about how this is the Eagles year all the time and it makes me more proud to be a Jets fan. I think you misunderstood what i was saying, obviously I realize I am watching the J-E-T-S, I thought that went without saying. I just meant that they are in no way near our colors for the past 45 years or so and only resemble a team name we carried for 5 years. The only Titans in NY are the professional lacrosse team.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post

I don't love them, but for two or three games a year I could handle them. Better than the Titans IMO for the reasons Crickett outlined above.
I liked them too, they were great when they played on natural grass in Shea and got dirty every week, once they moved to the Meadowlands they looked very synthetic and were not the same. They eventually changed to all white for home games for a majority of the mid to late 80s.

I have some old games from Shea on DVD and the unis look pretty good IMO.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have signed 17 UDFA.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...afted-rookies/

I could easily see 5 or 6 of these guys make the team.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-01-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
We have signed 17 UDFA.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...afted-rookies/

I could easily see 5 or 6 of these guys make the team.
Agreed, some of the guys could of easily been drafted. I really like Cook from the other USC. He could be a solid special teams guy as well as a back up safety.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mark Sanchez was impressive at his first Jets practice today, but it would have been a surprise if he was just average. He always is thinking ahead. He's a young man who has continually excelled in preparation throughout his life.

Even though this is just a rookie minicamp, Sanchez called his unit together for a talk even before they actually touched the field.

“There were no meetings yesterday but everybody got a playbook,” said rookie Jets head coach Rex Ryan. “Well, I guess there was some guy that we had on offense who got the entire offense together and installed the day’s offense. I guess you can figure out who that was.”

Six days ago, the Jets traded up in the first round to grab Sanchez with the No. 5 overall selection. And less than a week later, he was calling his own number and immediately set the weekend tone.

“I’ve only know the dude for less than 24 hours," said rookie receiver Britt Davis from Northern Illinois, "but we had the chance to meet last night as an offense and it was just the players. We met in the hotel. And just the way he commands the offense and commands the knowledge of all of us — he was in charge, he was drawing stuff up on the board and it was precise. Learning from a player will allow you to definitely catch on a lot faster.”

And with more than 50 media members in attendance at today’s first session, Sanchez didn’t blink. The heralded rookie took the majority of reps, displaying good zip his passes, nice touch and tremendous feet.

“It’s difficult when you first come in and it’s a new system. You want to just try to speak the language as soon as possible and I’m trying to get all the terminology down,” Sanchez said during the noon hour. “Me being tough on myself, I wanted it right every time, but it’s not always that way, especially the first weekend. But this is a very successful first day, so it was a good experience.”

Due to threatening weather, the Jets practiced inside their fieldhouse at the Atlantic Health Training Center, so Sanchez had a controlled environment to toss the ball around. But he was also working with many players who don’t know this offensive system.

“Not throwing any picks, that’s a big deal. That’s a win for a quarterback any day. But we didn’t have any fumbles, either, and no false-start penalties,” he said. “Everybody was in tune and in sync. We moved the ball pretty well and had some big completions. There are always a couple of plays you want back, but I’ll see them on film and correct them.”

During 7-on-7, Sanchez unofficially completed 10 of 15 passes. That included a number of checkdowns, but there was a pretty rope to Marcus Henry (which probably would have resulted in a 60-yard TD) on a seam. Earlier in the morning session during 1-on-1 work, Sanchez got CB Marquice Cole to bite on a pump fake, giving WR Paul Raymond plenty of separation, and they nicely hooked up for a long score..

“It’s clear that he’s a talented player,” Raymond said of Sanchez. “He has a strong arm and a nice ball. It’s good just to be here getting some work in the offense along with everybody else, getting some work in and getting better as a team.”

There were a couple of occasions when Sanchez was throwing a little inside on out routes. Ryan wants to see those balls in a different location. Otherwise, there will be turnovers.

“On those comebacks now, you have to throw the ball more to the outside, more so on this level, especially because it will be a boomerang and it will come right back at you,” he said.

You know Sanchez will make the adjustments necessary because he is a perfectionist. At an early age he learned from his father, Nick Sanchez, that he would only succeed if he could deal with adversity, and the Jets are already challenging the former Trojan.

“When you would shoot free throws or you were running routes, my dad would hold up fingers and make you see the fingers to go through your reads correctly,” he said. “[Brian] Schottenheimer was holding up fingers over here, knowing that we’re going to our second read and we have to drop back and look at our first read to make it real, and then say 'OK, he’s holding up five' and throw to the backside.”

After watching Sanchez throw for a couple of minutes, you can appreciate his attention to detail. Even if there is no defender in play, he looks off an imaginary safety in one direction before coming back and delivering a toss in another.

In addition to calling an offensive unit meeting last night, Sanchez hosted an individual practice in his own room.

“I’m practicing play calls in the mirror last night in the hotel, just so I can see it and hear what it sounds like to me, and just keep reviewing, keep studying and bring guys along with me,” he said.

Don’t clear out a space in Canton just yet for Sanchez. The regular season doesn’t begin until September and there will be so much to prove even before then. But he’s made a wonderful first impression with his new team.

“He’s just himself out there. With all the cameras and with all the media and with everything else here, it never bothered him one bit,” Ryan said. “He’s just stepping in there and he doesn’t know any different, and that’s why I think we have the right guy.”
From our website.

I GOT CHILLS :D
Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I know its still very early but maybe I was wrong on Sanchez. He looks like the real deal.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I know its still very early but maybe I was wrong on Sanchez. He looks like the real deal.
To be fair, that's how it always feels. It's how I feel now. We'll certainly see though, hopefully he plays out. His charisma and work ethic are certainly helping to sell me on his ability to pan out though.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:22 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

same story basically

that sounds very very impressive

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big Star Ledger article today about Jamal Westerman. Rex Ryan has has only good things to say about him adjusting to playing in coverage. Basically, he is currently proving me wrong when I said I can't imagine him playing in coverage. I guess I couldn't imagine it because he had never done it before.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Big Star Ledger article today about Jamal Westerman. Rex Ryan has has only good things to say about him adjusting to playing in coverage. Basically, he is currently proving me wrong when I said I can't imagine him playing in coverage. I guess I couldn't imagine it because he had never done it before.
Yea, I read that article to. They said he has looked better at OLB through the first 4 practices than Gholston did last year through his first 4 practices. If he keeps playing like this he'll make the team. We need some scarlet blood anyways.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to see Westerman make this team, apparently I didn't give him enough credit either. Great to get a Rutgers guy on the final roster, and he seems like a good player and a good guy. UDFA's are always fun to root for, Westerman is no different and quickly becoming one of my favorites this year.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we really stock up on the LBs. Never can have too many in the 3-4. Still intrigued about Murrell...
Old 05-03-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is semi random, but a friend of mine called me a few minutes after sanchez got drafted suggesting that he be called the Sanchize. I have forgotten to pass it along until now. During a google search I noticed that it was being discussed as a nickname for Sanchez. I personally love the name and hope that it catches on.

As for linebackers, I would love to finally have a rutgers guy on the Jets. Im so rabid about my love of Rutgers that I'm holding out hope for Renkhart considering the extra open roster spots this year. In terms of other holdovers from last year, I like Murrell and Trusnik.

Last edited by josh07039 : 05-03-2009 at 09:18 PM.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I hope we really stock up on the LBs. Never can have too many in the 3-4. Still intrigued about Murrell...
I think Murrell and Westerman may end up battling it out for a roster spot. Could be wrong though. Liked Trusnik as well, and Cummings. We have a lot of younger, UDFA type linebackers who are really intriguing and all should have a great chance to get roster spots, so I'm sure whoever ends up rising to the top of that will remain very intriguing and could have a long-term impact on the defense.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
This is semi random, but a friend of mine called me a few minutes after sanchez got drafted suggesting that he be called the Sanchize. I have forgotten to pass it along until now. During a google search I noticed that it was being discussed as a nickname for Sanchez. I personally love the name and hope that it catches on.

As for linebackers, I would love to finally have a rutgers guy on the Jets. Im so rabid about my love of Rutgers that I'm holding out hope for Renkhart considering the extra open roster spots this year. In terms of other holdovers from last year, I like Murrell and Trusnik.
I heard some calling him "Franchez". I don't know though. I'm of the opinion that quarterbacks really shouldn't have a nickname, but if he's going to get one, anything beats "Dirty".
Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I heard some calling him "Franchez". I don't know though. I'm of the opinion that quarterbacks really shouldn't have a nickname, but if he's going to get one, anything beats "Dirty".
Dirty's an old HS nickname of mine, if it wouldn't be a complete waste of 100 bucks I'd get a personalized #6 jersey that says DIRTY on the back for kicks. Agree that's probably not the best nickname for him though lol. Franchez and Sanchize are both solid, but I think Franchez rolls off the tongue a little better. Both are a little premature though, I hope he ends up living up to them. Otherwise his nickname could quickly become Dirty.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:39 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Dirty's an old HS nickname of mine, if it wouldn't be a complete waste of 100 bucks I'd get a personalized #6 jersey that says DIRTY on the back for kicks. Agree that's probably not the best nickname for him though lol. Franchez and Sanchize are both solid, but I think Franchez rolls off the tongue a little better. Both are a little premature though, I hope he ends up living up to them. Otherwise his nickname could quickly become Dirty.
derza
dirty
derzmatic
dirty derza
dirty derzmatic
derz
dirty derz
Im sure there were a million more combos that I am forgetting. Im shocked when I realize I never called you derzalicious.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I stay away from nicknames, last thing i want is for the NFL to be like the NBA where every single player who sees the floor gets a nickname. That drives me crazy.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:01 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
I stay away from nicknames, last thing i want is for the NFL to be like the NBA where every single player who sees the floor gets a nickname. That drives me crazy.
The only nick name I am interesting in calling him is Super Bowl Champion.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:12 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
derza
dirty
derzmatic
dirty derza
dirty derzmatic
derz
dirty derz
Im sure there were a million more combos that I am forgetting. Im shocked when I realize I never called you derzalicious.
derp and stuff with a mc in front of it have become popular recently for whatever reason. I believe everyone's favorite curly blonde haired Italian came up with that one. mcderz, mcderp. I'd be down for pulling derzalicious into the mix though. But I basically learned to respond to anything with a D and a R or a D and a Z in it.

ANYWAYS on to significant stuff. PFT is reporting a possible Thomas Jones and other stuff for Braylon Edwards swap. Seems like speculation from the Cleveland end. Frankly, while I'd end up loving the trade eventually, I have reservations. Depends what the something else is of course. But still, right now we'd be replacing Jones with Shonn Greene, and while I love Shonn Greene his issues in the passing game (protection, hands) worry me a bit.

The other concern is Edwards seems a little too focused on things off the field (money, acting) and I wonder if he'd just end up being a bust here. If it's Jones and a conditional pick based on performance I guess I could dig it, and that's probably what Tannenbaum will try to pull, but I don't think it's a slam dunk either.

EDIT:

The "other stuff" in the deal should and probably would include Brad Smith. Still don't think it happens and I'd have reservations, but I'd bet if it happens he's in there. Seems like Smith is the most likely candidate to be the Brett Ratliff of our receivers in Mangini's eyes.

Last edited by derza222 : 05-04-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Very interesting article on Braylon Edwards.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...the-big-apple/

Thomas Jones for Braylon Edwards?

Im all for that trade if it happens. It gives us a true #1 WR threat in Edwards. I dont think we would miss Jones that much. We have Thunder and Lightning in Shonn Greene and Leon Washington. In my opinion this would make our team a lot better.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-04-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Because I really like several WRs that could potentially be in next year's draft, I don't know how excited I'd be. Plus, I'd hate to see us give up future draft picks. I'd rather them just overpay in draft choices for Thomas Jones.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I dont want to give up picks either. I also like a couple of WR's in next years draft but by then we may have other needs and we can go in another direction.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-04-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One of the thing the Jets FO emphasized during the draft was paying their bills now. They didn't want to trade future picks when they were trading up during the draft and I don't see why they'd be willing to give them up now.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote