Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 AM    (permalink
ShoeLB50
Rookie

ShoeLB50 needs more cowbell.

By pick:

Stafford: A... Good pick had to pick the potential franchise QB

Pettigrew: C-... Passed on Oher a future franchise LT nothing against the guy we did take because i think he is a great TE; but you dont pass on a great LT when you have a horrible offensive line and a brand new 80 million dollar QB. And I dont care how good of a blocker he is because its the LT who is going to be consistantly responsible for that blindside.

Delmas: C... Missed out on a chance to stamp our defense with a familiar face and identity in Rey or JL... Love Delmas game but we had bigger needs at MLB. I just keep thinking about that horrible run defense and missing out on a big thumper at MLB.

Levy: C... Bad value and this is really a boom or bust type pick. Will he be another Alex Lewis or Keith Bullock? I just dont think this was a great spot to pick this guy if you liked him and its a gamble drafting a undersized OLB to play MLB without drafting some more help in the middle.
Williams: B-... WR really? so many needs at this point but we are staying true to BPA... Ill be alot more happy with this pick if Linehan finds creative ways to get this guy the ball and his speed translates well on special teams. Not a bad reciever to pick if you need one.
Hill: A+... Great value one of my late round guys... could have a Shaun Rogers type effect in a few years if he keeps working hard.
Brown: D+... Not a fan but hopefully he turns out to be a great return man and 3rd down RB and proves me wrong!
Murtha: A-... A good late round project.
Follett: A... Love this pick one of my guys i had been yelling at the TV for a few rounds to take. At the very least he will be a great ST player but i like his potential to be an effective blitzer in this scheme.
Grontkowski: C+... Good athlete he just might make the team! Didnt need another TE tho.

Overall: B-... I like almost all of these players but I would have picked quite a few different guys and do not like how we did not address LT/MLB when we had great prospects staring us in the face. Wouldnt mind seeing a corner but im not too upset given we took a saftey and henry will most likely be playing corner now. DT was pretty weak this year and I really like Hill too. Just didnt do a good job of addressing needs but i guess its going to be a few years anyways. I was pretty upset on the first day but the second day ended up with a few sleeper picks i liked and i eased up with drafting the BPA and am happy to have great players like Pettigrew and Delmas anyways.

"God only put one pair of feet like that on a human being."
- Fritz Shurmur, Defensive Coordinator, Green Bay Packers
ShoeLB50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A-

Stafford is a franchise quarterback and he fills our biggest need. Pettigrew was the best player available at #20 and also filled a huge need. He may not have been my personal #1 choice, but he was in my top three. Delmas is an impact player in the secondary who might be able to play either safety position. Day one was an A+.

I think they could've gotten Levy a little later on, but it seems that Schwartz likes his fit as a middle linebacker in our scheme. It remains to be seen how good he is. Derrick Williams was great value at #82. Although I don't like him as a #1 or #2, I think he can be a good #3 and a great kick returner, something we desperately needed. Sammie Lee Hill is an intriguing prospect in the 4th round. His upside is absolutely ridiculous, but he may have a low floor.

Ultimately, the Lions used their first eight picks to fill needs. It may not have been in the order that some fans wanted, but they did bring in some impact talent.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 PM    (permalink
MagicStick20
Rookie

MagicStick20 is a cocksman.MagicStick20 is a cocksman.MagicStick20 is a cocksman.

I think all in all the lions draft was an A- or B+
MagicStick20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 PM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Aside from Sammie Lee Hill and Lydon Murtha, I don't think we built the TRENCHES!
Do you understand that there is a draft next year?? Did you really believe that every position of need was going to be addressed?? Their were two positions on the entire field that did not need to be addressed. WR, and Kicker. That is it, every other spot needed to be upgraded and that is what the team did. We will be picking in the top 5 next year so we will be able to grab that big time Tackle. Don't worry.
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor8 View Post
Do you understand that there is a draft next year?? Did you really believe that every position of need was going to be addressed?? Their were two positions on the entire field that did not need to be addressed. WR, and Kicker. That is it, every other spot needed to be upgraded and that is what the team did. We will be picking in the top 5 next year so we will be able to grab that big time Tackle. Don't worry.
WMD was being funny. All weekend he used that cliche phrase because he knew how much it annoyed me, haha.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The fact that you could have had Stafford at 1 and Oher at 21 or so and you didn't makes this draft a total failure. Not really, but Pettigrew is really just an offensive lineman who can go down field sometimes, I see no reason not to go Oher if you take a rookie QB whose supposed to be the face of the franchise.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
WMD was being funny. All weekend he used that cliche phrase because he knew how much it annoyed me, haha.
Maybe because it was all the mocking you did.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh15 View Post
The fact that you could have had Stafford at 1 and Oher at 21 or so and you didn't makes this draft a total failure. Not really, but Pettigrew is really just an offensive lineman who can go down field sometimes, I see no reason not to go Oher if you take a rookie QB whose supposed to be the face of the franchise.
I really believe that Schwartz/Mayhew have a realistic plan in place. Imagine what the offense will look like after the 2nd draft. They will draft their LT, have their Franchise QB, Kevin Smith going into year three, along with CJesus and a solid TE. They realized early that this is a multiple draft rebuilding process.
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Maybe because it was all the mocking you did.
I'm great at mocking things.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Besides the obvious answer of I for incomplete

Stafford: A, took balls the GM is thinking long term, as long as we don't follow up with a WR next year which I don't think we will. Calvin won't allow it.

Pettigrew: A-. He was great value, he's a stud and he may not be a trench but he's a trench aid. Helps on multiple levels. Double teaming good DEs, run blocking and a very nice safety valve for our franchise QB on top of it all. Think more than

Delmas: D for Death to anyone going over the middle so therefore A. Fit perfectly, aids in both run defense,tackling and pass defense. Safeties can make an impact. Lay the wood, decent runs won't be huge 40 yard runs with Delmas and Bullocks back there.

DeAndre Levy: C. We'll see on this if Schwartz/Mayhew know what they are doing. I really wanted Jarron Gilbert, but the trade down allowing us to later get a 330 lb DT is very nice. Switching him to the middle makes him a project but we're taking our lumps this year any way. If he works out they are geniuses in the front office. If Hill works out, its still worth the trade down. C also because Levy broke Joe Paternos leg and I want to Penn State.

Derrick Williams: A-. I want to Penn State, I know the guy is a game changer but I'm extremely biased. Helps in the return games which everyon complains about, is quick, did some wildcat things at Penn State, and is a pretty good receiver who could use some polishing on routes though.

Sammie Lee Hill: A. Schwartz said get bigger, 330 lbs in Round 4 is bigger. Project but its Round 4 and he has Grady to work behind this year.

Round 6: Unknown Aaron Brown, 3rd RB chance and kick return skills too.

Round 7: Unknown Murtha, I will call him Martha.
Round 7: Follett, good value.
Round 7: Other Tight End. Need two tight end sets. Shows they went BPA.

Overall A- but really an I. Mid terms are after this season and the final is in 3 years.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM    (permalink
ESPforMe
Rookie

ESPforMe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor8 View Post
I really believe that Schwartz/Mayhew have a realistic plan in place. Imagine what the offense will look like after the 2nd draft. They will draft their LT, have their Franchise QB, Kevin Smith going into year three, along with CJesus and a solid TE. They realized early that this is a multiple draft rebuilding process.
Yeah, x2

One would have to assume Oher is not a franshise LT in their eyes. If that's true you can take him there. Of course, we'll all see who's good and who is not in due time.
ESPforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was just making fun of the MLive losers.. but if it makes you feel better, you can think it had to do with you. That's cool.. I'll go along with it.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I was just making fun of the MLive losers.. but if it makes you feel better, you can think it had to do with you. That's cool.. I'll go along with it.
IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

C+/B-

I liked our later 2nd day picks, sans another TE in the 7th. Ive said multiple times on this board my opinion on Pettigrew being a luxury pick we didnt have the luxury to make.

I really thought trading down from the 1st pick in day 2 to then reach on an undersized backer whose position you are changing was a very bad move. I too would have preferred Jarron Gilbert many times over, he seems like a Schwartz esque Dlinemen with a lot of versatility too.

Im not sold on Delmas either, hopefully he doesnt join our growing list of underachieving 2nd round safeties.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Everyone is making a huge f'ing deal over taking a 7th round TE.

I wasn't aware that a 7th round pick could make or break a draft, haha.

Talk about petty haters.

(This comment is not directly in response to Nerv's comment above. I have heard that said all day long ).
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Detroit: A+

Sure, we still have to wait 3 years to find out if Stafford is any good but he fit Schwartz's scheme and the position was absolutely correct.
Pettigrew - In an exceptionally weak draft, he was a steal at #20. He is like having a 2nd LT playing on the field re: blocking and is a real comfort player who should really help Stafford develop and Schwartz schemes runs a lot of plays for his TE's if he follows Tennessee's style offense.
Delmas - Can he stand up as a SS over time because he puts his body on the line every play. If there weren't longevity concerns he is easily a 1st rounder.
In this weak draft, the rest of the picks are anybodies guess but I think they did their homework and we'll just have to see.
A+ ??
Wow, we must have 4 future Pro Bowlers and a Hall of Famer in that crop for a perfect grade from the Canadian. I'm playing with you ... optimism is one thing but really, an A+? ;o) Love your enthusiasm hope it sticks!
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Get used to passing on MLB's guys. Schwartz places little value on the position, so it's not a surprise to me that he passed over Maualuga for Delmas, who could be the Lions version of Chris Hope.

I liked the Pettigrew pick personally. It's smart to give a young QB an outlet like a talented TE, who will no doubt thrive with Calvin Johnson going deep. Not to mention, Pettigrew's ability as an inline blocker helps compensate a struggling OT.

Also, there's no such thing as a luxury pick. Over the past two Drafts, the Titans took Michael Griffin and Chris Johnson in the 1st RD - both were "luxury" picks. They both made the Pro Bowl last season. If the player helps the team, then it's not a luxury.

Besides, like half the Titans DEF hits FA next year. ;)

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!
Xio just confirmed she is a female.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM    (permalink
DETROIT BADBOY
Rookie

DETROIT BADBOY hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

B+ for the most part i really liked what we did the move i think we missed on was levy..i dont know to much about him so its not as much a riip on him as it is that we passed up kraig urbik for him i think most people agree urbik could step in and start right away..so i hate that pick.stafford and pettigrew are both good picks but when taken together there a great pick..i cant remember the lions having a real tight end and he will help all phases of the offense and also really help stafford as a young qb really needs good tight end.. look at aikman- novachek..rivers-gates..cutler-schefler..rothlisberger-miller.and when stafford is down in the redzone he can look to calvin and pettigrew as both are about 6'6 that will make it easy on him..so the pettigrew pick was amazing i think.i like the derrick williams pick to he is versitale and also a stafford protection pick..he might not help every game but he can make a game changing play every now and then..sammie lee hill is great pick in my opinion he was about the biggest dt there is and seems to be a athlete to.maybe not this year but after a year in a nfl program we can get his strength technique and conditioning to where he can realize his great potentional and help our whole front 7(maybe a not fat and lazy shaun rogers)..delmas is a nice pick also i know we passed on some good players but we did get the top safety in the draft..he reminds me of ed reed i know he is not quite the player..but there both hardhitting ball hawks with great instincts and have similar builds coming out and he will help stafford in practice everyday cause he is so competive(from what i hear).the lydon murtha pick i think is good too..i never seen him play but i read when healthy he was a 4 year starter at nebraska that speaks alot of him..and his measurables are elite so anytime you can get a elite athlete from a big time program in the 7th round you should..i know he is somewhat of a project but now that we have a legit nfl coaching staff maybe some of our picks will improve lol..im not gonna lie and say i know anything about the other picks but if we get anything from them it will be a upgrade over past years...i know we still have holes but we have to look at the big picture and realize its gonna take a few drafts to get us right.
DETROIT BADBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
Xio just confirmed she is a teenage female.
you got a free improvement!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote