Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Patriots interested in Michael Vick?

So far, a number of places are reporting that New England may be interested in Michael Vick.

"ESPN’s John Clayton released an article Tuesday afternoon and actually had New England listed as one of the teams that Michael Vick may end up with.Clayton says, 'If [Bill] Belichick is interested, he’d first have to convince his owner, Robert Kraft. That might be tough.'"

Pat Kirwan also mentioned the Patriots as one of the top destinations for Vick, as well as Peter King.

I personally would be very happy to see Vick in a Patriots jersey. With a top coach and a good group of leaders (Brady, Moss, Seymour, Bruschi), I think he'd be able to come in and be a nice contributor. I wouldn't put Brady's starting quarterback job in danger, but Vick could still be used as a Wildcat quarterback and in different spots (RB, WR?) designed to create mismatches. Here's a guy who's no doubt the most physically talented quarterback to ever take the field, with multiple Pro Bowl appearances and who's led his team to the NFC Championship, and he could play some other positions as well, who's not even 30 years old yet?

If Brady went down again, I would feel very comfortable with Vick coming in at quarterback - I don't think O'Connell will be ready for a while, and besides that, I think it's unanimous that Vick is the better football player. Assuming he'd sign a relatively cheap deal, I'd have no reservations about signing Vick.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:54 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

man that sure as hell would be weird seeing vick in a pats uniform. if he did sign with us, it would prolly only be a one year deal. very intruiging though, perfect wildcat formation qb

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:27 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You first need to trade for him.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We would have to trade for him, and I would love to see Vick on the Pats I'm not going to lie. But weren't the Falcons trying to shop him for a seventh rounder on draft day and there weren't any takers? I love Vick on the field and if some team gives him a second chance I would love for the Pats to do it depending on the price. He is so talented and he can make plays with his arm and his legs, he could be a nice player for us.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is not worth the trouble.

He's not good enough to run our offense as a true QB. He was never that good at QB as a passer regardless of drops.

The chances of Brady going down in consecutive years is very low, which means Vick is a #2 QB. I doubt he'll be interested in that even if he is coming out of prison as a more modest man. I also doubt he's going to sign a low ball contract and the Pats have too many big names to sign this/next year to bother wasting money on Vick.

Then there's the media circus that will follow him. No thanks. IMO, there's just no way all of that is worth it for a #2 QB. The only teams that should even be calling Vick are those teams w/no true #1 QB. Otherwise he's too much BS to deal with as a backup.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 PM    (permalink
starwitness
Rookie

starwitness hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Personally, I dont think Vick is a good fit in NE at all. Meaning, his only use would be an extremely controversial scout team QB to help deal with Miami's wild cat.

Remember, Miami wasnt running the wild cat b/c it was some genius scheme, they were running it out of desperation because they couldnt block anyone with Satele, Alleman, Ndukwe, Frye aka the four stooges on the interior line.

The Pats wont have have that problem, and if youre considering taking Tom Brady out of the game or from behind center for ANY reason then imo youre outhinking yourself. As a Fins fan, Id love to see Michael Vick come in and play some QB for you guys. Thats a play where Brady cant hurt us, and a play where Will Allen, or one of the CBs gets to take Brady and give him the business on the outside.
starwitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vick is out of football shape. It's unrealistic to think he'll be ready by week 1.
With that said- that's why I do love the idea of him coming in with us.
First off, I hate the idea of us using the wildcat. I like trick plays from time to time
but if you guys are saying to run it like the Dolphins do then I hate it.
I like the idea of Vick as a b/u QB but as a vicious 3rd/4th WR and can even line up as RB on passing downs and relieve Faulk from time to time.
It's a very limited role for his first year back but I feel like it's unrealistic to espect much more from him after being gone so long from the game

Also, no need to trade for him. Atlanta will eventually release him.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:42 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Vick is out of football shape. It's unrealistic to think he'll be ready by week 1.
With that said- that's why I do love the idea of him coming in with us.
First off, I hate the idea of us using the wildcat. I like trick plays from time to time
but if you guys are saying to run it like the Dolphins do then I hate it.
I like the idea of Vick as a b/u QB but as a vicious 3rd/4th WR and can even line up as RB on passing downs and relieve Faulk from time to time.
It's a very limited role for his first year back but I feel like it's unrealistic to espect much more from him after being gone so long from the game

Also, no need to trade for him. Atlanta will eventually release him.
If a team waits for the Falcons to release him a bidding war will start and his price will go way up. Realistically what a team will want is to give up a 6th or 7th and sign him to a low contract with performance triggers

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Reiss:

Quote:
No, I don't. I'd rather have Julian Edelman, to be honest.
Respect = lost.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:29 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The fact that you called Randy Moss a role model is absolutely absurd.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman8456 View Post
The fact that you called Randy Moss a role model is absolutely absurd.
By pretty much all accounts Randy Moss is one of the most friendly and popular players in New England's locker room. Media/fan perception of him and the Patriots organization's perception of him is very different.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the idea of Vick being a backup QB and a WR/RB type of player. Someone who can go out and make plays. I don't like him in a wildcat role (even though he would be awesome in that capacity) only because I hate taking the ball out of Brady's hands for so many reps a game. In the end I doubt that we sign him as Kraft has had a propensity for not wanting to bring guys with sever criminal backgrounds in.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:42 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
By pretty much all accounts Randy Moss is one of the most friendly and popular players in New England's locker room. Media/fan perception of him and the Patriots organization's perception of him is very different.
Couldn't agree more. From all accounts he is not only a leader on the field but also in the locker room. Plus when Brady went down last year a lot of people thought he would have completely shut down but he was a big part in Cassell's development despite the fact that Cassell's biggest weakness(the deep ball) was Moss' biggest strength

Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it'd be interesting to see what they could do with the guy. He definitely wouldn't be a QB, not even #2 (O'Connell will be fine, especially after spending the entire off-season & pre-season preparing as the starter). He'd be a WR, RB, RS, and general utility player. It'd be fun to watch... Wouldn't mind seeing a bubble pass from Brady-to-Vick-to-Moss...that'd be sweet.

But I just don't see bringing in Vick flying in Puritan or Liberal New England.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I think it'd be interesting to see what they could do with the guy. He definitely wouldn't be a QB, not even #2 (O'Connell will be fine, especially after spending the entire off-season & pre-season preparing as the starter). He'd be a WR, RB, RS, and general utility player. It'd be fun to watch... Wouldn't mind seeing a bubble pass from Brady-to-Vick-to-Moss...that'd be sweet.

But I just don't see bringing in Vick flying in Puritan or Liberal New England.
I think you're overrating O'Connell's ability to throw the ball. This guy wasn't even really a good passer in college. He has a big arm and some mobility. Michael Vick has a world-class arm and mobility. O'Connell was picked in the off-chance he had to spot start a game, or as future trade bait in hopes that the team could develop him to his full potential. Vick is definitely a better quarterback than him. For someone with a great track record as a starting QB (three Pro Bowls, high winning percentage, NFC Championship appearance), Vick gets a lot of hate.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
I think you're overrating O'Connell's ability to throw the ball. This guy wasn't even really a good passer in college. He has a big arm and some mobility. Michael Vick has a world-class arm and mobility. O'Connell was picked in the off-chance he had to spot start a game, or as future trade bait in hopes that the team could develop him to his full potential. Vick is definitely a better quarterback than him. For someone with a great track record as a starting QB (three Pro Bowls, high winning percentage, NFC Championship appearance), Vick gets a lot of hate.
I agree that Vick does get a bit too much hate for his abilities as a passer but if he is picked up by the Patriots it won't be for him to hold Brady's clipboard. Vick will be taken by one of two types of team

1-A team with no QB and need to do something ie San Francisco, Minnesota etc

2-A team with an established QB who will want Vick to have about 15-20 snaps(not all of which he will touch the ball) ie New England

O'Connell was taken last year as a project and either long-term solution or at very worst stop gap for life post-Brady. It would be very similar to what the Dolphins done this year. Chad Henne is almost the future QB but on game day Pat White will dress as the #2 behind Pennington. If Brady was to go down with both O'Connell and Vick I would suspect O'Connell would be the starter because the offense is very complicated and Vick wouldn't even have a full offseason to get used to it, plus he is in no shape to start for any team at the minute.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:01 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vick does get a lot of hate. Even before his dogfighting scandal he was rarely well regarded. He is a good QB and decent leader who can make any throw.

But he's not a pocket passer type of QB. He was always best on roll-outs and that is not something that NE does much. BB would certainly add it to the play book, but I just don't see Vick playing for a team like NE. He would be best served going to a team that needs a number 1 QB. I will be shocked if he does otherwise.

My guess is he will get re-instated (as he should) and will sign with a team that has no true solution. SF, Minne this year and a dozen teams that may see the need for a change by mid-season (Buff, Seattle, Cleve, Denver, Oak, etc.)

Considering he won't necessarily have the chance to prove he's in football shape until mid-summer, the most likely scenario is Vick getting signed by a team close to the beginning of the pre-season if they really need one now, or else late in the season once a team is out of contention and doesn't have to worry so much about the incoming media storm.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
parrish_lemar24DBSkins
Veteran

parrish_lemar24DBSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.parrish_lemar24DBSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As a huge fan of Michael Vick, I'm looking at this situation long term, and which opportunity is best for him towards re-establishing himself as an NFL QB.

The more I think about it, the Pats would be an ideal situation, whether or not it's second or 3rd string QB.

Vick would benefit greatly being coached by a staff that has a reputation for developing raw prospects into very productive NFL QBs.

With Tom Brady entrenched as the starter until he chooses to retire, Vick could use the bench time getting re-adjusted to being a pro football player again.

All the crap about PETA, that's not going to go on forever, and any protests will only happen outside the stadium, not on the field or in the stands.

Two years on the Pats roster sitting behind Brady, and Vick will be a better QB than he ever was before with the Falcons.

After cooling it with the Pats for a while, keeping a clean record and avoiding any off the field controversy, he will be in a position to write his own ticket.

Also, the Pats are a strong enough organization to fend off any negative media coverage from pro animal rights advocates.

Just as a fan, my whole perception of the Pats would change if they signed Vick.
He's not a real need for them, and on some level this would be a huge good samaritan gesture by Robert Kraft and Belichick.

I don't know how realistic it is that Vick will sign with the Pats, but if they offer he should be in Foxboro before sundown.
parrish_lemar24DBSkins is offline   Reply With Quote