Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010 Draft Thread

With the 2010 draft only 10 months away, what better time than now to start looking ahead to what the Colts might need? I think the Colts addressed their needs well in this past draft, and the depth chart looks pretty solid as of now IMO, but there are some positions that could be an issue for the 2010 season. Assuming the CBA gets taken care of (which I think it will, as neither side wants the penalties that kick in for 2010 if they don't take care of it), here's how I see the needs shaking out as of now:

1) S - With a former DPOY, a former Pro Bowler, and a backup who has quite a bit of starting experience and made a few big plays for the team last year, how does this rank as the team's top need? Well, apart from Sanders, the only safety the Colts have under contract beyond 2009 is Jaime Silva. Bethea will be a UFA, and while Bullitt will be a RFA, he'll be a UFA in 2011, and I'm not so sure about his ability to replace Bethea, especially since Bethea will be allowed to play the role he's best at this year (last line of defense/deep enforcer). If Bethea is allowed to walk, which I think he will be, this likely becomes the team's top priority. If he's resigned, this drops completely off the need board.

2) LB - I thought about making this MLB, since Gary Brackett will be a UFA after this season and I doubt the team will retain him, but Wheeler has experience at MLB in college. That said, if Wheeler is slid inside, then the Colts will need a new starting SLB, which means that the team has flexibility and options in addressing this need. I do think that the team will try to find a MLB to replace Brackett rather than slide Wheeler inside, but if a great SLB talent is available to the team, moving Wheeler inside would be an option.

3) OG - This is the wildcard position of the group, depending on injuries and development, this could be the team's top need for 2010 or not a need at all. Given that Lilja is on track to be ready for camp as of now, Pollak should get his first camp, and all 3 guards who were drafted last year got valuable PT, I'm leaning toward the latter, but if everything goes wrong, and it could, this could become a huge need.

4) CB - With Marlin Jackson hitting free agency and the CBs behind him on the depth chart not showing much progress to this point, this could be a very big need for the team in 2010. Then again, if some of the young CBs on the team develop, this could become a secondary need.

That's all I can think of for now. That said, with the way this upcoming class looks, if the team selected a DL, I wouldn't be too upset. Also, Jermaine Gresham IMO would be an upgrade over and 3rd WR/2nd TE the team currently has. Thoughts?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote