Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Extending players early doesn't have much of a down-side in my opinion. The longer the FO waits to extend players they want, the more leverage the player has in the numbers being negotiated. If you wait for a player to be nearing or in the final year of their deal, they can then demand market value or more. Extending them early allows for the player to be paid more reasonably during the latter years of the extension. The only real down-side is if the player who's been extended plays poorly. The young players whom the 49ers have extended and wish to extend (Willis) haven't shown a very high risk factor.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:33 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Great move for two reasons:

1. Madirshman hits the nail on the head, he will be much more expensive to resign when his contract runs out. Sign him longterm now and he will be a bargain in 3 years based on how FA goes.

2. This move commits our free cap space to a legit younger player we are hoping will be a star. This move speaks to the claim of building through the draft. We have a lot of cap space now, but rather than spending it on questionable FAs, Mcloughan is committing the money to our picks. Very smart.

The only negative I can think of is when players hold out because their contract value is no longer competitive, suchas Thomas Jones. I don't see this as a problem with Staley though. Actually, I think the reason this signing is considered "early" is because players normally wouldn't sign such a long deal. I think this speaks to the type of player/person Staley is.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Signed Brian Jennings to a five year extension today. Another great move by Scotty Mac locking up one of the elite long snappers in the game.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I stand corrected, pretty much all of were wrong too but I'm not checking back thru the other 138 pgs. in this thread -- it wasn't 5 OCs in 5 yrs, but 7 different OCs in 7 9er seasons. I can't think of any other NFL offense in that time that was so handicapped.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci...nclick_check=1

Jimmy Raye is implementing the 2-back, run-dominant, clock control offensive system. Makes sense with Gore & Coffee, & Pascoe with Davis for the 2-TEs sets formerly known by the Parcells nomenclature as the "Heavy Jumbo" set.

Finally! An offense customized to the personnel on the roster instead of pounding that round peg thru the square hole of making the personnel fit the system. And the most important ingredient for this to work, a stabilized front 5 on the 0-line, is finally the embedded anchor for him to build on.

And a 3-4 defense that can hold the lead the offense takes, a scenario that the 9ers haven't enjoyed in quite a long while. They started in the hole the past 2 yrs. with O'Sullivan & Dilfer replacing Smith or Hill & never successfully played catchup, had to with a few exceptional games rely on one of the best punters in the league in Andy Lee for field position or reliable kicker (& local San Jose product) Joe Nedney to keep them in those games that weren't complete blowouts by halftime.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:18 AM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Signed Brian Jennings to a five year extension today. Another great move by Scotty Mac locking up one of the elite long snappers in the game.
is it bad that i am excited about this. my brother has a Jennings Jersey...I have only seen one other custom deal that is of this amazing long snapper.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogcity_faithful View Post
is it bad that i am excited about this. my brother has a Jennings Jersey...I have only seen one other custom deal that is of this amazing long snapper.
I had a Jennings sig for a while. I'd kill to have his NFL career haha.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 AM    (permalink
VernonLawson89
Veteran

VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Michael Crabtree's finally running

Michael Crabtree seen for first time on 49ers artifical-turf practice field doing some light running while 5 members of staff watch closely.

http://twitter.com/MattMaiocco

Now I'm not here 24 hours a day, so I don't know Crabtree's exact rehab regimen after foot surgery in March. But as far as I can tell, this is the first time Crabtree's actually run -- and run fairly hard -- on the foot since the procedure. Under the supervision of strength coach Duane Carlisle, Crabtree ran perhaps a dozen sprints of about 40 yards on the team's artificial field. He seemed to be going about three-quarters speed.Sac Bee
VernonLawson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And isnt Jennings the longest tenured 49er???
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:47 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
And isnt Jennings the longest tenured 49er???
Both he and Ulbrich were drafted in 2000. Ulbrich in the 3rd, Jennings in the 7th.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:05 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From Maiocco's twitter:
Quote:
Niners might show interest in pass-rusher Greg Ellis, whom the Cowboys recently released, when/if his asking price drops. He's 34 in Aug.
Also Tim Kawamaki lengthy interview with Singletary:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...-wasting-time/
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Because as bad as I want to be world champion, I want to be a great dad. I want to be a great husband. That’s extremely important."

I love Coach Singletary, great article. Good post WWBBD.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:47 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So liking Ellis as the topic for my 200th post..............

Quote:
From Maiocco's twitter:Niners might show interest in pass-rusher Greg Ellis, whom the Cowboys recently released, when/if his asking price drops. He's 34 in Aug.
The 9ers s/b making their move for Ellis right now, I say sign him to a 1-yr. They have the cap room & there are other bidders for his services.

Trust me, I grew up in Texas & follow the Cowboys intimately -- I know this guy. He's the real deal -- He's $. Ellis has led Dallas in INTs & tied for the sack lead for several games in past seasons, & that's on the same defense with Anthony Henry, Newman, & Roy Williams at SS. He will flummox DCs who have to figure out how to stop Justin Smith on the 3rd & long plus Ellis who can play in Fields' DE spot if Balmer can't live up to expectations, or back up Lawson on the OLB spot. He may have lost some quickness at 33 but still a better bang for the buck than last season's latest DE fizzle, Tully BC.

Ellis could be that steppingstone the 9ers need to own the weak NFC West. A pass rush is still one of their top priorities.

Last edited by LizardState : 06-09-2009 at 07:52 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
He may have lost some quickness at 33 but still a better bang for the buck than last season's latest DE fizzle, Tully BC.
You can say that again.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wouldn't be opposed to Ellis can never have enough pass rushers
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 PM    (permalink
will99890
Rookie

will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Agreed, watching last season's non-existent pass rush convinced me that stockpiling rushers like the Giants might not be a horrible idea.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how some would want Ellis but didnt want Taylor. Go figure.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:37 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I love how some would want Ellis but didnt want Taylor. Go figure.
I mean, Ellis had 8 sacks last year and Taylor had 3.5...

That being said...

I think they will keep 4 OLBs:

Haralson
Lawsom
Ahmad Brooks
Marques Harris

First concern is if Ellis starter over Lawsom. I have high hopes there and want to see him given a chance to rush the passer this year.

Second, a lesser concern, I like both Ahmad Brooks and I think Marques Harris could be a good strong side back up. He's an athletic guy, though undersized...

But Ellis could be a great passrusher. I could actually see this happen. Not for a longterm and/or expensive deal though.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:17 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
At first I didn't like the idea. But now that I think about it, we really need a pass rush. And even though Ellis is getting up there in age, he's still decent and could provide a boost to our linebacking group...even if it is just as a role player. I do want to see if Haralson and Lawson develop though. The more experience the better.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would take Ellis ONLY as a backup / role player that could help teach our younger OLBs. Man-Law has more talent than Ellis at this point and once he's unleashed, will start to put up the numbers we all expect out of him.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Man-Law has more talent than Ellis at this point and once he's unleashed, will start to put up the numbers we all expect out of him.
we've been saying that for years

Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

No, from everything I've read, Singletary has gone on record saying that it is time to stop tinkering with Lawson and just let him do his thing. I really expect to see some great numbers this year from Lawson more so than I have in other years.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
we've been saying that for years
Man-Law will put up career number this season. Plan on it.

We've also been saying that Vernon Davis is gonna break out for years as well...well maybe this is the year for both. VD has been making a lot of plays in practice and OTAs, and that Jimmy Raye is actually utilizing him as a PASS CATCHER. As I'm sure you've read, they've been using Davis as a weapon in the red zone consistently through OTAs. Sounds more promising than the last couple years where we've been more hoping for it to happen.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...eeks-work.html

Quote:
Singletary said Crabtree is competitive and eager to get back to full work. He said Crabtree "about had tears in his eyes" during the team's first minicamp when Singletary told him to stop running routes.
you have to love that kind of passion

Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

I think that we can all agree that if Crabtree becomes as good as T.O. was for us, we'll be happy.

As for Lawson, they just to turn him loose and see what he can do.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...eeks-work.html

you have to love that kind of passion
I love it Idk about the rest of you guys.