Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-10-2009, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The programs I always recommend are:

Starting Strength for the novice

Rippetoe's 5x5 for intermediate

WS4SB for an intermediate- http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html

or you could just use a chest/tris and back/bis and lower body breakdown
Old 06-10-2009, 02:32 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn98 View Post
Can someone make/help me with an upper body lift and an ab work out?
I can post my full workout in here if you like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I can post my full workout in here if you like.
I would greatly appreciate it.

My thing is I haven't worked out since November, and I'm having a tough time getting motivated to go back to the gym. I keep telling myself I'm going, but I never do.
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:49 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just alternating chest/triceps, back/biceps 4 days a week with some bike on back days, starting to run for a bit the other days just to be active. Don't do legs anymore cause my knees are basically shot and working out legs sucks anyway (miss cleans though :( ). Don't take supplements either, never got into it that much.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Just alternating chest/triceps, back/biceps 4 days a week with some bike on back days, starting to run for a bit the other days just to be active. Don't do legs anymore cause my knees are basically shot and working out legs sucks anyway (miss cleans though :( ). Don't take supplements either, never got into it that much.
how much higher than 300 have u gotten on bench? I remember that thread from a while back.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ha, I got up to 320 in hs but dropped a lot of weight after football and going to college and such didn't work out as much. Usually finish workouts at 275, pretty sure I can't hit 300 anymore. :(

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OK. Well each day is started with 30 minutes of cardio. It can be whichever you like, really. Just getting off your ass and doing it is good news. I usually bike or stairmaster, but Elliptical and running work as well. Boxing is great if you have any experience doing it, but if not, dont bother. You can end the routine with about 15 minutes of cardio, just as a cool down. Some tips on how I work out:

- 30 Seconds between each set, 2 minutes between each exercise
- Oftentimes, Ill throw in another exercise in between sets (ie. 25 situps), but nothing that interferes with your current exercise. This is mostly for tone throughout the body, and it keeps your heart rate up.
- I always go 12/10/8/FAILURE for reps, with increasing weight each time. For example, if I start my bench at 12 reps of 135, I would go on to do 10 reps of 150, 8 reps of 165, then my max until failure (just an example). This will help you make HUGE gains rather quickly.
- ALWAYS STRETCH

Here is how I break down my workout:

Monday
Chest

Bench Press
Incline Bench
Inverted Bench
Chest Fly (Freeweight)
Pec Deck

Tuesday
Arm

Bicep
Straight Curl
Preacher Curl
Isometric Curl (ie. Curl and Hold)
Individual Bicep Curls

Tricep
Tricep Push Downs
Skull Crushers
Overhead Lifts
Tricep Donkey Kicks

Optional
Forearm Curls (if you give a damn)

Wednesday
Shoulders

Military Press
Shoulder Shrugs
Standing Arm Raises
Shoulder Press
Internal/External Rotation

Thursday
Back

Lat Pull Downs
Pull Ups
Weighted Body Bends (on the situp bench)
Dead Lifts

Friday
Core

Situps
Leg Lifts
Torso Rotation
Plank

Saturday
Legs

Squats
Leg Press
Calf Press

Im not really big into working out my legs haha so its usually just those 3 plus a random machine, so go ahead and choose yourself.

It looks sort of intimidating at first, and it is exhausting, but I guarantee you will make big gains. Its a modified version of the program my old strength coach gave me. Its important to read the start, so you know how to do these exercises.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
OK. Well each day is started with 30 minutes of cardio. It can be whichever you like, really. Just getting off your ass and doing it is good news. I usually bike or stairmaster, but Elliptical and running work as well. Boxing is great if you have any experience doing it, but if not, dont bother. You can end the routine with about 15 minutes of cardio, just as a cool down.
What I do is sprint for a minute and a half before my workout to get my blood going. Apparently doing more than 5 minutes of cardio before a workout makes you more tired for your workout. Being that lifting weights burns more calories than cardio and doing cardio before will kind of drain you, why not wait until after the workout to cool down with a half hour of cardio?

Quote:
Some tips on how I work out:

- 30 Seconds between each set, 2 minutes between each exercise
- Oftentimes, Ill throw in another exercise in between sets (ie. 25 situps), but nothing that interferes with your current exercise. This is mostly for tone throughout the body, and it keeps your heart rate up.
- I always go 12/10/8/FAILURE for reps, with increasing weight each time. For example, if I start my bench at 12 reps of 135, I would go on to do 10 reps of 150, 8 reps of 165, then my max until failure (just an example). This will help you make HUGE gains rather quickly.
- ALWAYS STRETCH

Here is how I break down my workout:

Monday
Chest

Bench Press
Incline Bench
Inverted Bench
Chest Fly (Freeweight)
Pec Deck

Tuesday
Arm

Bicep
Straight Curl
Preacher Curl
Isometric Curl (ie. Curl and Hold)
Individual Bicep Curls

Tricep
Tricep Push Downs
Skull Crushers
Overhead Lifts
Tricep Donkey Kicks

Optional
Forearm Curls (if you give a damn)

Wednesday
Shoulders

Military Press
Shoulder Shrugs
Standing Arm Raises
Shoulder Press
Internal/External Rotation

Thursday
Back

Lat Pull Downs
Pull Ups
Weighted Body Bends (on the situp bench)
Dead Lifts

Friday
Core

Situps
Leg Lifts
Torso Rotation
Plank

Saturday
Legs

Squats
Leg Press
Calf Press

Im not really big into working out my legs haha so its usually just those 3 plus a random machine, so go ahead and choose yourself.

It looks sort of intimidating at first, and it is exhausting, but I guarantee you will make big gains. Its a modified version of the program my old strength coach gave me. Its important to read the start, so you know how to do these exercises.
Why would you do Biceps and Triceps on the same day? Do triceps when you do chest and biceps when you do back. They compliment each other in workouts and most exercises for biceps work your back as well.

Last edited by tjsunstein : 06-10-2009 at 03:16 PM.
tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Yea if you do that work out you end up like this.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Apparently doing more than 5 minutes of cardio before a workout makes you more tired for your workout. Being that lifting weights burns more calories than cardio and doing cardio before will kind of drain you, why not wait until after the workout to cool down with a half hour of cardio?
I do cardio before because it's more important to me than lifting.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:18 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You should be doing 15-20 minutes of actual cardio each day. Lifting weights burns fat, however, the more muscle you build the more calories you burn whether you are at rest or not.
Of course, but wouldn't it make more sense to do the cardio at the end of your workout instead of tiring yourself out before lifting heavier weights? You can still do 15-20 minutes of cardio after your workout but can you still work legs as hard as you would after 15-20 minutes of cardio? That's what I'm trying to say. Doing cardio after, IMO, makes your workout more fulfilling.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:18 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

over or under 4 bills?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

So no one works out in silence, right? What's on the playlist for your workouts?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
AkiliSmith
Veteran

AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So no one works out in silence, right? What's on the playlist for your workouts?
Killswitch Engage, Pantera

Loud angry music
AkiliSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
What I do is sprint for a minute and a half before my workout to get my blood going. Apparently doing more than 5 minutes of cardio before a workout makes you more tired for your workout. Being that lifting weights burns more calories than cardio and doing cardio before will kind of drain you, why not wait until after the workout to cool down with a half hour of cardio?

Why would you do Biceps and Triceps on the same day? Do triceps when you do chest and biceps when you do back. They compliment each other in workouts and most exercises for biceps work your back as well.
As far as cardio is concerned, I like to do alot of it. I always feel better after, and to be honest, if I dont do it before I do my weights I dont feel energized. Cardio gets the blood flowing, and gets my heart rate up so I burn more calories when Im working out.

As far as arms go, its really just preference. I know people who organize their workout like you do, but I like to do arms all at once. By isolating specific muscle groups (ie. arms, chest, back, etc.) I have heard that you will see improvements alot faster. So far, its been working for me. Also, working biceps and then not working triceps after feels weird. They are opposing muscles, and should be worked together IMO. Its just the way I schedule my workout, and just a suggestion for others.

Quote:

Hey, I never claimed to be immune to the Freshman 15. Damn cafeteria food is balls as far as health is concerned. Its slowly melting away though.

oh, and **** you sarf, have you ever set foot inside a gym? or do you just come in here to be an insufferable **** and offer nothing but lame insults to a thread?
Quote:
Old 06-10-2009, 03:38 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
For me, its lots of RATM, and pretty much anything else thats fast paced or you could put a highlight reel of NFL hits too.
Quote:
Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
oh, and **** you sarf, have you ever set foot inside a gym? or do you just come in here to be an insufferable **** and offer nothing but lame insults to a thread?
as a matter of fact, yes. do you, really?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well i just got the arm band thingy, and since I listen to mostly country, that is what I mostly listen to. But high energy country so it keeps me pumped up. I mix in some of my rock that I have, but for the most part I stick to what i like to listen to the most.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:44 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post
as a matter of fact, yes. do you, really?
Well here's an idea...I know it sounds crazy, and way out of left field...but if you really do go to the gym, how about, instead of coming in and just insulting people, you actually CONTRIBUTE TO THE THREAD?!?! ?!?! ZOMGZ?!?!?!?! Maybe post your workout routine for others? Give some advice? The same things the other people are doing? Instead of insisting on being a useless poster who follows others into threads in a vain attempt to insult them, ******* POST SOMETHING OF VALUE YOU DUMB ****!

And yes.
Quote:
Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With my ineptitude of posting pics, I will give the description of my thighs for you CJ...

If you watch scrubs this will be funny...

Imagine Bob Kelso's calves in terms of defintion, but over double the muscle...

Old 06-10-2009, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

anybody have any goals for the summer. We could get some races going if people want to stay motivated. Personally I want to drop to 170 from 195 while losing no strength.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:52 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
anybody have any goals for the summer. We could get some races going if people want to stay motivated. Personally I want to drop to 170 from 195 while losing no strength.
My goal is to simply make my stomach look good enough so I can go to the beach ( or anywhere, for that matter) without a shirt on without totally revolting women. So far, I am about half way there...

Old 06-10-2009, 03:59 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My goal for the summer is probably put on a decent amount of muscle, like 10-15 pounds and start trimming after that. I might not be completely done when school starts back up, but I'll start HIIT once I have reached my first goal.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:59 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I was at 16.8% body fat when I started and 172 pounds. Now I'm at 170 pounds without doing my body fat recently. I'm 6'0 so my BMI is perfect for my height. I'm trying to cut down to about 9% body fat in 3 months. It's not gonna be easy but its definitely do able. I want to get up to about 185 while doing so but I'm not going to take any weight gainers or supplements besides a multi vitamin, fish oil, and protein. I think I'll get to 9% body fat around Mid September and whatever weight I am then will dictate what I have to do to add mass.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
B-Dawk
Veteran

B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so i have a bet that i can get 18 reps of 225 on bench by next spring. most ive done is 11. Is there anything specifically i should do to work on the endurance, or should i just focus on improving overall strength?

The way it is

GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)
B-Dawk is offline   Reply With Quote