Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 06-26-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Yeah i'm a big fan of this pickup. It shows we're looking under every rock for an answer at WR. The odds are against Mario to do big things for us, but at 6'6" I like that we're giving him a shot. I remember how good he was at Louisville, not sure if that was being a product of a high powered offense but i guess we'll find out.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jets have claimed OL Mike Fladell off waivers from the Giants. He is a Rutgers guy so I hope he can stick with us.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:53 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
The Jets have claimed OL Mike Fladell off waivers from the Giants. He is a Rutgers guy so I hope he can stick with us.
I heard about it too, the more Rutgers guys on the Jets is a good thing. Hopefully he can make a good impression like Renkhart and Westerman have.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, Fladell failed the physical and was cut. Short stay for him.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Well, Fladell failed the physical and was cut. Short stay for him.
we hardly knew ye
Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calvin Pace suspended for four games? Looks like Gholston may be forced into some play time a little earlier than expected.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Calvin Pace suspended for four games? Looks like Gholston may be forced into some play time a little earlier than expected.
Don't worry we've got Westerman. He's got it covered.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Don't worry we've got Westerman. He's got it covered.
According to the article below, Westerman has been tearing up OTA's and has been playing ILB. It says that Bart Scott can play outside. I still think Gholston will get the opportunity and he better do something with it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-on-gholston/

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-02-2009, 06:36 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

That........is really disappointing
Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't speak, that is terrible news. Gholston gets a primo opportunity to prove Jets fans wrong, i hope he goes after it. No excuses...i expect to not get the same feeling that he just isn't trying again. It's sad that i'm scared at the possibility of what i may see...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

I remember during OTAs, there were articles talking about Westerman being used both inside and outside. Unless I am not remembering correctly, it would probably make more sense to leave Bart Scott in his natural position where has been a force rather than move him off and have Westerman take his spot. If Westerman/Gholston prove they can't do it on the outside is when Scott should move over.

I'm disappointed, but I'm not too worried. Even if the first 4 opponents(NE,NO, Tenn, Hou) are tough teams, I think the defense is more than deep enough to excel without Pace.Even though Pace was really good last year, with the additions made in the offseason, the defense should still be dominant without him.

Last year, because the secondary outside of Rhodes and Revis was pretty weak, we needed to constantly generate a monstrous pass rush to be successful, with the addition of Leohnard, Sheppard, and even Scott who is good in coverage, our pass D should be much improved. Additionally, even without Pace, we should be able to get loads of pressure because of the other talent and Ryan's scheme.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, i see no reason to move Scott, as i would rather he play where he is most comfortable so that he can focus on being a leader, not having to worry about his short lived move to a new position....doesn't make too much sense to me.

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
I agree, i see no reason to move Scott, as i would rather he play where he is most comfortable so that he can focus on being a leader, not having to worry about his short lived move to a new position....doesn't make too much sense to me.
Not like our depth at ILB much better if at all than our depth at OLB if at all (personally I don't think it is) so I absolutely agree.

Anybody think there's a decent chance Murrell starts over Gholston (or anyone else starts over him for that matter) for the first four games? And if so, how much will the media criticize VG, and how much of it would be warranted? Does he need to start the first four games now or would it still be acceptable for him to be a situational guy in the beginning of his second year with our top OLB out?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

from my persepctive it would be fine if he is a sitautional pash rusher in the beginning while Pace is out (but I have low expectations) but the media will likely have a field day. I look at this as his rookie year so I am not expecting a lot early on, now if we lose Pace in week 16 and he still isn't starting then we should worry.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I disagree, as i think people would have a right to be critical of him if he doesn't start during Pace's suspension. The fact is that he was a high pick and is making very good money. If he can't come in and contrinbute when the team needs him, and a looking at the players that would be 'starting' over him, that really isn't saying much. The fact is, that if we don't view it as a disappointment it simply shows that we have lost considerable amounts of hope with regards to Gholston and that we are making excuses for him. Plain and simple, he needs to show up....

Quote:
Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

[quote=we are making excuses for him. Plain and simple, he needs to show up....[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% that we are making excuses for him, but IMO its better to coddle him a little while longer than call him a bust and discard him too soon. I think last year was a waste for him because Mangini never had any confidence in him and he never was able to show what he could do. Lets give him time and by time I mean more than 5 weeks in training camp to come around.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I don't want to 'coddle' anyone. This guy is making big money, played a 'man style' college game, and needs to step up and stop feeling bad for himself, if that is the case. I agree you don't call him a 'bust' to the 100th degree and discard him, but there is more to it than just blaming Mangini. Mangini was an tool, no arguement, but it isn't 100% his fault that Gholston did absolutely nothing while on the field and didn't look ethusiastic and energized. Maybe he was confused and all that, but even when rushing the passer he wasn't 100% going after it, and no everything changes from college to the NFL. GET THE QB! I'll continue to wait on him, obviously, but if he can't do anything in the 4 week period when a chance is given, he is disappearing in my mind. If he wasn't a 6th overall pick, he wouldn't be in the league.....performance is performance, just because he has a big cap hit and salary doesn't mean he's going to come around. I'm rooting for him, but this is a BIG time for him...

Quote:
Old 07-16-2009, 02:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

With LW possibly not getting an extension, or things not seeming to be coming to a close at least, I started thinking about the future of this team. Obviously as any team does, the Jets have a lot of nice talent that's on rookie contracts or guys that (outside of high draft picks) haven't really gotten their first big payday. Unfortunately, the front office is going to decide to move some of that talent because (unless the NFL without a cap actually happens) the team needs to stay under the cap. So I was wondering what the opinion of my fellow Jets fans is. Of our young talent, some higher level guys and some unproven to this point, who stays and who does the FO decide may not be worth the money they decide that they want?

I compiled a quick list of players (keep in mind some of these guys could project to do better but may not...it's really just everyone's best guess how they produce between now and when it comes time for a new deal). I also left out rookies but you can obviously add them in if you want, or anyone else you feel I left out. Who on this list (or off it) is or isn't a long-term Jet?:

Kellen Clemens
David Clowney
Mike DeVito
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Vernon Gholston
David Harris
Dustin Keller
Nick Mangold
Darrelle Revis
Brad Smith
Chansi Stuckey
Leon Washington
Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
With LW possibly not getting an extension, or things not seeming to be coming to a close at least, I started thinking about the future of this team. Obviously as any team does, the Jets have a lot of nice talent that's on rookie contracts or guys that (outside of high draft picks) haven't really gotten their first big payday. Unfortunately, the front office is going to decide to move some of that talent because (unless the NFL without a cap actually happens) the team needs to stay under the cap. So I was wondering what the opinion of my fellow Jets fans is. Of our young talent, some higher level guys and some unproven to this point, who stays and who does the FO decide may not be worth the money they decide that they want?

I compiled a quick list of players (keep in mind some of these guys could project to do better but may not...it's really just everyone's best guess how they produce between now and when it comes time for a new deal). I also left out rookies but you can obviously add them in if you want, or anyone else you feel I left out. Who on this list (or off it) is or isn't a long-term Jet?:

Kellen Clemens
David Clowney
Mike DeVito
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Vernon Gholston
David Harris
Dustin Keller
Nick Mangold
Darrelle Revis
Brad Smith
Chansi Stuckey
Leon Washington
It really comes down to price, but my stays, while assuming the associated pricetag are:

Clowney (he won't be that expensive. Hold him and hope he breaks out)
DeVito (won't be expensive, and is a solid player)
Ferguson (solid but not spectacular, you need that LT, and hopefully the price tag is reasonable)
Harris (depends on the pricetag, but i think it will be worth it)
Keller (Strictly a pass catching TE, don't overpay unless he becomes a fulltime player)
Mangold (need that leader in the middle of the line)
Revis (You don't let elite CBs go)
Stuckey (will be cheap, hopefully is a solid slot guy)
Smith (hasn't proven much, depends on the pricetag)

Didn't make it:
Clemens (i'd like to keep him, but will the price be too high assuming him backup status?)
Gholston (he's making big money, what will the next contract be? Based on what i've seen, don't overpay)
Washington (this is the guy i want to see stay, but i'm not sure the pricetag will work. He is a gamebreaker who gives great return ability, but how much do you pay him? A Greene/Washington backfield would make me happy, but i'm not sure it will happen).

We need to get away from this high pick area where the pricetags are rediculous. I agree that QB, pass rusher, or LT are the way to go when you are there though, but pricetags are high and eat cap space. We need Sanchez to get it done NEXT year. This season is obviously the grace period.

Quote:
Old 07-22-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Looks like Rex named VG the starter for weeks 1-4, a bit early perhaps but hopefully it gives the guy confidence and is the right call. Also he thinks the #2 WR is on the roster, he made a reference to hoping he can catch in pads so maybe it's not Stuckey since he's at least somewhat proven, but I'd imagine he's the most likely.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Looks like Rex named VG the starter for weeks 1-4, a bit early perhaps but hopefully it gives the guy confidence and is the right call.

I saw that. Looks like Rex is trying to motivate him. He's getting his chance, just hope there isn't a pulled hammy in his future that sets him back.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Well Gholston is getting his chance and he better make the most of it. In those first 4 games he better at least get 2 sacks. He has to at least give us some hope that he will turn out good in the future.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-23-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Well Gholston is getting his chance and he better make the most of it. In those first 4 games he better at least get 2 sacks. He has to at least give us some hope that he will turn out good in the future.
It's tough to say just I definitely want to see 2 sacks in the first 4 games. While at least 2 sacks would be nice, more than anything I'd like to see a really good motor for Gholston. Not sure that's something we can ever expect, but that would be absolutely awesome. Along with that, consistent pressure on the QB and holding the edge in the run game would be nice perks as well.

I guess I'm trying to say that sacks are kind of bonuses, I'd rather see 5 or 6 near sacks that cause the QB to release it quick then 2 fluke coverage sacks but really nothing else. I definitely get what you're saying just wanted to elaborate and give my perspective. Definitely a huge opportunity for him, lets hope he can take some advantage and really get some momentum to start the year.

It's pretty quiet on this board right now but there's been some posting recently and TC is coming up, so hopefully we get some good chatter going soon.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I want to see Gholston show some HEART. He looked lazy and unethusiastic previously. QB pressures are what i'm looking for as that is what we need from him. If his rush game isn't working, then his strength is no longer a strength and i'm not sure what other assets he would bring at this point.

Sacks would be nice, but pressures are the key.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Just thought I'd mention that Vern changed his number to # 50...