Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:53 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Chan Gailey fired

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...p-chan-gailey/

Quote:
A source within the otherwise impenetrable walls of One Arrowhead Drive advises that the Chiefs have fired this morning offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Gailey survived the initial purge of assistant coaches after Todd Haley was hired in February.
Kind of shocking and weird. Two weeks before the season and they fire our OC? Hrm.

Apologies if this should go in just team boards, but it's kind of a big deal.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Last edited by vidae : 08-31-2009 at 11:00 AM.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just saw this on ESPN.com. I don't think it's that big of a surprise, more so the timing than anything. I figured Haley would want full control over the offense.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:10 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I just saw this on ESPN.com. I don't think it's that big of a surprise, more so the timing than anything. I figured Haley would want full control over the offense.
I agree, but why keep him on at all if you wanted control?

The weirdest thing is, reports are that Cassel will be out 2-4 weeks and Gailey made the offense work with Thigpen in.. so the day you find out Thigpen potentially starts for a month is the day you fire the guy who made the offense work with him?

Just seems kinda weird to me, the timing of it all.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I understand Haley wants full control, but why fire this guy? He isn't a big name coach so i doubt he is making much...
Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't agree with this move the OL is the problem not the OC.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd bet there is more going on behind the scenes to lead to this. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fighting or argument somewhere along the line. But instead of handling it like Cable did, Haley just chose to fire him. Probably a philosophical difference between the two, or Haley probably took some playcalling power away, which could result in this.. Either way, I bet there is a lot more that happened to lead to this all of a sudden.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
I'd bet there is more going on behind the scenes to lead to this. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fighting or argument somewhere along the line. But instead of handling it like Cable did, Haley just chose to fire him. Probably a philosophical difference between the two, or Haley probably took some playcalling power away, which could result in this.. Either way, I bet there is a lot more that happened to lead to this all of a sudden.
Absolutely no doubt about that. I don't think Haley or anyone in that organization would just fire the guy out of nowhere with the season kicking off two weeks away. Vidae also has a great point. He made this offense work with Thigpen last year. It would make sense to keep him around. I'd have to wait to find out the motives until making a judgement call.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Absolutely no doubt about that. I don't think Haley or anyone in that organization would just fire the guy out of nowhere with the season kicking off two weeks away. Vidae also has a great point. He made this offense work with Thigpen last year. It would make sense to keep him around. I'd have to wait to find out the motives until making a judgement call.
That's coaching at all levels though. The industry is quite fickle, and cliquey, like middle school. So and so hates the HC at this school or program, while is very close with a HC from another. That's one thing fans, at all levels, of the game don't see. It's very catty, for a lack of a better word, so I am not surprised when I see something like this. Even when on my staff when I coached, there was some issues about liking each other, and this was D3. Add NFL sized egos and money to the equation, and I am sure it's a lot worse. But one thing is for sure in the NFL, the coaches do take care of each other. It's like one big fraternity in it's own right.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
I agree, but why keep him on at all if you wanted control?

The weirdest thing is, reports are that Cassel will be out 2-4 weeks and Gailey made the offense work with Thigpen in.. so the day you find out Thigpen potentially starts for a month is the day you fire the guy who made the offense work with him?

Just seems kinda weird to me, the timing of it all.
Croyle is going to start over Thigpen anyway.

Haley hasn't been happy with the way the offense has performed this camp and pre-season. That's probably a big factor here.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
Croyle is going to start over Thigpen anyway.
I would think so to he fits the system better and has had a better camp.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
I would think so to he fits the system better and has had a better camp.
Being able to take a snap from behind center certainly doesn't hurt. I can't see Haley wanting to run Gailey's spread offense from last year.

Now hopefully Baltimore won't kill Brokie and he can survive until Cassel is back.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

There is a good chance both will play even if Cassel was ready to go I would think about holding him out and give him another week off.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why did'nt they chop the offensive line coach too.they're the real source of my offensive frustration
Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Haley has taken over as OC and QB coach.

Apparently Chan Gailey will remain with the team in some capacity...his role is currently being discussed.

Last edited by Basileus777 : 08-31-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought I heard he was just stripped of his play calling duties, but I'm not sure.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08...distract ion/

GAILEY RELEASES STATEMENT

“There’s never great timing for situations like this. However, Todd has to do what’s best for the team and for the future of the Chiefs. I respect that. It didn’t work out for us, but I certainly think that he has a very fine offensive mind and I feel very fortunate to have worked for the Chiefs these past two years.

“I look forward to seeing how I might be able to help the franchise in the near future in other areas.”
Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Interesting. Everything I read/heard on tv pointed directly to his firing. Wonder what's going on there now.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe Haley intended to take over as OC all along but kept Gailey on during camp and preseason to help do the work of installing the offense, evaluating players, and all the other hundred little tasks that gotta get done before the season starts. Now that it's almost here, Haley moves him out so he can take over the primary game planning and play calling for the regular season. Just a thought.