Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
The thing about QBs, is talent can get outweighed by poor development. Yes, there are busts like Akili Smith and Ryan Leaf. But, I still feel if Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, or David Carr had a good situation and time to develop, they may have been superb NFL QBs. Stafford has the tools, he has shown some signs of greatness already, but if this hinders him, it may not matter how "good" he is.
How is Joey different than Akili?

Both busts in my eyes. I don't see their environment being significantly different.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not so much "development" as it is perception. if a kid has trouble adjusting to the game speed, and if he's not getting much help, taking some sacks...the media starts calling him a bust after 3 or 4 games and that gets in your head. The difference between playing to win and playing to not screw up is great. Add into that taking a bunch of sacks, getting rattled and playing afraid...you're done.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 PM    (permalink
DeCrunkMAn
Rookie

DeCrunkMAn hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Derrick Williams will turn into a star with Calvin johnson on the other side of the field. The Lions are slowly growing and having Stafford will do some good. Even if he wins 1 game all year, that's still an improvement over last year :)
DeCrunkMAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:45 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCrunkMAn View Post
I think Derrick Williams will turn into a star with Calvin johnson on the other side of the field. The Lions are slowly growing and having Stafford will do some good. Even if he wins 1 game all year, that's still an improvement over last year :)
I hope you're right about Williams. He's been pretty bad so far. If he wasn't such a high pick, he probably would've been cut.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:51 PM    (permalink
DeCrunkMAn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I hope you're right about Williams. He's been pretty bad so far. If he wasn't such a high pick, he probably would've been cut.
Well his entire career he had no-names throwing at him and he still managed to be a 3rd round pick. I'd say he's been pretty bad so far because Stafford/Williams are still adjusted to the NFL game speed. I'm saying now that 3 years from now Williams be a great #2 receiver.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well his entire career he had no-names throwing at him and he still managed to be a 3rd round pick. I'd say he's been pretty bad so far because Stafford/Williams are still adjusted to the NFL game speed. I'm saying now that 3 years from now Williams be a great #2 receiver.
He'll certainly get single coverage but he looked slow out of his cuts in the game i saw them play.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hope so. Though it'll be ironic that he's the WR named Williams who pans out for the Lions in the end, haha.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In fact thinking about it...if Stafford is a baller, the o-line shouldnt make a hell of allot of difference.

Im a Steelers fan, so over the last few years ive seen allot of bad o-line play. Big Ben got sacked nearly 50 times and got hit on something stupid like half of his pass attempts. He still manage to get things done. If stafford can make good decisions and avoid critical errors, he should still make enough big plays to make this move worthwhile.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:26 PM    (permalink
DeCrunkMAn
Rookie

Cowboys fan here btw But im still wishing to see the Lions become a force in the NFL after being crappy ever since...well the beginning of time LOL

I think Stafford/C. Johnson/Pettigrew/Williams will light it up. You guys have the players to be great. Hopefully Stafford can become that leader you guys need.
Originally Posted by Benn-O,Aug 24 2009, 04:21 PM
didn't you get kicked out of that club on 6th street cuz of your pants? oh right, you did.

bouncer was feeling your jnco's i guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERO,Aug 26 2009, 04:16 PM
i prefer my women like i do my scotch....12 yrs old w/a splash of coke.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
People said this about Matty Ice last year...so you never know, it might work out ok.

Hes got some good young recievers around him, and i think Kevin Smith is going to be a good everydown back. If he can avoid mistakes, and utilize Megatron and Pettigrew properly, i can see him doing pretty well this year.
Yeah, but the only reason Matty Ice started imo is because Turner was killing it and the offensive line did what NO ONE expected it to do and actually gelled early with young and inexperienced or cast off pieces.

Really, there is no way Matt Ryan should have started based on what Atlanta had last year on paper. Their line and running game came together better than even the most homer of atlanta fans expected.

I can't see detroit doing that. Stafford could be ok, like everyone is cautiously optimistically saying, but I think he'd be better off starting half the year like Eli Manning did after the team finds which areas of their game are most effective.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stafford is not going to have a Matt Ryan type rookie year. He will throw a lot of INT's, but he will also make a lot of long completions. The important thing is he gets a lot of work and stays healthy. He's probably always going to be a Brett Favre/Jay Cutler style QB who takes lots of risks, makes lots of big plays and throws his fair share of INT's.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

The decision to start Stafford furthers my belief that Kevin Smith will run for 1400 yards.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
How is Joey different than Akili?

Both busts in my eyes. I don't see their environment being significantly different.
Every play in college for Akili Smith had "right" or "left" associated with it to tell which side of the field he looked at.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really dont think its the right decision to start Stafford right off the bat. I didnt buy into his hype last off season, I think he needs some time to sit and learn before he starts in the NFL. If I were the coach Id wait til around mid season to start giving him some time

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Rooo
Rookie

Rooo could make a wolverine purr.Rooo could make a wolverine purr.Rooo could make a wolverine purr.Rooo could make a wolverine purr.Rooo could make a wolverine purr.Rooo could make a wolverine purr.Rooo could make a wolverine purr.Rooo could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Every play in college for Akili Smith had "right" or "left" associated with it to tell which side of the field he looked at.
Not necessarily true.
Rooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:33 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I'm stunned. Stunned, I tell you.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stafford will finish the year with a 158.4 QB rating after he breaks the QB rating system.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Saints 4 Lyfe
Veteran

Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bad news for Stafford. Grant and Smith will play.

Last edited by Saints 4 Lyfe : 09-08-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Saints 4 Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints 4 Lyfe View Post
Bad news for Stafford. Grand and Smith will play.
Grand or Grant? In better news for Stafford, so will the Saints corners and this guy, Calvin Johnson. Might have heard of him?

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 PM    (permalink
NotRickJames
Veteran

NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Bad choice.
Agreed, whole-heartedly.

He's been terrible so far, no need to throw him to the dogs so early. Did they learn nothing from Harrington (well, I thought Harrington sucked anyway)?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There have been Quarterbacks who have succeeded when thrown into the fire and inversely. I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I think the good Quarterbacks come through eventually, regardless of circumstance. I don't think David Carr would have been better than Aaron Rodgers had the situations been reversed.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Saints 4 Lyfe
Veteran

Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints 4 Lyfe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Grand or Grant? In better news for Stafford, so will the Saints corners and this guy, Calvin Johnson. Might have heard of him?
Grant, you're right. I was typing too fast.

Jabari Greer makes me worry a lot less.
Saints 4 Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotRickJames View Post
Agreed, whole-heartedly.

He's been terrible so far, no need to throw him to the dogs so early. Did they learn nothing from Harrington (well, I thought Harrington sucked anyway)?
Terrible is a massive stretch. He hasn't been great but he's been decent enough and Keary Colbert make his stats seem worse than they should.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote