Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 09-11-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So apparently Jarvis Jones made an impact in his first game. Damn, I wanted UGA to get him. :(
Old 09-11-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
Its a new season ppl what happened last season and the season before that doesnt matter anymore....stanford and osu are in the past. Now we're just looking forward to smackin Pryor around a lil bit. I just hope he doesnt blow us a new one ha
USC just needs to come out and win the games that they are suppose to win. Year in and year out we can be in the arguement of whos the best team at the end of the year, but we always lose one game that we should not lose. Everyone knows when its a big game, and its on the big stage we are gonna come ready to play....but we need to win the games that we are suppose to win.

Fight on
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sad week for Trojan fans, another year wasted in a way, another year they will miss out on going undefeated and lose to a second term team. However I must say Washington is a very good football team, better than Oregon State last year and by far better than Stanford a few years ago. Jake Locker is one of the best quarterback prospects in the nation from a physical skills standpoint.

Ridiculous how bad Corp played, it was flat out awful. What Mustain gets playing time next? Why not, Corp was just terrible. And they are really missing Johnson at receiver, it is kind of a shock how little depth they have at that position. The running backs are doing well and hopefully McKnight can get over his injury quickly, not luck they really starting tanking on offense when he went down. The tight ends are a big disappointment I must say, thought McCoy would be producing more than he has.

On defense, even without Mays they were still pretty damn good, wonder why Bryant is not playing more at corner but clearly they have a lot of injury issues. Perry, he sure played well, and Griffin is doing a little better but still not dominating like he should.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was impressed with the SC defense, you dont have the great linbacking corps but this one is pretty good. The defensive line with Spicer, Casey and Griffin is better to me than the Cedric Ellis, Lawrence Jackson one of a few years ago. They sacked Locker 4 times and the speed they threw at him in the pass rush would probably have got a lesser athlete much more than that.

As for their shot a title i think realistically when you lose a Sanchez, a Rey Rey, a Cush and a Matthews you arent going to be playing for a title. they can still get to the Rose Bowl if they beat Cal.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I was impressed with the SC defense, you dont have the great linbacking corps but this one is pretty good. The defensive line with Spicer, Casey and Griffin is better to me than the Cedric Ellis, Lawrence Jackson one of a few years ago. They sacked Locker 4 times and the speed they threw at him in the pass rush would probably have got a lesser athlete much more than that.

As for their shot a title i think realistically when you lose a Sanchez, a Rey Rey, a Cush and a Matthews you arent going to be playing for a title. they can still get to the Rose Bowl if they beat Cal.
I think Chris Galippo is a future 1st rounder. very impressed with his game.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
I think Chris Galippo is a future 1st rounder. very impressed with his game.
Totally agree, to me the LB crew is very good just not with the experience the former group had.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What was up with Luther Brown celebrating that tackle after that 5 or so yard run? I lol'd

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What was up with Luther Brown celebrating that tackle after that 5 or so yard run? I lol'd
Yeah I hope Ken Norton got into him about that. What a useless play, acting all tough like he had not idea what was going on or where they were on the field or what time it was.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Stafon Johnson hurt in some sort of weight room accident. Tough year for injuries down in L.A.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Stafon Johnson hurt in some sort of weight room accident. Tough year for injuries down in L.A.
i read that a freaking weight bar dropped on his throat, ouch...
Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yep, rushed to er

bench pressing and bar dropped on his throat; had a spotter too

likely out for year

weird injury; usually it drops on your chest

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Time to revive this thread, I'm officially reinstated at SWDC.

Jurrell Casey is one of the best DT's in the nation.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:07 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This offense is getting better and better every week, and I think Barkley is getting better by the minute. They struggle with short yardage but i think that is something that will come.

The defense is well....your typical USC defense lol.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:02 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is it just me or does it seem like this defense is even better than the defense of years past. I know we had a bunch of marquee names like lawrence jackson, sedrick ellis, rey rey, keith rivers etc. But this defense looks just as good if not better than the years past.

we're actually doing something we've had trouble with in the past, getting sacks and getting to the quarterback. Jurrell Casey, Nick Perry, Everson Griffen, Chris Galippo, Michael Morgan, Kevin Thomas, Josh Pinkard and of course taylor mays.

very excited on what we can do.

Hopefully our offense is just a little more consistent. Maybe getting Rojo back will help with that.

Cal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8_Sx...e=channel_page
Wazzu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhGOJ...e=channel_page
Washington:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZYW...e=channel_page
Ohio State
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adh5WNRs2g0
San Jose St.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJAaIaWVO8

Last edited by soybean : 10-05-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Is it just me or does it seem like this defense is even better than the defense of years past. I know we had a bunch of marquee names like lawrence jackson, sedrick ellis, rey rey, keith rivers etc. But this defense looks just as good if not better than the years past.

we're actually doing something we've had trouble with in the past, getting sacks and getting to the quarterback. Jurrell Casey, Nick Perry, Everson Griffen, Chris Galippo, Michael Morgan, Kevin Thomas, Josh Pinkard and of course taylor mays.

very excited on what we can do.

Hopefully our offense is just a little more consistent. Maybe getting Rojo back will help with that.

Cal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8_Sx...e=channel_page
Wazzu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhGOJ...e=channel_page
Washington:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZYW...e=channel_page
Ohio State
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adh5WNRs2g0
San Jose St.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJAaIaWVO8
I think this is the best D-line in recent memory which is freeing up the LBs to make plays. Ellis and Jackson were huge but i think this one has them across the line.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Thanks for posting those videos!

Yeah it is not surprising they played so well against Cal considering what happened earlier in the week. Clearly that accident with Johnson put things in perspective, and increased the focus of the team and motivation.

Michael Morgan is becoming an outstanding player and Perry is a beast off the edge, very nice to see Griffen making some plays as well.

As long as Barkley stays healthy, they should be lights out the rest of the season.

And hopefully Johnson can come back and play football after such a horrible injury, that is flat out scary, he could have easily not been able to walk after that or even be dead. Hope he gains everything back and has a full recovery.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

What a disappointing game for USC, but after hearing Pete Carroll talk about the season and that game afterward, well there are no worries. No wonder why they are so successful, they should bounce back in a big way as long as they continue to do what they do and prepare and improve.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
What a disappointing game for USC, but after hearing Pete Carroll talk about the season and that game afterward, well there are no worries. No wonder why they are so successful, they should bounce back in a big way as long as they continue to do what they do and prepare and improve.
Yea people (in people I mean fans) are ripping USC for the performance against Oregon not realizing how young this team is on defense and Oregon is going to do THAT to just about anybody in the country. USC just ran into a buzz saw that game and I expect them to finish the season strong.
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdamal86 View Post
Yea people (in people I mean fans) are ripping USC for the performance against Oregon not realizing how young this team is on defense and Oregon is going to do THAT to just about anybody in the country. USC just ran into a buzz saw that game and I expect them to finish the season strong.
yeah i just hope this is our version of the 07 gators and not the end of something special :/
Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
yeah i just hope this is our version of the 07 gators and not the end of something special :/
I do not think the program being built at USC is going to end anytime soon. There isnt one high school player in the country that wouldnt love to come to SC, or at least consider it.

We were very young, but we are also very good....unfortunately the young part sticks out sometimes a little more than I would like.

Next year, and already very talented team gets that much better.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Only down side I can see to the roster is the fact that our young defensive backs are extremely suspect. Where is TJ Bryant and Wright? If we did not have the seniors in Mays, Pinkard and Harris, they would be flat out awful in pass coverage. Seriously Pinkard should be at safety but they are not even deep enough at corner so they put him out there again?

That is probably one of the biggest disappointments of the year, they need a major upgrade at defensive back and need young players to step up.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:51 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

man we got to fire rocky seto, this has gotten out of control.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:56 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I expect most of if not all the underclassmen to come back and make a run at a NC with a more experienced Matt Barkley under center. USC guys have too much pride to go out like this
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
man we got to fire rocky seto, this has gotten out of control.
Yeah I do not know what is going on there. I swear though it is their lack of defensive backs, seriously Pinkard should be a safety and they have no good corners and Kevin Thomas is having a bad year and Bryant is what injured? Sure never gets on the field. What happened to Shareece Wright?

Sad thing is, they are clearly not that deep because some of those linebackers should be benched, and some of the corners should be but they have no players behind them surprisingly.

The loss of McCoy is obviously hurting the offense and possibly Stafon Johnson was a major vocal leader on the team, because ever since that accident they have went down hill after that first game without him.

The offensive line is really hurting without O'Dowd as well, just not as dominating.

Then again, they looked like this at times with Sanchez as a sophomore, but the following year he was lights out. Mostly likely will happen with Barkley since he now has his feet wet.

Then again with Sanchez as a junior, they had a much better defense all around at linebacker, defensive back and the defensive line.

Quote:
I expect most of if not all the underclassmen to come back and make a run at a NC with a more experienced Matt Barkley under center. USC guys have too much pride to go out like this
I sure hope so.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:13 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
Yeah I do not know what is going on there. I swear though it is their lack of defensive backs, seriously Pinkard should be a safety and they have no good corners and Kevin Thomas is having a bad year and Bryant is what injured? Sure never gets on the field. What happened to Shareece Wright?

Sad thing is, they are clearly not that deep because some of those linebackers should be benched, and some of the corners should be but they have no players behind them surprisingly.
Wright was academically ineligible for the year, IIRC. Also, one of our top recruits, LB Frankie Telfort, was diagnosed with a heart problem before the season that prevented him from playing.

Right now the poor play of our LB corps sticks out like a sore thumb above anything else. However, as you noted, in the past we had the depth necessary to make adjustments on defense, and bench players who were proving to be a liability to the team. It's clear that it's no longer the case here.

This is Carroll's time to reload, and I don't expect him to fail us, well, because he never has. The next season or two will be a better indicator on which direction this USC program is heading.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote