Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:19 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Hiring a new DC to switch to a 3-4

If you're a team looking for a change on defense, and you want to switch to a 3-4 who do hire?

I know the popular answer is going to be Dick LeBeau and Dom Capers but let's leave them out of this since they are currently DC's that likely won't be going anywhere next off-season.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:39 AM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Romeo Crennel?
no bare feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The guy that would head my list would be Keith Butler: linebackers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers since 2003. The Steelers normally have top rated linebackers and Butler has been studying LeBeau's scheme for 6 years and is now in his 7th.

Other guys to consider are:

Al Groh
Romeo Crennel
Pepper Johnson

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Dean Pees? I know Belichick is the mastermind of the defense, but this is the 4th year that Pees has been coordinator under Belichick. New England's defensive ranks in that time are:

2006 - 2nd in points, 6th in yards
2007 - 4th in points, 4th in yards
2008 - 8th in points, 10th in yards
2009 - 7th in points, 6th in yards
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
The guy that would head my list would be Keith Butler: linebackers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers since 2003. The Steelers normally have top rated linebackers and Butler has been studying LeBeau's scheme for 6 years and is now in his 7th.

Other guys to consider are:

Al Groh
Romeo Crennel
Pepper Johnson
That's a great choice. It seems every few years, Pitt loses a top linebacker and then gets 2 more in its place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:04 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Butler from Pitt seems like a solid candidate. And Romeo still has upside as a DC too me.

diabsoule - you a pitt steeler fan?

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Diab's choices. Especially the Pittsburgh LB coach.

Ive been pimping Pepper Johnson for the past 2 to 3 years. I think he's ready to make the jump.

Not only was he LB coach under Bellichick, but he was also the dline coach. When he was their LB coach, they had McGinnest, Vrabel, Big Ted, and Bruschi in their prime.

When he became the dline coach, Seymour, Warren and Wilfork were dominant. The guy is good.

If youre a fan of the ZB, go with Butler. If you like more of a 2 gap traditional 3-4, go with Pepper.

I love both. If I had to choose, id probably go with Butler, but Pepper would be a good second choice.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
What about Dean Pees? I know Belichick is the mastermind of the defense, but this is the 4th year that Pees has been coordinator under Belichick. New England's defensive ranks in that time are:

Pees is very solid. Another guy to consider, who I felt was ready to make the jump last year and did when Rex Ryan was promoted HC for the Jets, is Mike Pettine. He started on the Ravens staff in 2002 and became their OLB coach in 2005. Rex Ryan speaks very highly of him and considers him his right hand man. Pettine is currently running the NY Jets defense right now as their DC.

Taken from the Jets official website: "Before he was promoted to OLB coach in 2005, Pettine assisted Ryan in 2004 coaching the defensive line. In 2002-03, Pettine used his computer expertise to help develop playbooks, scouting reports and video analysis for the defensive coaches. Through the years he has produced innovative coaching programs that utilize football video to develop playbooks and analyze game video."

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
Butler from Pitt seems like a solid candidate. And Romeo still has upside as a DC too me.

diabsoule - you a pitt steeler fan?
I'm a Saints fan first then a Steelers fan.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 09-28-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do not hire Mel Tucker, I can tell ya that. Although it doesn't help that the Jaguars are trying to run a hybrid and are putting players damn near everywhere - 4-3 lineman playing both 3-4 OLB and line, and 4-3 MLBs playing both 3-4 ILB and OLB. it's a damn mess

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Butler will take another job. If I am right, Butler declined the Cardinals' DC position because I guess he got promised the Steelers' position when LeBeau retires. I may not be exactly right, but I guess that is what I have heard and read.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
Do not hire Mel Tucker, I can tell ya that. Although it doesn't help that the Jaguars are trying to run a hybrid and are putting players damn near everywhere - 4-3 lineman playing both 3-4 OLB and line, and 4-3 MLBs playing both 3-4 ILB and OLB. it's a damn mess
I think Tucker has done decently, all things considered.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:30 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I don't think Butler will take another job. If I am right, Butler declined the Cardinals' DC position because I guess he got promised the Steelers' position when LeBeau retires. I may not be exactly right, but I guess that is what I have heard and read.
I think this is more of a hypothetical situation than anything.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It might be, but don't shoot the messager. I hope Butler stays on our staff because I think he would pick up where LeBeau left off.

If Marvin Lewis ever gets fired, I wouldn't mind him as a DC either.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eric Mangini will probably be available by next offseason
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
I dont think he could even get a job as a DC. With his ego, he wants all of the power and he wants to do everything his way. I think he could be a great DC but I dont know if any organization wants to deal with him.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
A little off topic, but if Mangini does get fired by the Browns, I would love to see Leslie Frazier get the job in Cleveland.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes but please, let's all believe in this situation.

Even though I hope Lebeau dies while gameplanning how to beat the Ravens in like 20ish yrs......

That would make him 91ish. That a long enough life.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:22 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
A little off topic, but if Mangini does get fired by the Browns, I would love to see Leslie Frazier get the job in Cleveland.
I like Frazier but think they could possibly find someone better.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dom Capers has been exceptional so far for us.

I didn't read the original post. Oops.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post

Dean Pees isn't bad, but honestly, if we could fire him and bring Crennel back today it wouldn't take much thought. While our defensive ranks have been solid from a statistical standpoint, our pass rush has died and gone to heaven. A major part of that is failure to take personnel to support it, but at least half of it is scheme. Not sure how much BB/Pees it is, but still, I don't like what's happened to our defense under Pees.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:10 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
I think Tucker has done decently, all things considered.
yeah yeah, I was being a bit melodramatic.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Dean Pees isn't bad, but honestly, if we could fire him and bring Crennel back today it wouldn't take much thought. While our defensive ranks have been solid from a statistical standpoint, our pass rush has died and gone to heaven. A major part of that is failure to take personnel to support it, but at least half of it is scheme. Not sure how much BB/Pees it is, but still, I don't like what's happened to our defense under Pees.
I agree. I'd LOVE Romeo Crennel back. Charlie Weis would be even better though - our playcalling this year has been atrocious.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wade Phillips 0.o

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote