Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

14 INTs one year and then everyone stopped throwing near him.

He was a monster
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:25 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
14 INTs one year and then everyone stopped throwing near him.

He was a monster
he wasn't just a monster.
he was a force of god. faster. stronger. quicker. smarter. and could hog tie you faster than you could yourself.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
I don't think that a guy who trained the way they did in the 50's and 60's could play with the players of today because of the training that players go through today. I just don't believe they would last. I mean sure they could makes some plays but they would get injured quick.
You need to watch some clips of Jim Brown from the 50s and 60s, and see the type of hits he took every time carried the ball. All the late hits, the dirty shots to the neck and the deliberate attempt to injure the man. Also consider those guys hardly wore any pads, and post-game therapy consisted of soaking in a tub of epsom salt. Jim Brown was one of the most physically tough, durable men to ever play the RB position, along with Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith.

Jim Brown would have been a star in any era, modern training or not. Any RB who's 6'2, 230, ox strong and runs in the 4.4 range is an alltime blue chipper in my book.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
GhostDeini
Rookie

GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini

Sorry but I can never recognize Deion Sanders as a dominating player w/o being able to tackle. That's just me. Now L.T., Butkus, Lott, Reggie White, & Ray Lewis are the most DOMINATING defensive players ever. I don't want to hear about Ham & Lambert those guys were 210 pounds and possibly on steriods. Throw Singletary in there. Sure he held down his position but was never the playmaker from sideline to sideline or run stuffer that Ray Lewis was.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:51 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDeini View Post
I don't want to hear about Ham & Lambert those guys were 210 pounds and possibly on steriods.
Lambert was 6'4" 220-225 and tough as nails.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:53 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lambert's skinny ass wasn't on anything but fresh air, LOL.

Ghost Deini, how can you list the most dominating defensive players ever and not have one from the 60s or 70s?? KC had a MLB every bit the equal of Ray Lewis, name of Willie Lanier, you should check out the file on him.

Some of you IMO need to get studied up on the history of the NFL before making lists that suggest the NFL didn't start playing games until 1980.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 10-02-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Lambert's skinny ass wasn't on anything but fresh air, LOL.

Ghost Deini, how can you list the most dominated defensive players ever and not have one from the 60s or 70s?? KC had a MLB every bit the equal of Ray Lewis, name of Willie Lanier, you should check out the file on him.

Some of you IMO need to get studied up on the history of the NFL before making lists that suggest the NFL didn't start playing games until 1980.
You can't fault guys just for not knowing. Although all the players listed have every right to be up there with players of the past.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:14 PM    (permalink
GhostDeini
Rookie

GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini GhostDeini

Butkus & Lewis are the best MLB's ever, period. And I've heard of Willie Lanier. I don't think I have to make a case for Butkus, self explanitory but Lewis carried a franchise to a Super Bowl, was named DPOY twice in two different schemes, and will retire with 30 plus int's and 30 plus sacks. No LB ever did that.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:33 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Lanier, ( 6'1,245) also carried his team to a SB title and finished his career with 27 INTs and was widely considered the hardest hitter in the game. He and Butkus were equals IMO, with Lanier being much more athletic with much greater range. Unfortunately both players competed during a time when tackles weren't officially recorded as stats by the league.

Ray Lewis is very good, great even, but I hate the hype he gets and the GOAT crap I'm sick of hearing.
Great players are of a type, and rarely is a player the greatest ever to play his position. Mike Singletary was also a 2 time DPOTY for Chicago.

Lanier, Butkus,( great, but way too hyped, strictly an in the box MLB), Nitchke, Singletary, Seau, and Lewis are the top MLBs bases on status, reputation, and production.

Rank them however you want, but if I were starting a team today, I'd take a 22 year old Seau in a slight push over all of them.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 10-02-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:20 PM    (permalink
will99890
Rookie

will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.

I know its very very early, but Patrick Willis ftw. Barring a catastrophic injury, I can't see him having any less than 8 pro bowls and a couple DPOYs, with at least a couple rings for my niners. Plus he's playing behind Aubrayo Franklin and Isaac Sopoaga. With a legit, Casey Hampton esque NT, P-Willie would be even beastlier.

As far as the argument about old time players, I'm only 20 and admittedly have only been seriously following football for about 7 years so I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to ranking players. I have to judge entirely on highlights and second hand accounts. I put a handful of players in the top tier like LT, Reggie White, Butkus, Lott, and Deacon. Ray Lewis is in that next group of elite players of the generation, but not one that transcends generations.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This guy deserves a mention for sure. Was so dominant that they had to change the rules. He was just on a whole different level. He was a 6'3 CB who was so physical but also had the ball skills to get 57 career INT's including 11 in one season.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't seen anyone mention Deacon Jones or Reggie White yet.

Deacon Jones played before the sack stat was implemented, but if you ask him, he has the record for sacks in a year. He thinks he had about 30 in one year.

Deacon Jones was arguably the greatest pass rusher ever

Reggie White was the definition of dominance when he played. What he did to the New England offensive line in the Superbowl was just ridiculous
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you ever read the book "The Blindside" you will learn that Lawrence Taylor was the most dominating player to ever play the game of football

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 AM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
If you ever read the book "The Blindside" you will learn that Lawrence Taylor was the most dominating player to ever play the game of football
Yes, but. My argument is for Reggie White, missed 2 whole NFL seasons, still put up 198 sacks. And you knew he was coming and still put up 198 sacks.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
No.

Fancy words do not sway votes. He was really amazing. Really amazing. Brian Boitano of the football field.

Unfortunately, there's about 7-10 other players i'd put on that side of the 'most dominating player ever' category. Many were special in their own way. I.E. Dick Lane, Dick Butkus, White, Huff, Lambert, Neon, Deacon Jones... They all are in that special category above the HoF imo. To separate which is the best would require metrics and categorization I don't think anyone has, especially when you use the word Dominant. Which implies, not necessarily 'best', but most above the cream.

Those who aren't can be gameplanned against, those that are the most dominant, cannot be. Dick Lane dictated his will, Reggie White dictated his will, LT dictated his will, Butkus dictated his will. Ray Lewis isn't quite in that echelon yet.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's Reggie White but there are flaws as to why. Because of my age and my favorite team. I'm obviously a bit biased, everyone is, and he played when I started to follow the game.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I think it's Reggie White but there are flaws as to why. Because of my age and my favorite team. I'm obviously a bit biased, everyone is, and he played when I started to follow the game.
Hence LT is the greatest defensive player ever.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This has nothing to do with this convo of greatest ever, but Ive always debated this in my own mind.

Who was better? Richard Dent or Charles Haley?

Thats a tough one for me personally. Im leaning towards Haley, but its close.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wait...hold up.

Brian Boitano?

Did we really just compare LT to Brian Boitano?

Worst.

analogy.

ever.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

I like awfullyquiet's definition of greatest ever dominating defensive players; those individuals who cannot be gameplanned against.

Most of the individuals listed thus far would fall into that category. Personally, as a Skins fan growing up, I have vivid memories of Joe Gibbs giving interviews on the Friday before games with George Michael about how they were scheming to block LT. LT is the reason Gibbs invented the h-back position, part tight end, part FB, to counter LT's pass rush.

I just think with so much history in the league and so many great players, it's hard to zero in on one player as the most dominating ever.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:37 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Any1 remember his game vs the Pats? Favre's only Super Bowl victory.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote