Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:43 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Where does clements rank?

I live in toronto and saw him play this year. He seemed like a shutdown CB. He was on fire for the games i watched (watched about 12 games, didnt see some due to blackout). Id say based on last season he was top 5. But where would he rank based on his entire career's worth or work?

Edit- i know he isnt worth his contract. Im talking about on the field play, just to clarify.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 03-03-2007 at 12:54 AM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:50 AM    (permalink
jblaze66
Rookie

jblaze66 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well he isn't the best CB in the league and thats how they are paying him.

Sig by Kramer
jblaze66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:51 AM    (permalink
dhoe20
Rookie

dhoe20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Not ranked 8 years 80 million dollars, lol that's for sure. He's not ranked #1 all time, even though that's what his contract says. lol
dhoe20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:53 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

He is somewhere in the 4-7 range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:56 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hes definetely a top 10 CB, maybe even a top 5 CB. No he isnt the top CB or the best defensive player, which is how he is getting paid but the fact is the paydays get bigger every year and with all the cap room teams have you had to know he was gonna get a major payday. I still think its a good signing for the 49ers because they filled a big need and got a great player, even if they did have to pay a lot for him.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:59 AM    (permalink
eastside49er

Top 3 or 4 CB in the league. I would only put Champ and McClaister above at this time.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
He is somewhere in the 4-7 range.
That's about where I put him. He's a very solid cover corner, but he's getting overpaid a bit. I expected him to. I couldn't imagine if Asante Samuel had hit the market, in my opinion he was the better option. He has been the superior player the past two years, as well as the younger player.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-03-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:43 AM    (permalink
holyschmidt

Bailey

McCalister
Clements
Hall
Samuels
Newman
Bly
Old 03-03-2007, 01:46 AM    (permalink
zoinks
Rookie

zoinks hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Clements is great, but that contract is beyond stupid.

Sure, they've got the room for it right now.... but it'll be interesting to see how the Clements contract affects them 3-4 years down the road, when it comes time to re-sign key players guys like Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, etc., and Clements is taking up one tenth of the team's entire salary cap.
zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:48 AM    (permalink
holyschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoinks View Post
Clements is great, but that contract is beyond stupid.

Sure, they've got the room for it right now.... but it'll be interesting to see how the Clements contract affects them 3-4 years down the road, when it comes time to re-sign key players guys like Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, etc., and Clements is taking up one tenth of the team's entire salary cap.
Umm, hello! Smith/Davis/Lawson/Moore are already signed for another 5 years. Niners still have 25+ million in cap room. Getting an extension done with Gore will be no problem for them.

Learn how the cap works please!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:57 AM    (permalink
jkb528
Rookie

jkb528 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Clements is a good corner, very good, but I dont even consider him "great", and nowhere near the elite corners in the game, like Champ. I remember two years ago when Chris Chambers torched him for over 200 yards and 3 TDs in a single game. People give Fred Smoot grief for getting smoked by Steve Smith, and rightly so, but Clements got toasted even worse. The 49ers sure do like overpaying for players from Buffalo. Remember Jonas Jennings... How'd he work out???
jkb528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:09 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not 8 year, 80 million dollar with 22 million guaranteed worthy.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:10 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb528 View Post
Clements is a good corner, very good, but I dont even consider him "great", and nowhere near the elite corners in the game, like Champ. I remember two years ago when Chris Chambers torched him for over 200 yards and 3 TDs in a single game. People give Fred Smoot grief for getting smoked by Steve Smith, and rightly so, but Clements got toasted even worse.
He had a really poor '05. I think it's because he became complacent, knowing he was going to be tagged by the team. Once he knew he was going to make a big deal, he stepped his game back up.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:24 AM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Obviously besides Champ, Clements is one of the best CBs in the league. I'd put him behind Cmac and Newman.
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:36 AM    (permalink
holyschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu View Post
Not 8 year, 80 million dollar with 22 million guaranteed worthy.
Once again, since you people can't comprehend this, the contract is 6 years 45 million w/ 22 guaranteed. Clements will not see years 7 and 8.

Someone pin this
Old 03-03-2007, 04:53 AM    (permalink
rocco31fb
Veteran

rocco31fb hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Now that he's got the money, he won't even be top 10.

Thanks eaglez.fan
rocco31fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:05 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside49er View Post
Top 3 or 4 CB in the league. I would only put Champ and McClaister above at this time.
LEIGH BODDEN BABY

:)

Chad Johnson said he (Leigh Bodden) was best CB east of Denver, but thats Chad Johnson.

Clements is really good, I just think he has a really hard time with the deep ball, but he is a great pick up for the 49'rs anyways and I wish we could have locked him up, but not for that money.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He plays like a top 5 CB at times but most of the time top 10 IMO.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:09 AM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyschmidt View Post
Once again, since you people can't comprehend this, the contract is 6 years 45 million w/ 22 guaranteed. Clements will not see years 7 and 8.

Someone pin this
Interesting point. I don't think alot of us even know the structure of it. So it is 6 years for 7.5 each year on average, and than it jumps up to 18 for each of the last 2 seasons?
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:09 AM    (permalink
edge_V

I wouldn't put him above Champ, McCalister, Reshean Mathis, or Asante Samuel.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:18 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodar21 View Post
Obviously besides Champ, Clements is one of the best CBs in the league. I'd put him behind Cmac and Newman.
no way is he 1 of the best as in top 3-5

hes from 6-10 range

he used to be Champ Bailey level but then he quieted down

heres a list in no order whos better

Bailey
Samuel
McAlister
Harris
Mathis
Newman
Winfield
^all those guys can be argued to be better than Clements
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
LEIGH BODDEN BABY

:)

Chad Johnson said he (Leigh Bodden) was best CB east of Denver, but thats Chad Johnson.

Clements is really good, I just think he has a really hard time with the deep ball, but he is a great pick up for the 49'rs anyways and I wish we could have locked him up, but not for that money.
I believe Shiver had a post, showing like four instances in which CJ said an opposing quarterback was the best he's ever faced.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:04 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_VIlma View Post
I believe Shiver had a post, showing like four instances in which CJ said an opposing quarterback was the best he's ever faced.
can we stop with the Chad Johnson said..

heres what i heard CJ say

-Bodden = best
- Clements = best in like '04 i think
- Bailey = best
- Asamaugha = 1 of the best
- Samuel cant cover him 1 on 1..and well CJ didnt do ****
- CJ said he was going to knock Rodney Harrison's helmet off..didnt happen

CJ is having fun and buttering up defenders..he can say anything he wants but hes either

a. Joking
b. on drugs
c. havign fun
d. lost his mind
e. just wants to praise a good defender
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Champ
C-Mac
Samuel
C-Wood
Nate

i know people are gonna question my list but who cares
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He didn't always match up with teams number one receivers this year because of our defense, but after the bye week he went on a tear and was great playing like one of the top guys right behind Champ Bailey, over the whole season he was probably top 15 but after the bye week he was definitely top 5 along with Rashean Mathis, Chris McAllister & Adam Jones.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote