Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-25-2009, 11:11 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Computer upgrade help

I looked for a tech thread, and noticed there was only one really old one. So I thought I might see if I could get some technical feedback from anyone knowledgeable on that stuff.

My Current Rig:
Anyway my current rig:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz (Rated at 3.7)
2.0g of RAM
ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7280) (256mg 3.0)
Running XP

(only just enough to run something like borderlands)

Here's some stuff I checked out I figured my case and peripherals are all working fine, the burner etc is all good, this HDD is fine as well so I could upgrade the other stuff with this: and maybe even not worry about the HDD since I've got a 300 gig running currently and I've got a 1TB external for extra storage.

My other option is to buy a case, PS, monitor, burner for an extra 3/400 and work harder and just go a new rig for around 800-$1,000, but I don't really want to do that when this PC is really fine for everything, just can't hit the high end.

Gigabyte GA-MA770 $104.00
Amd Phenom II X3 720 $149.00
XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB $170.00
4GB DDR2 RAM $ 59.00
Western Digital 640GB hDD $ 79.00

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 ATX AM2+/AM3 AMD770 PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 RAID 1394 HD Sound GBLAN Motherboard
http://pricespy.com.au/cat_6.html

Amd Phenom Ii X3 720 Black Edition Triple Core Processor AM3 2.8GHZ 7.5MB Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box
http://pricespy.com.au/cat_2.html

ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB graphics card
http://pricespy.com.au/cat_16.html

2x 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
http://pricespy.com.au/cat_7.html

Western Digital 640GB SATA 7200rpm hard drive
http://pricespy.com.au/cat_7.html

Total cost is about $560 or so, less without the hard drive. I tried to base it off a sweet spot AMD rig I saw online for around 500/700 US.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
what are you trying to accomplish, exactly? your core2 is a better processor than the one you're considering. what is that rating?

if you're just trying to play games, get a new 3d card. something like the radeon 4850 (or the 70 you're looking at) isn't bad if you want to stay with ati (otherwise, the nvidia 200 series are decent value).

you could probably also buy some new ram (you don't need more than 4gb).

if the thing is just running slow, forget the upgrade. go buy a new hd, something small but quick (iirc, there are 32 gb 10,000rpm drives that aren't over $100), uninstall XP from whatever it's currently on, then re-install it to the new drive. rinse and repeat once a year (obviously you wouldn't need to buy a new drive after that). just don't install anything but the OS to that drive.

beyond that, and without knowing what your end game is, i can't really add anything else.
I just want to be able to run the new games like Borderland and CoD: MW2 well without having little glitches or having to play it on ugly settings. If I can do that just buy buying some more ram and switching out a graphics card I'd happily just do that.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:08 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
I just want to be able to run the new games like Borderland and CoD: MW2 well without having little glitches or having to play it on ugly settings. If I can do that just buy buying some more ram and switching out a graphics card I'd happily just do that.
Processor and Video Card are the main gaming restrictions. They are used most heavily anyways. Ram is cheap so adding a gb or two is worth the cost imo.

If I were you I'd buy a video card that NJX mentioned or one you like and maybe just another gig or 2 of ram and see how it runs...I bet you'd be just fine with that...and spend just under 200 dollars.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php...ducts_id=91430

This card and 2 gig of ram would set me back just over $200.00

Anyway I can check this card will work with my system? I really am a n00blet at this, I should be able to install the card myself, changed one over before, but I know cards have specific requirements and I want to be sure I meet them before I buy anything.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:33 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php...ducts_id=91430

This card and 2 gig of ram would set me back just over $200.00

Anyway I can check this card will work with my system? I really am a n00blet at this, I should be able to install the card myself, changed one over before, but I know cards have specific requirements and I want to be sure I meet them before I buy anything.
most cards nowadays are pci-e I believe. Just check your MB and see if you have the slot available to fill with w/e type of card you choose.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Should be pretty painless, I'll have to double check and if it's all good, order tomorrow.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:12 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Definitley got the PS I got a 750w when I built this rig in the first place, my mobo has the PCI x16 slot it says it needs 1gig of mem which I have as well, should be pretty easy.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

are you in college/have a college email? Windows is running a deal $30 for college students. I guess you could use someone elses email if you need to.

http://gizmodo.com/5361767/college-s...ndows-7-for-30

Edit: Might just be for US and UK. oh here is the Aus link http://www.microsoft.com/australia/w...t-upgrade.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Last edited by niel89 : 10-26-2009 at 03:10 PM.
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bought a nvidia 260 for $170 last month. Great card. Only got it because I lost the fan control remote for my 8800 (which ran everything just fine). Other than that, I might add RAM because it's cheap. You really don't have much to do with it to play games no problem...

What's your power supply?

Like I said, you don't have much to do hardware-wise. Stick with your processor and mobo, they'll still be good for awhile yet. Only other thing is that I'd seriously look into Windows 7 if you have XP, especially if you want to add more than 1GB of RAM. It's just as fast, possibly faster than XP and has way more functionality.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I bought a nvidia 260 for $170 last month. Great card. Only got it because I lost the fan control remote for my 8800 (which ran everything just fine). Other than that, I might add RAM because it's cheap. You really don't have much to do with it to play games no problem...

Like I said, you don't have much to do hardware-wise. Stick with your processor and mobo, they'll still be good for awhile yet. Only other thing is that I'd seriously look into Windows 7 if you have XP, especially if you want to add more than 1GB of RAM. It's just as fast, possibly faster than XP and has way more functionality.
PSU is a top power 750w, I'll defnitely check out 7 should be able to afford it with the student discount and with the graphics card should be able to run aero.

THanks

Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post

I have a 260 as well, only complaint is that it's absolutely massive and barely fit in my case. I have to have the side off, even though I do that anyways. Great card other than that, though.