Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 10-11-2009, 08:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the way Jonathan Goff is laying wood, and after seeing his PS, I think right now Im gonna put DT as our biggest need.

We need a run stuffer inside. I know we signed Canty and Bernard, but remember, Alford is coming off an ACL, and both Robbins and Coffield both could be gone after this year.

I know some of that depends on the CBA, but its still a possibility that we could lose both, and quite honestly, I wouldn't mind if we lost Coffield. He's a very average NT.

I wouldn't mind some FA DTs either.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
With the way Jonathan Goff is laying wood, and after seeing his PS, I think right now Im gonna put DT as our biggest need.

We need a run stuffer inside. I know we signed Canty and Bernard, but remember, Alford is coming off an ACL, and both Robbins and Coffield both could be gone after this year.

I know some of that depends on the CBA, but its still a possibility that we could lose both, and quite honestly, I wouldn't mind if we lost Coffield. He's a very average NT.

Strong Safety? I like Michael Johnson more than many giants fans, but he's god awful against the run and our SS needs to be able to play the run.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Strong Safety? I like Michael Johnson more than many giants fans, but he's god awful against the run and our SS needs to be able to play the run.
yeah definitely. but with this safety class, im thinking we can land a quality SS who fits our needs in round 2.

Honestly, its gonna come down to BPA by the time the draft arrives.

But a run clogging DT would help this team more than anything else right now. We could nab one in FA though.

Although Reese has shown that he doesn't like getting big DTs like Gabe Watson and Casey Hampton, both of whom will be FAs this year.

top 3 needs as of right now are

MIKE
run stuffing DT
run thumping SS

Basically, run defense. We need to shore up our run defense.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:49 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I forgot to mention this, but Brandon Spikes looked studly against LSU.

He'd look good in Giant blue.

As much as I like Sintim, man it would be sweet if we got Malauaga instead. If only he fell just a little bit more... :(

Rey was the best blitzing MIKE ive seen in quite some time.

McClain and Spikes are the 2 best MIKEs in this draft. Another name that interests me is Eric Norwood.

I know he's not your traditional inside backer, he's more of a pass rushiing OLB, but I think he may have potential inside in our scheme. He's not fast enough to be a 4-3 OLB, and I don't think he's really a good 3-4 OLB either.

I think he'd make a solid 3-4 ILB or a blitzing MIKE in our scheme. Our MIKE really is just a run thumper who can blitz and chase backs out of the backfield. Play a soft zone once in awhile.

I think Eric Norwood has that potential.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

actually, no nvm.

Im way off. Eric Norwood is another Clint Sintim. We already have that.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:42 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It will come down to the best player available at each pick.

Seriously, we have good young depth at almost every position

It may depend on whether there is a new CBA; without it guys like Cofield, Dockery, Whimper, CC Brown, Wlkinson, Hixon and Moss are not free agents.

With the way Robbins is playing, he could be brought back if the price is right.
Even if Robbins and Cofield leave, the cupboard is hardly bare with Canty, Alford and Bernard, but I get the feeling the Giants keep Cofield around at a reasonable price.

Yes we could use a DT and a S to develop to add into the rotation for the future; other than that we have capable young guys in the system, so we can cherry pick the best possible upgrades at a range of positions.

Two guys I am keeping an eye on for the Giants are S Nate Allen and DT Dan Williams; I think both could be good fits for the Giants system
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I do not want us to resign Coffield, unless its for cheap and as a backup player. He is not starting caliber imo, he's a very average player.

He's durable, but he's so average. A NT who can plug in the holes inside vs the run would do wonders for this defense. Whenever teams want to run inside on us over Center, its like our DTs part like the red sea. The NT has to do a better job of holding his anchor and clogging those run lanes.

Coffield even with all the attention our DEs get, doesn't do that. Hes a very average player.

Im hoping for the short term, Canty can replace him (when he finally gets healthy) but I think for our long term future, Canty is better at UT. So if we can find an anchor in the draft, I'm all for it.

I wouldn't resign Hixon unless its for cheap as a 4th WR, maybe not even then. He's only good for returning punts and kicks. I rather see Barden on the field honestly over him.

CC, Id be open to resigning him. Let's see how he does, so far he's doing better than I thought, but he hasn't really played anyone worth a damn yet either.

With Bruce Johnson showing potential, Id let Dockery walk unless the price is right. Id like to keep us 5 deep at CB if possible. Only for the right price though.

I think resigning Whimper is a must. The guy has potential as our future RT, and I think at the very least, he makes for a very solid backup swing tackle. Id like us to extend during the season to be honest.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I repeat Vince Oghobaase bbd, he's a big strong kid who always gets the push and often is able to use his long arms and strength to get through and break plays up. Him and Canty with Alford and Bernard on the bench would be awesome. Although I'd also love to see us bring in a guy like Reshad Jones who is a versatile safety who can do a lot of things from that SS position.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 10-13-2009, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think resigning Whimper is a must. The guy has potential as our future RT, and I think at the very least, he makes for a very solid backup swing tackle. Id like us to extend during the season to be honest.
Agreed on Whimper,

actually he came in at RG in the raiders game and did really well, in fact he was perhaps more powerfull than Snee

He is very athletic, so I expect he would do ok on pulls and traps

Whimper can play RT for sure, but I wonder if he could learn LG and push Seubert...
Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Our offensive line is set down the road with one more young lineman. Starting next season I expect to see
LT - Beatty
LG - Diehl/Seubert
OC - O'Hara/Seubert
RG - Snee
RT - Diehl/Whimper

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If O'Dowd from USC comes out and he's available, I really want us to draft him, I like him way better than Alex Mack, who was getting hype as one of the best C prospects in last few years. O'Hara is good, but he's getting old and I have seen him get pushed around by bigger DTs like Haynesworth way too much for my liking.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Im very open to us going after a Center. Id welcome that.

We can go in a number of directions this year.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alright, mock draft is over. I traded Manningham to the Rams for their second and 4th round picks and here's who I got:

32. Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois
33. Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse
64. Earl Thomas, S, Texas
96. Daryl Washington, ILB, TCU
97. Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
128. Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no! we're gonna sign Ryan Blaszczyk as an UDFA and keep the awesome streak of RU UDFA centers alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I love me some Earl Thomas.

Longhorns Legend got me up on him (i think it was him, or Thule, or both), and I think he's going to be a very good player.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I love me some Earl Thomas.

Longhorns Legend got me up on him (i think it was him, or Thule, or both), and I think he's going to be a very good player.
It was LL. We've been talking about him, but there are thoughts that he won't declare yet.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
It was LL. We've been talking about him, but there are thoughts that he won't declare yet.
That's the beauty of having all juniors and redshirt sophomores declaring. :)
Old 10-14-2009, 11:50 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want Myron Rolle. Always been a fan of his, but I think he could be a steal for us in the 3rd, hell maybe even the 2nd. I love his game and he's a smart kid obviously. If any coaching staff can get him on top of his game and back in shape physically, it's ours. I think if the BPA in the 1st isn't safety, it's a deep enough class we can grab one in the 2nd or 3rd and be perfectly fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I want Myron Rolle. Always been a fan of his, but I think he could be a steal for us in the 3rd, hell maybe even the 2nd. I love his game and he's a smart kid obviously. If any coaching staff can get him on top of his game and back in shape physically, it's ours. I think if the BPA in the 1st isn't safety, it's a deep enough class we can grab one in the 2nd or 3rd and be perfectly fine
I liike the kid as a man, but as a football player he's very mediocre and I'd be disappointed if we spent more than a 4th or 5th pick on him, and that's not considering he might not even pursue an NFL career.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
LetsGoGiants!
Rookie

LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.

I saw on a mock draft on another site, where the person had us taking Brian Price DT from UCLA. I saw him play against Oregon this week and I was pretty impressed. What do you guys think of this pick?

Thanks to Bonekrusher for the sweet sig.

NY Giants Super Bowl XLII Champs!
LetsGoGiants! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:

If there is no new CBA in place by next year (and Goodell has made it clear owners are preparing for that), then Free Agency will be a problem

Assuming the Giants are in the top 8 playoff teams (which looks likely at this point), the Giants will only be able to sign free agents as our current free agents sign elsewhere.

On top of that our only free agents will be Robbins, Clark and Carr

Players will need 6 years to become a free agent, meaning Hixon, Moss, Whimper, Cofield, Wilkinson, Dockery, and Brown (all of whom would be UFA with a CBA) would not be free agents, the Giants would retain their rights.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 10-14-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoGiants! View Post
I saw on a mock draft on another site, where the person had us taking Brian Price DT from UCLA. I saw him play against Oregon this week and I was pretty impressed. What do you guys think of this pick?
I haven't gotten a chance to check him out but I've read some really good things that make him seem like he should be the clear cut #3 DT after McCoy and Suh. So he'll probably be a top 20 pick, but there are a bunch of other gifted DTs I have seen who should be available if we don't end up going SS, which would be my preference.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

After Brandon Spikes suspension (what a terrible thing to do btw, he shouldve gotten more than a half game suspension), I hope he falls in this draft.

He's still a beast, and my favorite ILB prospect. Right now he's #1 on my target list.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Here is my thoughts of the draft/offseason (they really go together) from 2 Nov

Bear in mind I have taken into consideration the fact that we will see alot of underclassmen (likely substantially more than the approx 50 we have had in recent years).

I don't think you can separate the draft from the rest of the offseason process, they are very much interlinked imho

Quote:
What a difference a week makes. I thought the Eagles game will be a pivotal point in the season. Lets face it, we were soundly beaten in all phases by a team that was beaten by the Raiders just two weeks ago. I think the Saints showed teams how to beat the Giants deep and the Cardinals, and Eagles followed suit. I expect with teams like Atlanta, Dallas and San Diego we will see more of the same.

From recent performances, and where the team is at, I think we rebound to some degree, but it won’t be enough. I think we are looking at an 8-8 or 9-7 season with the Giants missing out on the playoffs to Dallas and/or Philadelphia.

Firstly, I am assuming there is a new collective bargaining agreement in place before next season. I think the NFLPA and the NFL will make an agreement, probably at the last minute in early Jan.

Here are my current thoughts for the 2010 offseason

Coaching Carousel
For right or wrong I think Coughlin could be fired this year. It is true that no-one works harder than Coughlin, but it seems at several points this season, we have been out-coached.

Our players haven't executed well at times, but also there have been several time when I don’t think our players have been put in the best position to compete and win games.

Our attiude is strong, we have the work ethic, committment and team focus. No-one prepared harder than Coughlin, but his system is reasonably rigid and doesn't seem to adjust well in games. But for whatever reason, this team doesn't have the tactical agility to adapt to dynamic in game situations.

I can’t help thinking if we had Spagnuolo as Head coach instead of Coughlin, we would be a very different team. Bottom line: Barring a monumental turn around, I think we will be looking for a new head coach.

Head Coach – Charlie Weis
Weis is a very, very good offensive minded coach. He develops very good schemes and more importantly, can make in game adjustments (which is my main criticism of Coughlin). We know he can explosive offenses (often without super star players). He now has head coaching experience and has proven he can build a team . Being head coach at Notre Dame is excellent experience of being under the media spotlight in NY. The fact that the Giants are his ideal job is gravy.

Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach – John Fox
With Weis as Coach, we need an experienced guy to handle the defense, particularly someone who is experienced with 4-3 defenses. I can’t see Fox surviving the annual end of season coaching purge. But there is no doubt that Fox is a very very good defensive coach, particularly with defensive backs. Fox has an excellent defensive mind, has had success with the Giants and is a good fit. I think Fox will build on the excellent groundwork we have from Spagnuolo/Sheridan and take it to the next level.

Special Teams Coach – Brian Polian
Currently Weis’ special team coach at Notre Dame; Brian is a very good coach and comes from the famed Polian family who have had much success in the NFL. Special teams has been a problem for some time for us, changes are needed.

Other coaches
For the most part I would keep the rest of the coaching staff. They are very good at what they do and have strong relationships with the players. This includes Gilbride, whom I think is very good schematically, knows the players well and perhaps has been hindered a little by Coughlin and his structured approach – but have no doubt Weis will be calling the plays.

Notes:
1. I have assumed that Aaron Ross is moved to FS over the back half of this season and does really well. This will allow Phillips to move into SS.

2. Diehl continues to struggle against speed rushers. William Beatty will seriously push him in camp; if Beatty is up to the task, Diehl will slide inside to LG and pushing Seubert to the bench.

Free Agency

Giants Free Agents
Carr, Hixon, Moss, Whimper, Cofield, Robbins, Clark, Wilkinson, Dockery, CC Brown, Feagles

Resign – Hixon, Cofield and Carr to reasonable contract extensions (I assume Feagles will retire).

Consider contract extensions for Alford, Bradshaw, Umenyiora, Boss, Smith, M Johnson

Release Antonio Pierce
He proved he still has ability, but he is declining. The big reason is to save $ 4.75m against the cap. There is a lot to like about Pierce, but his contract far outweighs his performance.

Rocky Bernard has not performed as expected so far, and his status will be reviewed during the off-season. But Robbins will be gone and Bernard does provide solid veteran depth. If Cofield can be resigned then Bernard is likely on the way out particularly if we upgrade the position in the draft. This is a numbers game, Cofield isn't a super star, but he is young, experiences and is a very solid run stopper, particularly on running downs and he complements Alford and Canty well; plus he should be reasonably priced. Dominating the trenches up front will be a priority particulalry at DT.

This means Pierce, Moss, Whimper, Robbins, Clark, Wilkinson, Dockery, Brown and quite possibly Bernard will be plying their trade elsewhere in 2010.

Salary cap wise, I think we will be in decent shape. I think we will have enough for a very solid (but perhaps unspectacular) offseason.

Free Agency Signings

LB Demeco Ryans, Houston.
Ryans is a quality, young (25) MLB that is a huge upgrade over Pierce. He has not been happy with Houston and I think the Texans will choose to franchise Robinson instead of Ryans, particularly with the emergence of Cushing. Certainly the Texans have been very reluctant to pay him what would have been a reasonable deal, which further indicates that he could be available. Ryans is an ideal fit for the middle of our defense. The Giants give him the opportunity to play on a legitimate playoff contender behind a dominant Dline.
*other options include Barrett Ruud, D'Qwell Jackson, Derrick Johnson and Karlos Dansby

CB Richard Marshall, Carolina
A good young (24) CB on a bad team. Marshall is a the type of CB we like and gives as a very good group of corners. Marshall also has more speed than Webster, Ross or Thomas giving us better match ups against quicker receivers (which have caused us some problems). This also gives us the option of moving Aaron Ross (or perhaps Terell Thomas) to FS if need be. The Giants give Marshall the chance to play on a legitimate play-off team with his former head coach.
*other options include Dunta Robinson and Marlin Jacskon

TE Anthony Fasano, Miami
Fasano is a young (25) blocking TE to complement Boss and Beckum. The Giants give him the chance to play on a legitimate play-off team in his home town. Fasano is solid at best in the passing game and is really a very good #2. Also there are alot of good receiving TEs available in both free agency and the draft.
*other options include Jeff King

Draft

Going into the draft we don't have a huge amount of needs and can generally take the best player available. We do need to upgrade LB, DT and secondary depth at some point. I have assumed the Giants are picking in the 15-20 range.

1. DT Arthur Jones, Syracuse (6-4, 293, 5.05)
(2007-09: 31 GP, 130 Tackles, 27.5 TFL, 6 sacks)
Jones is a very strong, mobile NT, who is very disruptive despite regular double teams. John Fox knows the value of being strong up front. Jones gives us that anchor we haven’t really had since Keith Hamilton and substantially upgrades our DT rotation.

2 OT Selvish Capers, West Virginia (6-5, 298, 5.00)
Capers is the powerfull, agile, athletic bookend OT who could play eithe side. Capers is too good to pass up. We did get Beatty last year, but McKenzie has had injuries at times and Diehl struggles with speed rushers. Capers gives us a pair of bookend tackles to develop for the future, with Diehl likely moving back to LG eventually.

3. S Darrell Stuckey, Kansas (6-1, 205, 4.50)
(2007-09: 34 GP, 226 tackles, 10 TFL, 1.0 sack, 7 Int (71 yds), 15PBU, 1 QBH, 3 FR, 3 FF)
Stuckey is a good all round safety. Deep coverage has been a real problem and there is some uncertainty with Phillips long term future. He gives us more quality depth and another stud special teamer.

4. LB Pat Angerer, Iowa (6-1, 235, 4.50)
(2008-09: 22 Games, 196 tackles, 10 TFL. 2 sacks, 6 int (72 yds), 7 PBU, 3 QBH, 2 FF)
Angerer is a fast, athletic, instinctive but undersized MLB who may shift outside to WLB for us. Boley has shown how a fast, athletic WLB transforms our defense, Angerer gives us valuable depth and a stud special teamer.

5. CB Syd’Quan Thompson California (5-9, 191, 4.50)
(2008-09:34 GP, 179 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 6 Int (204 yards), 30 PBU, 1 FF)
Thompson is a very good all round CB, that lackes elite measurables. Thompson has been very productive and can also return punts. The CB class is very deep, but Thompson is excellent value here providing good depth and and excellent special teamer.
Giants trade up to the late 4/early 5 using the 7th round pick

6. P Zoltan Mesko, Michigan (6-5, 231, 4.75)
(2006-09: 45 GP, 237 P, 10,074 yds, 42.5 ave, 66 Long, 73 I20, 0 blocked)
Mesko is a strong leg punter who is used to cold weather football. Mesko is an ideal replacement for Feagles and helps considerably with Field position.

Possible Roster

- With this offseason in mind, my 2010 depth chart would be something like:

Offense (26)
QB - Manning, Carr, Bhomar
WR - Smith, Nicks, Manningham, Hixon, Barden, Hagan
TE - Boss, Fasano, Beckum/Johnson
RB - Jacobs, Bradshaw, Brown, Ware
FB - Hedgecock
OT - McKenzie, Beatty, Capers
OG - Snee, Diehl, Seubert, Boothe
OC - O'Hara, Koets

Defense (25)
DE - Tuck, Umenyiora, Kiwanuka, Tollefsen
DT - Canty, Alford, Jones, Cofield
SLB - Sintim, Kehl, DeOssie (LS)
MLB - Ryans, Goff, Blackburn
WLB - Boley, Angerer
CB - Webster, Marshall, Thomas, Thompson, B Johnson
SS – Phillips, Stuckey
FS - Ross, M Johnson

Special Teams (2)
K - Tynes
P - Mesko

Last edited by Big_Pete : 11-03-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Coughlin could go 5-11 for the season and still not get fired. And rightfully so, he shouldn't get fired. The players buy into his system.

If anyone is gone, its Sheridan. I could see John Fox possibly coming back, the Giants have a proud history of assistants that would love to coach here, so I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a quality assistant to replace Sheridan.

Although I think we need to give Sheridan more time before we write him off. He's not as bad as we think he is.

Im all for DeMeco Ryans, but I don't know if he fits our system. We need a run thumper, and Ryans is more of smaller guy. The Texans haven't exactly been dominant against the run either, Ryans is more of a tackle compiler than a playmaker.

I love Ryans, love his intelligence, work ethic, leadership etc, but Im not sure if he's what we need in the middle.