Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 11-06-2009, 06:54 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Coughlin could go 5-11 for the season and still not get fired. And rightfully so, he shouldn't get fired. The players buy into his system.

If anyone is gone, its Sheridan. I could see John Fox possibly coming back, the Giants have a proud history of assistants that would love to coach here, so I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a quality assistant to replace Sheridan.

Although I think we need to give Sheridan more time before we write him off. He's not as bad as we think he is.

Im all for DeMeco Ryans, but I don't know if he fits our system. We need a run thumper, and Ryans is more of smaller guy. The Texans haven't exactly been dominant against the run either, Ryans is more of a tackle compiler than a playmaker.

I love Ryans, love his intelligence, work ethic, leadership etc, but Im not sure if he's what we need in the middle.
You are right about Coughlin and Sheridan, perhaps that was frustration from the Eagles gamel but they do have to lift their games.

I disagree agout Ryans; the very thing that hurts us most with Pierce is a lack of mobility. Thumpers are nice, but we need mobile thumpers who can cover. They are exceedingly rare.

If we need a true thumper on certain downs, we do have guys like Sintim and Goff. I don't see any reason to bring in a "thumper" style MLB, particularly early.

I have assumed that Fox is DC, the key to the defense will be strength up front. Ryans is a very similar style of player (perhaps a little better); it is worth remembering that he doesn't have the help up front, nor a great secondary.

Regardless these are my current thoughts, I am curious to see how they change over the season.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
touchdownmaker
Rookie

touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.touchdownmaker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have to agree with Big Pete. Most of the LBs we have drafted have been strong against the run, and weak in coverage. Pierce was a great asset early with us because his quick feet allowed him to take advantage of his reads. Its clear we need an athletic Mike that can drop into coverage. You pair a guy like that with Boley, we will be in good shape.

I think a run stuffing DT also allows your athletic backers to stuff the gaps. You really don't need Ray Nitschke these days. You need a guy who can get to the right gap quickly. Once he is there, any backer worth his salt should be able to make the tackle.

I think we should be very aggressive in filling the holes we have at the Mike spot and at Safety. We don't know how Kenny Philips will play once he comes back. Thankfully, there are a lot of Safeties in this years draft.
Here are a list of some potential Safeties in next year's free agent class:
O.j. Atogwe
Nick Collins
A. Bathea
Darren Sharper
Roman Harper
Atari Bigby
touchdownmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some names of guys that I can realistically be available to us currently that I would be interested in.

I'm not saying these are the only guys that id like, just that ive seen em and like what they have to offer, and wouldnt mind them in Giant blue.

Brandon Spikes - ILB
Nate Allen - Safety
Sean Weatherspoon - OLB/ILB
Jermaine Gresham - TE
Earl Thomas - Safety

I haven't scouted any DTs, but Id be very open to drafting a run stuffing DT in round 1, or even a Center.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jamar Chaney intrigues me. I don't think he's as big as he's listed. He doesn't have overly great speed, he doesn't hit guys in the phonebooth with authority.

He seems like a solid guy, nothing stands out but very solid.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll hop on the Earl Thomas bandwaggon, although i dont think he has enough weight on him to play safety immediately.

We need to find a way to get Rolando McClain on our team. Imagine Boley, McClain, and Sintim as our starting 3 LBs. How idealistic would that be for our defensive scheme? McClain has such range that we could essentially use Boley and him interchangeably to cover these shifty runningbacks and tightends that seem to kill us. Kenny Phillips could essentially be a rover type player with his varied skillset. All we need now is a cover safety that can make wrapup tackles when needed.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love for us to trade up for McClain. He's been one of my favorite players to watch all years.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know a MLB like McClain or Spikes would be great, but I'm more concerned with our DT position. I'd for us to move back in the first and grab Vince Oghobaase, a S like Reshad Jones or Nate Allen and Matt Tenant. I want to see what Goff can do with this team, especially if we improve the DT play.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:09 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
I know a MLB like McClain or Spikes would be great, but I'm more concerned with our DT position. I'd for us to move back in the first and grab Vince Oghobaase, a S like Reshad Jones or Nate Allen and Matt Tenant. I want to see what Goff can do with this team, especially if we improve the DT play.
I'd be fine with a DT also depending on who it is. I always dream of what a dominant DT would be able to open up for our pass rush.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Considering the fact that we don't have a huge amount of needs and that we may be picking alot earlier than we would like...

It is worth trading up to pick a guy like Eric Berry?

If we add someone like Berry at FS (shifting Phillips to SS), this defense looks extremely formidable.

Eg: If we end up at say #16, by the trade value chart, we could trade our 1st, 2nd and 2010 2nd and end up in the #5 area. There are alot of teams around there in need of alot of help and could really use the extra picks.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 11-11-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

MIKE, DT, Safety, Center.

I wouldn't mind any of those positions in the 1st. If we do have a top 15 pick, then I want us to move up and nab Rolando McClain. He's the next Patrick Willis.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Considering the fact that we don't have a huge amount of needs and that we may be picking alot earlier than we would like...

It is worth trading up to pick a guy like Eric Berry?

If we add someone like Berry at FS (shifting Phillips to SS), this defense looks extremely formidable.

Eg: If we end up at say #16, by the trade value chart, we could trade our 1st, 2nd and 2010 2nd and end up in the #5 area. There are alot of teams around there in need of alot of help and could really use the extra picks.

Just thinking on this a little further...

If we could trade up to get to somewhere around the top 5, who do you think we should get (assuming they are available)

S Eric Berry, OT Russel Okung, DT Ndamukong Suh, DT Gerald McCoy or maybe even WR Dez Bryant?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

If we had a top 5 pick I'd go Suh.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Yeah, if we get a top 5 pick (highly unlikely though), I want Suh.

A realistic option in the draft for us is Dan Williams. I think he's a pretty good NT, and we need one of those. We'll be fine at UT with Canty, but we need a true NT. We haven't had one of those in a long time.

And Williams can create a push too. He's not just a run clogger.

We have options. I think theres no question though that we need to address MIKE, SS, and NT in the draft.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:12 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

It wouldn't surprise me if the Giants went after Greg Hardy though. I love Hardy, and have been a fan of his for awhile, but I would be upset at that move if we made it.

We have more pressing needs. But it wouldnt shock me if the Giants nabbed him anyway.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

A realistic option in the draft for us is Dan Williams. I think he's a pretty good NT, and we need one of those. We'll be fine at UT with Canty, but we need a true NT. We haven't had one of those in a long time.

We have options. I think theres no question though that we need to address MIKE, SS, and NT in the draft.
Definitely agreed that Suh is the prospect who would most benefit this team.

As for our NT situation I've been on the Vince Oghobaase bandwagon for a while, he's long, but plays with great strength and leverage which is why I think he'll be a great fit at NT in a 4-3.

I'm going to disagree on MIKE being a need, sure if there's no great value at SS or DT and we have a shot at a guy like McClain or Spikes who would be great fits for our D I would go in that direction, but I think we should give the Goff/Kehl duo a shot at the job since I think Goff would make a great run thumper in the middle of our D while Kehl could be the third down mike since he's more fluid and a better cover backer. Sure we could use a stud here but that's more of a luxury than a need.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:

Last edited by Rosebud : 11-16-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Definitely agreed that Suh is the prospect who would most benefit this team.

As for our NT situation I've been on the Vince Oghobaase bandwagon for a while, he's long, but plays with great strength and leverage which is why I think he'll be a great fit at NT in a 4-3.

I'm going to disagree on MIKE being a need, sure if there's no great value at SS or DT and we have a shot at a guy like McClain or Spikes who would be great fits for our D I would go in that direction, but I think we should give the Goff/Kehl duo a shot at the job since I think Goff would make a great run thumper in the middle of our D while Kehl could be the third down mike since he's more fluid and a better cover backer. Sure we could use a stud here but that's more of a luxury than a need.
I haven't caught any of Oghobaase yet. The thing I like about Dan Williams is that he plays in a good program and against better competition. And he's looked damn good doing it.

He'd look good on our front.

If we're going to roll with Goff or Kehl, then they MUST start at some point this season. We can't go into the offseason blind about what we have in them. Gotta see what they can do before that.

If they don't get any snaps, then you have to assume that we need a MIKE. At the end of the day, they were 4th and 5th round picks. A MIKE like Brandon Spikes would do wonders for this defense.

Especially since AP can't shed a bock, and has been taking horrible angles this year. The few times Ive gotten to see some endzone cam on tv or whatever, every time AP looked god awful against the run.

So MIKE is a huge need. We don't know if we have the answer in house. Why gamble?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Not sure if you saw this or not in the Cowboys draft thread, but I've been tracking Dan Williams since before the season started. Every week, I add 3 new players to the watch list. Dan Williams was in the very first post along with Bryan Bulaga and Geno Atkins (I actually meant Jeff Owens, but got mixed up). You can see a brief commentary on stuff about him, but I think you might find it interesting. If not, not. But I thought I'd share.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...3&#post1876023
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Not sure if you saw this or not in the Cowboys draft thread, but I've been tracking Dan Williams since before the season started. Every week, I add 3 new players to the watch list. Dan Williams was in the very first post along with Bryan Bulaga and Geno Atkins (I actually meant Jeff Owens, but got mixed up). You can see a brief commentary on stuff about him, but I think you might find it interesting. If not, not. But I thought I'd share.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...3&#post1876023
Good stuff D. I'll definitely start checking this out more often as the year goes on.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:34 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if the Giants went after Greg Hardy though. I love Hardy, and have been a fan of his for awhile, but I would be upset at that move if we made it.

We have more pressing needs. But it wouldnt shock me if the Giants nabbed him anyway.
I am not sold on Hardy, I think Derek Morgan or Greg Romeus are better fits to be honest.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:35 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Good stuff D. I'll definitely start checking this out more often as the year goes on.
Dan Williams is someone I have been keeping an eye on for the Giants, I think he would be a real nice fit here
Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I am not sold on Hardy, I think Derek Morgan or Greg Romeus are better fits to be honest.
I'm a big Derrick Morgan fan. But I doubt he'd last to the 20s. He's a pick in the teens, and at that point, I'm definitely not thinking about DE.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:41 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ballin's Draft
Needs to address Offensively:

-C,G,T- best case scenario, Beatty develops into the left tackle we need, we move Diehl to LG, if McKenzie goes down Diehl moves to RT and Seubert backs up at G and C.

-PLAYMAKER- WR/RB type guy, not needed but would be very useful on offense and special teams and hard to match up to.

Needs to address Defensively:

-DT/NT- Where has our defensive line pressure been? are our FA signings just stopgap players? We need a guy that does what Ratliff did to us.

-MLB- Pierce looks awful, he knows what he has to do, he just cant do it with as much power and quickness as he needs to. Goff looks big, but do we have enough trust in him?

-CB/S- Im sorry, but im not as optimistic about Aaron Ross playing safety as you guys are, he isnt displaying the physicality he had in college at all. Antrel Rolle and him are very similar players but we cant afford a bad tackling safety.

There is no way that i let Rolando McClain slip away from us this draft. Seen too many ILB come straight from the draft and produce recently, we need one.

Also Kiwanuka is not benefiting at all by staying in NY, i love him, but i dont think we'll be able to hold on to him, pretty sure he's an RFA so we can trade him.

*3-4 Defense trades for Kiwanuka, suffers 1st and 5th rounders.

1.(trade away our first, future first, 4th) Rolando McClain
Yes we're going to miss out next year, but McClain is a talent that fits what we want and more.

1. (From Kiwi trade) Sergio Render- Yes a guard, we're losing our push as an offensive line, he can play guard or RT, its a fit.

2. Jahvid Best- there's no doubt in my mind that he will come out, he has alot going for him. He is going to be that burst that we need, Jacobs is losing a step, Bradshaw isnt producing ,enough Ware better prove himself.

3. Trevard Lindley- he is a good cover guy with height and physicality, seems like a FS to me.

5. Chris McGaha- next jordyzzzz nelsonzzz

5. ED WANG- we need an AZN lineman

6. Stevenson Sylvester- last year he really stuck out to me in that bowl game, he looked like a monster, a guy with a high motor, SP teams/guy who could develop into the WILL in our system.

7. KICKER/PUNTER

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BaLLiN : 11-17-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Ahmad's on pace for a 1000 yard season with 5 ypc and 7 rushing TDs. How is he not producing?

And we need a SS, Phillips and MIchael Johnson have FS covered.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-17-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ahmad's on pace for a 1000 yard season with 5 ypc and 7 rushing TDs. How is he not producing?

And we need a SS, Phillips and MIchael Johnson have FS covered.
okay, i meant when we need him. I liked the guy since before we drafted him, but im starting to question if he can ever be as good as he was last playoff season. We need him when we face teams that can beat us, not just when we're facing teams like Oakland, Kansas City, etc..

SS and FS should be relatively interchangeable. Michael Johnson has been brilliant sometimes, and others almost as awful as CC. I think Phillips should be SS with his body size and more reliability in tackling, we really need a safety that has range and can make plays. Im not asking for ed reed here, but someone to challenge those deep passes and make the opposing OC think twice before he goes long.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

i wouldn't mind trading the farm for McClain. He's the next Patrick Willis.

We can nab a safety in the mid rounds, or even in FA. we don't need a stud safety, just a solid SS who can support the run and provide decent pass coverage.

Worst case scenario KP's career is done, Johnson is very solid at FS, but we need a SS to compliment him.

We can find that in various ways.

A stud MIKE is hard to find. 2 guys I really like are McClain (obviously), and Brandon Spikes.

Brandon Spikes is more realistic.