Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC East Division Forum

NFC East Division Forum Discuss the NFC East

Old 08-21-2009, 01:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Head Spin: Your NFC East Defense

If you could put together your NFC East Defense, what scheme would you choose and who would be in it?

Here's mine!

* 2008 Statistics

DE Jay Ratliff - 6'4", 302 - 51 Tackles, 7.5 Sacks
NT Albert Haynesworth - 6'6", 320 - 51 Tackles, 3 FF, 8.5 Sacks
DE Brodrick Bunkley - 6'2", 306 - 47 Tackles, 2 Sacks

WOLB DeMarcus Ware - 6'4", 262 - 84 Tackles, 6 FF, 20 Sacks
WILB Bradie James - 6'2", 245 - 117 Tackles, 3 FF, 8 Sacks
SILB London Fletcher - 5'10", 245 - 133 Tackles, 1 FF, .5 Sacks
SOLB Justin Tuck - 6'5", 274 - 66 Tackles, 3 FF, 12 Sacks

CB Terence Newman - 5'11", 190 - 37 Tackles, 4 INT
CB Corey Webster - 6'0", 202 - 50 Tackles, 3 INT, 1 Sack
NB Asante Samuel - 5'10", 185 - 36 Tackles, 4 INT
FS Laron Landry - 6'2", 213 - 65 Tackles, 2 INT, .5 Sacks
SS Quintin Mikell - 5'10", 206 - 93 Tackles, 3 INT, 2 Sacks
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd probably take Sheldon Brown ahead of Asante, but if you want a ballhawk, Asante's a good choice. Other than that, I like your team.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I'd probably take Sheldon Brown ahead of Asante, but if you want a ballhawk, Asante's a good choice. Other than that, I like your team.
I like Asante's match up with quick slot backs.

I took Tuck over Osi because I'm not sure how good Osi will be after injury. I also think he's still getting better. I also almost took Trent Cole over Tuck. It was a toss up.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

4-3
LE- Justin Tuck
UT- Brodrick Bunkley
NT- Albert Haynesworth
RE- Trent Cole

SLB- Chris Gocong
MLB- London Fletcher
WLB- Rocky McIntosh

CB- Sheldon Brown
CB- Corey Webster
NB- Kevin Dockery
SS- Quintin Mikell
FS- Laron Landry

And since I know I'll here the whole Trent Cole < Osi thing...
According to footballs outsiders:

Quote:
While Trent Cole only had nine sacks, he led the league in plays made by an end, stops (tied with Justin Tuck), defeats, and was fourth in the league in hurries.
AND

When the opposing team ran to the left side of their line (the right side of ours) Trent Cole shut them down and the Eagles ranked 5th when ran on to the left and 3rd when the other team ran behind their LT. The offense was held to less than 3.31 yards a carry in both categories.

So please. I don't want to hear it.

3-4 front 7:

LE: Albert Haynesworth
NT: Jay Ratliff
RE: Chris Canty

SOLB: Brian Orakpo
SILB: London Fletecher
WILB: Bradie James
WOLB: DeMarcus Ware

Last edited by Thumper : 09-09-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no way Tuck could play 3-4 OLB.

and thumper, that whole Cole-Tuck quote you used is cool, but totally irrelevant, considering Osi>Tuck. So there's that. I'll post mine in just a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
SLB- Chris Gocong
Am I the only one who thinks DeMarcus Ware is flexible, agile and quick enough to be a dominant SLB in a 4-3? I love ef45's, whoops, I mean, Thumper's homerism.

Bunkley is not a UT.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks DeMarcus Ware is flexible, agile and quick enough to be a dominant SLB in a 4-3? I love ef45's, whoops, I mean, Thumper's homerism.

Bunkley is not a UT.
oh absolutely. I actually have him there on my team. The thing with the studs of the NFC east D is that they're so freakin' versatile and talented overall. Ware could easily play 4-3 SLB. As well as 4-3 DE.

Osi would make an awesome 3-4 OLB as well.

Tuck could be a great 3-4 DE. And if he bulked he could play 4-3 DT.

Not sure on Cole, and while I dislike him strongly, and in all honesty think he's not as good as Osi and it's close with Tuck, I respect him. Snipe, could he play somewhere else?
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Snipe, could he play somewhere else?
He probably would be a decent 3-4 OLB. He plays the run very well, so he wouldn't be a liability.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:47 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
He probably would be a decent 3-4 OLB. He plays the run very well, so he wouldn't be a liability.
he's a nice athlete, and he's quick, I just dont know how he'd be in coverage and how fluid his hips would be.
Quote:
Old 08-21-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Bunkley is not a UT.
Hey now.

I'll just didn't want to put DeMarcus Ware in a 4-3 front. But, if I had put him there he would've been put in over Gocong. But who is a better 4-3 SLB in the division? Darryl Clark? Brian Orakpo for 2 downs? Sorry but Gocong is the best 43 SLB in the division and that is kind of sad, because Gocong is god awful in coverage.

I forgot Albert Haynesworth in the 4-3 front but I'll fix that.

And I know Bunkley isn't a UT, but I feel he is better suited for UT because of his athleticism and because he dominated at that spot in college.

And I'm a homer because I think that Sheldon Brown is better than Newman and Samuel?
Sorry, Sheldon Brown was a top 5 corner in the entire NFL last season and here are the stats to prove it:
Season Totals: 63 attempts, 4.84 YPA, 44.44 Forced INC%, 0 TDs, 1 INT

Thats better than Newman who didn't make the top 50 and Asante Samuel who ranked out at #20.

And truthfully I think that Cole is a better all around end than Osi. Is that so wrong? Not according to the stats.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:

And I'm a homer because I think that Sheldon Brown is better than Newman and Samuel?
Please tell me where I said you're a homer for taking Sheldon. I'll be waiting.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:47 PM    (permalink
u8pp
Rookie

u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.

Seems fine except Sheldon is better than Newman. Less YPC, less yardage, less TD given up, etc. Not to mention Sheldon is day and night better at run support.
u8pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

thumper, you're a homer for taking Cole over Osi and stupidly justifying it by using a random stat that tied Tuck and Cole. And well, Osi's better than Tuck, so there's that. so, yea, fail.
Quote:
Old 08-22-2009, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Quote:
thumper, you're a homer for taking Cole over Osi and stupidly justifying it by using a random stat that tied Tuck and Cole. And well, Osi's better than Tuck, so there's that. so, yea, fail.
Really? Read it again. Cole beat Tuck in 3 of the 4 categories but they tied in one which was stops. Cole led the league in plays made by an end, stops and defeats and was 4th in QB hurries. And, did I mention that in addition to this he was one of the best run stuffing ends in the NFL?

Trent Cole has 65 negative plays in 3 and a half seasons of starting. Out of this world from a DE. The only rival to that is Jared Allen with his mind boggling numbers of 79.5 negative plays over the past four years of starting.

And could you please give me a half decent argument as to why Osi is better? Please, instead of just saying he is better, prove it. And until you can, you fail.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:12 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

well let's throw this out there: in just 9 more games, Osi has 7 more sacks and 6 more forced fumbles. He also, you know, was dominant in our playoff run and pooped on Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. When you talk of leading teams to the Super Bowl, Osi was probably the most responsible of any player (outside of plax raping Al Harris, but still). Osi is the best speed rusher in the game today, and is severely under-rated stopping the run.

and again, you justifyed having Cole ahead of Osi by using stats from last year. I'm pretty sure everyone had better stats than Osi last year. If you said it's because Osi's coming off injury, then fine, totally reasonable.

oh and there's that 6 sacks in a game thing. But i'm sure you're familiar with that.
Quote:
Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
u8pp
Rookie

u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.u8pp could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
well let's throw this out there: in just 9 more games, Osi has 7 more sacks and 6 more forced fumbles. He also, you know, was dominant in our playoff run and pooped on Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. When you talk of leading teams to the Super Bowl, Osi was probably the most responsible of any player (outside of plax raping Al Harris, but still). Osi is the best speed rusher in the game today, and is severely under-rated stopping the run.

and again, you justifyed having Cole ahead of Osi by using stats from last year. I'm pretty sure everyone had better stats than Osi last year. If you said it's because Osi's coming off injury, then fine, totally reasonable.

oh and there's that 6 sacks in a game thing. But i'm sure you're familiar with that.
Dwight Freeney says hello.

PS, do you really think he'll play up to that level again coming off of a serious knee injury? Not that I'm saying he'll suck, but you can't honestly expect him to have 14 sacks again, no?
u8pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by u8pp View Post

PS, do you really think he'll play up to that level again coming off of a serious knee injury? Not that I'm saying he'll suck, but you can't honestly expect him to have 14 sacks again, no?
oh trust me, I know about Dwight. Considering I've got like 4 autographed jerseys hanging around my house from him. I love the dude, him and Osi are 1 and 1A in terms of pure speed rushers. I love 'em both so much it's hard to choose between the 2.

and I believe he will, he's been on fire thus far. I think he'll come back into old Osi form. BUT, thumper didn't bring that up, he used Cole's stats from last year to say Cole was better. If he mentioned Osi's injury, that's totally understandable and I can accept that. But he didn't.
Quote:
Old 08-23-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

I'll openly say that Osi is probably a better pass rusher than Cole but what I'm trying to get at is that Cole is a better all around end.

I'm not using those stats to say that Cole had a better year than Osi because well.. Osi blew his ACL in the third Pre-Season game. What I'm trying to do is use them to show people how good of an end Cole is, not knock Osi.

Trent Cole is a better all around DE than Osi is.

And I'm afraid I lost you on the led his team to a superbowl part of your argument, seeing as he failed to even record 1 sack in the playoffs that year and had 10 tackles and he didn't even show up on the stat sheet on the Green Bay game. I think you might be confusing him with Justin Tuck and Michael Strahan...

And if Tra Thomas hadn't been injured that week, Osi would've had 7 sacks that year. ;)
Old 08-23-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
I'll openly say that Osi is probably a better pass rusher than Cole but what I'm trying to get at is that Cole is a better all around end.

I'm not using those stats to say that Cole had a better year than Osi because well.. Osi blew his ACL in the third Pre-Season game. What I'm trying to do is use them to show people how good of an end Cole is, not knock Osi.

Trent Cole is a better all around DE than Osi is.

And I'm afraid I lost you on the led his team to a superbowl part of your argument, seeing as he failed to even record 1 sack in the playoffs that year and had 10 tackles and he didn't even show up on the stat sheet on the Green Bay game. I think you might be confusing him with Justin Tuck and Michael Strahan...

And if Tra Thomas hadn't been injured that week, Osi would've had 7 sacks that year. ;)
I know Cole's a very good all around end. But Osi's run stuffing is severely under-rated. Osi's run stuffing is good enough to where add that to his superior pass rushing, he's a better end than Cole.

Did you watch the playoff games? Nearly every pass play Osi collapses the pocket, makes the QB move, makes him uncomfortable and makes him step up into the oncoming DT's (which Tuck was alot in pass rush situations in the playoffs) or the left side, occupied by HOF'er Strahan. Don't test my Osi knowledge. His ability to flush the pocket and disrupt offenses is almost as good as a sack. Tuck and Stray said numerous times how much they benefited from Osi and his speed off the edge.

And Osi owns Tra Thomas, especially now that's he's old.
Quote:
Old 08-23-2009, 12:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Trent Cole. Don't get me wrong.

But there is nothing that Cole does better than Umenyiora. Osi is a better pass rusher, and theyre equal as run stuffers. Osi is just better.

Nothing against Cole, I think he's underrated, but he's just not as good as Osi.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I like Trent Cole. Don't get me wrong.

But there is nothing that Cole does better than Umenyiora. Osi is a better pass rusher, and theyre equal as run stuffers. Osi is just better.

Nothing against Cole, I think he's underrated, but he's just not as good as Osi.
Care to revise this, bbd?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Care to revise this, bbd?
I do.

In fact, the opposite is true. There is nothing that Osi does better than Trent Cole right now.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u8pp View Post

Osi says hi back.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote