Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:42 AM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supporting Caste View Post
Haha! Good work. What the hell happened to Pegues?

Some guys I was hyping in the 2009 draft:

(Players I'm convinced I was right about)

Jairus Byrd (How wonderful would it be to have this guy at FS now? UGH)

Chris Wells (If he stays reasonably healthy he'll be a top 5 RB in no time IMO)

Hakeem Nicks (GODDAMMIT JERRUH YOU LET THE GIANTS GET THE NEXT IRVIN AND WE HAVE ROY WILLIAMS INSTEAD AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH)

Brandon Pettigrew (but who didn't like him?)

Michael Oher (see Pettigrew)

Kory Sheets (I know he's done nothing but I'm entirely confident this kid will be a starter, and a good one)

(players it looks like I was wrong about)

Brian Robiskie (WTF Rob? It is early though)
DeAngelo Smith (Relative to his 5th round pick status...but still. He was just horrible)
Mike Mickens (Relative to his 7th round pick status...I still can't believe him and Smith. WTF, guys?)

(jury's out)

Louis Delmas
Connor Barwin (Guy is an incredible athlete, that's for sure)
David Veikune
Rashad Johnson
Travis Beckum (though I said he should move to WR)
Jason Phillips
Jarrett Dillard
Scott McKillop
James Davis

Also, I thought LeSean McCoy would be a turd. He's been good so far.

2010 edition coming soon.
Might as well put the guys I like also.

Players who I loved before the draft and I'm convinced I'm right about them

1. Beanie Wells RB
2. Percy Harvin WR
3. Kenny Britt WR
4. Mark Sanchez QB
5. Jairus Byrd FS
6. Josh Freeman QB ( I like more than Stafford but not as much as Sanchez)
7. Austin Collie WR
8. Brandon Gibson WR
9. Brandon Pettigrew TE
10. Sammie Stroughter WR

Guys I'm wrong about
1. Jermey Maclin (to an extent) I still don't think he'll be worth a 1st round pick but so far he's been solid
2. Brian Orakpo
3. James Laurinitis
4. DHB has looked pretty bad so far but it certainly doesn't help catching passes from Gradkowski and Russell.
5. Sean Smtih ( He looks like he's going to be a player)

Guys I like who the jury is out on

1. Larry English
2. Ron Brace
3. Scott McKillop
4. Stephen McGee
5.Coye Francies
6. Fenuki Tupou
7. Gatrell Johnson
8. Mitch King
9. Connor Barwin
10. Kory Sheets
11. Brandon Tate
12. Drew Willy
romo4prez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
diesel
Rookie

diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diesel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was really wrong about Harvin, didn't think it'd carry over. I didn't care for last years draft at all. This year has to be one of the best we've seen in a while.

Last edited by diesel : 12-05-2009 at 01:24 PM.
diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:12 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Perrish Cox, 6-0, 198
Cornerback, Kick Returner
Oklahoma State University

2009 Stats
36 tackles (34 solo)
4 Interceptions
15 Pass Breakups (Leads the nation)
1 Fumble Recovery

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-foot...perrish00.html

2009 ALL-BIG 12 FIRST TEAM (COACHES): DB
2009 ALL-BIG 12 SECOND TEAM (COACHES): KR/PR

- Leads all active FBS players and holds the Big 12 and OSU record with four career kickoff returns for touchdowns.
- 2008 All-America kick returner as selected by Sportsline.com.
- 3rd nationally and first in the Big 12 with 29.83 yards per kick return in 2008.
- OSU record holder with 2,155 career kickoff return yards.
- Big 12 record holder with two kickoff returns in a season.

"If you haven’t heard of him yet, Perrish Cox will soon become a household name in draft circles. At 6-0, 198, he’s unlike many corners that have come out in recent years. His athletic ability and lockdown ability really make him a legit 1st round possible cornerback.

The main match-up I followed closely for Cox is when the Cowboys matched up against Georgia. Cox was opposite SEC 1st teamer AJ Green, and really managed to shut him down when Cox was in the game. He has long arms and outstanding ball skills to knock the ball away on red-zone fades and deep balls. A really under rated skills for a cornerback that Cox possesses is that he can not only read the quarterback for play indicators, but can use the receivers to tell exactly when the ball will arrive or where the route is going. He can really match-up man to man with bigger receivers because of his size, and rarely needs to be taken out of the game, outside of injury.

Cox also is a great tackler. He is great in open field and an either lay a big hit to a receiver, or trip up a running back with great consistency. Because of that skill and his great play in zone, a Cover 2 scheme could be an option at the NFL level. He has had a few off-the field issues in the past and doesn’t have great recovery speed, so those two things may result in him fading on draft boards.

Cox, who is as close as you’ll find in college football to a lockdown cornerback, also is one of the best return men in the country. A versatile athlete, Cox will definitely begin his assault draft boards very soon, and if you haven’t watched the Antonio Cromartie clone in Cox, I advise that you watch Cox work against some of the top receivers in the country."

http://optimumscouting.wordpress.com...sh-cox-report/

OVERVIEW

It did not take long for Cox to make an impact on the field for the Cowboys after a U.S. Army All-American prep career in Waco. He returned the opening kickoff of the 2006 season for a touchdown - as a true freshman - becoming the first 'Poke to do that since Barry Sanders in his 1988 Heisman season.

Although Cox's punt (12.1-yard avg. on 41 returns, one touchdown in 2006-'07) and kickoff (25.0 avg. on 86 returns, four touchdowns from 2006-'08) return skills are formidable, teams are more intrigued by his potential as a shutdown corner on the edge. He has the size and ball skills to go along with the speed obvious with the ball in his hands.

He was granted honorable mention All-Big 12 notice by league coaches in 2008 after putting together his second consecutive season (including 21 consecutive starts) with two interceptions and eight pass breakups. Another excellent campaign on defense and special teams - with some improvement in his ball skills and physicality - could find Cox being selected in the draft's first round.

--www.*************.com

ANALYSIS

Read & React: Recognizes routes (and whether he's the primary read) by receiver's body language. Keeps his eye on swing pass in the flat in zone coverage. Reads receiver screens, avoids the block and closes to make the play near or behind the line. A step slow attacking the ball in his zone or to chase plays.

Man Coverage: Should flourish as a press cover corner at the next level. Smooth hip transition from backpedal to run down sideline. Best in press coverage, using his length and size to neutralize the receiver, but could be more consistent getting his hands on jersey at the line. Keeps contact with receiver downfield to prevent separation. Often forces quarterback to look in another direction. Will lose his balance and footing on double moves.

Zone Coverage: Smooth pedal for his height and usually stays low. Maintains cushion for a few steps. Changes direction easily with receiver. Makes contact with receiver to knock him off his route before letting him go to the safety. Keeps eyes in the backfield in zone to make play on short throws or runs.

Closing/Recovery: Good arm length to knock away passes after recovering. Must learn to read receivers' eyes and turn for the ball in man. Can accelerate to the ball when it's in front of him, but has only adequate recovery speed if beaten off the line or on double moves. Only average hands for the interception, and will drop very catchable passes.

Run Support: Willing in run support, displaying the toughness to get after a ball carrier. Maintains outside leverage to keep running backs from getting the corner. Despite his height and well-developed upper body and leg builds, does not get off downfield blocks from larger receivers very well. Uses his speed to run around blocks on receiver screens.

Tackling: Closes on receivers well when playing off, and will wrap the legs or waist to secure the tackle immediately after the catch. Has the strength to lift receivers off the ground and plant them if in position. Drops his head when tackling in the open field, however, missing if the receiver has any elusiveness.

Intangibles: No major character concerns. Starting to take on a leadership role in the secondary. Good work ethic in the weight room, although it does not always translate on the field. Has three children. Solid kick returner with NFL size and speed but must improve his vision to find open lanes. Needs work on his blocking when in tandem return formation.

--www.*************.com

11/19/09 - SCOUTING THE DEFENSE: Improvement has been steady for the Cowboys. The defense makes correct reads and is often in the right place, while capable of big plays. CB Perrish Cox was the star of the Texas Tech win, intercepting two passes and also breaking up three passes. Oklahoma State allowed a respectable 307 yards through the air, holding Texas Tech far below its 400-yard average, which ranked second nationally. PLAYERS TO WATCH: CB Perrish Cox - The senior was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week after grabbing two interceptions against Texas Tech and also breaking up three passes.

11/04/09 - 2009 JIM THORPE AWARD SEMIFINALIST: Oklahoma State senior cornerback Perrish Cox is one of 12 semifinalists for the Jim Thorpe Award, it was announced. The Thorpe Award is presented to the nation's top college defensive back. A first-team midseason All-American by SI.com, Cox leads the nation with 1.86 passes defended per game. Matching up against the opposition's top wide receiver on a weekly basis, Cox has proven himself to be one of the top corners in America. He limited Georgia's A.J. Green to only four catches for 52 yards and no touchdowns in the Cowboys' season-opening win over the Bulldogs. Additionally, he held Texas' Jordan Shipley well below his season averages by limiting the Longhorn star to six catches for 64 yards and no touchdowns. Shipley entered the game averaging 102 receiving yards per contest. Also one of the top return men in the country, Cox is the Big 12's all-time leader in kick return yards. He was the Big 12 special teams player of the week earlier this year after a game-changing 74-yard kick return against Georgia. He is one of four Cowboys so far this season to make the semifinalist list for major awards, joining OL Russell Okung (Rotary Lombardi Award), QB Zac Robinson (Davey O'Brien Award and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award) and P Quinn Sharp (Ray Guy Award). The Thorpe Award list will be narrowed again on November 23, to three finalists who will be invited to the nationally telecast Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show on December 10. - Oklahoma State football

09/08/09 - BIG 12 WEEK 1 SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State, DB/PR/KR, Sr, Waco, Texas...Perrish Cox returned the opening kickoff of the second half 74 yards to set up an Oklahoma State touchdown in its 24-10 win over No. 13 Georgia. It was the ninth return of more than 50 yards in his career. Cox also had a 16-yard punt return and compiled 97 total return yards in the game. - Big 12 football

08/24/09 - Top 10 Senior Prospects: Big 12: 8. Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State, 6-0, 195, 4.44: This Cowboy brings everything a team wants in a starting cornerback: good size, strength and excellent speed. Cox's return skills (2,155 career kickoff return yards, four returned for TDs; 496 punt return yards, one for TD) will contribute not only to special teams, but also give him the chance to change field position on interceptions. The honorable mention All-Big 12 pick has also proven his ball-hawking skills by making six picks and breaking up 21 passes in three seasons. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange

[IMG]http://www.**************.com/images/perrish_cox_interview_feature.jpg[/IMG]

08/06/09 - 2009 THORPE AWARD PRESEASON WATCH LIST: Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State, has been selected one of 31 players to the preseason watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award, which is presented annually to the nation's top college defensive back. Cox leads all active FBS players and holds the Big 12 and OSU record with four career kickoff returns for touchdowns. A starter at cornerback who is closing in on several milestones in the return game and is a returning All-American in that category, he needs just 110 kickoff return yards to set the Big 12 career record. Cox finished the 2008 season with 32 tackles, eight pass break-ups and and two interceptions. - Oklahoma State football

07/24/09 - 2009 PRESEASON ALL-BIG 12 FOOTBALL TEAM (MEDIA): KR Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State 6-0 195 Sr/3L Waco, Texas, has been selected Pre-season All-Big 12 for the 2009 college football season as voted on by media representatives. Cox leads all Football Bowl Subdivision players and holds both the OSU and Big 12 record with four career kickoff returns for touchdowns. - Oklahoma State football

"He can help a team in so many ways, you almost don't know where to start."
-- Coach Gundy

...erm... I want this guy. So it will probably NOT happen. lol. :/

Last edited by D-Unit : 12-08-2009 at 04:15 AM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Lamarr Houston - Texas Longhorn DT 6'2" 300 lbs.

My thoughts: Lamarr Houston was a highly touted player coming out of Colorado Springs. He started his career at DE and played well as a freshman and very well as a sophomore for the Horns. He was asked to bulk up and move inside for his junior year. He trained as a boxer during the 2008 off-season in order to improve his inside techniques. After a slow transition his junior year, he exploded for the Horns as a senior, finishing with 28 QB pressures and 8.0 sacks.

July 2, 2009 - The rest of the Big 12 should consider themselves warned. Lamarr Houston is finally feeling comfortable at defensive tackle. After playing defensive end earlier in his college career, Houston moved inside last season to help fill a hole for Texas. A foot injury and his new surroundings kept him from really ever thriving at the new position last season. (ESPN’s Tim Griffin)

2nd Team All-Big XII (2009)

Arguably Houston was the most impressive Longhorn on defense during the BCS Championship game. Although Kindle had the sacks to show for it, Houston’s consistent pressure and run stuffing plays held the Alabama offense in check.

TKLS: 68
TFL: 22
PD: 4
FR: 2
Sacks: 8.0
28 QB Pressures

Lamarr Houston is currently projected by several draft expert entities to be taken in the 2-3 round range.

I see him moving back to DE in a 3-4 scheme. Would love the chance to take him. He is strong enough to take on the run but elusive enough to put much needed pressure from our DE position.
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!

Post coming soon...
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Oh Booooooooooooooooooooooyyyyyyys!!!!!!!!!

Guessssssssss what IIIIIIIIII foooooooooooooooound......

I know who I want if Patrick Peterson isn't there for us... and his name ain't Prince Amukumara... not Robert Quinn.... not Cameron Jordan... not Mark Ingram... and NOT Tyron Smith...

He is now the #2 guy on my Dallas Cowboys big board and he is a wUUUnderful player. I didn't see this earlier, because I kept imagining him as strictly an OLB, but my eyes have been opened! I think he could move to ILB in Rob's scheme or at worse, replace Spencer.

...and as I always do... Here is my overboard love fest post for the guy who has captured my heart.

#10 DE/OLB, Von Miller (6’3 243 lbs.) – Texas A&M Aggies

Von Miller is EVERYTHING Jerry looks for in a player. Plays one of those "flashy" positions that he feels comfortable using a 1st rounder on. Has the unworldly gaudy stats to back up what they see of him on film. Tremendous character. Team Captain, who inspires on & off the field. 2010 Butkus Award Winner who tallied enough votes to more than double the 2nd place runner up. An person who has strong core values. Went back for his senior season even though he could've been a 1st rounder. Finished up his degree in university studies with a concentration in life sciences. Tremendous versatility. Just like Bobby Carpenter who played DE/OLB in college only to move to ILB, I could see Miller being our future at ILB. He has that capacity but only in a way Carp could ever dream of having. However, I think Rob Ryan could use him in various ways, inside or outside to disguise the blitz. He has true sideline to sideline range and also displays the ability to drop back in coverage. Excellent wrap up tackler who doesn't let guys out of his grasp, but also can lay the lumber.

[IMG][/IMG]

Came across this scouting report as I was looking for pictures, but it's explains some of the reasons why I love him so much.

http://proprospects.wordpress.com/20...outing-report/

Instincts/Recognition: Very instinctual athlete. Has the ability to recognize the run and come crashing down the line of scrimmage, or recognize the pass and make a B-line for the quarterback. Solid awareness overall. Recognizes when he has no chance to get to the quarterback and gets his hands up to deflect passes. Sniffs out screens on a regular basis, but will need to improve his diagnosing of routes when playing zone coverage. Doesn’t always process routes quick enough, which results in completed passes.

Strength/Toughness: Miller is light in the pants to say the least. Is known more for his speed than his strength. Coming in at only 238 pounds, means Miller has little to no shot at playing defensive end in the NFL. He will more than likely play the jack outside linebacker position in a 3-4 defense. Is not a physical tackler. Lacks an initial pop. Is more of a wrap up and pull down tackler. Does a good job of translating his speed into power on bull rushes and inside moves. Very tough individual. Played more than half of the 2010 season with an injured ankle, but fought through it.

Range vs. Run: Has sideline to sideline speed. Has been reported to run a 4.5 forty. Can track down ball carriers from the back side consistently. Shows the ability to extend his arms and shed blockers, but is only average at holding the point of attack. Takes poor angles at times. Sometimes takes too wide of an angle off the edge, leaving a gap between he and the defense tackle/defense end. Needs to do a better job with sealing the edge. Moves through traffic well. His speed allows him to make a ton of plays in the backfield.

Pass Rush: Even though its cliche to say, Von Miller is explosive. Gifted athlete who can bend the corner, flatten out, and cause havoc for opposing quarterbacks. Closing speed is outstanding. Favorite move is the outside speed rush. Uses the outside speed rush to set up a nice inside move. He does have a spin move and bull rush, but those need further development in order to be consistently effective. Relies on his speed to often and gets pushed behind the quarterback a lot. Translates his speed into power when attempting the bull rush, but would be more effective if he were stronger. Nonetheless, his production is off the charts. In the last two years, Miller has produced 26 sacks, 7 forced fumbles, 36 tackles for loss, and 11 pass breakups. Insane!

3rd Down Capabilities: 3rd down is where Miller holds value. Has the pass rushing skills to consistently pressure quarterbacks at the next level and is athletic enough to hold his own in zones coverage. Wasn’t asked to cover all too often in college, but there’s no doubt that with the right tutelage, he can become adequate in this department.

Intangibles: Team Captain. Clean off the field. Two time 1st team AP All-American selection. 2010 Butkus award winner.

BOO YA, "BROCHACHOS (my new favorite word)"!!! ;) Expect to hear his name ad nauseum from here on out from me. hahahahaha.

Besides... we're getting Aso in FA anyways.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Brochacho... I'll take more plus rep for that btw.

Nice write ups. Miller at #9, idk, but I wouldn't mind having him either.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I think I forgot to mention that he's been playing in the 3-4 at Texas A&M as their Jack LB. So yeah... it'd be like grad school for him in the NFL as far as his education of the 3-4 goes. Where as other rookies would be starting from scratch.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Without further adieu:

Jeremy Kerley, WR, Texas Christian University.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GQqDEMjBLo

This team needs a slot WR. Roy Williams does not fit here. I don't dislike him, and I think he can be a solid WR in the right situation, but it is not here. Miles is 26, and Dez just turned 22. They are tremendous, young, go-to wide receivers who need to play on the outside, and Roy Williams is just getting in the way.

Now, we need a true slot man. A wes welker, devone bess type. One who can run the short, quick routes, and dominate a team's nickel DB's while Dez, Miles, and Witten are getting all the attention.

Also profiles as a terrific return man, which we need because our kick returners aren't cutting it, and we don't want to get Dez hurt on either punt or kick return.

Scouting report from another site:

Quote:
He can pass, he can run, he can catch, but perhaps most importantly Jeremy Kerley can return kicks. The former high school quarterback has done a little bit of everything during his collegiate career at TCU. From day one Kerley was an explosive athlete and everybody at TCU knew it.

Kerley has been the conference's first-team return specialist for two consecutive years and was also a second-team honoree as a wide receiver during his senior season. Kerley does not have blazing sub 4.0 speed, but he is extremely quick, runs great routes and has sure hands. His versatility is a plus, but Kerley deserves to be drafted in the fifth or sixth round on his return abilities alone. NFL scouts may boost him up their boards even further with a good showing at the Senior Bowl.
He has been on my man-crush wish-list since watching TCU obliterate Utah, and he has produced every time I've seen the horned frogs play. He has great hands, he's super quick, and he'll work perfectly in the slot.

As a former high school QB, he could also run the wildcat in a brad smith roll for us, with or without choice on the roster, because choice can't throw.

That is my prospect that I wish to hype up.

We need a true slot, make it happen Jerry!

Last edited by xxxxxxxx : 01-20-2011 at 10:48 AM.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

J.J. Watt - DE - 6’6 292 lbs. – Wisconsin Badgers

2009 Stats:
44 Tackles
15.5 TFLs
4.5 Sacks
2 Fumbles Recovered
5 Passes Defended

2010 Stats:
62 Tackles
21 TFLs
7 Sacks
3 Forced Fumbles
2 Fumbles Recovered
1 INT
9 Passes Defended

Awards and Honors:
Lott IMPACT Trophy
AP 2nd Team All American
1st Team All Big Ten
Team MVP
Finalist for Hendricks and Bednarik Award
Academic All Big Ten

If you're anything like me, the final minutes of the first Eagles game made you sick to your stomach. When Philly was gauging us for huge chunks of yards on that drive it became pretty obvious that our defensive line had become soft. In a draft that is deep with 3-4 Ends, there is one man who rises above all... and that man is J.J. Watt. Watt put up an impressive stat line over the last 2 seasons (106 Tackles, 36.5 TFLs, 11.5 Sacks), and at times dominated games this year. When you see Watt play the first thing that jumps out at you is his frame, Watt is every bit of 6'6 and has the ability to put on another 15 pounds if needed. The other thing about Watt that I love is his relentless motor, he's a former Walk-On who plays with the same kind of wreckless abandon that you see from guys like Jared Allen and Clay Matthews, always trying to make plays. Watt is known by his teammates as an emotional leader on and off the field, he is the type of guy who wants to come in and study film on his off days.

He has that blue-collar mentality where he wants to come in everyday and become a better football player. His stock has risen to the point where I'd be surprised if he doesn't get taken in the top 20. There are still some questions about his speed and athleticism but if he preforms well at the combine (which is what I'm expecting) it won't be crazy to think he could crack the top 10. He may not run a great 40, I'd suspect 4.85-4.9 range, but he is quick in tight spaces and has a nice repertoire of pass rush moves both as an edge rusher or an inside rusher. It is evident that our pass rush has suffered significantly since we let Chris Canty walk 3 years ago, our current Ends provide no pass rush or playmaking ability. Our Front 7 has the ability to become dominant, let's add another high energy guy to the mix who can creat havoc.

Quote:
JJ Watt Wins 2010 Lott IMPACT Trophy
Posted by Rory on Dec 12, 2010 under J.J. Watt
NEWPORT BEACH, Ca. – J.J. Watt of Wisconsin was named the 2010 winner of the Lott IMPACT Trophy at the annual awards banquet here Sunday night.

The 6-6, 292-pound Watt, a defensive end on the 11-1 Rose-Bowl bound Badgers, was presented with the trophy by Ronnie Lott. He is the first Wisconsin player to win the award. During the 2010 season, Watt led the Badgers with 21 tackles for losses, 10 quarterback hurries and seven sacks. He also forced three fumbles, recovered two, had an interception and blocked three kicks.

The other finalists for the award were Sam Acho of Texas, Casey Matthews of Oregon and Patrick Peterson of LSU.

The Lott Trophy is the only college football award where character counts. The student-athlete must be making an IMPACT on the field as well as off the field in such areas as academics, community and leadership. IMPACT is an acronym for Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community and Tenacity.

Wisconsin will receive $25,000 for its general scholarship fund in recognition of Watt’s achievement. Each of the runnersups schools received $5,000.

In addition to his prodigious skills on the field, Watt is an honor student at Wisconsin, twice being named an Academic All-Big Ten performer, and has formed his own charity, the Justin J. Watt Foundation to benefit local elementary and middle schools that lack funding (His foundation is modeled after the one started by former Lott Trophy finalist Myron Rolle).

Three times this season, Watt was selected the Lott IMPACT Player of the Week. Watt follows in the footsteps of former Wisconsin All-American Jim Leonhard, a 2004 Lott finalist, who, like Watt, was a walk-on. Watt began his career at Central Michigan, worked at a Pizza Hut for six months while trying to earn a scholarship at Wisconsin and eventually won a starting spot on the defensive line.

Named after Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott, the Lott is awarded to college football’s Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year. Now in its seventh year, the Lott is the first college football award to equally recognize athletic performance and the personal character attributes of the player.

Sponsored by The Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation in Newport Beach, the award is given to the player who exhibits the same characteristics Lott embodied during his distinguished career: Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community and Tenacity.

Past winners of The Lott IMPACT Trophy:

2004 – David Pollack, Georgia
2005 – DeMeco Ryans, Alabama
2006 – Dante Hughes, California
2007 – Glenn Dorsey, LSU
2008 – James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
2009 – Jerry Hughes, TCU
2010 – J.J. Watt, Wisconsin

(Scouting Report from http://proprospects.wordpress.com/20...outing-report/)

Pass Rush Skills: Provides a headache for offensive tackles off the edge when it comes to power. Possesses four excellent pass rush moves (rip, swim, hook, bull rush) and has the ability to counter against tackles when they decide to take away a certain move. Has decent speed, but not elite. A move to defensive end in the 3-4 is all but certain to happen once he reaches the NFL. Shows an initial burst once the ball is snapped. If pushed behind the quarterback, he continues in pursuit until the play is over. Gains good leverage on his bull rush. Shows the ability to change directions quickly when faking a outside move. Not real flexible in the hips. Wont consistently bend the corner and flatten out. Gets his hands on a lot of balls when he does not reach the quarterback.

Versus the run: Lower body strength makes him very stout against the run. Has long arms and uses them often. Instead of allowing lineman to get into his body, he extends his arms, and reads the play. Not pushed off the point of attack very often. His strength allows him to engage blockers and shed them immediately. Does get fooled occasionally on misdirection and option read plays. Plays with violent hands and uses them frequently. Does a good job of sealing the edge. Has the motor to chase down plays from behind.

Versatility: Slightly versatile. Can play the power defensive end in the 4-3, 3 technique defensive tackle on passing downs, and defensive end in the 3-4. Has almost no experience dropping in to coverage.

Instincts/Motor: Watt’s number one attribute is his motor. He is relentless and goes until the whistle is blown. Gets a couple sacks off of hustle alone. By the forth quarterback, lineman are worn out from his nonstop efforts. Instincts are good and still improving. Is able to recognize screens and quarterback rollouts. Still has some work to do on reading misdirection plays.

Intangibles: Blue collar worker. Leads by example on the field, in the gym, and off the field. Well respected by coaches and teammates. Won the 2010 Lott Impact trophy.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great write up on Watt. Definitely a guy I've been watching this year and agree with everything you wrote.

Just to touch on his biggest knock. Anyone who watched his final game saw how he was getting attacked. So when you say he should test well...I'm not sure i'm buying it. TCU actually attacked him by not blocking him as weird as that sounds. They would set him free and use the extra man to block up field...Watt didn't have the athletic ability to make the impact plays he had all season because they chose to block the 2nd level with the OT/TE. I think that is the big knock on him....top 10 is highly unlikely imo just for the simple fact that freaks go in that range and he isn't in that class. I'm a huge Watt fan...but he isn't a top tier athlete for NFL standards. That said he should be a lock as late first/early second round pick.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Yes, Yes! GREAT write up on Watt! THAT'S what this thread is supposed to be about!

If he's our pick, I'll be happy. I just hope he's not the next Chris Long.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Gabe Carimi

To go with another Wisconsin guy, I like Gabe Carimi for our long-term right tackle in the second round!

Height: 6-7 | Weight: 315

2010 Outland Award Winner
2010 All American
4-year All Big Ten
Took over left tackle once Joe Thomas left.

Strengths:
• Prototypical size with long arms and large hands
• Solid in pass pro with nimble feet to slide / mirror
• Fairly stout at point and gets good push in run game
• Decent strength and delivers a violent initial punch
• Polished technician with great hand use and footwork
• Intelligent with excellent instincts and awareness
• Very tough and willingly plays through pain / injuries
• Mature, hard working and is respected by teammates
• A ton of experience against top-notch competition

Weaknesses:
• Merely average athleticism, agility and balance
• Issues with speed and struggles to protect edge
• Not a knee bender, plays tall and leverage suffers
• Will too often gets caught reaching and leaning
• Falls off of blocks and does not sustain very well
• Has some trouble in space and at the second level
• Is not a finisher and may lack a killer instinct
• A history of injuries and durability is a concern

Notes:
Last name is pronounced "kuh-REE-mee" --- A four-year starter and team captain for the Badgers --- Named 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2009 and 2010 --- 1st Team All-American in 2010 --- Won the 2010 Outland Trophy as the nation's top interior lineman --- The Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2010 --- A civil and environmental engineering major who was named Academic All-Big Ten four straight years --- Very committed to Jewish faith and fasts during Yom Kippur --- Missed three games with a right knee injury in 2008 --- Missed half of fall camp in 2009 with a right knee injury --- Suffered left shoulder (AC joint) injury in 2009 --- Actually replaced Joe Thomas, the #3 overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, at left tackle in Madison --- Overrated blocker with all the tools to be a starter at the next level but is not the elite blindside protector and early first rounder that some have made him out to be.

(Draft Countdown review)

Carimi vs. Heyward (OSU)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPsgcj2ufI

Carimi vs. Clayborn (Iowa)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zin3JvllXm0

Solid run blocker and can anchor down versus bull-rushers. Does struggle some against speed, but with being at right tackle he will usually face the lesser of the two speed rushing defensive ends.

Last edited by UTPATS : 01-24-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am weeks ahead of this semesters work and have had what seems like infinite freetime this weekend so I decided to dig around a little bit for some interior OLine prospects. I realized that there is one guy who I have been totally overlooking (mostly because I thought he would be out of reach) who could in fact be a prized selection for our second rounder. Ladies and Gents, I present to you...

Mike Pouncey-Offensive Guard-Florida-6'4 310

Pass blocking: Provides a quick initial punch before easing out of his stance. Good balance and lateral agility to mirror the defender. Strong, active hands and long arms allow him to keep his opponent controlled. Can get a little high with his pad level, but shows impressive flexibility and core strength in being able to anchor against a quality bull rush. Struggled early in the year snapping the ball with accuracy out of the shotgun and getting his hands up quickly in pass protection. Has the agility to move back outside to guard.

Run blocking: Quick off the snap. Latches on, shows very good upper-body strength and lateral agility and can turn the defender away from the ballcarrier. Plays with good pad level and shows some nastiness in his game. Looks to drive his assignment downfield or into the turf.

Pulling/trapping: Good initial quickness out of his stance when pulling. Keeps a tight line around linemates, showing good balance and foot speed to get around the edge. Has light feet for a big man and can locate and get to his target in the open field. Effort isn't always consistent sustaining blocks at the second level. Effective trap blocker. Good initial quickness to turn and seal off the defender.

Initial Quickness: Efficient and athletic out of his stance, quickly gaining the advantage over his opponent. Typically gets in the first punch in pass protection.

Downfield: Has the balance and sure feet to be effective as a downfield blocker, but is a bit inconsistent in his effort. Flashes some nastiness, showing a willingness to make the emphatic block to try and intimidate his opponent.

Intangibles: Nearly identical twin brother Maurkice was Florida's starting center each of the past three seasons and was selected No. 18 overall pick of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Prior to Maurkice leaving Florida early for the NFL, the twins made most of their decisions together. Maurkice wasn't willing to sign with Florida until they offered Mike a scholarship, for example. The twins selected Florida over Florida State, Clemson, Miami (Fla.) and Michigan.

I think Pouncey could come in and start at either Guard spot. He flew a bit under the radar this year due to his switch to Center and his struggles with shotgun snaps, but as a Guard prospect he is probably my favorite in this class. In his pass protection he is an extremely agile athlete for his size and should have no problem in the NFL handling interior rushers. He gets after it in the running game by getting to the second level with ease and showing the ability to get good movement in his drive blocks. He takes pride in finishing his blocks. His versatilty in college tells me that he is a student of the game and has a good head on his shoulders. I'd love to nab this Pouncey twin and know he would add much need attitude to our offensive line.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

This thread needs a revival....

Introducing.... from the University of Georgia

#9 Alec Ogletree

Quote:
“You describe him in one word, which is ‘beast,'" - Jarvis Jones.

2012 Stats:

98 Tackles
8.5 TFLs
3 Sacks
6 PBU
1 INT
2 FF
1 TD

2nd Team All-SEC

For your viewing pleasure:

Few linebackers possess the natural athleticism and range of Ogletree. Once a highly touted Safety recruit, Ogletree spent his freshman season seeing time in the secondary starting 5 games and earning the team's 2010 Newcomer of the year award. Poised to be the next great Bulldog safety, Coordinator Todd Grantham had other things in mind. Realizing Ogletree's freakish combination of size and speed, Grantham suggested he move to Inside Linebacker. Ogletree blossomed, and is now garnering momentum to become a 1st Round pick come April.

Over the course of the season I had admired Ogletree from afar, but being that we ran a 3-4 defense with 2 mainstays in Lee and Carter, I never gave much thought to him being a Cowboy... that is, until Monte Kiffin arrived.

Ogletree is the prototype Mike for Kiffin's Tampa scheme, maybe the best one to come along since Brian Urlacher back in 2002. Tree's range for the position is second to none, and a LB core of Lee, Tree and Carter patrolling the middle of our defense makes it a no fly zone... talk about speed and playmaking ability. I have no doubt Alec will grab Kiffin's eye throughout the draft process and I'd welcome him gladly come 2013.

Quote:
Fast Risers: Alec Ogletree, Georgia Linebacker
Oct 12th, 2012 at 8:00 am by Greg Maddox

Jarvis Jones is the big, powerful v8 that drives the Georgia Defense, but Alec Ogletree is the turbocharger that pushes that defense to the next level.
Ogletree is a former highly-touted safety who has had significant playing time ever since his freshman year. After his first season he appeared to be outgrowing his defensive back-body and the coaches asked him to switch to linebacker. Unfortunately he suffered a foot injury and hasn’t gotten onto the field much until this year.
His physical attributes are quite impressive. At 6’3″ 235 pounds he has ideal linebacker size combined with above-average athleticism stemming from his background as a safety. He was suspended once as a freshman and then missed all but one quarter of last season with a foot injury.
Ogletree’s main opponent for the top inside linebacker spot is Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o. Te’o is bigger, stronger, but less mobile than Ogletree. Te’o could play in the middle of either a 4-3 or 3-4 defense, though he would be best as a 3-4 Mike-backer. Ogletree does not have the strength or frame to take on blockers in a 3-4 would be much better-suited to roam in a 4-3.
There is a good chance Ogletree will return to Georgia because he does have one year of eligibility left and this is his first season of consistent playing time. He is still very raw and needs to improve on his instincts at the linebacker position. His first step tends to be backwards rather than aggressively towards the line of scrimmage. He is good in coverage, but at this point it is probably due to his excellent athleticism and less to do with actual coverage ability.
Ogletree is definitely a player to keep an eye on. His athleticism will jump off the page at the linebacker position, but his raw talents may be better served with another year of polish.
Te’o is still my top inside linebacker due to his versatility and aggressiveness at the line of scrimmage, but Ogletree is an interesting name to keep an eye on.
http://withthefirstpick.com/2012/10/...ia-linebacker/

Last edited by TheFinisher : 01-14-2013 at 04:29 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

That's AWESOME. I love this thread!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
That's AWESOME. I love this thread!
Me too. Lots of good pros in this thread too, good track record for the DC posters lol.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

Great post on 'Tree... Those three linebackers would be scary!

Does 'Tree have any injury history? The only "real" knocks on Lee and Carter...
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
Great post on 'Tree... Those three linebackers would be scary!

Does 'Tree have any injury history? The only "real" knocks on Lee and Carter...
Only thing I found was he broke his foot in the season opener of 2011 and missed 7 games, but that's not typcially an injury that stays with you and the fact it hasn't given him issues since is a good sign.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

These thread needs to be used more... post coming soon.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Storm Johnson | Running Back | Central Florida

6'0" 209LBS 4.50

Quote:
Written by Dan Heins

Intro: Blake Bortles is the player that most are thinking of when you mention UCF prospects this off-season. I believe that you would be wrong to assume that Blake is even the top prospect coming out of Central Florida, let alone a top 3 QB prospect (a conversation for a different day). One of the benefits of having multiple skill position players coming out of the same school is that it really gives you twice as much film to watch and a slightly different perspective. One of the reasons I have become so attached to Storm Johnson is that when I watch tape of Blake Bortles, STORM is the the one that catches my eye. (UCF VS Louisville)

Size: Storm has interesting size for the RB position. At the combine he measured in at 6′ 210lbs, about 7-8 lbs less than his playing weight last year. Storm has the ideal frame to play at around 220lbs without losing any of his speed or lateral ability. He is an inch or two bigger than I prefer in my “ideal” RB builds, but when you watch him on tape he doesn’t look that tall. Storm does a very good job of playing low. He gets his pads down. I like Storm more at 217lbs than I do at 210lbs and expect that that weight loss was intentional to perform better in the combine drills. I would classify Storm as an “in-betweener” in terms of ideal RB size. He is definitely bigger (and plays bigger yet) than your typical 5’9″ 205-210lb backs but he’s not big enough to be considered a “power back” like Carlos Hyde at 235 plus. Storm has a sneaky amount of power but we will need to see what happens when he hits an NFL linebacker over and over.

Speed: Storm has very impressive straight line speed for a bigger back. He registered an official 4.60 forty at the combine but put down two unofficial 4.50′s and this speed is reflective of what you see on tape. Storm has the lateral quickness to attack the edges and really has light feet. He has a jump step that is very similar to Tre Mason in that it leaves defenders in a “Storm cloud” looking for shelter. He will need to focus on north and south running at the next level and I could see his confidence in his ability to break runs outside resulting in some negative plays.

Blocking: Blocking is where Storm’s 6′ frame really comes into play. He is big and long enough to be a very effective blocker at any level. Most importantly, he is able and willing. Storm will need to learn how to pick up the blitz in his new offense just like every other RB in this class. That being said, there is nothing on tape to indicate he will struggle in this area. His size will likely make him more effective as he won’t have to rely on a chop block every time when a guy like Clay Matthews is coming off the edge or on a stunt.

Receiving: Exceptional receiver. He is just fun to watch. He has exceptionally soft hands for a big back and his transition to WR is both smooth and impressive. His lateral speed makes him very effective on routes to the flat. However, he does have a very bad habit of being extremely right-hand dominant. He will have to work on this at the next level or teams that focus on take-aways (Chicago) will pick up on it early and often. Outside plays to the left will leave him susceptible for fumbles and strips. Storm did have a few issues with this and was benched in the first half of their game against South Florida last year.

Instinct: Storm has a very good feel for the game and his position. He knows how to use his size and his deceptive speed to his advantage. He has good vision and a natural smoothness to his running. He will need to adjust his “want” to bounce runs to the outside at the next level and will need to modify what he considers to be an “opening” to the outside. Those openings close a lot faster in the NFL and Storm isn’t SO fast that he can just disregard that and rely on his natural ability. His instincts as a pass catcher are impressive and fun to watch. Overall, his feel for the game is noticeable on tape. This is one of the most important things I look for when assessing RBs.

Summary: There is a Storm coming to the NFL. Lightning quickness and deceptive power that will leave defenders thunderstruck. But puns aside, there is a calm in this Storm that shows a natural understanding of the position and a skill set that can attack you on multiple fronts. Okay, puns aside for real this time. He’s a great prospect. Landing spot will determine everything for this group of RB prospects, but I fully expect the team that takes this young man to do so with the intention of using him early and often. Storm will get his chance early as he has the blocking and receiving skills to fill a 3rd down role. He also has the size and power to come in and take on 1st and 2nd down work as well.

http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/...son-rookie-rb/

#STORMWATCH
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

That was a fun read Finisher! I'll definitely contribute to this. Have a few sleepers in mind!

So yeah... this Storm guy would get me pretty amped up if we added him. Can't watch the youtube clips at work, but I'll check 'em out later when I get home
Old 04-26-2014, 11:08 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Cody Latimer | WR | Indiana

6'2" | 215lbs | 4.4 40 Yard Dash

2013 STATISTICS:
72 Receptions | 1096 Yards | 15.2 YPC | 9 Touchdowns

Quote:
In every pre-draft process there are a few players whose stocks rise dramatically at the last minute. This year it’s Cody Latimer. Interest in the Indiana receiver has gained a lot of traction in recent days, with predictions of him being a third-day prospect giving way to a new second-round projection.

Not that anything’s changed with his overall circumstances in that time. Unable to do anything more than the bench press at the scouting combine due to a foot injury, Latimer had to wait until his pro day in late March to run his all-important 40-yard dash and get the rest of his drills in for the NFL to see. And when he ran a 4.44-40 at 6-3 and 215 pounds, everybody perked up. Before that, Latimer could only sit on his college numbers — 135 catches for 2,042 yards and 17 touchdowns in three seasons — for a program that often had less than spectacular talent at the quarterback position. In 2013, he caught 72 passes for 1,096 yards and nine touchdowns, establishing himself as one of the sleepers at his position.

As to the hype surrounding his name, Latimer couldn’t have been less concerned about it when I spoke with him recently about the whole exercise.

“I try to keep it away from me, you know? It’s a lot of hype. So, I try to stay in my lane and stay focused. I have these visits, and I’m just trying to be the best I can be. My agent does a good job and keeps me updated, but I try not to talk about that too much.”

Instead, Latimer’s been busy training and getting ready for a draft that could see his name called sooner than many once imagined. When we spoke, he had either met or was getting ready to meet with 10 teams — “Buffalo, Philly, Oakland, Seattle, San Diego, Detroit, Jacksonville, Washington, Carolina, Baltimore,” — and keeping his head about him as things started to accelerate.

“It’s pretty much the same thing,” he said when asked what the common questions from teams tended to be. “They ask me what I think my best traits are, and what I think I need to work on, what kind of receiver would I classify myself as. They all want to know what your take is on yourself.”

As a result, it was easy for Latimer to give me a scouting report on himself — both positives and negatives.

“I use my hands well,” he said. “Being physical, blocking, playing special teams — that helps a lot. High-pointing the ball, and just being a playmaker. That’s what being a receiver is all about.”

He was just as expressive when discussing the aspects of his game that still need work.

“Just like every receiver does — my route-running. Nobody runs perfect routes. Getting open in windows at the next level; you’ve got to figure out different ways to get open. It’s a different ballgame.”

In the end, Latimer sees himself — quite rightly — as one of the better big receivers in this draft class. Teams are always looking for players who can win battles in short spaces (especially in the end zone), and Latimer has this ability.

“Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson. Keenan Allen, who came into the NFL last year and was making plays,” he said, when asked which current NFL receivers he looks to mirror. “Those big, physical receivers, as I just mentioned.”

The Keenan Allen comparison, in my opinion, is quite apt. Like Allen, Latimer doesn’t explode off the tape with demon speed — instead, he gets open and makes plays with toughness, route awareness and field intelligence. I believe that he will be an ideal number-two receiver in just about any NFL system. Allen was selected in the third round of the 2013 draft by the Chargers, and he responded with a fabulous rookie campaign — 71 catches for 1,046 yards and eight touchdowns. Latimer, under the right circumstances, could do the same.

“It’s just practice,” he says about what defines his game. “Over the years — these were things that, when I first came to college I didn’t know how to do. What I needed to do to get open. So I started doing drills with my coaches, and individual drills on my own — head movement, sticking my routes better. In small spaces, you have a [defender] around you, you’ve got to make a play. Just trying to catch the ball with my body, so the defenders don’t have time to get in there [and disrupt the play]. It’s just things you work on daily, when you’re out on that field.

“Nobody’s perfect, so you always have something to work on. The little things.”

And those little things are paying off — at just the right time.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/25/2014-nf...at-right-time/

Quote:
Indiana WR Cody Latimer's stock skyrocketing as draft grows near

When playing in the Big Ten Conference, posting 72 catches for 1,096 yards and nine touchdowns across 12 games will generally get you quite a bit of attention from NFL scouts and media draftniks. For Indiana University's Cody Latimer, however, all those numbers really did was get him an invite to the NFL Combine, which he was largely a spectator for due to a foot injury (he could only participate in the bench press).

That foot injury caused him to fly largely under the radar through most of the pre-draft process, but he shot himself up draft boards at his school's pro day in late March. Almost fully recovered from his foot injury, Latimer took part in the forty-yard dash and blazed his way to 4.39 and 4.43 times. Listed at 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, NFL scouts immediately took notice to this unique combination of size and speed.

Though his pro day was less than a month ago, Latimer's impressive skill set has transformed him from a borderline day two/three prospect into a potential first-round selection. Less than a week ago, ESPN's Mel Kiper slotted Latimer to the New Orleans Saints at No. 27 overall. On Wednesday, ESPN's Todd McShay called Latimer "the most underrated player in the draft."
Sure, McShay was a little late to the party - his colleague had already ticketed Latimer as a first-round pick - but there is certainly a buzz surrounding this ultra-talented youngster. "He did not drop a pass in five games I studied," McShay said. Unlike past size/speed freaks like Darrius Heyward-Bey, Latimer actually has the requisite football ability to make an impact at the next level. His background as a high school basketball standout shows on the gridiron, as he uses body position and high-pointing ability to snatch balls away from defenders. As I alluded to with McShay's quote, Latimer has great, soft hands (very much unlike Heyward-Bey), and he also uses his hands well to beat the press at the line of scrimmage.
The NFL loves both size and speed, and Latimer has both. His speed may even be underrated at the moment, as he ran his 4.39 forty while "limited" by that foot injury. It looked for a while as if someone could get the steal of the draft in perhaps the third round by landing Latimer, but the buzz picked up just a few weeks too soon - Latimer is a first-round talent, and even if he is not selected on the draft's first day, he won't last long in the second round.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...aft-grows-near
Old 04-26-2014, 01:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I don't like how he's skyrocketing but a nice mention and GREAT JOB on the Hype post!!! You've definitely turned up his name on the heat meter!