Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 AM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default December Steelers Mock (Thanks Mike Tomlin)

RD1- Reshad Jones FS Georgia
Ryan Clark is a free agent and has been beat in coverage. This kid hits like a truck and has great coverage skills.

RD2- Jason Fox OT Miami
Max Starks is not an NFL LT. Fox has that type of talent. Move Colon too guard and if we find a center we'd have a real impressive Oline.

RD3- Stefen Wisniewski OC Penn St
Our center play has sucked since Jeff Hartings retired. I believe this kid starts from day one.

RD4- Stephan Virgil CB VT
Doesn't drop interceptions. Something we greatly need. Also can play special teams.

RD5- Brandon Banks WR Kansas St
Stefon Logan has been okay, but not a game changer. This kid can flat out fly. And on top of that can play some receiver. Had over a thousand yards in '08. Imagine Wallace, Holmes, and Banks in a four receiver set. All 4.3 or under guys.

RD6- Torrell Troup DT Central Florida
I waited this long for a DT even though Hampton is a FA since I believe he'll at the very least get tagged. Troup has the takent too be a good tackle in the 3-4 system.

RD7- Pat Angerer ILB Iowa
We need a ILB that can cover and this kid can do that. He's fast and has a nose for the ball. The down side is he'd just over 6ft and only 230lbs. But he can add some bulk.

UDFA- Todd Reesing QB Kansas
Charlie Batch can't stay healthy as a back-up. And Dennis Dixon is a long way from being a reliable back-up. This kid is a gamer. He might be short and not have a gun but he can play. Kinda like Doug Flutie.
FordFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:13 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Jones in the box but i'm not sure how good his coverage is

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:59 AM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FordFairlane is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kP5nmyNSgk
Looks pretty good to me. I'd love to see him and Troy out there covering as safeties.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know why you have Wisniewski coming out as I have heard nothing about him leaving early and he's only a junior. You seem to be trashing the O-line, which you're about a year late for. Not that they are all-world or anything, but they've been pretty solid all year long.

And I see a veiled shot at Tomlin in the title too. You know, the coach that got us a superbowl win last year. Sorry man, but the Cowher days are over, and if you recall, his last season here was about the same as this one.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarocksoi View Post
I don't know why you have Wisniewski coming out as I have heard nothing about him leaving early and he's only a junior. You seem to be trashing the O-line, which you're about a year late for. Not that they are all-world or anything, but they've been pretty solid all year long.

And I see a veiled shot at Tomlin in the title too. You know, the coach that got us a superbowl win last year. Sorry man, but the Cowher days are over, and if you recall, his last season here was about the same as this one.
Well, what does he have to stay for? He's a first day pick now and most likely won't improve his stock much by staying. Usually there's one center that goes in round one then a few more go in the first day. He has a outside chance of being the top center so why stay? I'm not saying he will come out but he obviously might. And he won't say anything till after the Bowl game.

A year late? Eight sacks against the Clowns and on pace for 50 sacks in 15 games. Yeah, a year late. We obviously need an upgrade. Putting Starks back at RT and Colon at Guard with Kemo and having a decent young center would reduce those numbers greatly.

So we have a Barry Switzer caliber coach. Woo hoo. All he did is ride Cowhers coat tails. Now when he actually needs to coach he spews out so random movie line to motivate his players and lose to the Browns, Raiders, Chiefs and gets swept by the Bungals! When was the last time we lost to the Browns or got swept by the Bungals? He's a god awful coach that didn't get the job on merit. What did he ever do? Have a middle of the pack defense in Minnesota for one year. They are better off since he left. Whisenhunt on the other hand revolutionized how you develope rookie QB's. Look at how Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were developed cause of him.

The Rooney's wanted to make a point and it back fired. You hire the best person for the job. Instead they thought they could win with anyone ala Jerry Jones. I just hope this doesn't set the team back over a decade like it did with the cowboys. That's why I say pull the plug on this failed experiment now!

Last edited by FordFairlane : 12-13-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFairlane View Post
Well, what does he have to stay for? He's a first day pick now and most likely won't improve his stock much by staying. Usually there's one center that goes in round one then a few more go in the first day. He has a outside chance of being the top center so why stay? I'm not saying he will come out but he obviously might. And he won't say anything till after the Bowl game.

A year late? Eight sacks against the Clowns and on pace for 50 sacks in 15 games. Yeah, a year late. We obviously need an upgrade. Putting Starks back at RT and Colon at Guard with Kemo and having a decent young center would reduce those numbers greatly.

So we have a Barry Switzer caliber coach. Woo hoo. All he did is ride Cowhers coat tails. Now when he actually needs to coach he spews out so random movie line to motivate his players and lose to the Browns, Raiders, Chiefs and gets swept by the Bungals! When was the last time we lost to the Browns or got swept by the Bungals? He's a god awful coach that didn't get the job on merit. What did he ever do? Have a middle of the pack defense in Minnesota for one year. They are better off since he left. Whisenhunt on the other hand revolutionized how you develope rookie QB's. Look at how Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were developed cause of him.

The Rooney's wanted to make a point and it back fired. You hire the best person for the job. Instead they thought they could win with anyone ala Jerry Jones. I just hope this doesn't set the team back over a decade like it did with the cowboys. That's why I say pull the plug on this failed experiment now!

Something really weird is happening this year...freakishly weird...but I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet on Tomlin. We saw great things from him last year...the way he handled disgruntled players. He took over a losing record(for us), and only improved. Got us back in the playoffs and then a championship.
I just think that defending coaches aren't fooled by Arians plays anymore and they've figured out how to get to Ben.
THIS off season will be the one to watch for Tomlin. Does he make drastic changes with his staff; i'm actually really excited to see what a Mike Tomlin squad would look like?
He has to get at least 2 more years to prove he can run THIS team.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:05 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how many of those sacks were on ben and the WR's?? not the o-line???

i'd say 6 of the 8.

"Whisenhunt on the other hand revolutionized how you develope rookie QB's. Look at how Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were developed cause of him. "

WTF are you talking about???

please elaborate before i just rip this statement to shreds because of its absurdity

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 PM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
how many of those sacks were on ben and the WR's?? not the o-line???

i'd say 6 of the 8.
Ward, Holmes, Wallace, and Miller? Ben has a great receiving core. I am not saying Ben doesn't hang onto the ball too long looking for the big play. But he needs more than two seconds which he only had for half of those sacks.
Quote:
"Whisenhunt on the other hand revolutionized how you develope rookie QB's. Look at how Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were developed cause of him. "

WTF are you talking about???

please elaborate before i just rip this statement to shreds because of its absurdity

He simplefied what the QB looks at. He broke the field down to half and had him make quick decisions. He then upgraded a little bit more every week and now Ben uses the whole field and makes pre-snap reads. But he took it in baby sets. He didn't throw the playbook at him and say learn it all. he said this is what I need you to know and we'll add from their. Exactly how the developed Flacco and Ryan.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

He stays another year to get better and to play another season at Penn State. Plus, he wasn't even all that great this year and was struggling to get used to the center position for some of the year. I don't think he would get drafted at all, and at least not before the 6th or 7th round.

And get over Cowher already. You know who was the last coach to lose to the Browns? Cowher. You know the last coach to get swept by the Bengals? Cowher. OMG Cowher sucks he was just riding the coattails of Knoll. Tomlin certainly deserved the job. He basically walked in there with almost no shot and came out with the head coaching job of the Steelers. If you can convince the Rooneys that you deserve one of the best jobs in the NFL then you certainly do deserve it. And no Whisenhunt didn't revolutionize anything. Limiting a rookie to what he is able to handle and keeping it simple isn't "revolutionary". It's called not being dumb. If he threw Ben in there and asked him to do the kinds of things that Veteran QBs have to do, we would have lost most of those games that year.

If you want Wiz as your head coach so badly, go root for the Cards. You know, the team that lost to Steelers coached by Mike Tomlin in the last Superbowl.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah and wiz didnt invent how to develop a QB, thats how its been done... ever since they threw bradshaw to the dogs i would guess

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
FordFairlane
Rookie

What are you two talking about? They threw him too the dogs? He was developed like every other rookie QB? Get real. How quickly you forget. There were stories, articles, NFL countdown blocks all about how whisenhunt developed Roethlisberger. Which was implimented by the Ravens and Falcons for their young signal callers. It might of been simple but was revolutionary. It starts off as a pre snap easy read. If you have two receivers to the strong side and one to the weak side you see where the safeties are leaning. Are they going to cover the strong side since there are two receivers or hold where they are and not play to the offensive strength. If they look like they are going to play the two receivers that should leave the weak side receiver singled up with limited safety help. So that would be the side you'd look to throw too. If they look to be holding their positions then the strong side with two receivers would be the side to throw too. Now the QB just looks to that one side to throw. Not stare down a receiver but keep your eyes only on that side. Now that limits you if a big play opens up on the other side but makes it an easy read when the ball is snapped since you only worry about half the field.

Now look at Big Bens rookie year and look at Ryans and Flaccos and how their offenses were ran. You'll see some similarities. And if you don't believe me tell me how Ben, Flacco, and Ryan all had top four rookie QB seasons in NFL history?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
WorldBFree
Rookie

WorldBFree is a cocksman.WorldBFree is a cocksman.WorldBFree is a cocksman.WorldBFree is a cocksman.WorldBFree is a cocksman.

Quote:

So winning the division one year and the Super Bowl the second year don't count but having a losing season is definitive proof that Tomlin can't coach. I don't buy it. As for the experience, take a look at coaches who are being hired. Harbaugh had no experience as a coordinator when he got hired in Baltimore. McCarthy had little OC experience when he got hired. Young coaches are getting hired all the time. Look at the experience Cowher had as a coordinator.

I don't understand your Whiz fetish at all. His teams come out flat all the time. Do you remember the game last year against New England when the Cards quit and got beat by 40? What about just last week when they laid an egg against the Niners. I doubt you would ignore those types of losses if Tomlin had them.

Tomlin is a young coach who is still learning about his team. I expect some changes in the off season to the staff and that should help. If you are going to talk about Tomlin winning based on inheriting players from Cowher, you should also point out that Tomlin inherited Arians from Cowher as well. Arians was set to be OC before Tomlin took the job.
WorldBFree is offline   Reply With Quote