Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:41 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vikes have been very solid again, though the Winfield injury had us depleted for a while.

Our biggest problem statistically would probably be how effective the offense has been. Both Packers games we gave up a lot of yards as they threw trying to come back. Our 2 losses were as much on the offense as the defense, though they were not particularly impressive against the Cards.

Still, I said I felt the Packers would probably have the best defense in the division at the start of the year and I still feel that way, even though two key reasons for that thought are out(Harris and Kampman). Woodson has just been superhuman.

Also worth noting, the top teams this year defensively all have at least one elite CB(Jets, Packers, Bengals and Broncos). The teams that were elite last year that have fallen off have had secondary injuries and losses(Vikes, Philly, Pittsburgh and Ravens). I continue to believe that the secondary is the most important element to a consistently good defense as it allows you to blitz to cover up for a weakness elsewhere, you just can't consistently get the kind of pressure required from just 4 players to make up for a weak secondary. See the Vikes v Cards game and the Vikings almost certainly have the best front four in the league.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
huh?
Champ Bailey was elite two years ago.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:04 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_29 View Post
He was obviously talking about Andre Goodman. Duh!

;)
Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
my bad. i realize now he meant teh ortonz. you literally can't throw against the neckbeard when he gets the jack in him.
I have a stat for you:

Orton:
Pass completion: 0%
Passes at Orton: 0
TDs allowed: 0
Passes allowed: 0

BADASS

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Valid point, the Packers are also 9th in scoring though which you left out.

The Jets defense has only allowed 16 touchdowns this year, next best is 19, and the Packers have allowed 28. Special teams and offense have accounted for 7 of the touchdowns the Jets have allowed this year, almost 1/3. The Packers have also allowed only 9 field goals this season, a sign that when teams get in close they tend to buckle and allow the TD. The Jets have allowed 17, more than teams have scored touchdowns against them.

I can see where you are coming from, but you really can't deny that the Jets are getting it done. First in total yards and PPG, and less of those points are because of the defense than the Packers. It's always going to be up for discussion because there are so many variables, but statistically the Jets have been tremendous, and that's without Jenkins for a few weeks now.
Too true. I'm not arguing that they're the best but the Jets aren't the far and away favorite as best defense. I can see how someone can opt for Green Bay. You lose Jenkins, we lose Kampman and Al Harris.

You make some valid points in favor of the Jets but I feel like my homer glasses are in the way here of accepting the fact that they're statistically better. If I had to choose between the defenses for a game right now, give me Green Bay. They've been playing as the best since the Dallas game. I wish there were some way to sort what defense has been the best since a certain week. My money would be on Green Bay since Week 10.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He is still pretty damn good. Would still be in the top 10, possibly top 5 corners in the league and whilst he isn't what he used to be, that is still a hell of a corner.

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:43 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you think the Bengals have an 'elite' corner than I'm going to go ahead and say you use the term 'elite' too loosely. To me, there are 3 elite corners in the league right now. None on the Bengals though they have a very good pairing.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Too true. I'm not arguing that they're the best but the Jets aren't the far and away favorite as best defense. I can see how someone can opt for Green Bay. You lose Jenkins, we lose Kampman and Al Harris.

You make some valid points in favor of the Jets but I feel like my homer glasses are in the way here of accepting the fact that they're statistically better. If I had to choose between the defenses for a game right now, give me Green Bay. They've been playing as the best since the Dallas game. I wish there were some way to sort what defense has been the best since a certain week. My money would be on Green Bay since Week 10.
You can't go wrong with either defense really. Both have played very well. I'm not sure I was saying the Jets are better or worse, just presenting some evidence that they have had a damn good defense this year, which I think we have.

All of this discussion though, means to me that while there are obviously homers like myself, there is no dominant defense this year. There have been a few defenses that have played very well, but no team that really strikes fear in opponents and will just outright dominate the opposition. But there are a lot of great defenses to choose from, the Packers and Jets among them. Love what the Bengals have put together too over the years, and the Broncos' shift from last season to this season has been tremendous as well.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am going to be watching Jonathan Joseph very closely on Sunday, to me he has the whole package (except hands. nearly the whole package) as a corner and in the next few years will cross that line into ridiculous eliteness.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
I am going to be watching Jonathan Joseph very closely on Sunday, to me he has the whole package (except hands. nearly the whole package) as a corner and in the next few years will cross that line into ridiculous eliteness.
I go back and forth on him and Hall on which is better. Joseph is an elite type cover corner but Hall makes more plays. They make our pass rush happen, both can be left alone with no issues. Both of them and Peko are what makes this defense happen.

Both Hall and Joseph are tied for second in pass deflections behind Revis. They also have 5 INT's a piece, they're amazing lol.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If you think the Bengals have an 'elite' corner than I'm going to go ahead and say you use the term 'elite' too loosely. To me, there are 3 elite corners in the league right now. None on the Bengals though they have a very good pairing.
For me elite would entail that you are probably in the top 10 corners. There is certainly a separation right now between Aso, Revis and Woodson from the rest, but both Hall and Joseph are probably in the top 10 which is good enough for elite for me. Elite means the best group, a fair bit better than the average. Given each team these days effectively has 3 corners who will see serious time, thats 96 guys, if you are in the top 10 then in my book thats enough to be elite.

I did not say they had the leagues top corner, I used elite for that reason, though both Hall and Joseph are on that second tier behind the top 3.

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
For me elite would entail that you are probably in the top 10 corners. There is certainly a separation right now between Aso, Revis and Woodson from the rest, but both Hall and Joseph are probably in the top 10 which is good enough for elite for me. Elite means the best group, a fair bit better than the average. Given each team these days effectively has 3 corners who will see serious time, thats 96 guys, if you are in the top 10 then in my book thats enough to be elite.

I did not say they had the leagues top corner, I used elite for that reason, though both Hall and Joseph are on that second tier behind the top 3.
No, elite is the top 3-5 corners in the game. Actually, in all honesty, there's no set amount of players in that can be considered 'elite' at any point in time, but there's no way there's no way there's 10 elite corners in the game.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:39 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
my bad. i realize now he meant teh ortonz. you literally can't throw against the neckbeard when he gets the jack in him.
2/3rds of the world is covered by water. The rest is covered by Orton's neckbeard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post

No big deal. Guess we have different understandings of the word elite. Elite, right now, describes guys like Woodson, Revis, and Asomugha to me. The tier below them, I consider very very good. Elite is a strong word.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
2/3rds of the world is covered by water. The rest is covered by Orton's neckbeard.
It takes 2/3rds of the worlds water to wash that beard.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

As great as the Packers D has played at times this year, I don't think they are #1 for the sole reason of who they've done it against. They've played the Bears twice, Rams, Browns, Lions twice, and the Buccs. They also, gave up 38 to those Buccs in a loss, the same team the Jets just held first down less over an entire half.

I know that those are the teams they were given to play so there's not much they can do, but 6 of their 9 wins have come from those lowly opponents. Against the current playoff teams such as the Bengals, Vikings (twice), and the Cowboys they gave up an average of 26.5 points and had a 1-3 record(3 of those were home games).

I would rather take the Bengals, Jets, or Broncos over the Packers D. Not that they aren't good, but I don't think they are #1.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
It takes 2/3rds of the worlds water to wash that beard.
You're assuming he even washes it.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Inside Kyle Orton's unwashed beard, you can find enough food crumbs to feed all of Africa... and enough Jack Daniel's to give them all cirrhosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I had to pick one Defense to play with so far this year...I'd probably take the Vikings right now. I didn't look at any stats to back that up but I like the way they play.
2 Live Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:35 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
As great as the Packers D has played at times this year, I don't think they are #1 for the sole reason of who they've done it against. They've played the Bears twice, Rams, Browns, Lions twice, and the Buccs. They also, gave up 38 to those Buccs in a loss, the same team the Jets just held first down less over an entire half.

I know that those are the teams they were given to play so there's not much they can do, but 6 of their 9 wins have come from those lowly opponents. Against the current playoff teams such as the Bengals, Vikings (twice), and the Cowboys they gave up an average of 26.5 points and had a 1-3 record(3 of those were home games).

I would rather take the Bengals, Jets, or Broncos over the Packers D. Not that they aren't good, but I don't think they are #1.
Like you said, there isn't much we can do about our schedule so even bringing it up is an attempt to use it against us. This isn't college football where we get to pick our out of conference schedule and have cake walks. These teams are set to match up years in advance.

And if we're looking at these two teams against playoff teams then lets. The Jets just so happen to be less impressive against potential playoff teams this year, may be that they've faced more being the wild card situation in the AFC but so be it. They come away with a 1-5 record and give up 24.8 points per game including only 9 to the Patriots in Week 2. This also includes a 3 game losing streak (2 at home) sandwhiched in between wins against the Raiders, Bills (whom they did lose to at home), Panthers, and Bucs. It'd be tough to find a weaker stretch of games aside from the Packers but that's neither here nor there. During that three game losing streak, opponents scored 28.3 against the Jets. Those three games happened to be against Jacksonville, Miami (whom the Jets are 0-2 against this year and allowed 30.5 ppg), and New England. All in the race for a playoff spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Live Crew View Post
If I had to pick one Defense to play with so far this year...I'd probably take the Vikings right now. I didn't look at any stats to back that up but I like the way they play.
Cool story, brah.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No big deal. Guess we have different understandings of the word elite. Elite, right now, describes guys like Woodson, Revis, and Asomugha to me. The tier below them, I consider very very good. Elite is a strong word.
That is probably fair enough, though I think that Joseph is very, very close to those guys. With that distinction made, it is still a very common trend that the top defenses have "elite to very, very good corners" and the two defenses that have fallen the most notably from last year have both had injuries and problems at CB(Vikes & Steelers).

It just seems that with the rule changes the league has made to protect the QB and limit coverage that it has made the elite/very, very good CBs and safeties even more valuable. You can't limit a QB with fear tactics anymore, basically if you don't get sacks you pretty much can't touch them so you have to cover like a mofo to limit and also to help get sacks. A look at the top defenses shows an elite safety, cb or both without fail. The only team in the top 10 in points allowed that doesn't have either is the Colts and their offense is sort of a special factor in ppg defense stats.

Props to BK on the sig!