Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 PM    (permalink
eagles6606
Rookie

eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Donovan Mccnab

Since a lot of people are calling for Donovan's head, I feel the need to defend him. First of all, let me explain what happenned in last nights game. As usual, the Eagles failed to establish the run. This allowed the Cowboys to keep their safeties deep and prevent Maclin and Jackson from getting downfield. The Cowboys cornerbacks completely shut down Jackson and controlled Maclin except for the or gimmick play. Mcnabb had no where to go with the ball. The Eagles line could not contain the pass rush and Donovan was running fir his life most of the game. This was partially because we had our backup center in, partially because Mccoy isn't very experienced in picking up the blitz, and mainly because the Cowboys pass rushers were just better than us. I'm not saying Donovan could not have played better, but it certainly wasn't his fault. A QB who is not as mobile as Mcnabb (specifically Kolb) would have gotten killed last night. Even if we had Peyton or Brady back there, I don't think we would have won the game.
Throughout his whole career, Donovan has been a winner. He has been successfull without good recievers. The one year when he had recievers, we went to the super bowl. In the regular season, Mcnabb has the third best TD to INT in the NFL of ALL TIME. That is very impressive. Yes Donovan is a streaky QB and sometimes he completely loses his accuracy. However when he gets into a bad streak, he doesn't turn the ball over and still gives his team
a chance to win. Let's compare Donovan to Kolb, who would replace
Mcnabb if he was traded. Donovan is a mobile QB, he is very good at escaping the rush, has a good deep ball, and is a proven winner. He is also a very streaky with his accuracy and could be a better leader. Kolb is theoretically more accurate, less streaky, and a better leader than Mcnabb. However he is no where near as good at escaping the pocket as Mcnabb and his arm/deep
ball is not as good. On a team based on speed (Maclin and Jackson) a QB who can throw deep and extend the play is essential. Kolb has a good future, but he is not in Mcnabb's league.
I understand people's frustration that we haven't won a super bowl, I am frustrated too. Replacing Donovan is not the answer. Instead the Eagles should improve the team they already have. Next year Jackson, Maclin, Celek, Peters, Justice, and Mccoy should all be better. We need to resign Weaver and Avant, get a monster left defensive end, a starting free safety, and an upgrade at strong side linebacker. This is the most talented offense the eagles have had in many years and it will only get better. Donovan is an experienced QB and a proven winner. With some growth and 2 or 3 significant upgrades on defense, the Eagles will be an extremely dangerous team.
eagles6606 is offline   Reply With Quote